Raphax

Tips, Excellent rim tape and padding for safety (and looks!)

42 minutes ago, Raphax said:

A few weeks ago, I was fortunate to discover the world of electric unicycles. I stumbled upon it as I was researching different e-scooters options that could relevant as a practical commuting device in Manhattan. My research led me to the following conclusion: no e-scooter, or e-skate comes close to the performance, range, compact size as an EUC. The problem was, I didn't know anyone who's even tried an electric unicycle and maybe saw once a rider quickly zipping through Broadway street, standing magically tall on a fast spinning wheel. 

Fortunately, I stumbled upon this forum and after combing through the invaluable info, I finally purchased my first wheel from the outstanding Jason at eWheels who had it at my house the next day: A King Song K14S. 

As I've learned a lot from this forum, I wanted to share some tips in the hope that something will find them useful. 

Getting on the wheel -  Learning to be stable on a wheel doesn't take more than a few days but in my short experience, requires two important things: excellent video tutorials (my favorite are from the French "tuto de la semaines" - Hirsute) and a friend with a wheel who can take your hand for an hour. The latter I still couldn't find but I was fortunate to find myself in Paris for a few days and subscribed to a lesson (electric wheels are much more popular in France than in the US). 

Padding the wheel -  The first few days, I would, of course, fall a lot. I've read some tips about padding but actually found what I think worked best for me: 

- Foam strips with adhesive, high density isolation: Available in different sizes and thickness
- Hyper-reflective RIM tape by CustomTaylor33: I've rarely on Amazon seen such a highly rated product from a small business. I actually reached out to Taylor who sent me the custom pieces the next day. As you can see, these are indeed very reflective. 
- I also added a vinyl film but I'm actually not sure it's necessary. 

Padding ourselves - One item that I would recommend for winter riders is a pair of gloves with integrated (and removable) wrist guards. I've only found a product from DaKine

Upgrading the wheel -  As many of you already found out, the XL Pedals that Jason masterfully commissioned are a game changer for using the wheel. It used to feel like standing on a stool with the smaller pedals. Now it reminds me of seating the large leather seat of an SUV.  

Thank you for all your help and support. 

Raphael

Nice commentary :cheers:

Wow, you put the new 18L pedals on the 14S. I know you are super new, so maybe I shouldn't ask (you have no reference point), but the large pedals haven't gotten in the way, in terms of pedal scraping, tight turns, etc.?

Can you talk about those additional LED lights that you put on the wheel?

Edited by Marty Backe

Hi Marty - I've actually scratched them within minutes as I was going down curbs not realizing that the pedals were much larger than before...

Otherwise, didn't have any issue with pedal scraping during tight turns (as tight as I can make them...). The other thing that was noticable was that the grip tape is so effective that I couldn't slide my feet on the pedals anymore! To change positions, I actually had to lift my feet off of the pedal. That's a great sign IMO!

These are actually not LED lights but the amazing reflective tape from customTaylor33. I took the picture with a flash to show what they would like when reflecting the light of an incoming car.

Edited by Raphax

I too am still learning and recently removed the extra padding from my KS14s which helped a lot to reduce the scratches.

I have not upgraded the pedals yet but am getting more and more tempted as I hear from those who have...

IMG_0308.thumb.JPG.5f4d1a2d9d75befaad904f564781061d.JPG

@Raphax welcome! All the local NYC socials are on my sig on desktop FYI.

@Marty Backe he could shave down the lower pedal arms so the case and pedals are higher. Thinking of doing this on my KS-18S so that I can accommodate an MSX CYT tire, as some Russian riders have shown me, done on their 18S's.

Good info, thanks. And hi!

1 hour ago, Raphax said:

Padding ourselves - One item that I would recommend for winter riders is a pair of gloves with integrated (and removable) wrist guards. I've only found a product from DaKine

A very important thing in wrist protection on EUCs is a hard plastic slide plate that will allow your hands to slide forwards instead of ramming the arm into your shoulder on impact. The gloves don't seem to have that (and I don't know of any that have). I recommend you get "real" wrist guards with such a plastic part.

Thanks @meepmeepmayer, in fact these are the only ones I could find with plastic slide plates both on top of and under the palm. Hopefully, that's what you're referring to. 

Nothing to be seen in the photos. Maybe it has plastic on both sides to stop your wrist from bending, but I see no slide plate on the underside. Literally so your palms slide along the ground on the plastic in a fall.

The one with the big F on the right.

272571.jpg?width=500&pad=0,0&bg-color=ff

Or like seen here: https://www.amazon.com/Triple-8-Saver-Series-Wristsavers/dp/B0042WSJU0

I think these are very important. People here had crashes with no further injuries (due to gear) except shoulder damage from when the impact travelled up the arm. Sliding along the ground instead of the hands being stopped abruptly can make a big difference.

23 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Nothing to be seen in the photos. Maybe it has plastic on both sides to stop your wrist from bending, but I see no slide plate on the underside. Literally so your palms slide along the ground on the plastic in a fall.

The one with the big F on the right.

272571.jpg?width=500&pad=0,0&bg-color=ff

Or like seen here: https://www.amazon.com/Triple-8-Saver-Series-Wristsavers/dp/B0042WSJU0

I think these are very important. People here had crashes with no further injuries (due to gear) except shoulder damage from when the impact travelled up the arm. Sliding along the ground instead of the hands being stopped abruptly can make a big difference.

These Flexmeters are the best and what I use for all of my 'serious' riding. I'm a little confused about your commentary, but just to clarify: the picture on the left is the top view and the picture on the right is the same wristguard, but viewed from the palm side.

20 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

I'm a little confused about your commentary

Confused about what? The thing you clarified?

@Raphax The Demon Flexmeters are great (I own a pair), but can be a bit cumbersome, especially if you're trying to wear them over bulky winter coats, or like to film yourself riding (holding camera poles).

The esk8 guys here in NYC prefer FLATLAND|3D gloves, that have the moto-tech slide plates built-in to the palms, because they don't hinder as much holding things like esk8 remotes, poles, etc, when compared to full-blown wrist guards.

Albeit they don't have the full length wrist plastic, or over-the-hand protection like the Flexmeters, but it's a calculated tradeoff, as, while all riders fall differently, most will plant their out-stretched palms to pavement.

That said, might finally get myself a pair of these for Xmas :D

Edited by houseofjob

On 12/7/2018 at 11:20 PM, Raphax said:

@houseofjob The Flatland 3d gloves look great, will order a pair, thank you! 

Also, just found these if you want a fully-gloved equivalent complete with the same scaphoid / palm sliders, and finger/knuckle sliders as well: Knox Orsa Leather MK2 gloves

On 12/7/2018 at 6:37 PM, Flyboy10 said:
On 12/7/2018 at 4:35 PM, John Hearsey said:

IMG_0308.thumb.JPG.5f4d1a2d9d75befaad904f564781061d.JPG

@John Hearseyout of curiosity, what is you unicycle resting on?

I just used a sheet of plexiglass that I bent with a heat gun.