Faceplant at 18-mph, on the Tesla

1 hour ago, radial said:

My S.W.A.G. is that those numbers represent homicide rates in those countries.  

56 minutes ago, Nic said:

UNODC murder rates (yearly): murders per 100,000 inhabitants

Assuming an average life expectancy of 80 years, this means that in USA there is a 0.4% (1 in 250) chance of dying from murder during your lifespan.

You are both correct. If I administered prices, it would be yours. ;) 

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Nic said:

UNODC murder rates (yearly): murders per 100,000 inhabitants

Assuming an average life expectancy of 80 years, this means that in USA there is a 0.4% (1 in 250) chance of dying from murder during your lifespan.

The United States is a hell hole. I don't know why people want to live here :mellow:

When you look at the 33,000 - 40,000 death numbers it includes everything: Suicide, Cops killing bad guys, bad guys killing bad guys, good guys killing bad guys, gangs killing each other and lastly good people getting killed. I am OK with all but the last. I know people that attempted suicide with pills and the person I knew is gone. If gangs don’t kill each other they are killing good people. 

It is estimated by the CDC that guns save 100,000 - 1,000,000 lives every year but no one talks about that.  Most of the time the fear of somone having a gun stops crime.

Owning a gun is a serious responsibility and should not be taken lightly. Proper training and understanding is necessary. 

Most woman, after being trained are very good with the guns, both in responsibility and shootings skills. They tend to do as I say and not as I do. As a reward they become better marksman.  

4 minutes ago, RockyTop said:

It is estimated by the CDC that guns save 100,000 - 1,000,000 lives every year but no one talks about that.

Its included in the statistics because deaths would otherwise be even higher. If anything this is even more worrying because it shows that guns are an even greater problem than the numbers indicate. Is that lives saved from bear attacks? or from others carrying guns?

9 minutes ago, winterwheel said:

"The average person ... has basically no chance in their lifetime ever to use a gun in self-defense," he tells Here & Now's Robin Young. "But ... every day, they have a chance to use the gun inappropriately. They have a chance, they get angry. They get scared."

24 minutes ago, Nic said:

Its included in the statistics because deaths would otherwise be even higher. If anything this is even more worrying because it shows that guns are an even greater problem than the numbers indicate. Is that lives saved from bear attacks? or from others carrying guns?

From people...................

The US is multi cultural. Many people with very different ideals, beliefs and priorities. The fact that the US lets it’s people persue so many different ways of life, beliefs and activities and we get along with each other as well as we do proves that the system works. ( speak softly and carry....... ) 

If not guns, knives, if not knives rocks, if not rocks cliffs or bath tubs. My wife can stop a rapist with her gun but not a rock.

Scotland is free because of England ( irony LOL) England is free because of the US and the US is free because of the people’s right to own guns. And yes I truly believe that. 

( Just for the record I am 75% Scott and 25% French with a little Crow Indian on the Scott side)

42 minutes ago, RockyTop said:

From people...................

The US is multi cultural. Many people with very different ideals, beliefs and priorities. The fact that the US lets it’s people persue so many different ways of life, beliefs and activities and we get along with each other as well as we do proves that the system works. ( speak softly and carry....... ) 

If not guns, knives, if not knives rocks, if not rocks cliffs or bath tubs. My wife can stop a rapist with her gun but not a rock.

Scotland is free because of England ( irony LOL) England is free because of the US and the US is free because of the people’s right to own guns. And yes I truly believe that. 

( Just for the record I am 75% Scott and 25% French with a little Crow Indian on the Scott side)

You make a lot of connections that aren't factually correct and your reasoning is flawed. Maybe you should carry a bazooka plus a few grenades just in case a gun isn't enough? If that rapist is carrying a gun, then your wife may end up dead and it won't stop her from being raped. Giving up guns won't stop crime, but the crimes that are committed will be less likely to result in death. If you need some protection, then keep a baseball bat under your bed and your wife can carry some pepper spray in her handbag.

Let’s see. Europe has chatolics, evangelicals, calvinists, lutherans & orthodox christians as majority religions. Minority religions consist of muslims, buddhists, shamanists, animists, jews & free churches of a myriad different types. We’re Latin, Germanic, colored, Inuits, Slavs, Arabic, Semitic, Romani, Thai, Chinese... at my work alone we have people from Iran, Spain, Mexico and old style Swedes.

In short, Europe is a lot more diverse and heterogenic than you may believe. And still... we manage well without being able to shoot each other...

Just saying. :P

2 minutes ago, Nic said:

You make a lot of connections that aren't factually correct. Maybe you should carry a bazooka plus a few grenades just in case a gun isn't enough? If that rapist is carrying a gun, then your wife may end up dead and it won't stop her from being raped.

The local police reports say otherwise. You hide the fact that you have a gun until the right moment. The news always publicizes bad outcomes but never the good. The places in the US with the most gun control have the highest crime and murder rates. 

Look,  I made my first gun in a machine shop when I was 13 years old. (My own design without any help from anyone) It was a single shot but it shot nicely. As an adult I made an AR15 from scratch in about 90 hours. I could have done it in less time but I wanted it to be nice. The point is the bad guys are going to get or make guns. 

I have family and friends in Scotland. I know how people in other countries feel about guns. I brought a friend from Scotland to the gun range or at least tried to. He passed out in the car when he heard the gunfire. 

