Faceplant at 18-mph, on the Tesla

2 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

:blink:  Multi-thousand dollar exercise?  Looking at this website:

https://www.solvhealth.com/faq/how-much-does-urgent-care-cost

It looks like it might be $100-200 for a preliminary diagnosis not including xrays?  You guys have a weird system down there.   There is excellent insurance, but you have to meet a high deductible before it kicks in?

No wonder all you guys thought I was crazy not to get my shoulder checked over when it was free to do so.  We don’t even pay for xrays.  MRI is like a major wait list so it’s only for those absolutely needing it.  When medical care is free you just take it for granted.  In hindsight I should have gone just for the heck of it!  :w00t2:  How do you guys survive down there?

Same thing here. If I would fall in a way that included swelling, I would go to the ER stat. The cost out of pocket would be around $25, but at least I would get something out of all the taxes I pay. ;) 
This year I was part of a prostate cancer study (no, no problems detected), and had blood tests, MRI, and a rather painful tissue sampling done. All for free, and with the promise of following up in a few years, also for free. Or it's "free" rather than FREE, since the tax stewards come dig in our pockets whenever we look the other way. :D 

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply
29 minutes ago, Dingfelder said:

Or people could put small bolts into their pedals the way unicyclists do.  It's very hard to even find a pedal on them that doesn't have pins, either metal or plastic.  You'd just need to have something on the shell to protect it when you folded the pedals back.  But pins aren't generally very big, and they work very well.

On the off chance that folks might not think unicyclists are often subject to their feet leaving their pedals, check out some municycling (mountain unicycling) videos.  Or trials videos.  Start with Kris Holm, IMO, really spectacular.

As long as you don't overdo it. @Rehab1's accident would probably have been a lot less drastic without the spikes on the pedal glueing his feet to the pedals...

Yeah, it's a tough mix to figure.  As a beginning unicyclist, and from reading what other people say, pins are extremely effective, but sometimes way too much so.  I've been unable to free my feet from the pedals sometimes myself.

1 hour ago, Scatcat said:

As long as you don't overdo it. @Rehab1's accident would probably have been a lot less drastic without the spikes on the pedal glueing his feet to the pedals...

I agree! Even having a soft connection ( studs/bolts) between the soles of your shoes and the pedals can exacerbate the force of impact as the wheel tends to follow you instead of releasing. 

Coinciding with your accident is the loss of function for my irregularly used MBTA (Massachusetts Bay Transit Authority) bus/subway plastic card. On a cold weather day I learned that only the cash (or as yesterday the drivers discretion) in my pocket would be acceptable for MBTA ridership. I could neither add cash value nor activate the gate-passage way at the subway, nor register a riders fare paid on the bus by passing it over the detector. An email to MBTA said my account balance was valid and if needed they could mail me a new card. This message dispelled the thought that recently turning 65 triggered a fiscally cheaper senior card requirement (and registration) for use by this senior citizen. Technically but not functionally my 'Charlie card' is still useable at the normal adult rate.

Two thoughts remain.

First is the unlikely thought that a recent EUC tumble (post Oct 24- last card use date) in some way demagnetized/deregistered the plastic card which has been placed into a protective card slot in my wallet and never needed removal (from the wallet) for use.

Second is the seemingly unlikely thought that administrative intervention caused the card to become unuseable by someone wishing to keep me from using the MBTA with the Monster to expedite travel to or from my riding site (following a review of constant video monitoring of passengers?).

I'm still puzzled by my recent Monster motor purchase debacle with Jane Mo where I descretly wired (for $45) a $400+ amount to a China Construction Bank account # as indicated in a Proforma Invoice sent by her. After the wire transfer was processed and Jane alerted to the payment all things went contrary to expected business protocol.

Jane said she was soo sorry, that a terrible mistake was made, that the account to which the money was wired was no longer valid and that I please ask my bank to refund the money used in the wire transfer. Additional conversations (14 days ago) settle around the theme of 'wait' or 'I'm waiting for my boss' or 'use ur(sic) email' addresses rather than 'WeChat' to discuss the matter.

In all fairness I purchased the Gotway a year ago on eBay from a seller who advertised and sold at a price that was $400 less than the standard price of a Gotway Monster. Maybe I'm a victim of my own purchase philosophy with Gotway pocketing the sum missing in the original eBay purchase price for the Monster. 

I could have purchased a Monster motor from AliExpress at a similar price. I mentioned that option to Jane in an email in response to the question of buying from her (Gotway) vs AliExpress she responded 'either way' (at a 1 email per day conversation limit).

While my purchase problem is unrelated to your most recent and apparently serious fall, the reality of becoming quickly and unexpectedly (and permanently) injured while riding an EUC under non-perfect conditions or under conditions of part failure (broken pedal for me) are foreboding events that all riders tend to share. 

@Marty Backe

Your live narrative of the post fall injury is unique to your style. I would have foregone the video production and just a rode home. Then again I'm not the videographer/ rider extrodinaire known as Marty Backe.

