Faceplant at 18-mph, on the Tesla

1 hour ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

I think it's about time for a cool octopus faceplant tattoo!  :w00t2:

LahljyD.jpg

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

I must say, very well done! Love the words too:D

:cheers:

Nice.... so @Marty Backe gets a nice tattoo on his colorful arm and I got a bra. That’s the last time I get into an accident and post a boob shot. :P

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

Nice.... so @Marty Backe gets a nice tattoo on his colorful arm and I got a bra. That’s the last time I get into an accident and post a boob shot. :P

Marty's wise enough to cover up them nips!  :lol:  What goes up on the internet stays up on the internet!  :ph34r:  I should give up my day job and do amateur tattoos if this Photoshop gig doesn't pan out! :w00t2:

hqdefault.jpg

42 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

:roflmao: You literally made me start laughing out loud :D

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

I don't know how some of you guys have gone weeks and weeks without riding.

For some people it's now cold and humid and windy and rainy and frosty and icy and shitty:eff0541f4a:

2 months exactly for me. 14th October. Not counting wistful minutes on my balcony every few days:efee8c29ce: Those railings are surprisingly low when you stand on some elevated pedals.

Winter madness is a real thing. I recall it getting to Hunka last winter...

I'm just waiting for real winter (good weather and dry snow) if it ever comes, some fun riding then. But now... not pleasant... one can only cope and hope:efeeab781c:

At least one cannot faceplant when not riding😋

47 minutes ago, K-Rider said:

Marty - I have been following your story and I am glad you are back on the road!

I just started riding a few months ago and I’ve learned a lot from this forum on safety and what to look out for. 

Happy Holidays to ALL! Ride safe!

Thanks :) I've learned a lot from this from, including safety practices. I encourage people to report their accidents, big and small. I think we all learn something and the reports remind us of our vulnerabilities. Helps to keep us from becoming complacent.

Merry Christmas to you too :thumbup:

2 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Winter madness is a real thing. I recall it getting to Hunka last winter...

No, no, I'm just like that all the time so it's difficult to tell.  :ph34r:  But there was that one time that I got particularly crazy.  :wacko:  There's something mentally therapeutic about riding around on one wheel enjoying the speed and scenery and getting away from the day to day stresses of life.  It's so liberating!  I'm used to it now, but for a while there was a very strong addiction that urged me back to it whenever I had a chance!  It must be the dopamine and serotonin working their magic.  :wub:

6 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

I think it's about time for a cool octopus faceplant tattoo!  :w00t2:

LahljyD.jpg

Cool Kraken tattoo or not, I think that is only a moderate (at best) attempt at a bruise... I'm sure you can do better @Marty Backe - you just need to try harder!

2 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

:wacko:  There's something mentally therapeutic about riding around on one wheel enjoying the speed and scenery and getting away from the day to day stresses of life.  It's so liberating!  

ABSOLUTELY!!!   

On 12/14/2018 at 5:28 PM, The Fat Unicyclist said:

Cool Kraken tattoo or not, I think that is only a moderate (at best) attempt at a bruise... I'm sure you can do better @Marty Backe - you just need to try harder!

... by riding a hoverboard!  :D  We all know it's impossible to out bruise a Kiwi so don't even try!  Besides, that's not a bruise - THIS is a bruise!  :w00t2: (Photo courtesy of the King of the bruises, @The Fat Unicyclist).  I'm surprised he still has that arm.  But more surprised that he left it so long before getting treatment!  Geez if you really wanted an arm black-out tattoo you could have just asked me to do it!  :w00t2:

20151116_181907

3 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

... by riding a hoverboard!  :D  We all know it's impossible to out bruise a Kiwi so don't even try!  Besides, that's not a bruise - THIS is a bruise!  :w00t2: (Photo courtesy of the King of the bruises, @The Fat Unicyclist).  I'm surprised he still has that arm.  But more surprised that he left it so long before getting treatment!

20151116_181907

You win!

On 12/13/2018 at 10:16 PM, Marty Backe said:

Regarding the police and a large deductible, I would have no trouble with that. Remember, this is the United States where we all have the God given right to own a closet full of guns and blow off the head of any intruder into our home.  This 2nd amendment lover laughs at that deductible :D

Gangrene? :blink1: Thanks for adding that to my go-to-the-doctor/don't-go-to-the-doctor worries :efee8c29ce: 

No.

