Faceplant at 18-mph, on the Tesla

Regarding nearly free healthcare everywhere in the world except the US, "there's no such thing as a free lunch".

I work for a Fortune 50 company with some of the best medical benefits available. I have no complaints. I go to doctors when I feel it's necessary. As of today, Dec 13th, I don't feel it's necessary.

Thanks for all the well wishes and advice to see a doctor. I'll stop asking for anecdotal advice here as it always leads back to "see a doctor" :)

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi  @Marty Backe - and everyone else :-)

I'm fairly new to EUC, got my first wheel apprx. 3 weeks ago - I have done my first 50 km - and I like it.

I ride with a helmet, wrist and knee protection.

Last Sunday, I entered sub forum "Riding Safety and Protective Gear " - Just to gather some inspiration before buying elbow protection - 

first post I see is Marty's 18 mph crash post, 8 minutes old... I better finish the task of buying the elbow protection.

As a new rider I appreciate everyone sharing their accidents, from a safety and learning perspective. - thank you.

- on account of reading the forums the last few days I have decided always to wear my protective gear.

Marty, I wish you a speedy recovery - and I did wonder, with all those wheels to choose from, how do you even pick one going out the door? :-)

3 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Regarding nearly free healthcare everywhere in the world except the US, "there's no such thing as a free lunch".

I work for a Fortune 50 company with some of the best medical benefits available. I have no complaints. I go to doctors when I feel it's necessary. As of today, Dec 13th, I don't feel it's necessary.

Thanks for all the well wishes and advice to see a doctor. I'll stop asking for anecdotal advice here as it always leads back to "see a doctor" :)

Unless you're the lunch...

Actually @Marty Backe, if you should listen to the holler about seeking a doctor depends a bit on your personality.

Some people (a lot of us) would go try to sleep off a coronation, stroke or pneumonia just out of sheer stubbornness, while others know their bodies well enough to rather accurately know when it is time to bite the sour lemon and just go see the bloody doctor. Humorously enough a lot of the former are men, while a lot of the latter are women. ;) 

So if your missus tilts her head and looks at you THAT way, saying: "Maybe you should go see the doctor?", she might really be on to something. If OTOH she's cool with you letting it lay, odds are it is truly cool to not go.

And yeah, that is a generalization, but one I've personally found to be horrifyingly accurate. I know I listen to my missus when it comes to such matters, if for no other reason because it is generally cheaper even if it would cost me a months salary or more.... :whistling:

I'm not saying women in general are smarter when it comes to such matters, or, well, I suppose I did...

3 hours ago, mkosterlund said:

Hi  @Marty Backe - and everyone else :-)

I'm fairly new to EUC, got my first wheel apprx. 3 weeks ago - I have done my first 50 km - and I like it.

I ride with a helmet, wrist and knee protection.

Last Sunday, I entered sub forum "Riding Safety and Protective Gear " - Just to gather some inspiration before buying elbow protection - 

first post I see is Marty's 18 mph crash post, 8 minutes old... I better finish the task of buying the elbow protection.

As a new rider I appreciate everyone sharing their accidents, from a safety and learning perspective. - thank you.

- on account of reading the forums the last few days I have decided always to wear my protective gear.

Marty, I wish you a speedy recovery - and I did wonder, with all those wheels to choose from, how do you even pick one going out the door? :-)

You can't go wrong with taking a default position of always wearing gear. I'm sure you'll deviate from that periodically, but that's a great attitude.

Glad that you've joined the EUC club. Here's hoping for many kilometers and hours of fun times for you down the one-wheeled road :cheers:

8 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

This is me.  People claiming that their health care is "free" are apparently unaware that their governments are picking their pockets through higher taxes.  Health care costs money and money doesn't grow on trees.  I also have terrific basic health benefits, and I pay more for an overlay of boutique medical care just to make sure my providers are competent and responsive.  All the same, I don't see the point of seeking medical care if you aren't pretty sure you need it.  'If it ain't broke, don't fix it' is a mantra I've learned to live by.  

14 hours ago, Smoother said:

Don't start the medical cost discussion again.  The yanks are fiercely proud of their system.  FYI.  I find YOUR costs shockingly high.  The most that accident would cost here in the UK is £8.40 per month per prescription medication. ZERO for everything else. ;)

I had to chime in. Sorry @Marty Backe.

