How do you survive the winter?

Guga

8 minutes ago, Ju Reader said:

To survive the winter get yourself some heated USB insolesĀ  heated gloves heated vest/body warmer and heated trousers that go under your jeans plug them all into batteries in your rucksack and switch on and you'll be in heavenĀ 

OrĀ dress up like Tom Brady.Ā ;)

44630109350_981e08e4d7_b.jpg

Ā 

• Like 1

On 12/23/2018 at 7:28 AM, Darrell Wesh said:

this is the greatest EUC trick video period. Even tops his 2016 contest video by a large marginĀ 

Absolutely amazing, too bad I will never be able to come anywhere close to this man skill set hahahaha. :lol:

But ok I'll have my fun anyway, regarding winter I wonder if the Schwalbe Mad Mike 16" in 2.125 flavor will fit the ACM, saw that Speedyfeet only sellign the 1.75" variant + I carry even if weight limits given is a hard limit per se I like the 2.125 and no reason to mess about with the MSX what a reserve wheel already in my hands.

Anyone?Ā  ..or anyone solver traction in some other way, does not have to be studs as long as can fit and not touch the case under rotation, do that and only the imagination impose the limits and I hate to limit my own mind for no good reason but seems to have run into a wall here?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ju Reader said:

To survive the winter get yourself some heated USB insolesĀ  heated gloves heated vest/body warmer and heated trousers that go under your jeans plug them all into batteries in your rucksack and switch on and you'll be in heavenĀ 

I don't know man, sounds like it might bear the riskĀ ofĀ baggy sack electrocution.Ā :D

Edited by Lutalo
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, Electroman said:

Absolutely amazing, too bad I will never be able to come anywhere close to this man skill set hahahaha. :lol:

But ok I'll have my fun anyway, regarding winter I wonder if the Schwalbe Mad Mike 16" in 2.125 flavor will fit the ACM, saw that Speedyfeet only sellign the 1.75" variant + I carry even if weight limits given is a hard limit per se I like the 2.125 and no reason to mess about with the MSX what a reserve wheel already in my hands.

Anyone?Ā  ..or anyone solver traction in some other way, does not have to be studs as long as can fit and not touch the case under rotation, do that and only the imagination impose the limits and I hate to limit my own mind for no good reason but seems to have run into a wall here?

I installed the Kenda version of the Mad Mike tire on myĀ copperĀ ACM2, the wheel I converted to make a dedicated mountain wheel (although I still ride it on the street). IĀ loveĀ how the wheel sounds with this tire. It's very loud and gives the ACM a great sound (pedestrians can hear you a mile awayĀ :D)

Kenda Comp III Style Wire Bead Bicycle Tire, Blackwall, 16-Inch x 2.125-Inch

Edited by Marty Backe
  • Like 1

I find that mostĀ trick riders have their own style and forte and a few signature moves. I am always fascinated by that variety.

Mr Gaumet is certainly one of the most talented one and has a gift for Showmanship.

A few "Artists" that I enjoy watching.

Brian Thompson showing what you can do with a "Low Power" Wheel

Ā 

Ā 

Sergio CM on an "Old tech" Ninebot One

Ā 

Ā 

Soul Rider has a few originalĀ jumping moves on a "low Power" wheel...

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Edited by pico
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, pico said:

I find that mostĀ trick riders have their own style and forte and a few signature moves. I am always fascinated by that variety.

Mr Gaumet is certainly one of the most talented one and has a gift for Showmanship.

A few "Artists" that I enjoy watching.

Brian Thompson showing what you can do with a "Low Power" Wheel

Ā 

Ā 

Sergio CM on an "Old tech" Ninebot One

Ā 

Ā 

Soul Rider has some a few originalĀ jumping moves on a "low Power" wheel...

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Nice! I have a feeling that as these wheels proliferate the best is yet come. šŸ˜‰šŸ‘

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Professur said:

just back from a 6.5km ride in -10C. ahead of incoming freezing rain. Brrrr. Definitely need better cold weather gear for head and hands. Had to cut it short because of the windburn.

Awesome! I've found that too, that keeping the wind out is the number one cold management problem. One doesn't have to dress that warmly really, but the wind feels super cold on any exposed skin when the speeds get past 30kph.

Ā 

Edited by winterwheel
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, winterwheel said:

Awesome! I've found that too, that keeping the wind out is the number one cold management problem. Once doesn't have to dress that warmly really, but the wind feels super cold on any exposed skin when the speeds get past 30kph.

Ā 

GORE Windstopper is your best friend. Many cheap Chinese apparel claim windproof but are exposed to be terrible once you do anything more than a jogging pace.Ā 

If itā€™s actually cold though (around 0 degrees Celsius) then youā€™ll need insulation as stopping the wind will only keep you warm for a couple minutes.Ā 

Damn, Winter Madness is real:eff02518bb:

I wasn't on the wheel for 2 weeks now. I didn't ride since October, but do some balcony riding for a minute or twoĀ here and there. But I didn't even do that forĀ two weeks (gone for work for a week, Xmas chaos, etc.). Well, yesterday I spent a minute on my balcony again. Just so I don't forget how it feels to stand on the wheel. Short and sweet.

Result: a very vivid, very specific dream about riding my ACM. You have to know I barely dream in a way I know it happened after waking up. AndĀ if I dream and know it, something I don't immediately forget after waking up is once in a decade or even more rare.

The dream:

So I was in Tokyo with my ACM. It was all very specific, not just a wheel, but my ACM, in its shape and weight (that you have to carry when not riding, as does a traveller on other transportation). I was atĀ a small train or bus station in the middle of the road between narrow lanes, free for the first time, having just arrived in Japan from whatever fixed, determined route came before. The building was also a small shopping mall. Very old and run down, white stainy tilesĀ everywhere, small shops, a bit dirty, etc. For some reason, it was dripping heavily through the roof despite no rain outside, just cold-ish but dry, overcast, low-contrast nondescript autumn weather. The entire affair was in a low buildings (2 stories), older, secondary Japanese residential area, nothing special or glitzy or shiny or neon-y, just a forgotten neighborhood with little people to be seen.

