Modified Fox Titan Elbow Protectors

With @Marty Backe’s recent accident involving his shoulder and @Hunka Hunka Burning Love ‘s concern about re- injuring himself I felt it necessary myself not to take any further chances and decided to refine my Fox Titan Elbow Protectors.  

I had originally modified the elbow protectors months ago after my accident with 1” thick shock absorption foam.

Original Modification

46241202082_3b99a7f915_b.jpg

Upon further discussion about my design with forum members there was concern that the foam’s  surface would not allow enough slide in the event of another faceplant. I took this advice seriously. 

My enhanced design features a custom molded  semi- rigid silicone outer shell that encapsulates the original thick molded foam. I also fabricated a carbon composite wear/skid bar.

Enhance Design Containing a Molded Semi -Rigid Silicone Outer Shell (pre-trim stage)

46303193511_413d344b25_b.jpg

Post Trim Stage with Carbon Fiber Wear/Skid Bar

46303194261_2e42be370e_b.jpg

Wear/Skid Bar Riveted To Semi- Rigid Silicone Cover

46303193731_24aa7f9ed6_b.jpg

Evaluation of Fit Prior to Final Assembly

46303192281_376a91c236_b.jpg

Cover and Wear Skid Bar Riveted to Fox Titans

32431748578_dc764fa0c3_b.jpg

46303193471_5e32924aa4_b.jpg

If called upon I now have faith that these modified elbow pads will disperse a significant percentage of forces that may impact my elbow and subsequent humeral region. They will also allow me to slide adequately.

I understand that this modification is not easily duplicated but I have seen members come up with their own excellent mods based on other member’s input and designs. 

The shoulder and rotator cuff is an extremely vulnerable joint complex and is susceptible to incapacitating injuries. Any significant impact to the elbow can result in debilitating consequences to the shoulder’s intricate  anatomy. 

If forum member’s have any additional ideas to protect the elbow and shoulder joints please feel free to share them. Thanks

Fantastic. All we can do is stare and drool :dribble:

Let's hope you never get to test them :)

P.s. You sure those rivets won't potentially dig-and-grab instead of sliding :unsure: 

Most impressive workmanship and skills, once again. I know this kind of stuff is your job, but that doesn't diminish it in the slightest:clap3:

About the sliding, my guess is: the further it sticks out, the more it will impede the sliding. Small contact area = high friction. Hard shell surface or soft foam, probably doesn't matter so much. So I wonder if your mod helps because it cushions or harms because it rams the elbow into the shoulder.

If I were going to build something to allow for sliding, the idea would be to have that thick piece of soft foam, but have it shear off with barely any resistance. Sacrificial foam. So it would be glued on very lightly, think double-sided sticky tape level of strength (or rather weakness). You crash, the foam hits and cushions, but stays in place on the asphalt and the "real" guard slides off it seamlessly, and then slides along the ground relatively unimpeded (because it's flat).

I wish there was a way for you to crash (to test your approach) without crashing... hmm;)

By the way, if you have the time and will, why don't you video your fabricating processes. I'm sure lot of people would be interested in the more advanced materials you use.

1 hour ago, Rehab1 said:

With @Marty Backe’s recent accident involving his shoulder and @Hunka Hunka Burning Love ‘s concern about re- injuring himself I felt it necessary myself not to take any further chances and decided to refine my Fox Titan Elbow Protectors.  

I had originally modified the elbow protectors months ago after my accident with 1” thick shock absorption foam.

Original Modification

46241202082_3b99a7f915_b.jpg

Upon further discussion about my design with forum members there was concern that the foam’s  surface would not allow enough slide in the event of another faceplant. I took this advice seriously. 

My enhanced design features a custom molded  semi- rigid silicone outer shell that encapsulates the original thick molded foam. I also fabricated a carbon composite wear/skid bar.

Enhance Design Containing a Molded Semi -Rigid Silicone Outer Shell (pre-trim stage)

46303193511_413d344b25_b.jpg

Post Trim Stage with Carbon Fiber Wear/Skid Bar

46303194261_2e42be370e_b.jpg

Wear/Skid Bar Riveted To Semi- Rigid Silicone Cover

46303193731_24aa7f9ed6_b.jpg

Evaluation of Fit Prior to Final Assembly

46303192281_376a91c236_b.jpg

Cover and Wear Skid Bar Riveted to Fox Titans

32431748578_dc764fa0c3_b.jpg

46303193471_5e32924aa4_b.jpg

If called upon I now have faith that these modified elbow pads will disperse a significant percentage of forces that may impact my elbow and subsequent humeral region. They will also allow me to slide adequately.

