OK, here goes a post on a relevant topic for new riders (but perhaps, equally relevant for experienced ones), that's meant basically to be a "glossary" of threads concerning the uses, benefits, disadvantages, alternatives, etc., of using a leash/strap/whatever you want to call it.

Personally, I discovered the concept of using a leash in this forum; it helped me prevent damage to my wheel while learning, but also caused an injury and nearly caused a few others, so I've seen both sides of the coin. For the sake of anyone interested in the subject, here goes a glossary of threads that explore the subject, including a wide array of opinions from every possible perspective. I've linked main threads where the subject is discussed, and offer a short description of the subjects covered in each one of them.

How long did you keep on using the belt?

3 pages. Length of time worth using one. Value in terms of preventing the risk of runaway wheels to others (wheel getting away and causing damage to people/property/causing accidents), preventing one's wheel from falling into water, risk of accidentally hitting the kill switch with the leash on wheels with anti-spin buttons/sensors, leash & kill switch tests on Inmotion wheels, upsides and downsides of using a leash, how to use the strap, where to tie it (hold it or tie it to self/belt), etc.

Who Uses a Safety Strap?

1 page. First page includes a survey (only 25 people have taken it. More people should, it would be more representative of the community at large). Followed by a discussion of how long riders used a strap, the difference between a learning strap and safety strap, the risks of being dragged by the leash, where and how to attach the strap, wheels escaping and causing damage/injury to others (or property), preventing one's wheel from falling into water, etc.

Tethering your wheel to your leg

2 pages. Dangers, advantages & alternatives (rider safety and that of pedestrians/bystanders) to leashes. Discussion on manufacturer-implemented safety options and DIY alternatives.

Practicing with the V10F - what not to do

1 page. Advantage in terms of avoiding scratches/damage to wheel, risk of hitting kill switch and accidentally causing buttplants, possibility of disabling the kill switch from the app, at what speed the kill switch deactivates when moving, use of a retractable dog leash, etc.

Kingsong 16" leash/strap?

3 comments. Purpose of using a leash, safety of others, handle sturdiness in terms of leash, etc.

Hope this comes in handy. Feel free to add any additional threads or comments. The more info, the better for all! :)

Edited by travsformation
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

• 3 years later...

Just in case readers didn’t notice, the thread was started in 2018. Using a strap/leash/belt/rope has faded off pretty well during these years, probably since the inhibiting factor to one’s learning is now better understood.

Edited by mrelwood
  • Like 1

On 4/15/2022 at 3:49 PM, WEWHEEL said:

Here I make a case on the relevance of tethering your wheel in urban settings.  It's not just about rider safety.  In fact, it's more about public safety and rider liability....

http://wewheel.io/the-case-for-tethering-your-euc/

Over the years, electric unicycles have become much safer and there is no point in attaching yourself to an euc using a leash/strap/tether. Electric unicycle is in no way more dangerous than other personal mobility equipment. I have an electric scooter, an electric skateboard, an electric bike, and an electric unicycle. Should I connect them all to myself? Should all renters of these devices do this? I don't think so.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

@mrelwood :  Simply trying to respect the thread concept on the forum and I chose to respond to an existing thread instead of starting a 'new' thread on a pre-existing topic with the belief this will be a topic our community will need to consider on an ongoing basis as safety is a constant and ongoing subject we riders discuss.

The sport is maturing and EUCs are increasing in performance. However, @Wolverine I do not agree product safety maturity has kept pace with product performance maturity.  Riders have demanded more performance and manufacturers are obliging with the net result of faster and heavier wheels.  Safety is mostly left to the discretion and personal preference of individual riders (with plenty of input from the community in many cases). 

The blog post was made with this perspective, to promote the idea of riding responsibly, and with the hope and expectation the riding community act as stewards for this interesting and burgeoning sport.  Appreciate the feedback!