The out of pocket expense for my surgery was only $2500. My insurance paid  $67,000. I feel my insurance adequately and favorably protected me. :)

I don't think we (who mention free to nearly free healthcare) are trying to say we're better off than you or have a better system than you when we speak of "free health care."  It's just that we don't pay a fee for it at the time of service.  Sure we pay oodles and oodles of taxes, but we also get "free" police and fire services.  Free snow removal from major streets.  I'm sure you have "free" police and fire too, but taxes cover that.  Medical care just happens to be under those sorts of vital services for us.  The US has MRI's on every street corner I hear, and that's great.  We have huge wait lists to get one due to their rarity.  Lots of Canadians suffer from delayed treatment as a result.  It's not a perfect system for sure, and that's a debate for a different thread.

Am I happy that I don't have to pay directly for most basic health care?  Yep.  Just like you're happy you don't have to pay the police directly when they come to stop that robber for you.  But now imagine if you have a $3000 police services deductible where you have to pay directly upfront until you've met your deductible before police services are covered... would you think twice about calling the police when you see an intruder roaming your neighbourhood, or would you wait to see if they don't break into your house first in order to save some money?  I only call the police if I really have to even though it's "free."  If I had to pay a fee up front I'd probably still only call if I had to, but I would anyways in those just in case situations. So sure by all means don't see a doctor if you don't have to and if you're certain that you're qualified enough to make that decision.

We're just expressing our concerns for a fellow rider who we generally like.  If we didn't care, we'd say screw it. wallbash.gif Do whatever the heck you want.  Let that gangrene set in :barf:.  Sometimes scientific peer reviewed studies aren't always the be all and end all.  Other times some anecdotal evidence and experience can play just as an important role in decision making.  On the flip side, I'm sure Marty has enough reminders coming from Mrs. Marty so likely all the extra prodding and nagging from us forum members isn't helping!  Add to that the lack of getting out to ride, and I can see how it can be very irritating to see us bother him constantly.  :whistling:  I know I was more than a bit peeved and irritable that I couldn't ride after my accident.  :furious:  :crying:

1 hour ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

I don't think we (who mention free to nearly free healthcare) are trying to say we're better off than you or have a better system than you when we speak of "free health care."  It's just that we don't pay a fee for it at the time of service.  Sure we pay oodles and oodles of taxes, but we also get "free" police and fire services.  Free snow removal from major streets.  I'm sure you have "free" police and fire too, but taxes cover that.  Medical care just happens to be under those sorts of vital services for us.  The US has MRI's on every street corner I hear, and that's great.  We have huge wait lists to get one due to their rarity.  Lots of Canadians suffer from delayed treatment as a result.  It's not a perfect system for sure, and that's a debate for a different thread.

Am I happy that I don't have to pay directly for most basic health care?  Yep.  Just like you're happy you don't have to pay the police directly when they come to stop that robber for you.  But now imagine if you have a $3000 police services deductible where you have to pay directly upfront until you've met your deductible before police services are covered... would you think twice about calling the police when you see an intruder roaming your neighbourhood, or would you wait to see if they don't break into your house first in order to save some money?  I only call the police if I really have to even though it's "free."  If I had to pay a fee up front I'd probably still only call if I had to, but I would anyways in those just in case situations. So sure by all means don't see a doctor if you don't have to and if you're certain that you're qualified enough to make that decision.

We're just expressing our concerns for a fellow rider who we generally like.  If we didn't care, we'd say screw it. wallbash.gif Do whatever the heck you want.  Let that gangrene set in :barf:.  Sometimes scientific peer reviewed studies aren't always the be all and end all.  Other times some anecdotal evidence and experience can play just as an important role in decision making.  On the flip side, I'm sure Marty has enough reminders coming from Mrs. Marty so likely all the extra prodding and nagging from us forum members isn't helping!  Add to that the lack of getting out to ride, and I can see how it can be very irritating to see us bother him constantly.  :whistling:  I know I was more than a bit peeved and irritable that I couldn't ride after my accident.  :furious:  :crying:

Regarding the police and a large deductible, I would have no trouble with that. Remember, this is the United States where we all have the God given right to own a closet full of guns and blow off the head of any intruder into our home.  This 2nd amendment lover laughs at that deductible :D

Gangrene? :blink1: Thanks for adding that to my go-to-the-doctor/don't-go-to-the-doctor worries :efee8c29ce: 

:lol:  Just kidding about the gangrene.  Oh oh let’s not fuel the embers with gun talk!  :blink:  How about something less inflammatory like politics?  Now Canada wants to tick off China by arresting some Huawei exec and extraditing her :facepalm: .

