First negative reaction on the EUC

Steef Klonoa

So I went out for a rip the other day with my friend who just got a Z10 like me. We went down to this bike path that is near where we live. It goes through a few different suburbs and there are some cool off road trails that branch off it.

Apparently motorized vehicles aren't allowed on this path. We were fully kitted up with face helmets, knee pads etc. and we were cruising pretty fast probably 15-20mph. It's a gravel path and there aren't usually many people on it. We've been on it before and had no trouble, but about 15 minutes down the path we had some guy yell at us "no motorized vehicles!"

3 minutes later down the path there's this chubby little boy that pops out and stands in the middle of the path filming us with his phone.

As we get closer to this kid we realize it is not a chubby little boy, it's a 65 year old woman, she stops filming and goes "I'm sending this to the police". We just whipped by her and got off the path as fast as possible. I couldn't believe it! Just like that without even warning us she just wanted to send the video straight to the police. There was no one on the path, we were going fast but were being careful. Next time someone starts filming like that I'm going to slow down and just avoid at all costs. Definitely not going back on that path.

If you were riding at 10 mph or less and without all that protective gear you might have got away with it, but I can imagine for walkers the sight of you pair would be quite scary on such a path. Why should walkers be scared off just because you want to ride on the path? You have only yourselves to blame. Pedestrians should always have right of way and should never be made to feel unsafe by others on motorised transport. I'm not having a go at you ... just pointing out some things you failed to consider. We don't want EUC riders to be regarded as a nuisance and have these vehicles banned (technically they aren't legal to ride, but get ignored).

I've had that happen a few times. Both times I was wearing my motorcycle helmet (not the dinky wanna-be bicycle helmets you guys wear).

Both times I simply stopped, and showed them the park regulations allowing Segway-like devices on mixed paths so long as they stayed below 22 mph.

Again, you need to stop in front of the person and have them read aloud the regulations allowing you to be there.

The helmet usage is a none issue; if women are allowed to wear yoga pants showing their camel toes then you can damn well wear a full face helmet on a mixed usage path.

19 minutes ago, LanghamP said:

I've had that happen a few times. Both times I was wearing my motorcycle helmet (not the dinky wanna-be bicycle helmets you guys wear).

Both times I simply stopped, and showed them the park regulations allowing Segway-like devices on mixed paths so long as they stayed below 22 mph.

Again, you need to stop in front of the person and have them read aloud the regulations allowing you to be there.

The helmet usage is a none issue; if women are allowed to wear yoga pants showing their camel toes then you can damn well wear a full face helmet on a mixed usage path.

A woman wearing yoga pants doesn't sound intimidating to me ... full-face helmets imply danger and speed ... cycling helmets not so much.

4 minutes ago, Nic said:

A woman wearing yoga pants doesn't sound intimidating to me ... full-face helmets imply danger and speed ... cycling helmets not so much.

If you're going faster than 12 mph then the full face helmet helps with the inevitable face plant. Several recent accidents show how ineffective open face helmets are.

EUCs are much more dangerous to their users than bicycles for any given speed. However, I would guess that collisions between people are more dangerous for bicycle than EUC due to the bicycle to higher stance and poor manuverability.

If a pedestrian is pissed at you, you need to stop and show them the regulation. While technically EUC are motorized vehicles, they aren't treated as such by the law, and you need to show people that regulation.

Interestingly I go far faster on my eBike, yet no pedestrian complains, yet going half speed on my EUCs I get many "it's dangerous" comments.

12 minutes ago, LanghamP said:

If a pedestrian is pissed at you, you need to stop and show them the regulation. While technically EUC are motorized vehicles, they aren't treated as such by the law, and you need to show people that regulation.

What regulations might you be referring to? Can you post them here?

