NEW LARGER KS FOOT PLATFORMS ADDED TO THE 18L

Lutalo

Received the new foot platforms today. I installed them and took the wheel for a ride. I noticed an immediate improvement in how it felt to stand on the platformsI felt more balanced. I actually felt as if I had more control of the wheel. That feeling could be purely psychological given that I didn't spend very much time riding the wheel. It could also be an effect of what seems to be a grippier foot tape. I don't know whether the tape feels gripper because it lays across the entire surface of the wheel, has a higher friction surface, none of the above, or all of the above. 

I suspect that my feet will fare Better on longer rides with these larger platforms. However, at the end of the day standing for long periods of time is still standing for long periods of time. I will take the wheel for a ride to explore any changes wrought by new foot platforms.

Except for the mudflap. My 18L now looks entirely like the 18XL, with all the same equipment except for the battery. gives me a great idea of what it will be like to ride the XL when it arrives. 

Looking forward to getting some real impressions about those new foot platforms on a longer ride.

Important note. When installing the new platforms please be aware that the metal dowel that holds the platform to the hanger now installs from only one side (on the K for Kingsong side). You will now only need one hexagonal screw on one side of the platform to hold it in place.

KS18L After Swap.jpg

KS18L Platform Swap B4.jpg

IMG_20181206_211403.jpg

Platform size comparison2.jpg

Platform size comparison.jpg

IMG_20181206_210132.jpg

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here is an article about how to change pedals on King Song unicycle. Originally in Polish, but will autotranslate to English (there are some other languages as well):

https://najednymkole.pl/en/jak-wymienic-pedaly-na-wieksze-w-monocyklu-king-song/

2 hours ago, Seba said:

Here is an article about how to change pedals on King Song unicycle. Originally in Polish, but here you have Google Translate direct link:

https://translate.google.pl/translate?sl=pl&tl=en&u=https%3A%2F%2Fnajednymkole.pl%2Fjak-wymienic-pedaly-na-wieksze-w-monocyklu-king-song%2F

Original, Polish text:

https://najednymkole.pl/jak-wymienic-pedaly-na-wieksze-w-monocyklu-king-song/

Great article. A lot of his sentiments echo my own. I am looking forward to a longer ride. I especially liked what the author said about the reduced probability for oscillations to occur due to the platforms; hadn't thought of that one, because I don't get oscillations with the old ones on this wheel. However,  with platforms that reduce the chance of oscillations the 18L/XL has just become a better learning wheel. Which, in the end is more economical than buying multiple wheels as skills increase. 

12 minutes ago, Lutalo said:

However,  with platforms that reduce the chance of oscillations the 18L/XL has just become a better learning wheel. Which, in the end is more economical than buying multiple wheels as skills increase. 

Personally, I'm getting more and more convinced that KS-18L/XL may be a good starter wheel for adults. Definitely KS-18XL it's a good all-round wheel, especially if its weight is not a big problem for the rider.

4 minutes ago, Seba said:

Personally, I'm getting more and more convinced that KS-18L/XL may be a good starter wheel for adults. Definitely KS-18XL it's a good all-round wheel, especially if its weight is not a big problem for the rider.

I learned to ride on an KS18A. I have three sons and they all learned to ride on the same 18" wheel upon which I learned. I tend to advocate learning on 18" wheels because I think adults; especially larger adults will actually feel more at ease learning on them due to their greater stability and comfort. 

I also got the larger pedals from Ewheels, I ordered 3 sets and installed on my KS 14C, 16S ans 18AY, just tested the KS16S this morning for a 10 miles ride, I wear 11 size shoes,  it felt AWESOME.

Thanks Jason.

Just a question if someone can help, the new pedals only use 1 lock screw per pedal, and the steel rod only go in 1 way, right?

Thanks.

1 minute ago, Peter Q said:

Just a question if someone can help, the new pedals only use 1 lock screw per pedal, and the steel rod only go in 1 way, right?

Exactly.

13 minutes ago, Peter Q said:

I also got the larger pedals from Ewheels, I ordered 3 sets and installed on my KS 14C, 16S ans 18AY, just tested the KS16S this morning for a 10 miles ride, I wear 11 size shoes,  it felt AWESOME.

