Edit : MCM5 800Wh (p.2)

Hi guys,

I’m a rider from France and I would like to have advices from your comunity to choose beetween this two wheels. 

I have around 10000km with my Solowheel Classic. I go to work every day in Solowheel, it’s represent about 8km a day and sometimes 16km when I return home to eat 😀

I really like the MCM5 but I’m worried about the 14” wheel. The road I take is made of bitum, so I think it’s ok but I’m not sure for the confort. 

I really like the Tesla but the weight is a little bit high (19kg!) and is she really more powerfull?

Thank you for advices,

Laurent

Edited by Boubalou

I commute ~12km each way everyday. Last year was on a MCM4 680 an this year on a Tesla 1050. Both  were more then adequate for the trip. Tesla is much faster, but you are comparing MCM5 to Tesla, so the Tesla may not have as much advantage over MCM5 as it has over MCM4.

I suspect that both models that you are looking at will go the same distance even tho Tesla has a bigger battery since I'm finding that my Tesla uses more power to go the same distance as my MCM4.

In your position I would buy the cheaper one.

The only thing that would sway me to buy a more expensive unit would be the battery pack configuration: xPyS, always choose the largest x that is offered.

• Upvote 2

Thank you for your help! I think the best choice is to try both to decide because my perfect wheel doesn't exist but it's impossible before to buy, the seller is too far.

Like I have a Solowheel in 16", I'm worried about the 14" tire and MCM5 plastics seems so bad in real !?

I don't understand why recent wheels are so big and heavy compare to the tires. They are bigger and bigger, for exemple the Z10 with 26kg!!!

• Upvote 1

I  am in the same quandry. I have a 2 year old Gotway MCM3. The problems for me with the MCM3 are pedal dip in turns, lowness to the ground to start with and small pedals. Does the MCM5 improve on these. I have seen on some Youtube videos that the Tesla suffers pedal dip. I want to upgrade and I was thinking 16". I only use it for my own enjoyment and in Western Australia there is nowhere to test ride. I am following this thread with interest.

4 hours ago, chopsywa said:

I  am in the same quandry. I have a 2 year old Gotway MCM3. The problems for me with the MCM3 are pedal dip in turns, lowness to the ground to start with and small pedals. Does the MCM5 improve on these. I have seen on some Youtube videos that the Tesla suffers pedal dip. I want to upgrade and I was thinking 16". I only use it for my own enjoyment and in Western Australia there is nowhere to test ride. I am following this thread with interest.

6 hours ago, Boubalou said:

Thank you for your help! I think the best choice is to try both to decide because my perfect wheel doesn't exist but it's impossible before to buy, the seller is too far.

Like I have a Solowheel in 16", I'm worried about the 14" tire and MCM5 plastics seems so bad in real !?

I don't understand why recent wheels are so big and heavy compare to the tires. They are bigger and bigger, for exemple the Z10 with 26kg!!!

I've crashed my MCM5 multiple times. Relative to the Tesla it feels like a more robust wheel/shell. It certainly scratches, but in no way does it feel fragile. The center strip of clear plastic on the Tesla (that hides the ring lights) has popped off the Tesla during at least one crash. But even the Tesla shell has withstood abuse very well.

The MCM5 pedals are the same ones that ship on the ACM, Tesla, and Monster. They are generally considered comfortable pedals. And if they really bothered you, the very large MSuper pedals could be installed (pedals are interchangeable among the Gotway wheels).

Pedal dip is considered a function of proper wheel calibration - if your wheel calibration is not done properly, you'll get some pedal dip on turns.

Much has been written about the MCM5 and Tesla here, in dedicated threads. I own both and they are great wheels. Comparing them is apples to oranges because one is much smaller than the other.

I think you need to decide if you want the most powerful 14-inch or 16-inch wheel on the planet, and then buy the MCM5 or Tesla.

Edited by Marty Backe
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

@Marty Backe How comfortable do you find the mcm5 to be for your ankles/shins etc.