A visit to the ER, becoming admitted as a patient and following their systematic process (at your deductible's rate) would seem like a good choice health wise. You will become a 'case' based on your injuries assessment and become progressively evaluated based on established medical principle. I'm sure you already are aware of that. They become liable for erroneoussly provided care once you become a case. Rehab1 mentioned some billing fee assistance. Maybe the ER you chose (in the event that you seek medical care) will cut you some fiscal slack.

Good luck with your recovery and gear replacement. The scratched watch, wrist guard and helmet (less rear view mirror) says a lot.

The eitiology of your accident is in my opinion a wheel diameter rather than pedal size issue. At 18mph a larger diameter wheel with a wider tire would have been less affected by the surface rut that caused your Tesla to turn off track and lead to your fall. An eBike would have been a good choice but you no longer ride bicycles and you have knee problems related to age and previous bicycle riding experiences.

Videography sharing seems to be a common bond between riders. I tend to think that anything which potentially distracts an EUC rider from riding safely is a risk not necessarily worth taking.

Hi.

Hobe for your good recovery!

I have tried a faceplant.

Landed hard on chest and albovs.

Could not lift my right arm.

Doctor said: Take a rope over something. Take one end of the rope with left hand and the other with right hand. Pull rope down with left hand, so the right arm lift until it hurts. Stop and slowly take left arm up, so right arm goes down by itself. Do that 10 times times 3 a day. Then you don't get a frozen shoulder.

After a hollyday trip i went to the doctor again. Arm was still not good. Got a ultrasound and xray.

The round bone at the end of my arm, up in my shoulder had been broken, but had got together by it self. I didn't get a frozen shoulder because of the exercise with the robe, but by movement with right arm was still not good. 

Went to a place where i learned some movement exercises for my arm, for severel weeks. Didn't help to get my arm up 180 degrees in front movement. 
Didn't have problem with movement of right arm backwards.

Went to a thai massage, where i got a wooden block knocked, with a rubber hammer, up under my shoulder blade in my right side.

That helped my to get my arm up in 180 degrees after a couple of times with the hammer. I have no problems with my arm since and i are up driving EUC again.

Kind regards Christian

Some fashion choices for you @Marty Backe taken from our ride last week (about 50f degrees so we're bundled) .  

On the left is the Fox Armor (aggressive post zombie apocalypse look,

The middle standard modern motor cycle jacket w/  level 2 integrated armor on elbows, forearms, shoulders, and back (front pockets are carrying/hidding my GoPro etc for the shot) & motorcycle jeans with d30 knee armor and woven kevlar into jean (also wearing the g-form d3o snowboard armor shorts under for hip/tailbone/and sit bones protection as well as Fleximeter's) & level 2 motorcycle boots.    Brand: RevIt, Ironworks, Alpine 

On the right standard pads on a normal jacket. 

47577711_1888623061187094_5795257706738614272_n.jpg

71zGTE+zgUL._SL1500_.jpg

5 minutes ago, Professur said:

Motorcycle jeans. That's a new one for me.

Here's a link to an example pair:  https://www.cyclegear.com/gear/bilt-iron-workers-steel-jeans

Bilt Iron Workers Steel Jeans

BiLT understands that regular jeans just don't cut it out on the streets. That's why they came out with the Iron Workers Steel Jeans. 100% denim on the outside, CE armor and reinforced with aramid fiber on the inside. Tough as Nails.

Features:

• Relaxed fit
  • Multi-tone stitch detail throughout
  • Loose leg fit for wear over boots
  • Hand-washed and finished denim - 100% cotton
  • Aramid/polyester mix fabric on all impact zones - knees, hips and seat
  • Short two-part connecting zips
  • CE Armor EN-1621-1 at the knees

7 hours ago, Dingfelder said:

LOL I'm absolutely positive Clint Eastwood was not nearly so concerned about political correctness.  Definitely not enough to affect his grammar.

:smartass:Yes indeed, I took a little liberty.:thumbup:

7 hours ago, Scatcat said:

But no Swedish "Fika"? :) 

We all need Swedish "Fika"!

Hilarious :D

Does look like some good stuff. Unfortunately for me, I know of no Swedish bakeries around me :crying:

3 hours ago, Professur said:

So your doctor told you after an accident to yank the arm up by a rope 30 times a day .. without suggesting an x-ray first?

:facepalm:

2 hours ago, Mike Paolini said:

Some fashion choices for you @Marty Backe taken from our ride last week (about 50f degrees so we're bundled) .  

On the left is the Fox Armor (aggressive post zombie apocalypse look,

The middle standard modern motor cycle jacket w/  level 2 integrated armor on elbows, forearms, shoulders, and back (front pockets are carrying/hidding my GoPro etc for the shot) & motorcycle jeans with d30 knee armor and woven kevlar into jean (also wearing the g-form d3o snowboard armor shorts under for hip/tailbone/and sit bones protection as well as Fleximeter's) & level 2 motorcycle boots.    Brand: RevIt, Ironworks, Alpine 

On the right standard pads on a normal jacket. 

47577711_1888623061187094_5795257706738614272_n.jpg

Great picture, and thanks :D

3 hours ago, Professur said:

So your doctor told you after an accident to yank the arm up by a rope 30 times a day .. without suggesting an x-ray first?

