Faceplant at 18-mph, on the Tesla

22 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

I finally bought my new riding gear. They should arrive in a couple of days, just in time for the arrival of the KS18XL.

New riding gear? I just hope Marty doesn't hold Backe when riding 😊

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, RockyTop said:

Has anyone else had any problems finding wrist guards big enough?  I have wide palms. The straps are never long enough. 

Hmm, "Honey! Do these wrist guards make my hands look fat?"

25 minutes ago, Jon Stern said:

Hmm, "Honey! Do these wrist guards make my hands look fat?"

Yep ..... I am fat like Payton Manning.:D I have a quarterbacked physique.  34” waist and 48” chest......... and wide palms.   :eff0541f4a:  I should have been a professional quarterback!  :crying:

4 minutes ago, RockyTop said:

Yep ..... I am fat like Payton Manning.:D I have a quarterbacked physique.  34” waist and 48” chest......... and wide palms.   :eff0541f4a:  I should have been a professional quarterback!  :crying:

If you're built like a quarterback, maybe you don't need wristguards :eff034a94a:

9 hours ago, RockyTop said:

That gear looks great. I hope to at least get a report if not a review on it. 

I tend to use EUCs on and off all day. Usually for less than 5 minutes at a time. This makes gearing up every time less convenient. When I go out for a long trip the extra gear is no problem at all. So..... I am more likely to get hurt doing mundane chores on my EUC. 

This is the reason I opted for a MC-jacket. To minimize the inconvenience and make the process of gearing up as natural as putting on your coat and gloves. Knee pads with snap-lock, the jacket, the flexmeters, the helmet... and done!

3 hours ago, RockyTop said:

32"/44.5" here, you sir seem to have awesome proportions. No I'm not jealous at all... :whistling:

It seems it's time to start that weight training regime that I've been meaning to do for ages...

5 hours ago, Scatcat said:

32"/44.5" here, you sir seem to have awesome proportions. No I'm not jealous at all... :whistling:

It seems it's time to start that weight training regime that I've been meaning to do for ages...

With those sizes you are in the same boat I am when buying a shirt. At least in the US. If you buy a shirt with a 48" chest you get a shirt with a 54" waist. coats are even worse.  ( might just be US?) 

I am the small guy at work. I can wear the wrist guards but only about half an inch of the velcro overlaps. They frequently come undone. I have tried: triple 8, 8 ball, sk8, and they are all the same thing. (Large is too small and labeled  L,XL) I also have a pair that Jason sent with my wheel and they fit the best. (half inch velco overlap) If none of them fit me than they would only fit one of the 7 guys I work with. So I figured that some else had to have the same problem.  

45 minutes ago, RockyTop said:

With those sizes you are in the same boat I am when buying a shirt. At least in the US. If you buy a shirt with a 48" chest you get a shirt with a 54" waist. coats are even worse.  ( might just be US?) 

I am the small guy at work. I can wear the wrist guards but only about half an inch of the velcro overlaps. They frequently come undone. I have tried: triple 8, 8 ball, sk8, and they are all the same thing. (Large is too small and labeled  L,XL) I also have a pair that Jason sent with my wheel and they fit the best. (half inch velco overlap) If none of them fit me than they would only fit one of the 7 guys I work with. So I figured that some else had to have the same problem.  

My biggest problems with clothes are the fit of most jeans. When it comes to shirts I think I am under the magic limit where the cut is still reasonable. I've had a few problems with jackets that constricts around the chest, but nothing major.

I still have a paunch though, if not really a big one nowadays, without it I would have to go from 32" waist to less. In my 20s I used 29"-30" waist jeans. I would like to add some muscle in the shoulders, and maybe the lower arms. And I would like to fight my butt turning into mush, capitulating to middle age and gravitation.

I think I was 32” in the Navy. They said I looked like a shrink wrapped skeleton. They still flagged me for being 5 pounds overweight. They had me jump in a pool to see if I could float. I sank. 

I have the Scottish chest ( mostly highlander lungs) and the French long skinny body. ( so not as impressive as it might sound)

I too have the same problem with wrist guards and actually remodeled the ones Jason sent with my wheel so I could at least wear them. I finally  found a set that are actually a bit too big but I now love them as they stay on and don't cut off the blood circulation. Cheap too....

I bought these in X-Large.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009SU9UBS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 

I can wear the wrist guards but only about half an inch of the velcro overlaps. They frequently come undone. I have tried: triple 8, 8 ball, sk8, and they are all the same thing. 

This may sound obvious, but have you considered taking it to a place that does clothes alterations and ask them to adjust where the velcro is on the strap? It's a trivial thing to do yourself if you have a sewing machine. I did that with Triple8 elbow pads, where a medium was too small and I had to trim 2" off the large's velcro strap.

20 minutes ago, John Hearsey said:

I too have the same problem with wrist guards and actually remodeled the ones Jason sent with my wheel so I could at least wear them. I finally  found a set that are actually a bit too big but I now love them as they stay on and don't cut off the blood circulation. Cheap too....

I bought these in X-Large.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009SU9UBS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 

THANK YOU !!!  I just bought 3 pair.  

