Jump to content
Lutalo

NEW LARGER KS FOOT PLATFORMS ADDED TO THE 18L

Recommended Posts

On 12/9/2018 at 12:28 AM, phatmike said:

I did 20km to test the new pedals. Great general inprouvement. More stability and more confort. They look beautiful too.

997C699F-597C-4795-BF63-F6E29225ECBB.jpeg

I like that sticker dude ūüėČūüĎć

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/9/2018 at 3:14 PM, Duf said:

Loving my pedal upgrade too!

Yes sir. I am loving the stability and just the general feel of greater control that I have. I get the urge to¬†go out and do some wheel tricking, but the fear of getting ugly white scrapes on my brand new foot platforms usually overrides that surge of urge.¬†:efee8319ab:ūüĎć

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does anyone have information on how to take the tension out of the pedal mechanism.  I saw a post mentioning to flatten the tension spring. Curious if anyone had tried.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Deamon65 said:

Does anyone have information on how to take the tension out of the pedal mechanism.  I saw a post mentioning to flatten the tension spring. Curious if anyone had tried.

Flattening a bit the tension spring helps. Also, lubricant where the metal rubs metal. Over time, it wears down enough to loosen a bit if you have the patience to live with it until then.

The lubricant of course inhibits the wear. Personally, I discovered that I preferred the wear so I removed the lubricant because the high swivel resistance didn't bother me that much in the first place. 

My KS18AYs are a couple of years old now and the platforms have very little swivel tension from wear over time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, EUniCycles.eu said:

KS14D_comp.jpg

KS16S_comp.jpg

KS18L_comp.jpg

Das whazzup!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/11/2018 at 12:02 PM, Lutalo said:

YesÔĽŅ sir. I am loving thÔĽŅe stability and just the general feel of greater control that I haÔĽŅvÔĽŅeÔĽŅ.

Just returned from a 1 hr+ ride with the new pedals!

 

Wow. 

 

The ride seems significantly more stable and controlled. 

 

Additionally I felt less foot fatigue. Even more so I’ve noticed less impact on the knees due to ability to bend more easily now. 

 

This is is a solid upgrade. 

 

Makes me wonder why pedals weren’t this big in the first place

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Siggy said:

Just returned from a 1 hr+ ride with the new pedals!

 

Wow. 

 

The ride seems significantly more stable and controlled. 

 

Additionally I felt less foot fatigue. Even more so I’ve noticed less impact on the knees due to ability to bend more easily now. 

 

This is is a solid upgrade. 

 

Makes me wonder why pedals weren’t this big in the first place

Dude! I told you that you would love them. Glad you got them. My son will be in France starting in January. Maybe you guys will get a chance to ride together soon. He is planning a trip to London perhaps in Feb ūüėäūüĎć

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/13/2018 at 10:19 AM, EUniCycles.eu said:

KS14D_comp.jpg

KS16S_comp.jpg

KS18L_comp.jpg

How are the big pedals on the ks16?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Roadrunner said:

How are the big pedals on the ks16?

The new foot platforms really kicks the appearance of all Kingsong wheels up a notch. These wheels in the photos look great with the new plats.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry to necro an old thread, but my pedals just came in. Installed em and its like a dream. As a beginner, the difference is night and day. Before i installed them i did a little ride around on the old ones. Felt like normal. Still pretty uncomfortable for me as a beginner. But i can ride em. Installed the new ones, went for a spin. I noticed the difference the moment i put my foot on the pedal. And then mounting, its like there was control i didnt have before. Something i think advanced riders could just overcome and compensate for naturally, but for me learning, i wasnt there yet. I feel like i skipped skill levels with these. My overall confidence skyrocketed. My brain was like "Ok, this is safe" and my body responded accordingly. Possibly not having my toes literally hanging off the front of the wheel helps in feeling comfortable that a bump isn't gonna bounce me off or a dip would pour me into the street for the wheel to then run me over. Just being able to apply pressure and pull power and control from the front of my foot as well as the back was an immediate game changer for me. I know when I ride longboards my control is shifting from the ball of my ffoot with a little help from my toes, to my heels. On the wheel, the ball of my foot was almost off the pedal and the heel was on it. So anything to do with breaking or even comfortably going backwards for a split second before remembering that i dont want this yet, lol, felt FAR more stable than accelerating and going forward. Especially on sidewalks.

Overall, super happy about getting these! Im glad i listened to everyones advice. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@seage No worries about necroing an old thread. I am glad to see that this topic still has life. congrats on the new foot platforms . I have them on both my 18L and XL. They do make a big difference even for experienced riders: the enhanced feeling of control, and the substantially higher levels of comfort. In the future, any Kingsong wheel that I own will have these FPs or some like them. 

Edited by Lutalo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Lutalo said:

@seage No worries about necroing an old thread. I am glad to see that this topic still has life. congrats on the new foot platforms . I have them on both my 18L and XL. They do make a big difference even for experienced riders: the enhanced feeling of control, and the substantially higher levels of comfort. In the future, any Kingsong wheel that I own will have these FPs or some like them. 

I wish I could get something like these for my MSX too. Those extra half inches in length and width would feel most welcome on long rides for pure comfort and control.

That's what she said, or something ;) 

Edited by Scatcat

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Scatcat said:

I wish I could get something like these for my MSX too. Those extra half inches in length and width would feel most welcome on long rides for pure comfort and control.

That's what she said, or something ;) 

Ive never done a long ride yet, but as my legs were injured for over a month, my legs are PRETTY underpowered atm. Haha. Going to take a while to get them back up to strength. And even with that, foot fatigue was super light and solved with a little shifting, which i couldnt even do before, haha. And i felt more stable, so my legs did far less work. Such a joy. 