I got time for ultrasound first.

They didn't find anything wrong.

Thay told me about the rope thing, so i didn't get a frozen shoulder.

Got then again a ultrasound and x-ray.

And then they found out, that my shoulder had been broken but had repaired it self.

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

Hilarious :D

Does look like some good stuff. Unfortunately for me, I know of no Swedish bakeries around me :crying:

Here in Sweden you can actually by newly baked Cinnamon Rolls at Seven Eleven...

From left to right:

Mazarin cake: https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/8453/mazarin-cake-i/

Punschrulle/Dammsugare (Punch Roll/Vacuum Cleaner): http://www.swedishfood.com/swedish-food-recipes-biscuits-cakes/376-arrack-rolls-or-vacuum-cleaners-punschrullar-eller-dammsugare

Chocolate Balls: https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/150106/swedish-chocolate-balls-or-coconut-balls/ (Don't make those, you'll get addicted and die of heart failure)

Cinnamon Roll, the Swedish fika signature sweetbread (actually a variant, but the original is the best): https://sweden.se/culture-traditions/cinnamon-buns/

All four are addictive. The first is juicy sweet with an almond paste filling and sugar glazing, the second has a cakey/doughy texture with chocolate and a tinge of arrack, the third is chocolate heaven, and for those who don't like coconut shavings, you can use pearl sugar, the last is a firework of cinnamon, cardamom, pastrylike bun and buttery sweetness. Should ideally be served still slightly warm from the oven.

I have no idea how we Swedes manage not to have more of an obesity problem, given our taste for this shit, but there it is! ;) 

PS Should be served with strong coffee, or you will feel like your mouth is frosted with sugar afterwards DS

PPS A Swedish maker of sweetbreads actually wrote on the package "May contain trace amounts of nutrients..." DDS

1 hour ago, KrikandersCW said:

I got time for ultrasound first.

They didn't find anything wrong.

Thay told me about the rope thing, so i didn't get a frozen shoulder.

Got then again a ultrasound and x-ray.

And then they found out, that my shoulder had been broken but had repaired it self.

That makes more sense.

@Scatcat hmm so we shift to the topic of cakes now...there is no way you can compete with a "fynsk kagebord" add with Danish "hygge". Give @Marty Backea week of that treatment and we will have @Jason McNeil pushing for EUCs that can handle 250+ lbs rider. 😀

3520754_400_300_0_0_0_0_2.jpg

In short it is like the community gathering that bring a homebaked cake each so you typical end up having 15+ different cakes and one is better than the other so you just have to taste the next one....and buckets of pitch black coffee, no sugar or cream needed due to the cakes have this.

Hehe @Marty Backe this will give you a body shock that could last a lifetime. 

49 minutes ago, Unventor said:

@Scatcat hmm so we shift to the topic of cakes now...there is no way you can compete with a "fynsk kagebord" add with Danish "hygge". Give @Marty Backea week of that treatment and we will have @Jason McNeil pushing for EUCs that can handle 250+ lbs rider. 😀

3520754_400_300_0_0_0_0_2.jpg

In short it is like the community gathering that bring a homebaked cake each so you typical end up having 15+ different cakes and one is better than the other so you just have to taste the next one....and buckets of pitch black coffee, no sugar or cream needed due to the cakes have this.

Hehe @Marty Backe this will give you a body shock that could last a lifetime. 

I would really love visiting one of those. But if I walk in, I'd have to make fast for two weeks before to leave enough room to be able to walk out again, rather than hobble. Another example of Danes and Swedes trying to outdo each other :D 

But I could always let poor @Marty Backe taste my kids favorite birthday cake...

It is a chocolate bomb with a sticky almost creamy core. It contains:

• 1-1 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
  • 4 1/4 cups white sugar
  • 6 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 2 1/2 cup flour
  • 8 eggs
  • 2 tbs strong black coffee
  • 14 oz melted butter

filling and topping:

• 1-2 cups cream to whip
  • sugar for the whipped cream to taste
  • vanilla for the whipped cream to taste
  • 1 tbs cocoa for the whipped cream
  • 3.5 oz ground dark chocolate sprinkled over the cake

Blend the ingredients in order, and be careful not to overdo it after the flour is added.

Pour into two 12" round forms (preferably the kind where the sides can be clicked off)
Before pouring, it is a good idea to butter and flour the form to make the cake not stick. Or use a teflon coated form.

Bake in 345°F for 30 minutes. Let cool before taking out of the forms.

Whip and mix the cream and the rest, add a generous layer between the cakes, add a generous layer on top and sides.

Sprinkle the dark chocolate.

Eat.

Die of heart failure.

@Marty Backe Sorry I edited the last post while you upvoted it. Try the cake, but be prepared to use the freezer for the leftovers. Unless you're under 20, the chances of eating more than a thin slice without getting diabetes is minuscule :roflmao:

Or.... just halve the recipe and make it in one layer. That works too, and is less overbearing.

10 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

How do you guys survive down there?  Me, I’m just averse to some medical practitioners.  Most of the time I can usually guess the outcome of a visit pretty accurately.  

My bad! I should have came to you first. ;)

Archived