Thanks Jason.

Nice. They fit well on all of those wheels. You will love them. 

26 minutes ago, Peter Q said:

Thanks.

That is correct. If looking at the word "KINGSONG" printed on the bottom of the foot landing, the metal dowel will enter the platform hole from the side closest to the "K". You wind the hexagonal screw on the same side to secure it. A hexagonal on the opposite end is no longer needed. 

The new installation setup briefly threw me for a loop :confused1: but I figured it out pretty quickly as it eventually becomes obvious that you cannot even insert the metal dowel from the new closed end of the foot landing. 

Cool that you ordered them and are swapping them across the board on all of your wheels. I will eventually do the same. Personally,  I am an 18" wheel sort of guy. I have ridden, but never owned a 14" or 16" wheel.  I currently have two of the tall form factor (KS18AY), the wheel shown in the photos above, and soon an XL :clap3:

19 hours ago, Lutalo said:

Received the new foot platforms tod

Absolutely awesome @Lutalo! I’m so happy for your new riding plates. Look fab. 

These pics are are super helpful as well. Really give an important visual and the pedals. 

Can not wait to get mine on! 

7 hours ago, Peter Q said:

I ordered 3 sets and installed on my KS 14C, 16S ans 18AY,

Good idea!

3 hours ago, Siggy said:

Absolutely awesome @Lutalo! I’m so happy for your new riding plates. Look fab. 

These pics are are super helpful as well. Really give an important visual and the pedals. 

Can not wait to get mine on! 

Good idea!

@Siggy you are gonna love the way that they look when they go live on your wheel. As the author of the Polish platform install article shared by @Seba suggested, When you get to see the black foot landings in person you will wonder why KS ever thought the grey ones were a good idea. 

Just tested the new foot platforms on a ride to the gym. Still, not a very significant distance; about 8 miles round trip, but enough to gather some impressions. My main thoughts leave me wondering why KS was so resistant to increasing the size.

I recall watching a little while back an @eddiemoy video where he was testing the XL demo unit. He mentioned in this video review that he didn't notice much difference in experience with the new larger foot platforms. I have no doubt that his impressions are true for him. I, on the other hand feel that the new platforms made a great deal of difference in my ride experience.  

I have ridden the 4+ mile route (8+ miles round trip) from my home to the gym many times on the 18L with the old platforms. I have always experienced some foot fatigue by the end of the ride. The fatigue hasn't been severe on this route because over much time riding EUCs my formerly wimpy feet have substantially toughened; but some fatigue was always noticeable.

When I took the same route today with the new platforms I noticed zero fatigue. I would have rode even longer, but it is very cold for long distance riding in DC today, and I didn't wear a balaclava :ph34r:which caused great suffering about the facial area. 

It could be that for some individuals who perhaps have smaller feet (sizes 6-8 US Mens) the difference in foot platform size may in fact be negligible. This would at least in part explain why the complaints predominantly originated in western markets. For me (size 10.5-11), the new platforms were a major improvement in riding comfort. 

My hypothesis is that the proliferation of the new platforms may correlate with a reduction in complaints about foot discomfort in all the markets representing the major sources of said complaints. 

Today's ride made me realize the importance of foot comfort to this hobby. It could contribute in some part to the difference between EUC commuting becoming a meaningful and fully integrated lifestyle transportation modality for many longterm enthusiasts or the brief fascination of many fairweather hedonists. The second course usually leads to trending fad and early death.

In conclusion, I noticed an immediate improvement in foot comfort. My verdict; get these pedals because they look far better than the ugly gray eyesores of yesteryear, and they will feel better to those with large enough feet to benefit from the improvement. 

1 hour ago, Lutalo said:

I recall watching a little while back an @eddiemoy video where he was testing the XL demo unit. He mentioned in this video review that he didn't notice much difference in experience with the new larger foot platforms. I have no doubt that his impressions are true for him. I, on the other hand feel that the new platforms made a great deal of difference in my ride experience.  

