First negative reaction on the EUC

Steef Klonoa

5 hours ago, Smoother said:

I do think the full face helmets play a big part in this incident.  Who else wears these helmets?  Motorcycle and scooter riders.  So, at a quick, uneducated look. you look just like a motorcycle rider.

Weren't they riding a path where motorcycles are not allowed? I would think that in this case it plays a role to be dressed up like a motorcyclist.

55 minutes ago, Nic said:

Roads and paths are for transport and getting around ... they aren't mean't for having fun.

It depends, there are more and more paths that are build for the fun of moving, not for transportation.

28 minutes ago, Mono said:

Weren't they riding a path where motorcycles are not allowed? I would think that in this case it plays a role to be dressed up like a motorcyclist.

Well according to the OP @Steef Klonoa "We went down to this bike path that is near where we live. It goes through a few different suburbs and there are some cool off road trails that branch off it.

Apparently motorized vehicles aren't allowed on this path. We were fully kitted up with face helmets, knee pads etc. and we were cruising pretty fast probably 15-20mph."

I take his use of the word "Apparently" to mean it's true but I didn't know it.  One could probably get away riding an ebike on a path like this because it is not more visually threatening than a standard bike; which have been in the collective psyche for over 100 years and are simply part of the fabric of civilization.  In fact I ride my EUC on paths like this all the time.  Courtesy and respect around peds' is the way to go.  Saying "hi" or "good morning"  or giving a nod or a wave doesn't hurt either.

I think most of us have been told at least once "hey, those are illegal" or "no motorised" vehicles" or "no Cycling".  That's usually as far as it goes.  Just ride on and ignore it. 99% of the complainers do nothing more.  They've had their say and can't be bothered to escalate it.

23 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

In the United States there are legal definitions (created long before EUCs) which define what a motorized vehicle is. An EUC doesn't meet the definition, just as an electric skateboard doesn't.

23 hours ago, Nic said:

California passed a Bill in 2015 to legalise personal electric vehicles, as before this they were illegal...

https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billTextClient.xhtml?bill_id=201520160AB604

22 hours ago, Bobjai69 said:

Hey Marty - you got schooled

Here's the text in question, California Vehicle Code 313.5:

313.5. An “electrically motorized board” is any wheeled device that has a floorboard designed to be stood upon when riding that is not greater than 60 inches deep and 18 inches wide, is designed to transport only one person, and has an electric propulsion system averaging less than 1,000 watts, the maximum speed of which, when powered solely by a propulsion system on a paved level surface, is no more than 20 miles per hour. The device may be designed to also be powered by human propulsion.

EUCs meet the floorboard requirement. However some EUCs have motors more powerful than 1000 watts and/or can go faster than 20mph. Those that exceed 1000 watts or 20mph do not meet the California definition of "electrically motorized board" and therefore aren't subject to any restrictions on them.

When I ride with three women, everyone thinks the EUCs are cute. We get a lot of thumbs up. When I ride alone people tend to be a little more concerned. ( female privilege I guess) 

Perception is a big thing in a world that runs on feelings. 

On ‎12‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 10:14 AM, Marty Backe said:

Fortunately in California, where I ride, we have a 2016 law which I can refer people to (which I've done to police also). We are legal anywhere a bicycle is legal unless explicitly forbidden.

What's this law, might be useful to know as someone who also rides in socal

Oh, should have read the rest of the thread, if 313.5 is it, then nvm then

You all forget, riding where you want to ride (in a responsible manner) also gets people used to EUCs and other ridables. Legal or not. This is also how you can get better rules ("we have to react to... because it exists").

There's always going to be some rare whiner who may or may not be technically in the right. So what. The overwhelming reaction to our wheels is positive.

Ride (responsibly) and be seen is the motto of these our times:efee47c9c8:

1 hour ago, Elder Meat said:

Here's the text in question, California Vehicle Code 313.5:

313.5. An “electrically motorized board” is any wheeled device that has a floorboard designed to be stood upon when riding that is not greater than 60 inches deep and 18 inches wide, is designed to transport only one person, and has an electric propulsion system averaging less than 1,000 watts, the maximum speed of which, when powered solely by a propulsion system on a paved level surface, is no more than 20 miles per hour. The device may be designed to also be powered by human propulsion.

