Faceplant at 18-mph, on the Tesla

Marty,  Sorry to hear you were hurt.  Your vids are an inspiration... hope you get better without the need of medical attention.   

FWIW... I use the Demon D30 like Ian at Speedy Feet... https://demonsnow.com/store/MTB-BMX/MTB-BMX-Upper-Lower Body/Bike-Team-Pack-Core-Men

has shoulder, arm, elbow, back and chest protection and all pads can be removed so you can fit what you want and wash it... also really low profile.

Feel better soon!

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, See6 said:

Marty,  Sorry to hear you were hurt.  Your vids are an inspiration... hope you get better without the need of medical attention.   

FWIW... I use the Demon D30 like Ian at Speedy Feet... https://demonsnow.com/store/MTB-BMX/MTB-BMX-Upper-Lower Body/Bike-Team-Pack-Core-Men

has shoulder, arm, elbow, back and chest protection and all pads can be removed so you can fit what you want and wash it... also really low profile.

Feel better soon!

Thanks! I'm saving that link. Looks like a very nice setup, and along the lines of what I'm leaning towards.

Do you wear yours alone in the summer and under a jacket in the winter (now)?

Yes it can be warm or cold. It is light enough to wear by itself.  I have also warn under ski clothes for when doing double blacks.  I don’t bounce like I used too... So, you really have a full range of motion and that d30 is cool.

8 minutes ago, See6 said:

Yes it can be warm or cold. It is light enough to wear by itself.  I have also warn under ski clothes for when doing double blacks.  I don’t bounce like I used too... So, you really have a full range of motion and that d30 is cool.

One other question. Is the size chart good from your experience. It's a tough call for me. Medium or Large :confused1:  Is it a tight or loose fit based on your sizing experience?

I'm 5'10" and about 173 lbs (Waist 34, Chest/42) I wear a large and it is just right.   It fits close but not tight and matches their definition of large.  When I wheel I just put it on like a wind breaker, add the Fleximeter wrist guards and a bike helmet... done.   I've added my gore-tex bicycling jackets that fit close too and it works too.   Also added heavier wind stopper and lined jackets too.  

The d30 becomes more flexible as it warms up but hit it and it stiffens up instantly.

Hope that helps.

Scott

12 minutes ago, See6 said:

I'm 5'10" and about 173 lbs (Waist 34, Chest/42) I wear a large and it is just right.   It fits close but not tight and matches their definition of large.  When I wheel I just put it on like a wind breaker, add the Fleximeter wrist guards and a bike helmet... done.   I've added my gore-tex bicycling jackets that fit close too and it works too.   Also added heavier wind stopper and lined jackets too.  

The d30 becomes more flexible as it warms up but hit it and it stiffens up instantly.

Hope that helps.

Scott

That helps a lot. Thanks. I love the quality of my Flexmeter guards so I suspect I'd like this too.

I take it that you don't bother with the shorts?

26 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

One other question. Is the size chart good from your experience. It's a tough call for me. Medium or Large :confused1:  Is it a tight or loose fit based on your sizing experience?

That's what she said.

Honestly, with the textile stuff they can't seem to break in if they're a bit small, yet too big and they are slippery. While I'm not a fan of leather motorcycle clothing, it all seems to work much better because leather can be both tight and have some give.

If you can, go to a motorcycle store and try some of their stuff.

Vanson makes awesome stuff, and you'd look right sexy with it. I like this one. CE armor and all that stuff.

https://vansonleathers.com/mens-collection-of-motorcycle-jackets-racing-suits-pants-chaps-more/138-italia-jacket-black-waxon-leather-motorcycle-jacket-DRS2.html

Oh, I like the shorts too.  Probably should have commented... I wear them if i'll be riding a longer distance (30 miler a couple weeks ago) But, I pulled out the D30 butt crack protection because it's probably more for downhill mtb.  The side/thigh protection actually works and i can attest to sliding out... not a bad biff but i just slid out and the shorts protect the hips well.  They fit well under jeans.  A friend bought the same set up but bought the long pants.  They are ok but i like the shorts. 