We shouldn't forget that @eddiemoy tested new pedals but with old anti-slip pads. IMO it makes a big difference, because with these pads effective area of adhesion is the same like in old pedals. The only gain is more leverage, but feet stability is the same like in old pedals.

4 hours ago, Seba said:

We shouldn't forget that @eddiemoy tested new pedals but with old anti-slip pads. IMO it makes a big difference, because with these pads effective area of adhesion is the same like in old pedals. The only gain is more leverage, but feet stability is the same like in old pedals.

Very true, he could have been directly speaking to grip. I am not sure because I was recalling the video from memory. Of course, from memory his findings were easier to recall than any reason he might have given.

Since, I was speaking only to the findings of his final impression (it's all I remembered), and I was not in particular disagreement with this impression; no way to really disagree with someone's impression gained from personal experience whatever the factors. I didn't feel it critical to spend too much time on whatever reasons he may have had for his impressions.

However, @Seba as always, you make a good point. @eddiemoy did have the prototype platform on the test mule he was reviewing. I had the production version.

Personally, I didn't provide any impressions relative to increased grip because for me they were not all that profound. 

I attribute my grip impressions to the fact that I have never liked the originally equipped grip tape on the platforms. I usually replace the original tape with a grippier version almost as soon as I get a wheel. The exception being the tape on the old platforms shown in the photo which are spares from a very old wheel.

In the attached photo the surface area of the grippier tape I applied is reduced because of the yellow safety stripe. I later reapplied the grip tape to cover the entire surface area and eliminated the use of the yellow safety stripe so that the platform landing looks exactly like the surface of the new landings. The tape shown in the photo is incredibly grippy; I am accustomed to riding with it.

Although I showed in the photos that the new tape covers the entire landing, the complete absence of any impressions related to grip in the written portion can most likely be attributed to the fact that I didn't notice a particular improvement over the aftermarket tape I normally use on my foot platform landings. As a result,  I probably felt, quite subjectively,  that the dimensions of the new platforms, being the most obvious and significant change contributed most to my personal impressions of the ride experience.

It will be interesting to see the variety of valid impressions and feedback that will surely come from riders as the new platforms gradually become the new standard; at least in the west. 

Foot Platform with Safety Stripe.jpg

@Lutalo and @Seba, the demo unit that I tested basically was an elongated version of the old KS pedals.  They were not flat but a little rounded and had the two section of grip tape and made of plastic just like the old ones on the top.  The new ones are completely flat with full grip tape and made of metal with zero flex.  I love the new ones.  They are a significant upgrade from the prototype that I tested.  This flat platform is much more comfortable.  I think that is why I like the Inmotion V10F pedals, they were completely flat which is the reason it was more comfortable, but not structural like the new KS pedals.  These new pedals make the ride so much easier on an already fantastic 18L.  In my opinion it is now the ultimate wheel.  Same is true when I put the other set on my 18S.  It just makes the wheel so much more easy to command more power out of it.  Though with the 18S I could just sit and push the front of the seat to get more acceleration than I could standing up, but still.  The extra inch on each side gives you that much more leverage.  I can now do my idling very consistently with the new pedals on an 18" which says a lot.  

The prototype pedals were meh.  It did little for me.  The production pedals are Fantastic!

2 minutes ago, eddiemoy said:

In my opinion it is now the ultimate wheel.

My sentiment exactly. Amazing what a simple foot platform change can do. Sounds like the prototype foot platform was significantly different from the production model: a different design altogether. That explains perfectly the impressions you shared about it in your video I referenced. I love the heck out of these new FPs dude. 

1 hour ago, eddiemoy said:

Here are some pictures from my 18S and 18L.

IMG_0668.thumb.jpg.d862fb2bfbc429f6fd873965d20efe48.jpgIMG_0669.thumb.jpg.fbca70178329e2f49eff9a1f05bf866e.jpg366746722_IMG_0670(1).thumb.jpg.fcc6707e6836d81b13e715d3370a378a.jpg

The 18s looks wicked with those new FPs. I was considering it for mine (AYs I am planning to convert to Ss). Seeing this photo I know it is a must. 

Archived