I understand that this modification is not easily duplicated but I have seen members come up with their own excellent mods based on other member’s input and designs. 

The shoulder and rotator cuff is an extremely vulnerable joint complex and is susceptible to incapacitating injuries. Any significant impact to the elbow can result in debilitating consequences to the shoulder’s intricate  anatomy. 

If forum member’s have any additional ideas to protect the elbow and shoulder joints please feel free to share them. Thanks

Dude. This is brilliant.

I am a motorcycle rider also, so bear with me here. Okay,  here it is. I have vivid dreams of a textile or leather glove with form fitted palm sliders. Traditional motorcycle gloves have the sliders on the topside of the glove. EUC gloves would integrate them on the bottom - side of hand. I think that they should be located on the heel and balls of the palm, along the bottom of the thumb,  and on the finger tip bottoms.

A bonus feature would be one that enabled the fingertips of the gloves to be flipped back to allow use of a mobile device or for grasping objects like a Grande soy 8shot latte from Compass Coffee,  Kaldi's Coffee, or - I dare say, Starbucks :efee8319ab:👍

3 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Fantastic. All we can do is stare and drool :dribble:

Let's hope you never get to test them :)

P.s. You sure those rivets won't potentially dig-and-grab instead of sliding :unsure: 

Thanks!!

P.s....the rivets are comprised of top secret :ph34r: frictionless nano roller bearings providing unprecedented low (virtually null) static friction preventing the flattened stainless steel rivet heads from touching any substrate by means of repulsive dispersion forces.

Because there is no contact there is no static friction and the nano bearing surface can rotate or translate in response to any driving forces. :confused1:

3 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Most impressive workmanship and skills, once again. I know this kind of stuff is your job, but that doesn't diminish it in the slightest:clap3:

Thanks buddy!

About the sliding, my guess is: the further it sticks out, the more it will impede the sliding. Small contact area = high friction. Hard shell surface or soft foam, probably doesn't matter so much. So I wonder if your mod helps because it cushions or harms because it rams the elbow into the shoulder.

I chose the semi rigid silicone material as a cover not just for the durability but also to maintain the shock absorbing characteristics of the 1” foam. I currently have no method to test my design but firmly believe my humeral head would not have shattered into multiple segments if I was wearing this gear.

If I were going to build something to allow for sliding, the idea would be to have that thick piece of soft foam, but have it shear off with barely any resistance. Sacrificial foam. So it would be glued on very lightly, think double-sided sticky tape level of strength (or rather weakness). You crash, the foam hits and cushions, but stays in place on the asphalt and the "real" guard slides off it seamlessly, and then slides along the ground relatively unimpeded (because it's flat).

That’s what this thread was intended to do...nourish creativity.  Your idea definately has merit!

I wish there was a way for you to crash (to test your approach) without crashing... hmm;)

By the way, if you have the time and will, why don't you video your fabricating processes. I'm sure lot of people would be interested in the more advanced materials you use.

I agree a crash test would be terrific but I have already auditioned for the sacrificial dummy. :unsure:

If you recall I use to record all of my mods but my work is so hectic these days I fabricate at a frantic pace between seeing patients. Too many 4 letters words. :innocent1:

3 hours ago, Lutalo said:

Dude. This is brilliant.

Thanks! If there was only a way to test the design.

3 hours ago, Lutalo said:

I am a motorcycle rider also, so bear with me here. Okay,  here it is. I have vivid dreams of a textile or leather glove with form fitted palm sliders. Traditional motorcycle gloves have the sliders on the topside of the glove. EUC gloves would integrate them on the bottom - side of hand. I think that they should be located on the heel and balls of the palm, along the bottom of the thumb,  and on the finger tip bottoms.

A bonus feature would be one that enabled the fingertips of the gloves to be flipped back to allow use of a mobile device or for grasping objects like a Grande soy 8shot latte from Compass Coffee,  Kaldi's Coffee, or - I dare say, Starbucks :efee8319ab:👍

Awesome multiple ideas! It would be nice if a high tech protective gear manufacturer were to follow the forum and assist in designing protective equipment prototypes for members to test.

I build braces for children so unfortunately my knowledge of state-of-the-art materials used in fabricating safey gear is somewhat limited. We do fabricate custom nose guards and kidney protectors and they seem to work. :)

Archived