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

I have excellent insurance but a high deductible that hasn't been used at all this year. So the first few thousand is on me.

Yes high deductibles can be burdensome. In my practice many families choose to forgo treatment for their children just for that reason. Luckily I’m in a position to provide some assistance. 

9 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

Yes high deductibles can be burdensome. In my practice many families choose to forgo treatment for their children just for that reason. Luckily I’m in a position to provide some assistance. 

I wouldn't expect anything less from you Dan :cheers:

Needless to say (but I'm saying it anyway) I wouldn't let a deductible keep me from getting my children treated. But me? That's a different story :)

I assume you will replace the Flexmeter wrist guards?  Yours looked pretty well trashed and that was my experience after a similar incident.  Most of the other Flexmeter components could probably take another beating or two, but the skid plates on the palms tend to tear loose.  The fabric that holds them in place is pretty flimsy.  I'm sure the manufacturer could beef up that point of failure with sturdier fabric, but I can also see why they wouldn't.  Better for business if these are considered single-use items.  

6 minutes ago, radial said:

I assume you will replace the Flexmeter wrist guards?  Yours looked pretty well trashed and that was my experience after a similar incident.  Most of the other Flexmeter components could probably take another beating or two, but the skid plates on the palms tend to tear loose.  The fabric that holds them in place is pretty flimsy.  I'm sure the manufacturer could beef up that point of failure with sturdier fabric, but I can also see why they wouldn't.  Better for business if these are considered single-use items.  

Yeah, time to buy another pair. I got a lot use from them so I have no problems buying another pair. Love their quality (although I know some people - you? - had some issues with the fabric).

They certainly seemed to do their job on this fall. +1 for Flexy's

Just now, Marty Backe said:

Yeah, time to buy another pair. I got a lot use from them so I have no problems buying another pair. Love their quality (although I know some people - you - had some issues with the fabric).

They certainly seemed to do their job on this fall. +1 for Flexy's

Oh, I agree that they work.  Hell, I did the experiment to prove it.  No serious injury when I fell using the Flexmeters.  Radial head fracture when I fell using another popular brand of wrist guards.  I'm just a little put out at the under-engineering.  Didn't stop me from buying another pair, though :).

On 12/9/2018 at 6:35 AM, Jason McNeil said:

We can't loose Marty! Do you think larger pedals would have helped? It's been on my todo for a while, but I'm going to get in touch with Gotway this evening to see if we get a 1 foot long pedal made. 

That headshot brings to mind this line:
In the fell clutch of circumstance I have not winced nor cried aloud. Under the bludgeonings of chance My head is bloody, but unbowed

Poetry on the Forum. This has to be a first :D

I just studied up on Invictus. I love it :cheers:

:confused1: This is all very confusing to me. Law makers should legalize EUCs as bicycles or Segways, or ??? and not required them to have insurance be registered, have tags. Why? Oh yeah, because they are green and compact and make great urban transport vehicles by themselves or as part of a first-last mile scheme and are fun to ride. Really?

No Pev would be considered an acceptable transporting device if you have to wear a full face helmet and full body armor to ride to the store to get a box of fruit pop-cycles. It's either ATGATT (all the gear all the time or a worthless exercise). If you don't wear ATGATT then one is "assuming" they won't have a bad fall in those instances where they are not wearing ATG. Does this mean that when they are wearing ATG they think they will have a bad fall? 

This discussion of various protection paraphernalia seems akin to discussing various drugs for handling severe indigestion, with no one mentioning how about not eating the foods that cause it. No matter what you wear the impact from hitting concrete-asphalt will hurt and most likely hurt you. Protection may stave off cuts, road rash, gashes, blunt force trauma, etc. The impact, however, is always transmitted to your body. Wrist guards help protect the risk but the shock then goes up the arm and elbow and/or shoulders take the shock. You hit a pole/curve in a fall; a helmet may protect your head from blunt force trauma, but then your neck and spine take the shock. 