 

 

10 hours ago, Lutalo said:

@seage No worries about necroing an old thread. I am glad to see that this topic still has life. congrats on the new foot platforms . I have them on both my 18L and XL. They do make a big difference even for experienced riders: the enhanced feeling of control, and the substantially higher levels of comfort. In the future, any Kingsong wheel that I own will have these FPs or some like them. 

Thanks my friend! I see! Im glad to hear it changes the game even for you. I dont think i could go back to the old ones. I wouldnt want to. I felt so in control, even when i wasnt, haha. Now i need to get some insoles to work on general foot fatigue as im still not used to riding in general!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, seage said:

Ive never done a long ride yet, but as my legs were injured for over a month, my legs are PRETTY underpowered atm. Haha. Going to take a while to get them back up to strength. And even with that, foot fatigue was super light and solved with a little shifting, which i couldnt even do before, haha. And i felt more stable, so my legs did far less work. Such a joy. 

 

 

Thanks my friend! I see! Im glad to hear it changes the game even for you. I dont think i could go back to the old ones. I wouldnt want to. I felt so in control, even when i wasnt, haha. Now i need to get some insoles to work on general foot fatigue as im still not used to riding in general!

Everyone is different, but thus far, I have found that typical skate style shoes work best for me. 

I test for suitability for riding EUCs by trying to fold the shoe vertically to see if I can collapse the sole. If I can collapse the sole then I do not select them. The reason is because your feet will ache sooner in soft-soled shoes. Harder soled skates will work best for long distance riding and avoid foot fatigue longer. 

Some People even wear hiking shoes or boots. I find that shoes of that type, while great for preventing foot fatigue, numb road feel too much for my tastes; I feel more secure when I feel more connected to the wheel. Even on our winter group rides with DC Glydiators I wore skate sneakers and froze off my toes :D. The key is to try out different things and see what works best for you. 

Edited by Lutalo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Scatcat said:

I wish I could get something like these for my MSX too. Those extra half inches in length and width would feel most welcome on long rides for pure comfort and control.

That's what she said, or something ;) 

No comment :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Lutalo said:

I feel more secure when I feel more connected to the wheel.

+1 :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After riding 600km with the XL-pedals and then switch back to my Inmotion V8 got me to realize that I will never buy a wheel with shorter than 25cm pedals. I would prefer 30cm, but I guess we have to wait a few years for that size to hit the market. But when it does, I'm getting them.

The strange thing about pedals is that they are centered and you have the same space for heals as for toes. When the toe part need to be bigger. So my conclusion is that evolution should evolve towards asymetric pedals with longer toe part. I have 46 EUR sized shoes and my toes are hanging way out even with the XL-pedals.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can order V10 pedals and fit those to a V8 as far as I have seen here on forum in other threads.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Lutalo said:

Everyone is different, but thus far, I have found that typical skate style shoes work best for me. 

I test for suitability for riding EUCs by trying to fold the shoe vertically to see if I can collapse the sole. If I can collapse the sole then I do not select them. The reason is because your feet will ache sooner in soft-soled shoes. Harder soled skates will work best for long distance riding and avoid foot fatigue longer. 

Some People even wear hiking shoes or boots. I find that shoes of that type, while great for preventing foot fatigue, numb road feel too much for my tastes; I feel more secure when I feel more connected to the wheel. Even on our winter group rides with DC Glydiators I wore skate sneakers and froze off my toes :D. The key is to try out different things and see what works best for you. 

Im using vans atm. But one of my feel is flat and the other is, so imma need some insoles or something. I dont like wearing boots in general so im pretty happy with my shoes. Even in winter, haha. But we'll see! I'll test some things.I think vans have a lot less support than my old skater shoes i had back in highschool. I remember those being comfortable af. My vans place me firmly on the ground, lol. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Unventor said:

You can order V10 pedals and fit those to a V8 as far as I have seen here on forum in other threads.

Yeah, I read about that. But I think I need to use some kind of spacer. But I don't know if I want to spend anything on my V8. I'm not gonna ride it much anyways. My wife is riding it and she has size 38 so it's no problem for her.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Jens Ronnedal said:

After riding 600km with the XL-pedals and then switch back to my Inmotion V8 got me to realize that I will never buy a wheel with shorter than 25cm pedals. I would prefer 30cm, but I guess we have to wait a few years for that size to hit the market. But when it does, I'm getting them.

The strange thing about pedals is that they are centered and you have the same space for heals as for toes. When the toe part need to be bigger. So my conclusion is that evolution should evolve towards asymetric pedals with longer toe part. I have 46 EUR sized shoes and my toes are hanging way out even with the XL-pedals.

I agree, I think that the perfect platforms would be toe hang free. I notice that when I am in my "anti-speed wobble" - slightly forward of center, there is still significant toe-hang. However my heels no longer hang off the back of the plats; which provides more comfort.

I think asymmetric plats would be needed upgrade to eliminate foot hanging on both sides of the foot. These plats would likely resemble the Dr. Schole's inserts we buy to add extra foot support and comfort in our favorite shoes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, seage said:

Im using vans atm. But one of my feel is flat and the other is, so imma need some insoles or something. I dont like wearing boots in general so im pretty happy with my shoes. Even in winter, haha. But we'll see! I'll test some things.I think vans have a lot less support than my old skater shoes i had back in highschool. I remember those being comfortable af. My vans place me firmly on the ground, lol. 

I am exploring some insulated sneaker/boot type shoes. I ordered a pair that might work better for me; we will see. My last several sustained winter rides frost bit my toes enough to make me consider changing my religion. The skates work best for me, but I gotta at least try to branch out and find a more thermal Zapata if I want to continue riding in the winter months. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...