Faceplant at 18-mph, on the Tesla

51 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

My arm is showing bruising now and my upper arm and shoulder is swollen.

You know what's best for your situation of course, but the swelling for me would be a sign that it needs to get it checked out. 

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply
48 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Thanks!

I think the Flexmeters really did there job. I'm OK still not wearing gloves. In the grand scheme, I only got a couple very small areas of bad road rash on my fingers. I can live with that.

I suspect you're going to see me wearing more body armor. Not all the time, but during my dedicated rides I'm going to add some shoulder protection. There's nothing like having a bad fall to personally learn what kind of protection you really need.

I know know that elbow pads really do come into play, and shoulder protection too. There's no perfection solution, but you can always better your odds.

All protection is a balance between perfection and what is actually reasonably comfortable to use. While I applaud @Rehab1's experiments with foam and such, I suspect I would never use it even if I had it. It would be too bulky, too hot, too cumbersome putting on etcetera. I probably should switch my jacket for more comprehensive armor and a kevlar outer layer, but I look at my bear suit and think again. It is actually less convenient to put on than my jacket, even if it is less bulky. Putting on armor which takes a while, then trying to add an outer layer and then the flexmeters on top of that and before you know it you yell "YOLO!" and run with nothing but the flexmeters and a bike-helmet :D 

So I'm always on the lookout for an alternative like my MC-jacket, but one step up in protection. Something that is simple and good looking to put on, but that will pad me a bit more. That could take a bigger slide without ripping, that has a bit more substance in the elbow and shoulder area. Something that would go down just far enough to shield my butt and hips a little and maybe, just maybe some padding for the rib-cage. Preferably it wouldn't make me look like Arnold anno 1980, Robocop, or the Michelin guy... Where do I find such a strange magical thing? 

But I digress. Try to find elbow pads that are simple to use, sit well and go well with the flex-meters. I can recommend POC VPD, I use the ones without hard plates, but I hear good things about the ones that have them too. They have seriously good damping.

On the positive side, I'm glad that the accident didn't happen 22 miles up some mountainside where the wheel ends up not turning on again for whatever reason.  Imagine hurting your leg or something out in the middle of nowhere near sunset and needing to drag a 50 pound wheel back to civilization.  :blink:  Not fun!  Even with a buddy riding with you, there's only so much they could do to help.

Judging by the video and symptoms, I would highly recommend to have things checked out at the MD.  At least then you'll have a better idea about the status of your shoulder.  Self-diagnosis is best left to the professionals :ph34r: and those who pretend they are professionals.

11 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Judging by the video and symptoms, I would highly recommend to have things checked out at the MD.  At least then you'll have a better idea about the status of your shoulder.  Self-diagnosis is best left to the professionals :ph34r: and those who pretend they are professionals.

Keep un mind I personally don't have one, a wife.

They for whatever reason seem to be perfect to spot when something is wrong or to say not normal. Their consultation is something to listen to big time...or so I have heard 😉

If she ask to you go to a doctor, you is not asked..it is a request. Wife to husban dictionary 😁

6 minutes ago, Unventor said:

Keep un mind I personally don't have one, a wife.

They for whatever reason seem to be perfect to spot when something is wrong or to say not normal. Their consultation is something to listen to big time...or so I have heard 😉

If she ask to you go to a doctor, you is not asked..it is a request. Wife to husban dictionary 😁

I always hide my injuries as best I can so the better half won't be suggesting I should cut back on my wheel activity. :innocent1:

9 minutes ago, winterwheel said:

I always hide my injuries as best I can so the better half won't be suggesting I should cut back on my wheel activity. :innocent1:

You are addressing this the wrong way. An EUC accident injury it just a better way for you to thank her for taking good care of you as you are healing up again 😇🤕🤔

49 minutes ago, Scatcat said:

All protection is a balance between perfection and what is actually reasonably comfortable to use. While I applaud @Rehab1's experiments with foam and such, I suspect I would never use it even if I had it. It would be too bulky, too hot, too cumbersome putting on etcetera. I probably should switch my jacket for more comprehensive armor and a kevlar outer layer, but I look at my bear suit and think again. It is actually less convenient to put on than my jacket, even if it is less bulky. Putting on armor which takes a while, then trying to add an outer layer and then the flexmeters on top of that and before you know it you yell "YOLO!" and run with nothing but the flexmeters and a bike-helmet :D 

So I'm always on the lookout for an alternative like my MC-jacket, but one step up in protection. Something that is simple and good looking to put on, but that will pad me a bit more. That could take a bigger slide without ripping, that has a bit more substance in the elbow and shoulder area. Something that would go down just far enough to shield my butt and hips a little and maybe, just maybe some padding for the rib-cage. Preferably it wouldn't make me look like Arnold anno 1980, Robocop, or the Michelin guy... Where do I find such a strange magical thing? 

But I digress. Try to find elbow pads that are simple to use, sit well and go well with the flex-meters. I can recommend POC VPD, I use the ones without hard plates, but I hear good things about the ones that have them too. They have seriously good damping.