12 hours ago, RockyTop said:

Yeah but have you ever heard these words whispered near by? "too bad he throws like a girl" :D 

2 hours ago, Scatcat said:

My biggest problems with clothes are the fit of most jeans. When it comes to shirts I think I am under the magic limit where the cut is still reasonable. I've had a few problems with jackets that constricts around the chest, but nothing major.

I still have a paunch though, if not really a big one nowadays, without it I would have to go from 32" waist to less. In my 20s I used 29"-30" waist jeans. I would like to add some muscle in the shoulders, and maybe the lower arms. And I would like to fight my butt turning into mush, capitulating to middle age and gravitation.

Sounds like a good 2019 New Years resolution. Do, don't talk :D

It doesn't get easier with age. The key is to develop a habit. Even if you go for only 10-minutes because you're in a downer mood, go. It reinforces the habit. On average I've been going to the gym three times a week for the last 35-years and if I had any clothes from 35-years ago they would still fit perfectly.

So start. Seriously. :thumbup:

14 minutes ago, RockyTop said:

Those look nearly identical (except for the branding) to what @Jason McNeil provides with all of his wheels. You could of just bought some more wheels and you would have saved some good money :facepalm:

7 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Those look nearly identical (except for the branding) to what @Jason McNeil provides with all of his wheels. You could of just bought some more wheels and you would have saved some good money :facepalm:

Now that is funny! :laughbounce2:

By the way I found the one's that @Jason McNeil provides and they don't seem to make them beyond "large"

51ztYtlFFFL._SL1000_.jpg.1e4723ba523954ac64005cb3a275a272.jpg

But the other ones I found also come in X-Large and are slightly different.

1345574190_31UfflqIVL.jpg.2c3babbfe81a0bbd762b3afa651dc048.jpg

Anyway good to know for those with bigger paws...

15 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Sounds like a good 2019 New Years resolution. Do, don't talk :D

It doesn't get easier with age. The key is to develop a habit. Even if you go for only 10-minutes because you're in a downer mood, go. It reinforces the habit. On average I've been going to the gym three times a week for the last 35-years and if I had any clothes from 35-years ago they would still fit perfectly.

So start. Seriously. :thumbup:

Oh yes. I'm trying to create a running habit, but I think I need a weight habit too. I've noted with advancing age, that some parts of the body goes a lot less "pert", while others seem to like swelling all too much...

4 hours ago, Scatcat said:

Oh yes. I'm trying to create a running habit, but I think I need a weight habit too. I've noted with advancing age, that some parts of the body goes a lot less "pert", while others seem to like swelling all too much...

Whenever I notice myself slowing down due to age like not running up stairs skipping evey other step or choosing to take the steps down instead of just pumping off the truck dock. I try to figure out what has changed and do my best to fix it. Keeping my weigh below 220 pounds  is the biggest part. Keeping core and back muscle strong is also key. My most difficult subject is eating healthy food. I love starchy foods and hate fruit. But I find ways to balance things out. 

I think most of us already know these things but knowing and doing are two different things. I am now the second oldest in my work group at 49. I do not act the oldest. 

42 minutes ago, RockyTop said:

Whenever I notice myself slowing down due to age like not running up stairs skipping evey other step or choosing to take the steps down instead of just pumping off the truck dock. I try to figure out what has changed and do my best to fix it. Keeping my weigh below 220 pounds  is the biggest part. Keeping core and back muscle strong is also key. My most difficult subject is eating healthy food. I love starchy foods and hate fruit. But I find ways to balance things out. 

I think most of us already know these things but knowing and doing are two different things. I am now the second oldest in my work group at 49. I do not act the oldest. 

Well, I'm 52 and have always loved pizza, pasta and other "healthy" stuff all too much. But lately, like for the last two years or so, I've started to alternate vegetarian or even vegan food with the meat, chicken, and carb rich stuff.

There are some amazing products on the market now, like a vegan "cheddar", that tastes so much like the real thing I did a double take and read the small print to try to find them cheating. One of my favorite burgers are actually made of pea-protein and red beets. It has the right structure and juicyness, while not tasting like a blob of chemicals. Sure it doesn't actually taste of meat either, but it's good anyway.

Also, I have started to adapt "hara hachi bun me", the originally konfucian principle to eat until 80% full. The idea being to eat until you're no longer hungry, rather than buffet style gorging. That part is less easy, as old habits die hard, and half my life have consisted of wolfing down too much food, too late in the evening, too fast. But every bit helps and I feel a lot better if I eat less, eat earlier in the evening and eat slower.

Gosh! ...... I sure hope @Marty Backe is going to be ok after his fall. We have been waiting here eagerly hoping he would update us on a thread that he started. I don’t think I have slept in a week worrying. He just left us here to talk about all kinds of stupid stuff. It’s not he has poped  in and we ignored him.       You OK Marty? ....Have you lost your hat?

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

My new riding gear

IMG_0897-Edit

@Marty Backe the New riding gear looks awesome! How did the sizing/fit work out for the L/XL body protector & knee/shin guards that you chose? 

Archived