Having a gun makes you much, much, much more liable, not less.

It may make you much, much, much less dead, so ... there's your trade-off.  

I remember reading that the average defense costs of a justified self-defense shooting was something like $170,000.00.  Could be off significantly, this is just from memory, but it does go to illustrate a point, regardless.  

Gun ownership may work, but it doesn't eliminate problems whatsoever.  It just changes problems from one to another(s).

This post probably reads as remorselessly/idiotically tedious, but so do posts that imply gun ownership solves problems easily or trivially, or enables people to act irresponsibly with impunity.  Maybe that was the way 150 years ago in Ye Olde Weste, when nobody was even in the vicinity to be able to tell the difference, but that isn't remotely near the case in modern society.  If you shoot someone today, right or wrong, you are in the middle of a legal nightmare and I sure hope you can afford it.

And that's just on the relatively trivial aspect of money.  So many more things are much worse.

On 12/13/2018 at 3:35 AM, Smoother said:

Don't start the medical cost discussion again.  The yanks are fiercely proud of their system.  FYI.  I find YOUR costs shockingly high.  The most that accident would cost here in the UK is £8.40 per month per prescription medication. ZERO for everything else. ;)

In America it would have been another statistic going toward medical expenses being the leading cost of bankruptcy ... if not death itself.

5 hours ago, Dingfelder said:

If you shoot someone today, right or wrong, you are in the middle of a legal nightmare and I sure hope you can afford it.

Absolutely.  If you keep a firearm with the expectation that you might ever need to use it in self-defense, you better buy enough insurance to cover the associated legal expenses.  There are a couple of other good options, but I use CCW Safe.  

I love guns but I don't think they work well in most defense situation as they are entirely offense-oriented. Body armour is an example of an entirely defensive item.

Pretty much all the situations I see is the criminal ambushes the CCW, and then the CCW tries to counter ambush the criminal. Often the criminal starts shooting or stabbing during the initial ambush, which to me make sense as doing so precludes a counter ambush.

In other words, the criminal who ambushes you and DOES NOT kill you right away has some concern for your well-being, and it's this criminal who you might be able to counter ambush with your gun.

Ironically, by being a CCW, you make it more, not less, likely the criminal will just blow you away during the initial ambush so he doesn't run the risk of the counter ambush.

Of course, as a very alert CCW you can just look at everything at potential threats, but that's no way to live a civilized life. I noticed St Louis was getting so rough that I was always on alert in public spaces.

7 hours ago, Dingfelder said:

I remember reading that the average defense costs of a justified self-defense shooting was something like $170,000.00.  

It depends on the state. I have heard of several recent self defense cases that never even go to court. Example: ex-boyfriend  calls ex-girlfriend and tells her he is on his way over to kill her new boyfriend. She calls the cops. The guy pull into her driveway and starts up the walkway with a gun. Her new boyfriend shoots him dead from a window before he takes two steps. No arrests made. ( local report to years ago)

Gun ownership may work, but it doesn't eliminate problems whatsoever.  It just changes problems from one to another(s).

I am not breaking into that house. They probably have a gun.  (Problem eliminate)

No.

Having a gun makes you much, much, much more liable, not less.

It may make you much, much, much less dead, so ... there's your trade-off.  

I remember reading that the average defense costs of a justified self-defense shooting was something like $170,000.00.  Could be off significantly, this is just from memory, but it does go to illustrate a point, regardless.  

This post probably reads as remorselessly/idiotically tedious, but so do posts that imply gun ownership solves problems easily or trivially, or enables people to act irresponsibly with impunity.  Maybe that was the way 150 years ago in Ye Olde Weste, when nobody was even in the vicinity to be able to tell the difference, but that isn't remotely near the case in modern society.  If you shoot someone today, right or wrong, you are in the middle of a legal nightmare and I sure hope you can afford it.

And that's just on the relatively trivial aspect of money.  So many more things are much worse.

When facing a tough situation as a home break-in while you are in the home, I'll choose Life every time regardless of the repercussions. The police are always 10-minutes away.

1 minute ago, Marty Backe said:

The police are always 10-minutes away.

If you're lucky.  I once reported a shotgun blast through one of my windows in Houston and it took the cops 30 minutes to arrive.  I'm with you.  I'd rather be alive to face charges than dead.  Besides, in Texas at least, if the grand jury sees it your way (and if it really was self defense, they should do) it wont go to trial.

Archived