DYU escooter (Singapore Scene)

Garrie Lim

Recently got back my DYU escooter after sending it for an overhaul. Changed the old 17.5ah battery to a larger 24.5ah one. It’s now a 72V 24.5ah system. 20S7P.

In Singapore, as more dualtrons are being clamped down due to the strict laws here, we have all begun to sell off our DTs and take up lighter escooters like the DYU or the Fiido. I’m glad to see the dualtrons being progressively taken up in Europe and America. It is a very good escooter. Unfortunately for us here, it’s days are over. Not only do we have officers stationed to catch overweight scooters, we can get fined and also have it impounded(with no chance of getting it back). So it is really not worth to ride it anymore. 

However, the hobby is still the same. No DT? Never mind!

We continue to improve our rides on the DYU and Fiido. It’s all the same concept anyway. Change to a larger voltage battery, change to a larger controller, and change the motor to one with higher wattage. 

As you can see from my photos, this is already the 2nd iteration of changes I’ve done to my dyu. 

My battery is larger, with 7p instead of 5p, I have 70amps I’d discharge for my 50a controller. A steering damper is installed as well to better manage steering wobble(tankslap) at high speeds above 70kph.  A voltmeter is also installed for a quick visual check of remaining voltage. 

We may not be able to ride DTs anymore but it doesn’t mean we can’t get DT performance. 

6F321863-DA8A-4F10-830D-93B1AB14AF75.jpeg

0D846CD5-AF06-48D5-A217-5E85FFFC35D1.jpeg

A8E6D552-AD48-4C0A-89BF-9FBBE6B3EBE2.jpeg

76558A28-1238-4954-AD38-412CC6F7C913.jpeg

• Like 1

I'm really really hurting for you guys in SG. The LTA rules are draconian -- they should have different rules for pathways and roads. You should be able to ride your DTs on the roads without restriction, other than prohibiting freeways and such.

The changes in rules in SG got me to look deep into what the law is here in CA USA. Turns out my Dualtron Thunder is totally illegal too. It exceeds max weight, exceeds permitted speed, and isn't allowed on the roadway as a standing scooter. I have a seat, which may be confusing cops, but I think that's realistically about zero chance. Rather, scooters like the Dualtron are so rare, this leads to two things: Cops aren't up on the specifics of scooter regulations, so they don't know I'm breaking the law; second, the rarity means I'm the only person seen on a contraption like this, riding around SEATED going 40mph with traffic on the road, so everyone simply assumes it's a totally legal, lightweight, electric scooter -- the cops too.

Even with the 15mph speed-limiter wire connected, it's still illegal on several counts. However, since no one's getting hit or annoyed by them, just courteous me riding around, it's effectively 100% legal. No one else cares, or really has any reason to.

Edited by dwallersv
  • Like 1

On 12/8/2018 at 12:50 PM, dwallersv said:

I'm really really hurting for you guys in SG. The LTA rules are draconian -- they should have different rules for pathways and roads. You should be able to ride your DTs on the roads without restriction, other than prohibiting freeways and such.

The changes in rules in SG got me to look deep into what the law is here in CA USA. Turns out my Dualtron Thunder is totally illegal too. It exceeds max weight, exceeds permitted speed, and isn't allowed on the roadway as a standing scooter. I have a seat, which may be confusing cops, but I think that's realistically about zero chance. Rather, scooters like the Dualtron are so rare, this leads to two things: Cops aren't up on the specifics of scooter regulations, so they don't know I'm breaking the law; second, the rarity means I'm the only person seen on a contraption like this, riding around SEATED going 40mph with traffic on the road, so everyone simply assumes it's a totally legal, lightweight, electric scooter -- the cops too.

Even with the 15mph speed-limiter wire connected, it's still illegal on several counts. However, since no one's getting hit or annoyed by them, just courteous me riding around, it's effectively 100% legal. No one else cares, or really has any reason to.

That’s how it started off in Singapore too. It was rare at first and even when riding on the road, not many people knew what they were looking at. But as it got more popular and younger and younger kids started buying and riding them recklessly, we started to get accidents happening and get our image tarnished. 

Now everyone seems to hate escooterist. Pedestrians look at us with disdain, as someone stealing space on our sidewalk/pavement, and as someone reckless. 

@dwallersv :blink: The Dualtrons are illegal in California?  @Alien Rides are you aware of these rules?  @Duf I wonder if other States have similar restrictions.

@Garrie Lim  that DYU e-scooter you have looks cool, and those larger tires look like they would handle rougher terrain better at higher speeds than the smaller tires on the Dualtron.  It does look more like an E-bike than traditional e-scooter.  That steering damper looks like a great idea.