They were riding at 15-20 mph and that is enough to give an elderly person, or parent with young kids, cause for concern on a path where they have nowhere to go. The protection gear makes it even more intimidating because you need to protect yourself from falls, yet pedestrians can't protect themselves from you. The point here is that there are vulnerable people that can feel intimated and there are actions that EUC riders can take to reduce this concern (e.g. slow down to jogging pace when approaching pedestrians, and even slower when passing pedestrians). When you are on the road you can go faster because you are now the vulnerable person and expect cars to exercise care around you. I am not suggesting to not wear full-face helmets, but simply suggesting that if going fast on narrow paths and wearing protective gear it becomes even more intimidating to vulnerable users because it suggests you are riding aggressively and have a need for this level of protection.

11 minutes ago, RockyTop said:

I am pretty sure it is illegal to have fun in Massachusetts..............  The police and lawyers seem to play a role in most favored pastimes. 

Here is the laws on EPAMDs in Massachusetts 

https://malegislature.gov/Bills/186/H3278/House/Bill/Text

Interesting as that only appears to cover Segways...

“Electric Personal Assistive Mobility Device” or “EPAMD” means a self-balancing, two non-tandem wheeled device, designed to transport only one person, with an electric propulsion system whose maximum speed on a paved level surface is 12.5 miles per hour or less.”

I do think the full face helmets play a big part in this incident.  Who else wears these helmets?  Motorcycle and scooter riders.  So, at a quick, uneducated look. you look just like a motorcycle rider.  OK.  your "bike" is a tiny thing down by your ankles, but the overall look is motorcyclist.  Don't give the great unwashed the mental credit to work out the difference.  Many of them do not know what an EUC is. 

Kudos for protecting yourself, but I think you fell into the "he's riding some kind of new-fangled motorcycle" trap.

It's the same reason my full face M/C helmet is in storage 50 miles away from me; I don't want to scare pedestrians.

The speed didn't help either.  On open stretches, cool, but around pedestrians slow the f..k down if you don't want people reporting you to the 5-O.

EDIT. Something you might want to consider is that it is possible that users of that path, and homeowners whose property bounds it, MAY have had run ins with people riding actual motorcycles and scooters down that path.  They may already be pissed of at that crowd, and by dressing like them, you have been tarred by the same brush.  Just something to consider.  Urban dwellers are constantly being bombarded by the antisocial types and law breakers among us.  It doesn't take much to push some of them over the edge.

Lastly I do thinks your getting some of the "Massachusetts effect".  A very kill-joy population in my experience. OP excepted, of course :D Anyone who rides an EUC must automatically be a fun loving guy/gal.

The EPAMD laws were (Original) Segway's attempt to petition for nationwide state regulations to make the Segway legal.  It has no effect on EUC's. As @Nic quoted above "two non-tandem wheeled device" = Segway.  Not even elecric scooters qualify because they are not non-tandem i.e tandem).  Segway wrote the text of this law specifically to favor the Segway and exclude electric scooters.  EUC's hadn't been invented yet.

There are killjoys every where. The key is to know your local laws. EUCs are not motorized vehicles (even though they have motors). Most people can't understand the distinction even when you explain it to them. Realistically, unless you see police patrolling trails (I've never seen an official on a trail) you're never going to get "caught" even with people filming you. The couple of times that I've had interactions with authorities, it's always been on roads.

So I wouldn't worry about trail riding.

Fortunately in California, where I ride, we have a 2016 law which I can refer people to (which I've done to police also). We are legal anywhere a bicycle is legal unless explicitly forbidden.

3 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

EUCs are not motorized vehicles (even though they have motors)

They are in the UK ... and I suspect everywhere else too, unless exceptions are made in the legislation to allow them.

1 minute ago, Nic said:

They are in the UK ... and I suspect everywhere else too, unless exceptions are made in the legislation to allow them.

That sucks. In the United States there are legal definitions (created long before EUCs) which define what a motorized vehicle is. An EUC doesn't meet the definition, just as an electric skateboard doesn't. It basically comes down to common sense - motorized vehicles are cars, trucks, and motorcycles.