In any case, I’m confident that you’ll make the best choice for your situation.  We each make our own beds in the end.  I’m still drawing some blanks on how to Photoshop that mega arm bruise... but I’m sure to come up with something!  :w00t2:

7 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Regarding the police and a large deductible, I would have no trouble with that. Remember, this is the United States where we all have the God given right to own a closet full of guns and blow off the head of any intruder into our home.  This 2nd amendment lover laughs at that deductible :D

Gangrene? :blink1: Thanks for adding that to my go-to-the-doctor/don't-go-to-the-doctor worries :efee8c29ce: 

3 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

:lol:  Just kidding about the gangrene.  Oh oh let’s not fuel the embers with gun talk!  :blink:  How about something less inflammatory like politics?  Now Canada wants to tick off China by arresting some Huawei exec and extraditing her :facepalm: .

In any case, I’m confident that you’ll make the best choice for your situation.  We each make our own beds in the end.  I’m still drawing some blanks on how to Photoshop that mega arm bruise... but I’m sure to come up with something!  :w00t2:

I am amazed. Three posts and now before we know it, we can have people shouting at each other about free health-care, guns and Chinese execs.

Wait a second...:popcorn:, oh there they were!  Now don't mind me, I'm just sitting here munching pop corn...

2 hours ago, Scatcat said:

I am amazed. Three posts and now before we know it, we can have people shouting at each other about free health-care, guns and Chinese execs.

Wait a second...:popcorn:, oh there they were!  Now don't mind me, I'm just sitting here munching pop corn...

:laughbounce2:

12 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

I wouldn't worry too much about it @Marty Backe. It is just an arm and maybe a shoulder. Not essential for riding. If it had been a foot or a leg....I would consider to fight my FB-allergy and start a collection to raise funds for your taxi to the doc.

Ohh and as for vlogs...You can always get a drone if you don't have the arm to hold the selphystick...just an idea...Or just have to do more group rides an deligate the recording to others.

You see I work with customer support, I focus on solutions not a petty problem..yes I said the P word...😁 

For the record how do you to dust off a 10+ year non-activ FB account? Please @Marty Backe don't make me do it 😇

All jokes aside though. I am hoping you show an update on Monday of how cool colours your arm/shoulder have by then...It is almost like waiting to open a Christmas calendar. It happen from time to time I got to my accident album of photo just to laugh at how funny my buttocks look with daily colour change/healing process.  And of course servers as reminder, respect speed.

2 minutes ago, Unventor said:

I wouldn't worry too much about it @Marty Backe. It is just an arm and maybe a shoulder. Not essential for riding. If it had been a foot or a leg....I would consider to fight my FB-allergy and start a collection to raise funds for your taxi to the doc.

Ohh and as for vlogs...You can always get a drone if you don't have the arm to hold the selphystick...just an idea...Or just have to do more group rides an deligate the recording to others.

You see I work with customer support, I focus on solutions not a petty problem..yes I said the P word...😁 

For the record how do you to dust off a 10+ non-activ FB account? Please @Marty Backe don't make me do it 😇

All jokes aside though. I am hoping you show an update on Monday of how cool colours your arm/shoulder have by then...It is almost like waiting to open a Christmas calendar. It happen from time to time I got to my accident album of photo just to laugh at how funny my buttocks look with daily colour change/healing process.  And of course servers as reminder, respect speed.

You're killing me :roflmao:

4 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

You're killing me :roflmao:

Nono it wasn't me..It was @Hunka Hunka Burning Love that bought up the gangrene...

I didn't get it, if I had how would I do my office job with a half amputated buttock...

25 minutes ago, Joker10 said:

After reading your thoughts on free healthcare and the second amendment, I realize we have more in common than EUCs Marty.  :thumbup: I had assumed since you lived in California...

California has about 40-million people. Somewhere in the neighborhood of 30-percent is the number of conservatives - 12-million people. That's a sizable chunk. We live in the shadows though, otherwise we would be abused, cars keyed, etc. I joke not.

3 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

I think it's about time for a cool octopus faceplant tattoo!  :w00t2:

LahljyD.jpg

@Marty Backe aka the one wheel road pirate...It has a very nice ring to it.

2 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Now don’t make me bring religion into this thread, because God knows what would happen then!  :efef585a74:

<crickets crickets>

It would properly blow up and takes us the the dark side of the moon 🚀🛰

21 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

I think it's about time for a cool octopus faceplant tattoo!  :w00t2:

LahljyD.jpg

I must say, very well done! Love the words too:D

:cheers:

First ride in 6-days. Yea!

I couldn't resist any longer. Took the MCM5 for a 2-mile ride to one of my favorite sandwich shops to buy lunch. 2-miles back. No accidents :efefc8626c:

Although it would have been very bad if I took another fall, given the condition of my arm and shoulder, I figured that I've never had a cutout yet, so the odds were in my favor. Just ride on the slow side, and cautiously.

I don't know how some of you guys have gone weeks and weeks without riding.

Archived