MCM5 - A green pea's 2nd wheel review

Flying W

Hey,

I'm enjoying reading your MCM5 discovery story :D

I like your MOPAR muscle car description - that's apt for Gotway's.

If you want a pretty wheel, buy an Inmotion :laughbounce2:

I suspect that you'll dump the side pads eventually. As you say, the wheel loses some of its character and I think some of its nimbleness.

Sounds like you have no regrets so far :thumbup:

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Flying W said:

Went on a proper ride yesterday. My dad rode the 16s and it was his first time actually going anywhere on an EUC. He only rode on soccer fields and basketball courts prior (about 6 times). He did very well, only taking a small walk off in a patch of sandy gravel.

The mcm5 did a very good job. This ride is mostly a bike trail along a creek up to a huge park with multiple baseball fields and soccer fields.  The place is a giant playground when its empty. Double wide sidewalks that snake around the whole place seem like a personal race track. 

In the back you'll find a steep (granny gear on a mnt bike) dirt path that goes up to a viewpoint above the complex. My 16s goes up just fine but it takes a lot of pressure on the pedals.  This hill is only about a football field long, maybe a little longer, and the recent rain added some nice ruts to navigate around. 

The mcm5 just laughed at this hill. I knew from watching @Marty Backe fly up overheat hill that the mcm5 climbs very well but until you do it you dont realize how effortless it is.  It was very easy to put the wheel right in between 2 ruts no more than 5 inches apart. The breaking is just as impressive. 

The next test was a set of support columns that make for a good tight slalom course. This wheel can change direction extreamly quick and very accurately with no wiggling. It is surprisingly stable during direction changes only protesting in times of pilot error.  

The wobbles that I was getting around 15mph have moved up to 20 (top speed was 21.4 on wheelog). 

The ride home was in the dark which wasnt part of the plan so we didnt have any extra lighting. The light is brighter than the 16s but the bean is thinner. I wouldn't recomend either for more than just getting by in a pinch. The light I use daily for commuting let's me ride that same in the dark as I do in a sunlight. 

For anyone comparing the mcm5 to a 16s (or other similar watt hr 16in wheel) I can assure you the smaller diameter doesnt hamper this wheel. Starting at a full batter I had 43% left at rest when I got home. The ride was 13.6 miles. I'm sure blasting up that dirt hill 4 or 5 times went through a lot of battery. The 16s started at 92% and finished the ride at 48%. I'm sure my dad wasnt accelerating as hard and he is also about 20lbs lighter than me since I had the pack carrying all our stuff (tools, water, bandages etc). 

Between these 2 wheels I'd say if you can pay just a little more attention cruising at 18 to 20mph and dont mind giving up speakers, a better trolly handle, side lights and a minor step up in ride comfort over road imperfections then get the mcm5. The crazy acceleration and eagerness to turn at any speed is worth it! 

I cant comment on reliability. The new board and wiring used on the mcm5 and the MSX hasnt been out long enough to hit the high miles we've seen some members put on the 16s. Based on the stress testing we've seen like euc guy pushing a car until failure and Marty being almost speachless after flying up hills most of dont even have in our area I dont thing reliability is going to be an issue. 

Very impressed with this wheel!

Nice :thumbup:

As an aside, I always carry one of these when I'm riding (and actually when not riding too). I've used it many times when my ride goes a bit longer than I anticipated.

Thrunite 120 lumen light

51308ICC1XL._SL1001_.jpg

• Like 1

Good call on a small flash light for accidental night riding, especially this time of year  

I took the 16s to work yesterday after a week on the mcm5.  It took a mile or so to re adjust to the 16s, very very different. The main thing that stood out was the difference in stability.  20 to 21.5 mph is easy vs having to pay more attention on the mcm5. Over 20mph on the mcm5 still gets me wobbles if I hit a bump wrong. 

Acceleration is no comparison at all, the mcm5 feels like a rocket. It also corners like it's on rails. I also really like the tire on the mcm5. I would like to find it in a 16 and put one on the 16s. 

I'm still torn between no side pads vs with side pads. With them on I can adjust my feet easier and move around on one leg way better, with them off it turns on a dime at walking speed and it's just a cool feeling to have contact on your feet only. Stability at speed is better with them on but I know that's down to skill more than the pads. 

