• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

My new riding gear

IMG_0897-Edit

Southern California has a new Superhero, SuperBacke! 😀

24 minutes ago, fbhb said:

@Marty Backe the New riding gear looks awesome! How did the sizing/fit work out for the L/XL body protector & knee/shin guards that you chose? 

Perfect. The body arm has the adjustability to achieve a great fit and you feel really protected wrapped it in. The Leatt 5.5 was the only hard armor that I could find that includes great rib protection. It's pricey, but I want to minimize having to go through my pain and recovery a second time. Or worse.

The leg armor also fits perfectly, but the bottom two straps have the Velcro positioned such that you'll cut off blood circulation (unless you have toothpick legs). Fortunately my wife was able to reposition the Velcro to a better spot on the elastic straps.

9 minutes ago, Professur said:

Klaatu barada nikto

:roflmao:

18 minutes ago, Nic said:

Looks awesome, but you'll be practically invisible at night. Makes you look at least 10 years younger! ... This could be how the local Police will look in a few years time.

Enter "Glow Tubing" @Marty Backe can Tron that suit up over the Holidays and hit the streets at night, but I don't think Marty ride in the dark.

2 hours ago, Nic said:

Looks awesome, but you'll be practically invisible at night. Makes you look at least 10 years younger! ... This could be how the local Police will look in a few years time.

The only nighttime riding that I do is around town which is nicely lit. And I won't be wearing this for 'around town' riding.

On 12/23/2018 at 4:44 AM, Marty Backe said:

My new riding gear

Looks great, it would be good to hear more of Your opinions:

• how hot will it be inside when summer arrives
  • whole black means that sun will heat it even more
  • what kind of clothes you use under and over?
  • what are rain protection options?
  • black maybe looks cool, but vastly decrease passive safety - many drivers will notice you, and "I am not riding on public roads" is not that good excuse here...  in case of collision with any other road user - bike, car, truck - unicycle rider is always the worst protected. 
  • knee protectors - when you bend the knees when falling - do You think that the lower part may "catch" stones/gravel/stuff and decrease sliding effect offered (in most cases) by skate type protectors..

Also - if it is ok for You - afaik you got L/XL what are your waist and chest dimensions,  height and weight - I am probably on the edge between L-XL and XXL  as I am 86 waist 109 chest, with 186 height and around 83 kg , I have read some opinions that XXL fits well also not so XXL guys...

22 hours ago, Lukasz said:

Looks good, it would be good to hear more of Your opinion:

• how hot will it be inside when summer arrives I don't know of course, but I regularly ride with someone who has similar upper body armor and he tells me that it's not hot. The fabric is a stretching material that lets air flow through it. The body armor has lot of slots for air passage.
  • whole black means that sun will heat it even more You may be right, but I like black
  • what kind of cloth you use under and over? You only wear something below because if you put clothes/jacket on over the armor you lose the ability for the armor to slide when you hit the ground, which disperses a lot of the damaging energy. On this ride I was wearing a wool sweater underneath because the temperature was cool (18 Celsius)
  • what are rain protection options? I don't know. It doesn't rain where I live so I'm not concerned about riding in the rain. Sorry.
  • black maybe looks cool, but vastly decrease passive safety - many drivers will notice you, and "I am not riding on public roads" is not that good excuse here...  in case of collision with any other road user - bike, car, truck - unicycle rider is always the worst protected. My preference is black. I'm willing to accept a bit more risk. From my experience, the EUC (with flashing lights) captures people attention.
  • knee protectors - when you bend the knees when falling - do You think that the lower part may "catch" stones/gravel/stuff and decrease sliding effect offered (in most cases) by skate type protectors.. The Leatt knee protectors are designed for people who fall. They were recommended to me by another local rider. I really can't see this as a concern.

Also - if it is ok for You - afaik you got L/XL what are your waist and chest dimensions,  height and weight - I am probably on the edge between L-XL and XXL  as I am 86 waist 109 chest, with 186 height and around 83 kg , I have read some opinions that XXL fits well also not so XXL guys...  This fits me perfectly. My chest is 38-inches and my waist is 32-inches. I weigh ~165-pound and am 5'11". There is a large amount of adjustability with the body armor. I think the Leatt sizing chart is accurate. The knee guards fit my legs great, but I had to get my wife to move the Velcro on the two bottom straps otherwise the straps were much too tight - maybe they are designed for boys with stick calves :whistling:

See embedded responses above, in red

On 12/24/2018 at 9:54 AM, Marty Backe said:

See embedded responses above

Thank You a lot for answers.

One more question if You can maybe get some feedback from Your friend or maybe somebody knows, as google does not provide much feedback

What are differences between Leatt 5.5 body protector and Leatt Adventure body protector?

