Ninebot to provide improved front light for Z10 for free. Great service but not available outside of China?!

EUCMania

On NB's Chinese forum, there is a few info about free replacement front light with correct light angle. If your Z's serial number is lower than N30TC1844T0001, then you can get one new front light. They also said that there is a video telling customers how to change it DIY. I called the Chinese number 400xxxxxx - 9 to ask for it, but the CS Rep said that she only took order from China and told me to contact my seller to get it. I bought from Ewheel. I hope @Jason McNeil can contact NB to get these improved front lights for his custmers.

Z10's serial number N30TC1844T0001 contains the time of assembly: year=18, week = 44th. 

Interesting information. Can You get some details if this lamp is the same power (5W) so that the only actual improvement is the angle?  (which of course should be properly set since first units... )  Picture of the new lamp could be helpfull. 

Also - if You have chance - maybe You can check Chinese forum for the large pedals (as shown on CES)  fairs

7 hours ago, EUCMania said:

The forum said that everything is the same except the angle is lower, possibly the front glass shape is also changed. I will wait for @Jason McNeil to respond.

Thanks @EUCMania, I've reached out to my Ninebot rep to see how we can get these new lens/headlights. It's great that they've come the recognition that the blinding-oncoming-pedestrians-instead-of-the-road beam needed improvement.... 

I hope they also fix the weak trolley handle. This gives me another idea ... many users wish for larger battery ... why don't they design a new trolley handle where an external battery can be mounted between the two telescopic arms and add a connector socket to the EUC shell to complete the connection. This would fix all niggles I have with Z10 and make it the best EUC out there. It would also allow you to carry enough battery for the trip you are on.

1 hour ago, Nic said:

I hope they also fix the weak trolley handle. This gives me another idea ... many users wish for larger battery ... why don't they design a new trolley handle where an external battery can be mounted between the two telescopic arms and add a connector socket to the EUC shell to complete the connection. This would fix all niggles I have with Z10 and make it the best EUC out there. It would also allow you to carry enough battery for the trip you are on.

No manufacturer has yet to offer external batteries. I suspect it's due to the high probability of damage when the wheel inevitably falls. However, I really like your suggestion if it could be implemented in a robust way.

2 hours ago, Nic said:

This looks cool as a concept, but may be quite complex to prepare and ensure SAFETY of the whole solution. Several aspects of such solution may influence (reduce) safety - and keep in mind that power failure during the ride may end in fatal accident, also "external" battery may be prone of dents/destruction/separation or even fire in case of fall. 

1 hour ago, Lukasz said:

This looks cool as a concept, but may be quite complex to prepare and ensure SAFETY of the whole solution. Several aspects of such solution may influence (reduce) safety - and keep in mind that power failure during the ride may end in fatal accident, also "external" battery may be prone of dents/destruction/separation or even fire in case of fall. 

Its a challenge, but I'm certain its solvable ... a nice hard shell and some rubber bumpers on the battery pack would do it. Its one for the designers to solve, but it would be a game-changer for me ... different battery packs depending on your range requirements ... bring it on! Dealers stock one product and customers choose additional battery packs if they need more range.

3 hours ago, Nic said:

Just make the mud guard into a platform on which you can attach anything you want. That is, instead of roundish shape of the current mud guard, give it some flat surface with mounting screw holes. Maybe @Lukasz can 3D print one?

Also, @Lukasz, I 3d-printed your switch guard. But after a while, especially in cold weather, it falls off due to the plastic wants to spring back from the bended shape. If you can adjust your stl file to make the switch protector to have curved surface on the side to be taped to the switch and make it thicker, then it is  perfect.

Thank you Ninebot for investing in your customers and providing this replacement. I've been honked at and given the finger about twice now lol and I was just standing on the sidewalk still learning to ride. I've disabled the front light in the time being.. Seeing this post is giving me confidence that Ninebot is serious about pushing out the best EUC they can and I am grateful for that!

On 12/5/2018 at 6:54 PM, EUCMania said:

Just make the mud guard into a platform on which you can attach anything you want. That is, instead of roundish shape of the current mud guard, give it some flat surface with mounting screw holes. Maybe @Lukasz can 3D print one?

Back of the Z10 offers enough support (6 mounting points) for something more than thin plastic mudguard, but this mounting is not strong enough to use it for example as the secondary battery mount, as in case of fail/crash it would break and fly away in fraction of the second. Please tell me more what You would like to mount there instead of the mudguard?  

Second thing is that 3d printing of such larger and complex shape may not be easy. 

On 12/5/2018 at 6:54 PM, EUCMania said:

Also, @Lukasz, I 3d-printed your switch guard. But after a while, especially in cold weather, it falls off due to the plastic wants to spring back from the bended shape. If you can adjust your stl file to make the switch protector to have curved surface on the side to be taped to the switch and make it thicker, then it is  perfect.

I use the printout in cold weather for months now - 2300km - no issues (I am not sure which part of USA you are from but weather may be warmer or the same as here in Poland) and several other people use my printouts... no reports so far about lost pieces, but of course it may happen.