I have some decent elbow pads. I just stopped wearing them because I became convinced that they didn't play an important role. So I'll start using my Pro-Tec pads again.

49 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

On the positive side, I'm glad that the accident didn't happen 22 miles up some mountainside where the wheel ends up not turning on again for whatever reason.  Imagine hurting your leg or something out in the middle of nowhere near sunset and needing to drag a 50 pound wheel back to civilization.  :blink:  Not fun!  Even with a buddy riding with you, there's only so much they could do to help.

The thing is, when riding in the mountains you really aren't going that fast. I've had plenty of falls on trails but they're a piece of cake. It's the high-speed falls which cause the injuries.

So I'm not too worried about injuries when I'm in the back country.

1 minute ago, Marty Backe said:

I have some decent elbow pads. I just stopped wearing them because I became convinced that they didn't play an important role. So I'll start using my Pro-Tec pads again.

I like the motorcycle jacket and jeans as they have the elbow and knee protection built in and concealed.

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

My arm is showing bruising now and my upper arm and shoulder is swollen. Assisted range of motion is good with no sharp pains, so I'm optimistic. I can't effectively use the arm except to type and such. Major stiffness in my neck and other parts of the body. Amazing.

Still undecided about the doctor - I know, I know.

Ugh. Swelling and brusing. I assume your wife is not currently hounding you to seek medical advice. :) My wife would not take no for an answer and immediately drove me to ER. Something about us guys not wanting to visit a physician.

Your a smart guy and will make the correct decision. Will you atleast ice your shoulder and take some anti-inflammatories?

37 minutes ago, Unventor said:

You are addressing this the wrong way. An EUC accident injury it just a better way for you to thank her for taking good care of you as you are healing up again 😇🤕🤔

Yep!  It is clear that you do not have one, a wife. 

It does not work that way!  There is no telling how the circumstances will be twisted other than not in your favor. 

46 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

Ugh. Swelling and brusing. I assume your wife is not currently hounding you to seek medical advice. :) My wife would not take no for an answer and immediately drove me to ER. Something about us guys not wanting to visit a physician.

Your a smart guy and will make the correct decision. Will you atleast ice your shoulder and take some anti-inflammatories?

We all know our bodies. Based on the extent of your actual injuries, I have to assume that you were in a non-trivial amount of pain, particularly if you moved. This is not the case with me.

But please, if that was not the case, let me know ASAP and I'll get myself to the doctor.

Ice is way too inconvenient - I have to work you know :whistling:  And I'm not a pill popper :unsure:

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

After my plant, I switched to riding with an actual motorcycle jacket with built in armor (Revit - with the level 2 Protection).    Covers the shoulders, the elbows, the forearm, and the back.  Leave plenty of room for the flexmeter (which are incredible).

Also switched to a full face downhill helmet as I've realized how fragile and exposed my teeth are (no damage to them thanks to the helmet brim and the instinct to cover the face with hands, but was more luck of the landing imo.  Given a stone or a step or anything not flat...).

I had already been using Motorcycle pants and motorcycle boots (kevlar woven in, built in pads).

The conclusion here we are on the edge of motorcycle speeds relying on new tech with no safety features and less testing than most devices., and just as likely to be hit by cars.  So finding that compromise between comfort and safety, its a balance as you noted.  I think the motorcycle gear has already plumbed that area and is rich in transferred learnings.  :)

Feel better man, and thanks for sharing.

The motorcycle gear is nice too because the outer shell with the pads can be worn by itself. It still looks like a full jacket and has the protection, but it is basically just mesh in the non-padded areas so it allows the wind through and is cool to wear even on the hottest days.

49 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

We all know our bodies. Based on the extent of your actual injuries, I have to assume that you were in a non-trivial amount of pain, particularly if you moved. This is not the case with me.

But please, if that was not the case, let me know ASAP and I'll get myself to the doctor.

Ice is way too inconvenient - I have to work you know :whistling:  And I'm not a pill popper :unsure:

In this case Ibuprofen, or even Paracetamol wouldn't hurt a bit. The swelling should be kept in check. Pop a pill or two. When the lady got hurt in her foot, they gave her a horses dose of Paracetamol (not recommended unless you know how much is safe) and added a tripple dose of Ibuprofen. The two drugs seem to have a synergetic effect against inflammation and pain. If I remember right it was something like 1000mg of one and 1200mg of the other, @Rehab1 might know what is safe. It worked like a charm though, helping a lot with the swelling.

As for ice, fill a few large freezer bags with flour, until they are an inch or so thick laying flat. Freeze them good, and they will keep the cold for quite a while. Then just refreeze when they don't work anymore, and repeat. They can be contoured around the area needing cold, and the flour will be no worse afterward. You ('r wifey) can use it to make Swedish/Danish Cinnamon Rolls to make the pain more bearable. :whistling:

Marty, Take it from an old guy that has a high tolerance for pain, go get some x-rays. I would be surprised if you don't have a cracked bone or two from the sounds of it. I had a crash 1.5 years ago, before I wore wrist guards and knee pads. Got x-rayed/mri'ed and had a cracked ulna and small wrist bone. Not too bad and only required immobilization for 6 weeks. Which, of course, I didn't do ... so it took more like 16 weeks to heal.