Anyways, I had to get somewhere but didn't know what direction to take. I wanted to take a bus or subway to get to my destination as I didn't know where I'd ride with my ACM and how long it would take, how feasible it would be. Navigation (Google Maps, I said it was very specific) told me it was 3 hours and a few minutes to wheel to my destination to the southeast (very specific, shape of route and alternative routes and all). I was wondering if my battery was enough for that. But there were no buses coming and to be expected, no other option, the situation had unreliableĀ phone reception, not sure. Anyways, so I stepped on my ACM on the narrow, paved lane in front of the mall and began towards the general direction wobbly-ly, going through the residential streets, trying to keep left instead of right, as they drive in Japan. Everything was a bit uncertain, but the general direction was right, and I was going, barely seeing anyone else.

Some time later, still no exact route, but I had gained some confidence and was going a bit faster. Still through the typical residential streets. I remember a roundabout I took the wrong (counter-clockwise) way, but nobody was there anyways. Traffic was very light to nonexistent, everything seemed off the beaten track and nearly abandoned since I arrived at the station/mall which had a handful of people at least.

Ā A bit later, I was going fast on a straight street, on the right side as I'm used to. A group of a dozen fast Japanese road bike riders (the spandex type) sped towards me in the opposite direction. They were in the middle of the road, but one guy was on the left (my right) and I was in his rightful way. I attempted to change sides but abandoned it with a quick turnĀ to my right as I would have hit the big group, not enough space or time before we would meet.Ā The single rider gave way to me towards the center of the street, with a little raised eyebrow, but they weren't more mad than that, more surprised of the unexpected visitor on the road. From pulling over quicklyĀ to the right after aborting crossing to the other side, I hit the bevelled granite curb (again, very specific) with my right pedal and almost fell, but could ride out the wobble due to reflexes. My ACM's behavior in this was so vivid and realistic, it woke me up.

-

All that from a minute on the wheel again the evening before. The brain is an interesting thing:efee8319ab:Ā I think I need to speed up getting winter riding clothing, of which I have none, before more stuff happens.

So much for this story, for your enjoyment:efee47c9c8:

Edited by meepmeepmayer
Spelling
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

I wasn't on the wheel for 2 weeks now. I didn't ride since October, but do some balcony riding for a minute or twoĀ here and there. But I didn't even do that forĀ two weeks (gone for work for a week, Xmas chaos, etc.). Well, yesterday I spent a minute on my balcony again. Just so I don't forget how it feels to stand on the wheel. Short and sweet.

Just get out and ride already. Most days in winter are perfectly fine to grab a few kms, and it turns out there are quite a few of us doing it.Ā :eff034a94a:

• Like 3

4 hours ago, winterwheel said:

Just get out and ride already. Most days in winter are perfectly fine to grab a few kms, and it turns out there are quite a few of us doing it.Ā :eff034a94a:

You're not wrong:efee47c9c8:Ā But I lack clothing, and somehow since getting a helmet, I don't want to ride without one, which I'd have to do if I want to keep my head warm. The hat doesn't work under my very airy helmet. I'm already thinking about what to do, so there may still be hope:efee8319ab:

11 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

You're not wrong:efee47c9c8:Ā But I lack clothing, and somehow since getting a helmet, I don't want to ride without one, which I'd have to do if I want to keep my head warm. The hat doesn't work under my very airy helmet. I'm already thinking about what to do, so there may still be hope:efee8319ab:

GORE WEAR Men's Windproof Cycling Beanie, M Windstopper Insulated Beanie, Size: M, Color: Black, 100385 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077XYWCRH/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_1t.jCbGGXY0TQ

windstopper and insulation. You should be able to fit it under a helmetĀ 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Thanks, man. I was thinking of something like this (a "cyclist's cap" as I call it). Also happily following your other wear suggestions in this thread, very helpful! Right now I'm too lazy (and the weather is mostly ugly), but that will hopefully change soon:D

GORE WEAR https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077XYTWHH?ref=yo_pop_ma_swf

Insulated shoe bootie with windstopper will be your best friend. No more cold feet. I would always wear thick heavy socks that did absolutely nothing to keep my feet warm till I found this.Ā 

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Darrell Wesh said:

GORE WEAR https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077XYTWHH?ref=yo_pop_ma_swf

Insulated shoe bootie with windstopper will be your best friend. No more cold feet. I would always wear thick heavy socks that did absolutely nothing to keep my feet warm till I found this.Ā 

Some winter insulated boots always work for me ... no need for thick socks or booties.

2 hours ago, Nic said:

Some winter insulated boots always work for me ... no need for thick socks or booties.

Donā€™t know how you do it. Boots are so heavy and thick you get zero groundĀ feel and donā€™t know where your feet are on the pedals. I wear flat,Ā light shoe so no insulation.Ā 

16 minutes ago, Darrell Wesh said:

Donā€™t know how you do it. Boots are so heavy and thick you get zero groundĀ feel and donā€™t know where your feet are on the pedals. I wear flat,Ā light shoe so no insulation.Ā 

There are lightweight options that feel like trainersĀ available if you search for them. Something like these maybe ...Ā https://www.amazon.com/Mgreater-Waterproof-Booties-Non-Slip-Lightweight/dp/B07GPM3W9V/ref=sr_1_2

Ā 

16 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

When I want to wear a helmet in winter I wear a snowboarding helmet. It's made to keep the noggin warm and safe at the same time.