From here on out I'm going to alternate wheels for my commute. I love my 16s and dont want to forget how to ride it haha. Prior to getting the new wheel the 16s felt like an extension of my body, now both feel like something in riding if that makes sense. I can only imagine (and dream) of what it must be like having a collection like @Marty Backe 🙄😁

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Flying W said:

@Marty Backe, you are always instrumented most of the time with wheelog and your pebble watch, is it normal for wheel log to show 70 to 80 amps on the log chart under fairly hard acceleration?  My 16s almost never goes above 35 amps. 

I don't monitor my logs, but through experimentation I determined that a WheelLog Current Alarm set at 90-amps was a good level to represent very heavy current draw.

So when I'm riding and I hit a hard bump, the watch will buzz. A hard acceleration can cause a short buzz. If I do a reversal, quite often the watch will buzz. If I climb very steep hills the watch can start buzzing continuously (at which point, after a handful of seconds, I'll get off the wheel). This is for all my Gotway wheels.

70-amps during hard accelerations wouldn't surprise me.

• Like 1

I still need to get a pebble. To get a feel for the wheel I'll start wheelLog and accelerate hard then stop and look at the chart (so I know I'm seeing what just happened), I also did the same with a reserved man hole cover and a gutter crossing. Not surprising the man hole cover spikes the highest. I have not checked out what it does durring a reversal. 

In other news, I just put the 18xl pedals on my 16s :clap3:

• Like 1

On 12/12/2018 at 5:42 PM, Flying W said:

In the back you'll find a steep (granny gear on a mnt bike) dirt path that goes up to a viewpoint above the complex. My 16s goes up just fine but it takes a lot of pressure on the pedals

If your feet aren't too big try moving them forward for climbing hills. Otherwise invest in some of these big pedals that are all the rage now.

5 hours ago, Smoother said:

If your feet aren't too big try moving them forward for climbing hills. Otherwise invest in some of these big pedals that are all the rage now.

Just got back from taking both on a mixed terrain ride. The large 18XL pedals were awesome on the 16s. 

Almost a 18 mile ride, mcm5 started at 95% and ended at 46% at rest. 16s started at 100% and ended at 50%. Almost the same battery use. Ave speed was 12mph. 

I have 85 miles on the mcm5 now and I'm starting to feel really good on it. It reverses great, handy when leaves get stuck in the tire,  and it climbs effortlessly. Only one hill was steep enough to be standing on my toes. If that hill wasnt only about 150ft I honestly dont think I would have rode it up out of fear of killing a new toy. 

The differences in ride between the 14 and 16 dont really show up below about 18mph. There were a couple of rut crossings the were deep enough to trip the mcm5 that the 16s went through barely (I think my dad just got lucky haha). 

The last place we played was at an elementary school that has a painted race track for the kids trikes. There was no contest between the two wheels here. It was made for the mcm5. Tight turns followed by short bursts of acceleration and fast breaking zones. I was a 2.5 seconds quicker a lap on the mcm5. The 16s rides great with the new pedals but they touch sooner than the mcm5 and it doesnt accelerate or break as well. 

I didnt go over 21mph but the new wheel wobbles were gone today! 

• Like 1

Oh, one more thing about those new pedals. The black looked really cool on the mat black 16s but that goes away with the first drop. My dad dropped it good a few times and the paint they used will flake off from the scratched leaving large silver spots. Black nail polish covered it up and should prevent more flaking. If you dont scrape em and you dont have someone learning to ride on your wheel then it'll be fine. 

Size wise they are great though, and having full grip tape feels way more secure, especially with wet dirty feet. 

50 minutes ago, Flying W said:

Oh, one more thing about those new pedals. The black looked really cool on the mat black 16s but that goes away with the first drop. My dad dropped it good a few times and the paint they used will flake off from the scratched leaving large silver spots. Black nail polish covered it up and should prevent more flaking. If you dont scrape em and you dont have someone learning to ride on your wheel then it'll be fine. 

Size wise they are great though, and having full grip tape feels way more secure, especially with wet dirty feet. 

I've painted a couple of the pedals on my wheels. Pedals are easy to remove for painting. I do like the black look.