EUCs are probably the most dangerous transport device for a given speed out there. The danger goes up as the speed goes up as does the likely pain and injuries from a fall.

You don't want indigestion, stop eating the things that cause it. You don't want to have to wear Gran Prix motorcycle gear to ride to the library, then ride slow enough to maximize one's fall avoidance capabilities. 

The question is not what equipment should one wear in case of a fall, but at what speed are you wiling to fall. The true believers-risk takers feel no speed is acceptable to fall. They don't plan on having a bad fall so wearing inconvenient protection is not for them. Those whose faith is not as strong try to hedge against a bad outcome. They want to ride fast and free like the true believers but have protection in case things go wrong. I fall into the category were the majority of EUC riders likely fall. Our mantra is akin to one of Clint Eastwood's often repeated axioms " a man should know their limitations" Man in this case meaning everyone.

4 hours ago, See6 said:

Hope that helps.

Scott

It is similar to my POC jacket. And I wear it as close to the body as possible. The demon jacket seems cheaper even here in Europe. I am about same size 175cm 75ish kg but in the POC I use medium. The shop I bought it from said it is important not to get it too big. The deciding factor here is the back plate. If it is to big it will move about on impact with risk of losing the potection. You also don't want it too big if you are to use it under your jacket. You might find a shop the sell mountain bike equipment so you can test it out and get advice on size, that is what I did.

37 minutes ago, Jerome said:

:confused1: This is all very confusing to me. Law makers should legalize EUCs as bicycles or Segways, or ??? and not required them to have insurance be registered, have tags. Why? Oh yeah, because they are green and compact and make great urban transport vehicles by themselves or as part of a first-last mile scheme and are fun to ride. Really?

Why not do the opposite? Do not require automobiles to have licensing, tax, or insurance. That way, automobiles, bikes, pedestrians, and EUCs would be treated about the same which seems fair to me.

28 minutes ago, Jerome said:

No Pev would be considered an acceptable transporting device if you have to wear a full face helmet and full body armor to ride to the store to get a box of fruit pop-cycles. It's either ATGATT (all the gear all the time or a worthless exercise). If you don't wear ATGATT then one is "assuming" they won't have a bad fall in those instances where they are not wearing ATG. Does this mean that when they are wearing ATG they think they will have a bad fall? 

This discussion of various protection paraphernalia seems akin to discussing various drugs for handling severe indigestion, with no one mentioning how about not eating the foods that cause it. No matter what you wear the impact from hitting concrete-asphalt will hurt and most likely hurt you. Protection may stave off cuts, road rash, gashes, blunt force trauma, etc. The impact, however, is always transmitted to your body. Wrist guards help protect the risk but the shock then goes up the arm and elbow and/or shoulders take the shock. You hit a pole/curve in a fall; a helmet may protect your head from blunt force trauma, but then your neck and spine take the shock. 

EUCs are probably the most dangerous transport device for a given speed out there. The danger goes up as the speed goes up as does the likely pain and injuries from a fall.

You don't want indigestion, stop eating the things that cause it. You don't want to have to wear Gran Prix motorcycle gear to ride to the library, then ride slow enough to maximize one's fall avoidance capabilities. 

The question is not what equipment should one wear in case of a fall, but at what speed are you wiling to fall. The true believers-risk takers feel no speed is acceptable to fall. They don't plan on having a bad fall so wearing inconvenient protection is not for them. Those whose faith is not as strong try to hedge against a bad outcome. They want to ride fast and free like the true believers but have protection in case things go wrong. I fall into the category were the majority of EUC riders likely fall. Our mantra is akin to one of Clint Eastwood's often repeated axioms " a man should know their limitations" Man in this case meaning everyone.

If you strap on your inlines, most would at least consider donning a helmet and pads for knees, elbows and wrists. This is true even if you don't plan to go as fast as you can. Same thing if you go skating, on ice-skates or on a skateboard. If you go on a vespa or MC, not donning a helmet is considered really really stoopid. Some do anyway, but that is a Darwin Award waiting to happen. Nowadays many bicyclists don a helmet too, since their head is almost two meters from the asphalt and it takes no more than a pot hole, divot, unseen curb or gravel on asphalt to ruin your whole day.