A few months ago I changed my avitar on this forum. Without thinking I had used my regular avatar. It is a picture of the inside of my WW2 gun safe. Some might see it as evil so I removed it.  To me the safe holds the rifle of my grandfather (M1 Garand) and the rifle of or good family friend, Wendt Von Kleist ( G43) . Both now passed away. The rifles sit side by side as a reminder of their friendship and the war they fought each other in.  ( most countries are represented in the safe)

On the gun issue I respectfully disagree and I respect your opinion. 

18 minutes ago, RockyTop said:

The local police reports say otherwise. You hide the fact that you have a gun until the right moment. The news always publicizes bad outcomes but never the good. The places in the US with the most gun control have the highest crime and murder rates. 

Look,  I made my first gun in a machine shop when I was 13 years old. (My own design without any help from anyone) It was a single shot but it shot nicely. As an adult I made an AR15 from scratch in about 90 hours. I could have done it in less time but I wanted it to be nice. The point is the bad guys are going to get or make guns. 

I have family and friends in Scotland. I know how people in other countries feel about guns. I brought a friend from Scotland to the gun range or at least tried to. He passed out in the car when he heard the gunfire. 

A few months ago I changed my avitar on this forum. Without thinking I had used my regular avatar. It is a picture of the inside of my WW2 gun safe. Some might see it as evil so I removed it.  To me the safe holds the rifle of my grandfather (M1 Garand) and the rifle of or good family friend, Wendt Von Kleist ( G43) . Both now passed away. The rifles sit side by side as a reminder of their friendship and the war they fought each other in.  ( most countries are represented in the safe)

On the gun issue I respectfully disagree and I respect your opinion. 

It appears your views are mostly because you are a gun lover and has nothing to do with protection.

18 minutes ago, Scatcat said:

Let’s see. Europe has chatolics, evangelicals, calvinists, lutherans & orthodox christians as majority religions. Minority religions consist of muslims, buddhists, shamanists, animists, jews & free churches of a myriad different types. We’re Latin, Germanic, colored, Inuits, Slavs, Arabic, Semitic, Romani, Thai, Chinese... at my work alone we have people from Iran, Spain, Mexico and old style Swedes.

In short, Europe is a lot more diverse and heterogenic than you may believe. And still... we manage well without being able to shoot each other...

Just saying. :P

In broad strokes, I thought Europe was much more secular than the United States. I'm sure there's a mixture of peoples in the various European countries including Sweden. Yet my understanding, from people who travel a lot, is that Europe is very much made of homogeneous peopled countries.

For example, your country of Sweden has a black population of ~1% vs ~12% for the United States. I suspect the other distributions are even smaller.

6 minutes ago, Nic said:

It appears your views are mostly because you are a gun lover and has nothing to do with protection.

We Americans do tend to love our guns and the right to own as many as we want. It's in our constitution don't you know :thumbup:

7 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

We Americans do tend to love our guns and the right to own as many as we want. It's in our constitution don't you know :thumbup:

Live by the gun. Die by the gun.:thumbup:

12 minutes ago, Nic said:

:roflmao:   

I believe in freedom! AND you can’t take that away.!    Live free or die.   Give me liberty or give me death.    

- A Will unbroken you can not bend-  Clann an Dramma

Ok....... I am done with the US flag waving. My apologies.  I am very proud of other countries too but don’t want to sully their reputations. 

Have a great day everyone. 

3 minutes ago, RockyTop said:

:roflmao:   

I believe in freedom! AND you can’t take that away.!    Live free or die.   Give me liberty or give me death.    

- A Will unbroken you can not bend-  Clann an Dramma

Ok....... I am done with the US flag waving. My apologies.  I am very proud of other countries too but don’t want to sully their reputations. 

Have a great day everyone. 

There is no such thing as freedom ... you know that.:efefa6edcf:

4 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

The United States is a hell hole. I don't know why people want to live here :mellow:

Ahh @Marty Backe you are just grumpy because of the pot hole from last week 😉

Right now I would love to have your weather...

But then again I am very glad I don't live the at your summer time. Any temperature above 27 Celsius put me beyond the red zone. I guess that is the curse of being Scandinavian...

I kinda like rainy weather but it really don't mix well with my new passion EUC riding. 

14 minutes ago, Unventor said:

But then again I am very glad I don't live the at your summer time. Any temperature above 27 Celsius put me beyond the red zone. I guess that is the curse of being Scandinavian...

I kinda like rainy weather but it really don't mix well with my new passion EUC riding. 

Let's shoot Marty for not going to the doctor after his faceplant with an injury where he can barely raise his arm. Other than that, can we move off of the gun topic? :w00t2: Thanks @Unventor for getting back to EUC talk. :clap3:

17 minutes ago, Unventor said:

When you have nice weather, I envy your scenic ride potential.

Guns!?  :w00t2:  I love guns!  BLAM BLAM!! gun2.gif  We don't have any mention of them in our charter... er constitution... er what do we have?  Do we have something in Canada?  Ah, doesn't matter!  I love guns!!!  :w00t2: Should I own a gun?  Prooooobably not.  :ph34r:  I'd be going full Tombraider all the time, any time!  It's so much fun!  Eh, it's probably best I stick to my Nvidia Shield TV gaming.  Yep.  :yawn:  Probabilistically speaking, of course.  :whistling:    What was this thread about again?  offtopic2.gif

1 hour ago, JerryR said:

Let's shoot Marty for not going to the doctor after his faceplant with an injury where he can barely raise his arm. Other than that, can we move off of the gun topic? :w00t2: Thanks @Unventor for getting back to EUC talk. :clap3:

Can we shoot @Elder Meat and @Dingfelder instead :confused1: They started us down this long side trail <_<

Archived