Checking Your Six

tscottn

I was recently thinking about what are some of the most popular ways to be informed about whats going on behind you when riding.  I feel like im pretty blind when it comes to my 6 oclock.  I will usually have to turn my head all  the way around to really get a good view, and I think that that can be dangerous as well.   So I been watching a lot of videos lately of EUC rides and one thing  that many people have in common when it comes to this issue is that they tend to use the standard mirror on a stick attached to the helmet method.  While that may work fine for most I would like a less obtrusive way to see behind me and also feed the techie need in me as well. .  So I started googling and came up with this..  https://trieye.com/  Seems that these glasses have a built in rear view mirror made just for this purpose.   I did a search for them on this site but came up with nothing, but that does not mean it hasent been discussed here before.    Most of the reviews I watched on YouTube have been very positive.  I really cant see any drawbacks to something like this.  

Looks like for 120 clams you get a pretty decent assortment of lenses and accessories too.  Thats even less money than I paid for my Oakleys ( with no rear view mirror)..  So I would love to hear some feedback before I pull the trigger on these.  

Thanks

i got a pair just like that at the dollar store years ago lol.. like some kids spy glasses or something they called them but they actually worked good, can probably pick up a pair on ebay for a couple bucks to see if you like them before blowing 120 bucks on a pair of glasses.. for me i just turn my body i can see behind me perfectly well

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Spy-Glasses-Rear-View-Mirror-Mirrored-Fun-Kids-Toy-Gift-Sun-Eye-Side-See-Behind/323351452633?epid=14018970561

edit: i just noticed those ones you posted also only have the mirror on one side.. wont that only be effective 50% of the time? like choose mirror on the left side but then how do you see whats behind you on the right, unless theres an option to have one on each eye that i dont see

Either of those options are going to be restricted if you upgrade to a stronger helmet. The wrist mounted mirror does seem to me to be the clear winner for field of vision, although it does mean more distraction from the road in front of you and it's active, not passive.

I was thinking a little more high tech. You could use a pair of google glasses and a small rear mounted camera....... Or maybe a VR headset with front and rear mounted cameras.........

I wonder? .... If you crashed in the VR world would it feel realistic? ....... And , How many pairs of VR headsets do you have to take off before you find yourself immersed in a bath tub of goo and wires? .......... 

I tried the helmet mirror and hated it.

I tried the glasses mirror and hated it.

I tried the wrist mirror and liked it ... until my dog chewed it up. 

I learned to to check the ground in front of me before turning and looking behind me. Loved it! ... But I am still going to get a new wrist mirror.

48 minutes ago, Circuitmage said:

Or just practice your look backs. :) 

I usually only need to look behind me for a split second to see if cars are coming, as I don't ride in reverse. :o

That's the problem. Riding along and see a pothole ahead. Choice are try to eat it, swerve to avoid it, or recognize a no win situation and prepare to bail. If a tenth of a second of that interval has to be taken up turning away from the oncoming obstacle, you won't do it. Target fixation is a tough horse to beat. A passive mirror lets you see and already know if your six is clear to swerve. You're right that situational awareness and regular checking your blind spot is important ... but we all know a ride with your head all over the place isn't going to be fun.

Important to remember the line "Look where you want to go".

2 minutes ago, RockyTop said:

I was thinking a little more high tech. You could use a pair of google glasses and a small rear mounted camera.......

Heh, that's the sort of thing that I was thinking too. Maybe a heads up display. They're fairly cheap today. Just getting it linked to the camera might take some tech skills.

I bought these (TriEye), and have tested them on with the helmet I wear when riding EUC, and I can look backward :)

I haven't tested extensively yet, as there are winter here in Norway at the moment.

6 hours ago, Rino said:

I bought these (TriEye), and have tested them on with the helmet I wear when riding EUC, and I can look backward :)

I haven't tested extensively yet, as there are winter here in Norway at the moment.

this is exactly the kind of comment i wanted to hear  thank you.. im looking forward to a more in depth review.. nothing crazy but basically do  you think they are worth it?  

• 2 weeks later...

Garmin has come up with an option for cyclists. However to see the notifications requires a handlebar mounted display or a display for a google-glasses style addition to regular glasses.  Would be good if they had a simple warning light that could be helmet mounted.  They could market this to cyclists, riders of EUC, Scooters, etc.  

https://www.forbes.com/sites/larryolmsted/2018/07/05/the-revolutionary-bike-safety-breakthrough-every-cyclist-needs-including-you/#3e2076c4bb4a

Hi I've been using a vufine video display in the helmet with a gopro on the back with an hdmi out and it works very well battery lasts about 90 minute but I have both plugged into a usb  power bank in my backpack and that will last for days 

15 hours ago, Ju Reader said:

Hi I've been using a vufine video display in the helmet with a gopro on the back with an hdmi out and it works very well battery lasts about 90 minute but I have both plugged into a usb  power bank in my backpack and that will last for days 

Looks great!   

17 hours ago, Ju Reader said:

Pic(s) or video of your setup would be interesting.

Archived