42 minutes ago, Scatcat said:

In this case Ibuprofen, or even Paracetamol wouldn't hurt a bit. The swelling should be kept in check. Pop a pill or two. When the lady got hurt in her foot, they gave her a horses dose of Paracetamol (not recommended unless you know how much is safe) and added a tripple dose of Ibuprofen. The two drugs seem to have a synergetic effect against inflammation and pain. If I remember right it was something like 1000mg of one and 1200mg of the other, @Rehab1 might know what is safe. It worked like a charm though, helping a lot with the swelling.

As for ice, fill a few large freezer bags with flour, until they are an inch or so thick laying flat. Freeze them good, and they will keep the cold for quite a while. Then just refreeze when they don't work anymore, and repeat. They can be contoured around the area needing cold, and the flour will be no worse afterward. You ('r wifey) can use it to make Swedish/Danish Cinnamon Rolls to make the pain more bearable. :whistling:

I did decide to take some Ibuprofen a couple of hours ago. Thanks :)

3 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

The thing is, when riding in the mountains you really aren't going that fast. I've had plenty of falls on trails but they're a piece of cake. It's the high-speed falls which cause the injuries.

So I'm not too worried about injuries when I'm in the back country.

:efef585a74:

47 minutes ago, Chriull said:

@Marty Backe, just to ask - you did not by accident log this ride with wheellog?

No. Although I usually always use WheelLog, I never actually log the data.

This wasn't a wheel issue (lack of power, etc.), just a simple case of the wheel being thrown off balance.

3 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Your correct. I could not move my arm but I thought it was just a pulled muscle. I did ride 1/4 mile back to my truck so I thought I would be ok. I even doubted the urgent care’s radiologist’s report. I was not aware of the full extent of my injuries until my ortho friend pulled up my xrays at home that night. I still couldn’t believe it. 

If you have any doubts about your injuries Marty  then have your shoulder evaluated by ortho. Be well!

@Rehab1 - I've never broken a bone in my body thankfully so could you tell us how much pain you had when you shattered your humeral head?  You would think that something like that would be excruciatingly painful, but even @The Fat Unicyclist went on a trip with a broken elbow and didn't think much of it.  He had a lot of bruising though in his case.  Could you describe the feeling from time of injury to a few days later?  Often we do not know our bodies as well as we think!

Ouch, I'm glad you're mostly okay @Marty Backe. Those unexpected bumps always throw me off (metaphorically, not literally so far).

Since you're considering body armor, I'd suggest you look into a motorcycle jacket. I'm happy with mine so far, though I haven't had any falls, except the one you saw in Whittier.

I like the fact that it has protection for the elbows, shoulders and back like the body armor, but it's easy to put on an off, the material offers some protection against road rash, and it has pockets. It can get hot in the summer, but you can remove the inner liner so it allows for airflow.

Good luck on your recovery.

1 hour ago, Rehab1 said:

Your correct. I could not move my arm but I thought it was just a pulled muscle. I did ride 1/4 mile back to my truck so I thought I would be ok. I even doubted the urgent care’s radiologist’s report. I was not aware of the full extent of my injuries until my ortho friend pulled up my xrays at home that night. I still couldn’t believe it. 

If you have any doubts about your injuries Marty  then have your shoulder evaluated by ortho. Be well!

Unfortunately I don't have any ortho friends :(

If I go to a doctor, MRI, ortho, etc., this becomes a multi-thousand dollar exercise. I'm certainly not opposed to if needed, but I'm being honest when I say that $$$ is what keeps me from immediately going to the doctor as a precaution. I have excellent insurance but a high deductible that hasn't been used at all this year. So the first few thousand is on me.

Besides the swelling and tenon/ligament pain when moving the arm unassisted, I have no pain when I press or poke anywhere on my arm or shoulder. Just feels like a really bad tenon strain that I've experienced sometimes when pushing the weights too hard at the gym.

But if I have lingering doubts after a while, I'll open the wallet.

Thanks for your help.

29 minutes ago, noisycarlos said:

Ouch, I'm glad you're mostly okay @Marty Backe. Those unexpected bumps always throw me off (metaphorically, not literally so far).

Since you're considering body armor, I'd suggest you look into a motorcycle jacket. I'm happy with mine so far, though I haven't had any falls, except the one you saw in Whittier.

I like the fact that it has protection for the elbows, shoulders and back like the body armor, but it's easy to put on an off, the material offers some protection against road rash, and it has pockets. It can get hot in the summer, but you can remove the inner liner so it allows for airflow.

Good luck on your recovery.

I'm debating my body armor choices. I'm leaning towards the more aggressive look that @YoshiSkySun wears vs the bulky jacket route.

Thanks.

Archived