The thing is that as soon as you take away the safety belt and roll cage of a car, you're exposed to whatever happens, independent of speed. Yeah the likelihood of falling badly goes up with speed, but even at 15mph you can easily fall in a way that prevents you running it out.

So yes, know your limitations. That is all well and good. I try to stay at the pace of bikes when I go commuting. But like a biker on his MC, I find it exhilarating to sometimes let loose. I try to do so intelligently, but then letting loose is never particularly smart anyway.

On 12/9/2018 at 6:35 AM, Jason McNeil said:

We can't loose Marty! Do you think larger pedals would have helped? It's been on my todo for a while, but I'm going to get in touch with Gotway this evening to see if we get a 1 foot long pedal made. 

That headshot brings to mind this line:
In the fell clutch of circumstance I have not winced nor cried aloud. Under the bludgeonings of chance My head is bloody, but unbowed

I have always admired the poetry of Peewee Herman.

2 hours ago, Jerome said:

Our mantra is akin to one of Clint Eastwood's often repeated axioms " a man should know their limitations" Man in this case meaning everyone.

LOL I'm absolutely positive Clint Eastwood was not nearly so concerned about political correctness.  Definitely not enough to affect his grammar.

15 hours ago, winterwheel said:

Another thing that would be really helpful is larger pedals.

On occasion the wheel hits a hole or obstacle or something and you lose contact with the wheel briefly; when you land again on the pedals your feet can be either forward or behind where they were before you took off. With feet already hanging off the ends of the pedals, this can be enough so that you can't recover. I had one crash like this; hit an unseen root, landed on the wheel with my left foot way off the front pedal, wobbled for another ten metres or so before another bump took me down. Had the pedals been even just a bit bigger I would been able to maintain control.

It would be nice to see an aftermarket where one could pick up pedals appropriately sized for one's feet.

Or people could put small bolts into their pedals the way unicyclists do.  It's very hard to even find a pedal on them that doesn't have pins, either metal or plastic.  You'd just need to have something on the shell to protect it when you folded the pedals back.  But pins aren't generally very big, and they work very well.

On the off chance that folks might not think unicyclists are often subject to their feet leaving their pedals, check out some municycling (mountain unicycling) videos.  Or trials videos.  Start with Kris Holm, IMO, really spectacular.

7 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Unfortunately I don't have any ortho friends :(

If I go to a doctor, MRI, ortho, etc., this becomes a multi-thousand dollar exercise. I'm certainly not opposed to if needed, but I'm being honest when I say that $$$ is what keeps me from immediately going to the doctor as a precaution. I have excellent insurance but a high deductible that hasn't been used at all this year. So the first few thousand is on me.

Besides the swelling and tenon/ligament pain when moving the arm unassisted, I have no pain when I press or poke anywhere on my arm or shoulder. Just feels like a really bad tenon strain that I've experienced sometimes when pushing the weights too hard at the gym.

But if I have lingering doubts after a while, I'll open the wallet.

Thanks for your help.

:blink:  Multi-thousand dollar exercise?  Looking at this website:

https://www.solvhealth.com/faq/how-much-does-urgent-care-cost

It looks like it might be $100-200 for a preliminary diagnosis not including xrays?  You guys have a weird system down there.   There is excellent insurance, but you have to meet a high deductible before it kicks in?

No wonder all you guys thought I was crazy not to get my shoulder checked over when it was free to do so.  We don’t even pay for xrays.  MRI is like a major wait list so it’s only for those absolutely needing it.  When medical care is free you just take it for granted.  In hindsight I should have gone just for the heck of it!  :w00t2:  How do you guys survive down there?  Me, I’m just averse to some medical practitioners.  Most of the time I can usually guess the outcome of a visit pretty accurately.  It’s probably not a good attitude to take, but old habits are hard to break.

7 hours ago, See6 said:

Feel better soon!

That suit looks really good, might have to open my wallet.... again....

Archived