I feel fortunate to live where I do when I discovered EUCs. I really do.

10 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

That sucks. In the United States there are legal definitions (created long before EUCs) which define what a motorized vehicle is. An EUC doesn't meet the definition, just as an electric skateboard doesn't. It basically comes down to common sense - motorized vehicles are cars, trucks, and motorcycles.

I feel fortunate to live where I do when I discovered EUCs. I really do.

California passed a Bill in 2015 to legalise personal electric vehicles, as before this they were illegal...

https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billTextClient.xhtml?bill_id=201520160AB604

Hey Marty - you got schooled - guess it matters in the grand scheme of schemes compared to what folks in your neck of the woods with all the wildfires created by some folks drinking too much DEW ..apparently it's 'going to become the new normal' these 'wildfires'. Please  stay safe, keep your eyes and eyes open and don't forget your life is worth far more than your materials. My thoughts are with the people of Paradise..Peace out 

4 minutes ago, Bobjai69 said:

Hey Marty - you got schooled - guess it matters in the grand scheme of schemes compared to what folks in your neck of the woods with all the wildfires created by some folks drinking too much DEW ..apparently it's 'going to become the new normal' these 'wildfires'. Please  stay safe, keep your eyes and eyes open and don't forget your life is worth far more than your materials. My thoughts are with the people of Paradise..Peace out 

I'll have what he's having. :confused1:

2 minutes ago, Smoother said:

I'll have what he's having. :confused1:

Aww, so sorry you got left out of it mate - if you want whatever I think I'm having, you can have for it free if you that curious - afterall I'm only 'round the corner from you' as they say..

18 minutes ago, Smoother said:

I'll be right over, if this bloody rain will stop. :D

Not a chance - still drizzling round here - but enough to pop round into the communal garden and spark one up with a herbal cuppa on the smaller spare 14 wheel cheapo trainer I got a few months ago..In all seriousness - check out a You Tube Channel called aplanetruth.info and you should get filled in pretty quick about the California Wildfires and you won't have to come share my stash to get THAT high..but you're welcome none-the-less..

4 hours ago, LanghamP said:

:dribble::dribble::dribble::dribble:

4 hours ago, RockyTop said:

I am pretty sure it is illegal to have fun in Massachusetts..............  The police and lawyers seem to play a role in most favored pastimes. 

Here is the laws on EPAMDs in Massachusetts 

https://malegislature.gov/Bills/186/H3278/House/Bill/Text

That link appear to be a proposed bill and not law yet, if ever.  Since I'm a Mass resident I'll have to look into this further. It would be good to know where we stand now.  And yes, it is hard to have fun legally in Massachusetts.

7 hours ago, Steef Klonoa said:

So I went out for a rip the other day with my friend who just got a Z10 like me. We went down to this bike path that is near where we live. It goes through a few different suburbs and there are some cool off road trails that branch off it.

Apparently motorized vehicles aren't allowed on this path. We were fully kitted up with face helmets, knee pads etc. and we were cruising pretty fast probably 15-20mph. It's a gravel path and there aren't usually many people on it. We've been on it before and had no trouble, but about 15 minutes down the path we had some guy yell at us "no motorized vehicles!"

3 minutes later down the path there's this chubby little boy that pops out and stands in the middle of the path filming us with his phone.

As we get closer to this kid we realize it is not a chubby little boy, it's a 65 year old woman, she stops filming and goes "I'm sending this to the police". We just whipped by her and got off the path as fast as possible. I couldn't believe it! Just like that without even warning us she just wanted to send the video straight to the police. There was no one on the path, we were going fast but were being careful. Next time someone starts filming like that I'm going to slow down and just avoid at all costs. Definitely not going back on that path.

Klonoa 

Just wondering if you would mind sharing where this occurred.  Would like to know where I should avoid.

Archived