25mi ride today. About 40% off road including some single track which was great fun. 

"Fuel" consumption was quite different between both wheels this time (last ride had them almost even) with the mcm5 finishing at 33% at rest and the 16s at 46%. My fast charger only gets the mcm5 to 96% on wheelog though, the 16s does read 100% when it's done charging. 

The only difference was the horse trail that I've rode a few times now, enough to know where I want to be line wise. My dad was taking it cautiously while I was flying. And some other spots durring the ride I did stop to wait. 

The mcm5 handles very well off road. It's so nimble you pick your way through the bad trail sections and it has so much torque that you can climb almost anything. It acts like a larger wheel than it is.  

I think I can honestly say if your looking to buy a 16s and you can go without speakers and a break light,  you should strongly consider an mcm5. The steering accuracy is amazing and the way it climbs a hill is so effortless. 

For my commute I still prefer the 16s due to the night time visibility with the side lights and taillight. I also have the XLs pedals on it so it's super comfy but for weekend play riding the 16s feels docile, doesn't turn by mere thought alone and can't compare in the hill climbing dept. The mcm5 decends just as well as it climbs. I have had more than one occasion where the 16s was still picking up speed going down steep mnt bike trails. This same sections feel far more controllable on the mcm5. 

Could the mcm5 be a 1st wheel? Maybe, I dont know how well the shell would hold up as I have yet to drop mine but Marty has and it had help up well.  It may be a little unstable for learning but vastly superior to the wheel I learned on (a Freeman 132wh) that would over lean super easy. Had plastic topped pedals with rubber inserts that did not offer any traction. It is a perfect 2nd wheel though. 

Just for reference, at this point I'd say I'm a novice to intermediate level rider. I mount and dismount with either leg on the machine. I can ride one legged only with my left leg on the machine and I can only turn right. I can idle. When reversing I can also only turn one direction so my 3 point turns also have to go the same way. If I hit a bump the right way I'll still get wobbles and have to slow down for them to go away,  this more of an issue on the mcm5 AMD really only happens when going 20 or more mph. The 16s is rock steady and feels like it should have a slightly higher top speed. 

In the back of my mind I will always feel like I missed out on getting a blue ACM2 1600wh but I didnt know it would be so short lived so I didn't grab one when I could have. I didnt know the stopped making them until I went to order one and couldn't.  Sent an email to Jason at ewheels to ask about them and told him if I cant get an ACM2 to just send me an invoice for the mcm5. 

This wheel has made me really wonder if I need an 18 inch wheel. I seem to prefer the quick steering over the stability. I know I'll still get one because ....well, ya gotta collect em all! 

When the time comes for that 3rd wheel if they have a 2000 watt 1200wh mcm6 then I doubt I'll be getting an 18 though!

Thanks for reading, hopefully something here has been a help to someone. I'll update if I have any issues with the wheel otherwise I'll be back at 500 miles. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Flying W said:

25mi ride today. About 40% off road including some single track which was great fun. 

"Fuel" consumption was quite different between both wheels this time (last ride had them almost even) with the mcm5 finishing at 33% at rest and the 16s at 46%. My fast charger only gets the mcm5 to 96% on wheelog though, the 16s does read 100% when it's done charging. 

The only difference was the horse trail that I've rode a few times now, enough to know where I want to be line wise. My dad was taking it cautiously while I was flying. And some other spots durring the ride I did stop to wait. 

The mcm5 handles very well off road. It's so nimble you pick your way through the bad trail sections and it has so much torque that you can climb almost anything. It acts like a larger wheel than it is.  

I think I can honestly say if your looking to buy a 16s and you can go without speakers and a break light,  you should strongly consider an mcm5. The steering accuracy is amazing and the way it climbs a hill is so effortless. 

For my commute I still prefer the 16s due to the night time visibility with the side lights and taillight. I also have the XLs pedals on it so it's super comfy but for weekend play riding the 16s feels docile, doesn't turn by mere thought alone and can't compare in the hill climbing dept. The mcm5 decends just as well as it climbs. I have had more than one occasion where the 16s was still picking up speed going down steep mnt bike trails. This same sections feel far more controllable on the mcm5. 