To be clear, illegal to ride over 15mph, outside of bike lanes, and on roads with speed limits over 25mph. The scooter itself is not illegal -- there are no weight restrictions. So almost all the riding I do is illegal.

However, this is really mostly academic -- e-scooters have not been addressed in any serious way yet here in the US, so there is a mishmash of local and state laws (nothing federal/national), that combine and conflict to be impossible to either follow or enforce. Combined with the rarity of a scooter like the Dualtron, and there effectively aren't any rules that are being enforced.

I share the road with city and county police regularly, buzzing along down Soquel Ave speeding with the rest of the traffic going 40mph (speed limit it 35 on that road). The cops are usually passing me, speeding themselves.

Given our relative e-scooter (standup scooters) noobness over here, I suspect the cops consider my dualtron, with a seat, an ultralight moped thingy (like a Vespa or something), and therefore totally legit. Just a guess tho.

• Like 1

Yeeks... :blink:  

You can kind of see why the government is cracking down in Singapore...  when you have high speed e-scooters mixing with other road vehicles things likely are going to get complicated.

Edited by Hunka Hunka Burning Love

On ‎12‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 11:27 PM, Garrie Lim said:

That’s how it started off in Singapore too. It was rare at first and even when riding on the road, not many people knew what they were looking at. But as it got more popular and younger and younger kids started buying and riding them recklessly, we started to get accidents happening and get our image tarnished. 

Now everyone seems to hate escooterist. Pedestrians look at us with disdain, as someone stealing space on our sidewalk/pavement, and as someone reckless. 

Why is it regulated by weight and not by overall top speed.  Like what if you have a scooter with a low top speed within regulations but heavy weight just due to an extra long range battery capacity.

Is weight just the easiest way for them to correlate speed/power being over the legal limit?

• 9 months later...

Hi, I am Izaac from Singapore Management University, I am currently doing a market research on public perceptions of PMDs with my fellow group mates. Please do help us out by completing this short survey, it won't take more than 5 minutes, thank you!

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1SCswX2N-ieXy6UZQnHkxSNY8xJ8EPy-IuCqxc1VjQro/edit

Hi, in NZ until about mid 2024 (if my memory serves) mobility scooters are up to 1500 Watts output & eeeeeverything else electric or electric assisted underneath the moped class is up to 300 Watts output ...so of course, everything that has more output than a Lime rental scooter is illegal ...the courts are on the side of the EV owners, so the police are staying out of it, since they lost a test case when a court upheld that a Segway is a mobility device.

The annoying thing here is that e-scooters are illegal in bicycle lanes, when the road traffic here is murderous, ggrrr :cry2:

ps. l wonder what the motor wattage is nowadays, on Garrie's DYU ??

Edited by stephenbadger
2 cents worth

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/18/2019 at 1:10 AM, stephenbadger said:

Hi, in NZ until about mid 2024 (if my memory serves) mobility scooters are up to 1500 Watts output & eeeeeverything else electric or electric assisted underneath the moped class is up to 300 Watts output ...so of course, everything that has more output than a Lime rental scooter is illegal ...the courts are on the side of the EV owners, so the police are staying out of it, since they lost a test case when a court upheld that a Segway is a mobility device.

The annoying thing here is that e-scooters are illegal in bicycle lanes, when the road traffic here is murderous, ggrrr :cry2:

ps. l wonder what the motor wattage is nowadays, on Garrie's DYU ??

3600w

Garrie :eff006f726: now that you know the glorious Singapore Government has banned all PEV/EV including your beloved DYU :wub: do you advocate putting all the fascists in Singapore against a wall & shooting them ??

If not, perhaps you wouldn't mind too much if we send all of our fascists over to live with you on your beautiful clean island, where they can be nice & safe :cry2::blink1::angry::cry2::cry2::w00t2:

Edited by stephenbadger

• 1 year later...

Hello!  My name is Dario, I'm Italian and I don't speak English very well.  I use google translate.  I have an excellent DYU D3 +!  I have done 280km in two weeks, but now I have error E003 on the display.  The app connected with bluetooth says that everything is ok at check, but after pedaling hard downhill, a kind of engine brake is activated that does not make me accelerate or pedal.  If I unplug the motor I can pedal like a normal bicycle but if I plug it back in the wheel becomes very heavy, very braking.  What do i need to replace? I have buy this bicycle used.

• 2 months later...

Hi @Garrie Lim, Teddy here from KL. I was wondering where you got the parts for the steering damper for your dyu. I need to add one for mine. Would be great if you could share. Malaysia no place to help modify or add accessories. So Im a bit stumped on how to add one myself.

• Like 1