I think that there are tricky issues here as with 3d printing in general - this is not easy sometimes to set it right -  please check for a) type of the plastic You print from - I use Ultra PLA which is much less stiff than regular PLA and offers nice mat black color b) shape it properly when it is still hot just after printing, c) use high strength double side tape to stick it. 

If You still have issue - contact me by email - I can print and make ready whole set switch protector + pedal openers with tested high quality double side tape and send it to You.

Yes, try to print from softer plastic, and experiment with various double sided tapes - I use professional gel tape used in electronics but I do not know the name of this tape

It would be interesting to create some kind of "trunk" for Z10, but from many years of practical unicycles use (more than 10 000 miles) some kind of small backpack is the solution - it can also offer the base some additional safety lights, tools, air pump, water, wipes, etc. afaik Marty use some kind of small bag stripped to his belt (also with water bottle) 

I am maybe overreacting with light/colors BUT - please remember that You have only PASSIVE safety solutions (except elbow/knee/wrist pads) it is better to stay safe than sorry and stay away from being hit by car. In fact when we ride together with my daughter a lot of people thinks that we are from police or some kind of safety / emergency team and the move away.  

On 12/5/2018 at 11:04 AM, Marty Backe said:

No manufacturer has yet to offer external batteries. I suspect it's due to the high probability of damage when the wheel inevitably falls. However, I really like your suggestion if it could be implemented in a robust way.

KingSong 14B?  

Lots of e-bikes have external batteries, they crash also.

2 minutes ago, FreeRide said:

KingSong 14B?  

Lots of e-bikes have external batteries, they crash also.

But if an e-bike battery pack/system fails because of one too many falls, you won't kill yourself. Everything becomes a bit more important when you're riding at 20mph on a self-balancing wheel with no redundancy (two wheels).

The 14B has swappable batteries. They aren't external (or was that an option that I'm not aware of?)

• 2 weeks later...

Has there been any updates on this? I'm on five middle fingers, three "f" you's and about 20+ horns. I stopped counting that with my light on at night. LOL Oh, I had one guy one up me by turning on his entire truck's flood lights to teach me a lesson. hahah I almost died going 7mph that night. hahah

1 hour ago, darkflame808 said:

Has there been any updates on this? I'm on five middle fingers, three "f" you's and about 20+ horns. I stopped counting that with my light on at night. LOL Oh, I had one guy one up me by turning on his entire truck's flood lights to teach me a lesson. hahah I almost died going 7mph that night. hahah

My seller, @The Fat Unicyclist here in New Zealand has contacted Segway-Ninebot for more info, so just waiting to hear back when he has an update.  I can only suggest that everyone contacts their own seller and ask that they do the same!

I do have a comparison photo posted by a Segway-Ninebot forum member that shows the difference between the original and the upgraded headlight, that may be of some interest to Z10 owners.  You can see that the led's have been positioned higher to give a more downward focused light pattern.

Ninebot Z10 upgraded headlight.jpg

Thank you. I'll try see if Jasoon has been given any update on these. Might just need to consider doing a modification and mounting the LED's higher and use copper sheet traces and high heat glue if all else fails. It's unusable as it is so a failed mod would be exactly the same as it stands now.

2 hours ago, darkflame808 said:

Thank you. I'll try see if Jasoon has been given any update on these. Might just need to consider doing a modification and mounting the LED's higher and use copper sheet traces and high heat glue if all else fails. It's unusable as it is so a failed mod would be exactly the same as it stands now.

I have just heard back from my seller @The Fat Unicyclist, but unfortunately not with any real news. Segway-Ninebot have only been able to tell him that at this stage the Free replacement is only available for the domestic market, which is basically the same status that we already knew about!  He is still going to keep pushing them on behalf of his New Zealand customer base, which is the most any other sellers can do given Segway-Ninebot's stance.

With regard to you having a go at modifying the existing headlamp yourself, you are so right - there really is nothing to loose!

On 12/20/2018 at 6:08 PM, fbhb said:

I have just heard back from my seller @The Fat Unicyclist, but unfortunately not with any real news. Segway-Ninebot have only been able to tell him that at this stage the Free replacement is only available for the domestic market, which is basically the same status that we already knew about!  He is still going to keep pushing them on behalf of his New Zealand customer base, which is the most any other sellers can do given Segway-Ninebot's stance.

With regard to you having a go at modifying the existing headlamp yourself, you are so right - there really is nothing to loose!

I got the same answer from Segway NZ as well, bit of a pity really..

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Negru Ionel said:

New front lamp with correct light on sale (alliexpress) 

RON 121.67 | Updated Z10 front light original Ninebot Z10 front light rear light electric unicycle Ninebot One Z10 Z8 Z6 spare parts

Frontlight replacement is free 

Are you affiliated with aliexpress because your link seems be an affiliated link ? 

Ninebot China official free replacement frontlight for foreign customers

Archived