EUCs meet the floorboard requirement. However some EUCs have motors more powerful than 1000 watts and/or can go faster than 20mph. Those that exceed 1000 watts or 20mph do not meet the California definition of "electrically motorized board" and therefore aren't subject to any restrictions on them.

People don't know anything about EUCs, including the police. Yes, in a court of law some EUCs would not be legal in California. I'm not very worried.

38 minutes ago, RockyTop said:

When I ride with three women, everyone thinks the EUCs are cute. We get a lot of thumbs up. When I ride alone people tend to be a little more concerned. ( female privilege I guess) 

Perception is a big thing in a world that runs on feelings. 

Same thing when I would ride with my grandson. Awe... thats cute. 

Wow...three women. Nice! No one should complain. Since my wife won’t ride wondering  if a blow up doll might work?

24 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

People don't know anything about EUCs, including the police. Yes, in a court of law some EUCs would not be legal in California. I'm not very worried.

I think you misunderstand, Marty. CVC 313.5 simply defines what is considered an "electrically motorized board". If it doesn't meet those three criteria, then it isn't an "electrically motorized board". So a 14 year old riding an Inmotion V10F can not be cited for CVC 21291 which states, "An electrically motorized board shall be operated only by a person who is 16 years of age or older." 

Nothing in CVC 313.5 requires EUCs to be less than 1000 watts or go slower than 20mph.

10 minutes ago, Elder Meat said:

I think you misunderstand, Marty. CVC 313.5 simply defines what is considered an "electrically motorized board". If it doesn't meet those three criteria, then it isn't an "electrically motorized board". So a 14 year old riding an Inmotion V10F can not be cited for CVC 21291 which states, "An electrically motorized board shall be operated only by a person who is 16 years of age or older." 

Nothing in CVC 313.5 requires EUCs to be less than 1000 watts or go slower than 20mph.

Marty got it right.

11 minutes ago, Elder Meat said:

Even if it did, the code says an average of 1,000 Watts. Even my MSX keeps an average below 1,000 watts. I can also set the speed limit to 19 MPH. 

OP, this is EXACTLY why you should be going FAST enough that pedestrians can’t even yell at you quick enough😄 I think 25mph minimum for pedestrians to get the picture that you won’t be able to hear whatever they’re saying😄😄

21 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

Since my wife won’t ride wondering  if a blow up doll might work?

Or you could go for one of these:

bdw3mf.png

I'd find it hard to fathom for anyone to be hostile towards a unicorn-rider...And in the event anyone complains while you're wearing that, quickly change into the disguise below and tell them you're dressed up as a mirror :efee612b4b:

2642888.png

On 12/17/2018 at 6:11 PM, Elder Meat said:

designed to transport only one person, and has an electric propulsion system averaging less than 1,000 watts,

You failed to read it with you lawyer hat on.  What exactly is "averaging less than 1,000 watts"?  When I ride along at 12mph on flat terrain my motor is using far less than 1,000W.  Lets say its using 200W.  Now, if I do that for one minute, then climb a hill for one minute using 1,200W what is my average? 700W ! is the answer. (200 + 1200)/2.  So is this in line with the law? and more importantly, who's counting?

On 12/18/2018 at 5:23 PM, Darrell Wesh said:

I think 25mph minimum for pedestrians to get the picture that you won’t be able to hear whatever they’re saying😄😄

:roflmao:  Actually headphone are great for this, because you REALLY CAN'T hear what they are saying.  Once, I left my iPod at home by mistake.  I still wore my headphones.  It allowed me to ignor any stupid comment "hey mister, you've lost one of your wheels" you know, that sort of stuff.  But if a cute little thang says, I'd love to have a go, I could still hear it.  I live in hope.:(

Smoother, the important part is that for purposes of California law, something like the V10F has the best of both worlds. If there is a sign stating "electrically motorized boards" are allowed, you can point to that and say you have a legal right to be there. (Technically you don't but I doubt anyone will check your EUC make/model specs for compliance.) 

If there is a sign stating "electrically motorized boards prohibited", you can state that doesn't apply to your EUC because it can go faster than 20mph so it isn't an electrically motorized board and say you have a legal right to be there.

Either way you win.

Archived