Below for comparison -  Leat Adventure - this seems to be older model than 5.5 but I am looking to hear what are true differences, as for me it seems to look quite OK 

Image result for leatt 5.5 body protector

Zbroja LEATT Body Protector 5.5

1 hour ago, Lukasz said:

Below for comparison -  Leat Adventure - this seems to be older model than 5.5 but I am looking to hear what are true differences, as for me it seems to look quite OK 

Image result for leatt 5.5 body protector

Zbroja LEATT Body Protector 5.5

As you say, the Adventure is the older model. Besides styling differences, the 5.5 offers new flank (rib) protection where the Adventure did not.

19 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Adventure is the older model. Besides styling differences, the 5.5 offers new flank (rib) protection where the Adventure did not.

Thank You a lot for help.

After closer look on the both types - 5.5 model seems to be better ventilated (many more small holes visible) and seems to have less large plastic surfaces (also probably better ventilation)

25 minutes ago, Lukasz said:

Thank You a lot for help.

After closer look on the both types - 5.5 model seems to be better ventilated (many more small holes visible) and seems to have less large plastic surfaces (also probably better ventilation)

I can't say how this will feel in the summer, but I've ridden about 10-hours with it and it's very comfortable. Today I rode with a long leave shirt with a thin wool sweater over the shirt. Then the armor. It was about 18-degrees Celsius and I was very comfortable. The air really flows thru this so your comfort depends on what you are wearing underneath it.

I don't know I'm really safer, but I feel very safe, like I'm ready for the apocalypse :D

I've read all this body armor with the mesh holding the armor together will shred when you crash as the mesh is not abrasion resistant.  Although it should supply lots of air flow for summer, the black color would attract and absorb lots of light converting it to heat.  I would think it would be like all the moto gear when riding in 80+ F temperature, it would be too hot to wear if you are not moving.  Meaning if there isn't any air flow to keep you cool, it would be way too hot.

15 minutes ago, eddiemoy said:

I've read all this body armor with the mesh holding the armor together will shred when you crash as the mesh is not abrasion resistant.  Although it should supply lots of air flow for summer, the black color would attract and absorb lots of light converting it to heat.  I would think it would be like all the moto gear when riding in 80+ F temperature, it would be too hot to wear if you are not moving.  Meaning if there isn't any air flow to keep you cool, it would be way too hot.

Yet we aren't exactly traveling at speeds that are likely to shred this. My fast riding will be in the low 20's 95-percent of the time.

I agree that everything gets hot when not moving, but I'm wearing this when I'm riding, not having a picnic :D

I've heard similar too-hot comments about enclosed full face helmets yet mine ended up being comfortable when I wore it in 90-degree weather.

We'll see how this works in the summer and I can change to something else if it's an issue. But @YoshiSkySun has been riding with similar gear in very hot Southern California weather and he always tells me that it's not hot. So I'm optimistic. 

4 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Yet we aren't exactly traveling at speeds that are likely to shred this. My fast riding will be in the low 20's 95-percent of the time.

I agree that everything gets hot when not moving, but I'm wearing this when I'm riding, not having a picnic :D

I've heard similar too-hot comments about enclosed full face helmets yet mine ended up being comfortable when I wore it in 90-degree weather.

We'll see how this works in the summer and I can change to something else if it's an issue. But @YoshiSkySun has been riding with similar gear in very hot Southern California weather and he always tells me that it's not hot. So I'm optimistic. 

Ah, very true, we don't ride that fast.  I'm looking at the 3DF Airfit lite, but don't see a reason to buy yet as in the summer, I just ride with the different pieces instead of wearing this suit. Good for winter, wearing it under a coat.  But too cold here.  I hate riding in the cold.  

Choices, choices...

15 minutes ago, eddiemoy said:

Ah, very true, we don't ride that fast.  I'm looking at the 3DF Airfit lite, but don't see a reason to buy yet as in the summer, I just ride with the different pieces instead of wearing this suit. Good for winter, wearing it under a coat.  But too cold here.  I hate riding in the cold.  

Choices, choices...

Yeah, I think I'll be experimenting with more gear as summer rolls around.

EUC's are an expensive hobby :unsure:

I look forward to learning of whatever new motorcycle jacket you buy, Marty. I'm woefully short on gear with only flexmeters (although mostly just riding around town right now) and got lost when I tried shopping for jackets online. Different armor levels, wildly different prices for no apparent reason, some don't include armor pieces, etc.. :blink1:

1 hour ago, Glitched said:

I look forward to learning of whatever new motorcycle jacket you buy, Marty. I'm woefully short on gear with only flexmeters (although mostly just riding around town right now) and got lost when I tried shopping for jackets online. Different armor levels, wildly different prices for no apparent reason, some don't include armor pieces, etc.. :blink1:

Just look on Amazon and read the reviews. I wouldn't bother with an expensive jacket (or helmet) as it will get wrecked when you fall. Spending $300+ on a replacement each time you crash is too much for me. When you are on a motorcycle you will rarely take a tumble and speed will be higher, so cost is justified. On a EUC the lower speed means that many better value products are more than adequate. Of course, if you have the money, then by all means buy whatever you find most appealing. As with all things, the law of diminishing returns applies.

Archived