DIY WHEELSTAND CHECK IT OUT

Lutalo

Fun project. I needed a way to store the wheels in the house that was superior to leaning them against walls. 

I bought all materials from my local Home Depot. 

1. A 1"x8" wood plank. Cut into 8" sections. 

2. A 2"x6" wood plank cut into 4" sections

3. Corner braces from the DIY shelving section of store. 

4. Furniture pad strips

5. Box of size 10x2.5" woodscrews (Not sure what the 10 indicates; could be diameter or circumference in mm. I do know that size 10 is fatter than 6 or 8, but thinner than 12).

I'm feeling a bit under the weather so, I can give instruction if someone actually wants to build one for themselves. 

It is easiest to use a drill to make the screw holes in the wood, but a hammer and nail can also be used. Simply, drive the nail into desired spot and use claw hammer to pull it out. Then wind screws into pre-formed holes. 

I also used a ruler with a level to make sure my lines were level and evenly spaced, a pencil to mark measurements,  and a marker to indicate where I should drill a hole for the screws. 

The corner braces which you can see from the top view reinforce the structure's stability. 

I need to build four of them. My next project for my stands is to add wheel casters to the bottom. They were pricey at Home Depot and seemed to big. I will search on Amazon for wheel casters that are smaller.

DIY wheelstand bottom view.jpg

DIY wheelstand top view.jpg

DIY wheelstand side view.jpg

KS18 on DIY Wheelstand.jpg

IMG_20181213_075851.jpg

IMG_20181213_075739.jpg

2 hours ago, Professur said:

Might be worth your time to fit it into tray of some sort to catch water dripping when you've been riding wet.

Thanks. Very nice idea. I will explore it further. Perhaps, I will search for dedicated tray that will easily fit beneath it to catch water should I need that function. 

I am thinking about installing casters as well, so,  that I can roll the stands around easily. The ones that I saw at Home Depot required drilling a too big a hole in the bottom of the wood. 

On 12/13/2018 at 1:32 PM, Yunicyle said:

NIce!  I would prefer to have the tire barely touching the bottom of the stand, so you don't have to lift the wheel off the stand to check battery levels and it going into spin-out mode.  Just a suggestion.

I prefer the wheel off the ground,  because I have a paranoia about getting flat spots if the wheel sits too long. Happened to one of my bikes years ago. Since that time I always elevate my stuff with wheels when I store it.

A solution to wheel spinning on the stand is to upgrade to a rapid charger with a readout that allows you to read the voltage going to your wheel and % to which it has reached your desired charge level: 100, 90, or 80%. Sold by eWheels; $150 

6 minutes ago, Victor Jose Ladero Covelo said:

Nice. However,  you might consider winding some woodscrews into those nail holes; more secure over time. My first DIY stand broke easily because it was constructed with staples and nails. 

I think the Black paint looks great. What did you use?

2 hours ago, Lutalo said:

Nice. However,  you might consider winding some woodscrews into those nail holes; more secure over time. My first DIY stand broke easily because it was constructed with staples and nails. 

I think the Black paint looks great. What did you use?

2 weeks and no problems

The paint is just normal paint I find in house

1 minute ago, Victor Jose Ladero Covelo said:

2 weeks and no problems

The paint is just normal paint I find in house

You know what they say: If it ain't broke don't fix it. 

That's a very nice stand that you have built. Cool paint job. 

I made the exact same thing with three pieces of scrap wood (two 2x4s and one 2x6) and four long wood screws. This is so much better than those 3-D printed things or wire rigs that seem pretty fragile to me. Plus, since this is wood, you can customize them to the exact dimensions of your wheel.

EUC stand.jpg

24 minutes ago, rwent1 said:

I made the exact same thing with three pieces of scrap wood (two 2x4s and one 2x6) and four long wood screws. This is so much better than those 3-D printed things or wire rigs that seem pretty fragile to me. Plus, since this is wood, you can customize them to the exact dimensions of your wheel.