Could the mcm5 be a 1st wheel? Maybe, I dont know how well the shell would hold up as I have yet to drop mine but Marty has and it had help up well.  It may be a little unstable for learning but vastly superior to the wheel I learned on (a Freeman 132wh) that would over lean super easy. Had plastic topped pedals with rubber inserts that did not offer any traction. It is a perfect 2nd wheel though. 

Just for reference, at this point I'd say I'm a novice to intermediate level rider. I mount and dismount with either leg on the machine. I can ride one legged only with my left leg on the machine and I can only turn right. I can idle. When reversing I can also only turn one direction so my 3 point turns also have to go the same way. If I hit a bump the right way I'll still get wobbles and have to slow down for them to go away,  this more of an issue on the mcm5 AMD really only happens when going 20 or more mph. The 16s is rock steady and feels like it should have a slightly higher top speed. 

In the back of my mind I will always feel like I missed out on getting a blue ACM2 1600wh but I didnt know it would be so short lived so I didn't grab one when I could have. I didnt know the stopped making them until I went to order one and couldn't.  Sent an email to Jason at ewheels to ask about them and told him if I cant get an ACM2 to just send me an invoice for the mcm5. 

This wheel has made me really wonder if I need an 18 inch wheel. I seem to prefer the quick steering over the stability. I know I'll still get one because ....well, ya gotta collect em all! 

When the time comes for that 3rd wheel if they have a 2000 watt 1200wh mcm6 then I doubt I'll be getting an 18 though!

Thanks for reading, hopefully something here has been a help to someone. I'll update if I have any issues with the wheel otherwise I'll be back at 500 miles. 

The EWheels fast charger does not seem capable of charging any wheel to 100-percent. Unless I'm in a hurry (since I have so many wheels, I'm never in a hurry) I use a stock charger to get to 100-percent.

BTW, the MCM5 does light the rear section of the ring lights to all red when you brake.

There's still a lot of ACM2's out there to be sold. You just can't buy them from Jason. For instance, our favorite Chinese Direct seller, Green Fashion Traveling Shop, has ACM2's for sale. Many of us have bought from Chen.

Green Fashion ACM2 Link

Funny that you can only turn right. At the beginning it was much easier for me to turn left. You just have to fight being lazy and every time you go for a ride, spend a few minutes practicing turning left. Spend more time on your weaknesses and you're get surprisingly good, fast.

• Like 1

I watched your series on riding backwards and halfway through when you were still in the driveway I switched over to one of your group rides in the river bed. You were just cruising backwards steady as a rock! 

For some reason my brain couldn't get it starting from a truck or wall. For me it worked best reversing from forward and then I started trying to mount and go backwards like in your video. 

Thanks for the tip on the chargers. I'll use em for the 78 to 80% charge for the work days as its nice to get some juice quickly and use the stock ones for longer ride days. Oddly the 84v fast charger reads 84.4 when it's done haha.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Small update. Did a 25mi ride, all paved, that went up and down a lot of hills. By the end I was dropping under 20% going up hill (steep hill) and that was the only time it beeped. Resting battery % was 36. Ave speed 12.8mph and a top speed of 23.  

I'm pretty sure you can rode this one however you like and it will go 20 miles without protesting.  With 36% at rest if I needed to I know I could have gone another 5 miles. Had this rode been on flat ground at 15mph or less I think 35 miles is achievable. 

Still loving this wheel! 

• Like 2

• 7 months later...
1 hour ago, Flying W said:

I just crossed 2k miles on the mcm5 so I thought I'd give an update. The summary of this wall of text is that the wheel had been stellar, no noticeable drop in range, no cut outs and I still love riding it! 

So far the wheel has never let me down,  any battle scars are down to user error. It had taken a few hard spills and nothing broke or cracked. It was acting a little funny a while ago and @Marty Backe said to check the screws on the control board, they were a little lose (not much either) and tightening them fixed the issue (thanks Marty!).

I have been running 36 grit on the pedals and the grip is even better than what ever kingson uses on the large pedals. I replaced the stock pads with ones I made using a workout mat for dumbbells.  Instead of my feet coming off the pedals the wheel just stays with me until we both come back down. Very secure feeling.  

So far I don't notice any drop in range from when the wheel was new. It doesnt stay at 100% when it's not being used and for my daily playing around I only charge to 80% or so. About once a week I go on a 25mile ride and that is when the cells gets balanced out. 