EUC stand.jpg

And there I was thinking that I had built something unique. :laughbounce2:

I like your build. Looks sturdy. What size woodscrews did you use for yours? I used 10x2.5" woodscrews that I picked up from Home Depot. 

Ha! Yep, I thought I was a real genius too, until I saw this forum! I used 3" screws only because I wanted to get into the 2x4s a healthy 1.5" and because I already had a surplus of these already, from doing fence repairs. I could get fancy and bevel the edges and paint them but I also tell my wife that there's something to be said for "raw, elegant simplicity."

30 minutes ago, rwent1 said:

raw, elegant simplicity."

In a nutshell. I have said it before that true beauty lies in the excellent execution of simplicity. I can tell that you went from the base up into your uprights. 3" screws will give it a strong fastening. 

4 hours ago, rwent1 said:

Ha! Yep, I thought I was a real genius too, until I saw this forum! I used 3" screws only because I wanted to get into the 2x4s a healthy 1.5" and because I already had a surplus of these already, from doing fence repairs. I could get fancy and bevel the edges and paint them but I also tell my wife that there's something to be said for "raw, elegant simplicity."

This is how I tell my wife she should refer to me.  :rolleyes:

9 hours ago, Roadrunner said:

Last week i started the same project, ended up buying a wooden box, added a few wood blocks, done and dusted.

Total cost 5€. :ph34r:

9E7D019B-B532-41E4-A2EC-A9005B8226BE.thumb.jpeg.841307a5e33cbb720ffae325d1c46157.jpeg3CA99AF5-3B9A-4D90-9746-759437D7AFCA.thumb.jpeg.f3c5354d29503cfa4d9a9e4bdd8ae4f0.jpeg74B5DBEF-5AA7-4B6D-B124-788FE35CA235.thumb.jpeg.b0140a0ee1fbd4da2aa36f72a50cd330.jpeg

Very cool. Add a handle it can double as a picnic basket. :D:laughbounce2:

22 hours ago, Professur said:

Might be worth your time to fit it into tray of some sort to catch water dripping when you've been riding wet.

There are many options. Two of my favorites are the cork mat for its high absorbency and natural anti-bacterial properties. I also like the absorbent mats because they absorb tons of water.

I have used these on previous occasions to clean up oil; amazing. These absorb any liquid. On inclement days, either line the cork mat, or place them directly on the floor underneath the wheelstand.

IMG_20181214_075423.jpg

IMG_20181214_073755.jpg

9 hours ago, radial said:

True!  I had to tell her the XL would be safer than my other wheels.  I'm so going to hell.  :roflmao:

:D Straight to the fiery pit in a handbasket. :furious: but in the meantime, enjoy that XL. :roflmao:

Made three more stands. I now have four new stands total; one for each of my wheels - including the XL that is enroute. 

I also wanted to include photos of the results of my first attempt at making a DIY wheelstand.

That one was constructed using only nails and staples. It was a repurposed craft box from Micheal's Craft Store.

The bottom and sides contained the slatted wood design seen in the photos. To make this one was easy. I basically Tore the slatted boards from sides and nailed the 2x4 blocks to the remaining side of the box. I made two of these; one has since been destroyed. Hey! what can I say. My kids play rough. That is the reason I decided to improve the construction and design. I feel that I succeeded. The new design is a simpler design featuring an all solid wood construction fastened with woodscrews rather than nails. I expect the new stands to be very durable and to last many years.

I am selling the old one for $.50. 😂 Sike! It would cost more than that to ship it. However,  it works very well, and I don't foresee using it much. Since, I hate to just toss it If anyone wants it I will ship it if you live in the USA. Even easier. If you live in the DMV.

IMG_20181215_115029.jpg

IMG_20181215_115000.jpg

IMG_20181215_120119.jpg

IMG_20181215_115950.jpg

IMG_20181215_120036.jpg

Archived