The shell does creak a little now when getting on and off. I just out on the 3rd tire and I've had it open 4 times. Since the screws go into plastic you have to be careful and I did strip a couple that hold the inner shell together. I think this is where the creaking sound is coming from. Its is still solid while riding and doesnt make any noise on rough dirt paths. 

If this wheel had a larger battery I would not hesitate to take it on longer rides. Its plenty smooth enough, and fast enough, for med distance rides. 

Here are what I feel are the cons.

The 3p battery is effected by voltage drop quite a bit. Of your reading 20% at rest you can still cruise at 15 to 18mph on flat ground but if you need to go uphill a jogger may pass you.  The 1020wh in the Tesla would have been great if it could have fit in there. 

The wheel loves steep hills, most of which I encounter off road, but the pedals are low. Most of my surprise get off are due to catching a pedal on a rock. 

The tire while nice and compliant on road does not have a good tread pattern for dirt and it's not very wide to help on softer dirt. 

My LED lights stopped working in less than 250 miles. I'm not a big light show guy but it is nice to have riding around traffic at night to help cars see you. Wish gotway used better lights. 

I also wish there were connectors inline for the hall sensor wires so you didn't need to deal with the silicone on the board to change a tire. This wheel chews through tires when used for commuting. Most of that is my fault for accelerating and breaking way too hard but those are the best attributes of this wheel. 

I kind of wish other companies would make a competitor to this wheel so we could see more innovation. A slightly larger shell for more batter (with brass inserts please) and a 2k watt motor with a 2.5 in tire and higher pedals would be epic for off road use. I know an 18in is way smoother on a dirt road but I like taking mnt bike trails and the climbs are often way steeper than an 18in would want to do, or be comfortable doing. 

If you typically ride under 25mph for 25 miles or less at a time you really owe it to yourself to find someone with an mcm5 and take it for a spin. For urban use the breaking capability makes you feel very safe and the tire is so soft that it isnt any harder on the knees than a 16in wheel. It's very precise even at top speed (it will wiggle over bumpy surfaces but nothing that will toss you off and it recovers well) and it's still light enough to easily take on a train. Even has a motor kill switch too. 

I dont know how many more miles I have before needing to worry about the pedal arm shims but they are still tight.

I have new wheel disease creeping in and I cant become a collector (unless I want to sleep with my dog) but I dont think in could part with this wheel either. My other wheel is a 16s and it also just hit 2k miles but my dad has put the last 1k on it. Since he rides with me all the time I cant really sell the 16s either. 

I'll keep slowly working on my wife until shes ok with me getting another wheel though. Too many awesome looking group rides that need a larger battery wheel. Maybe if I take a job further away from home I could convince her.....then gas savings would pay for it in a few short months! 

Nice follow-up :cheers:

Regarding tire changes and wire disconnects. I haven't had to work on my MCM5, but on many other Gotway wheels you don't have to disconnect any wires to change the tire. You remove all the screws holding both halves together and then lay the wheel down with the side with the wires exiting the axle, pointing down. Then you can flip the shell up to get total access to the tire for removal.

This is what I like about changing tires on Gotway wheels vs KingSong. No wire disconnects needed. With KingSong that's not an option.

So you can't do this with the MCM5?

• Like 2

@Marty Backe I never tires it that way, didnt even think about it haha. I dropped the wheel out between the halves of the shell like on a kingsong. I'll give that a go in another 1k miles or so :cheers:

@Daniel Queron my dads on a small fixed income, and I like the 16s for teaching other people how to ride one. The Mrs will just need to be ok with 3 wheels. I'll show her the pic with Marty and his wheels so she can see that 3 still isnt enough :whistling::roflmao:

• Like 2

On 9/3/2019 at 8:29 PM, Flying W said:

I'll show her the pic with Marty and his wheels so she can see that 3 still isnt enough 

That's worth a try. If she isn't convinced, you can still sell the 16S to your father for a symbolic $, your wife doesn't need to know the selling price: that way you have room home for the next wheel and you can arrange a loan with your father for your teaching sessions! :D. Have your cake and eat it too! Happy wheelling!

• 3 weeks later...