I generally like my mcm4 (pedals are too small for my size 11/12 feet though) but the placement of that gotway logo and the lack of any padding on the mcm5 is a bit of a turn off compared to the KS14S or 16S which look like they would be more comfortable to ride.  I'm hoping KS comes out with a wheel that competes with the MCM5 when i'm ready to buy a new wheel in a year or so because the gotway doesn't appeal to me very much from a looks or a comfort perspective

On 12/2/2018 at 4:54 PM, meepmeepmayer said:

So: getting a Tesla is the "better" choice (16 incher, more stable, faster), unless you somehow would like the MCM5 better - then get the MCM5:efee47c9c8:

31271187797_72f09fc89f_b.jpg

9 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

I think you need to decide if you want the most powerful 14-inch or 16-inch wheel on the planet, and then buy the MCM5 or Tesla.

I think if you were pressed Marty you would choose tbe MCM5. It’s a stable high torque powerhouse that is highly maneuverable and a blast to ride.

As for myself I would not have any issues riding the MCM5 over the same identical terrain encountered by the Tesla. Both handle on/off roads and trails with ease but the short squatty structure and stance of the MCM5 gives me a comfortable sensation of feeling more grounded. 

Edited by Rehab1
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

I think if you were pressed Marty you would choose tbe MCM5. It’s a stable high torque powerhouse that is highly maneuverable and a blast to ride.

As for myself I would not have any issues riding the MCM5 over the same identical terrain encountered by the Tesla. Both handle on/off roads and trails with ease but the short squatty structure and stance of the MCM5 gives me a comfortable sensation of feeling more grounded. 

For cruising I would prefer the Tesla. But for outings around town and mountainous trail riding I'm grabbing the MCM5.

Hey Dan, if you missed the recent discussion (in one of the thousand threads that I follow :unsure:) on soft vs hard mode, try the MCM5 in soft mode. I just got turned on to this (by default I pick hard mode) by @houseofjob. The MCM5 seems more enjoyable in this mode - it's my new MCM5 default.

Edited by Marty Backe
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Marty I watched  your video series on learning backwards riding. You did this on an 18" wheel and you said how much easier it was to learn. I have a 14" MCM3. It is one uncomfortable wheel for reasons I stated above and also because it has the old style shell (like the generic you started your backwards video on) that causes your ankle bones and your shins to get very sore. I was thinking I should go up to the 16" Ttesla and now after reading your assessments (video series not withstanding), I am wondering if I should stay with the 14" and go to an MCM5. It is all very confusing. Can you take corners on the 14" with reasonable speed and without your foot dragging on the ground? I am struggling with backwards too and I thought the 16" might be better for that, but I don't want to buy a wheel for one purpose. I only get to have one, so I want it to be the best all-rounder. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

I wouldn't put any money on KS coming out with a MCM5 challenger. Why wait when you can own an MCM5 today?

I figured KingSong with it's generally higher reliability and safety record would be a better candidate for getting around campus and managing the hills around where I live.

Less risk of cut outs and better tilt back handling/speed warning handling.

I'm not super experienced with many wheels so maybe things have changed?  My impression from what I had read in various things on this forum was that KingSong tended to be a bit safer.

I managed to snag a used, almost new (4 months old) 340wh mcm4 hs version with less than 30 miles on it for $300 (seemed like a good deal) and it's generally pretty great but that battery voltage drop when going up hill really worries me.  I'm not trying to up at full speed but I can be showing green power level, like 80% at the bottom of the hill and as soon as I start going up it will drop down to the 30% range, sometimes even 20% range on wheellog.  Makes me worry that it will cut out, really wish I had the extra 340wh battery in there for 680wh. 

Is this voltage drop/battery percentage drop normal when going up hills.  When i'm back on a flat surface it will go back to showing like 75% or so.

Anyways the mcm4 tides me over for now but my hope was that king song would come out with something similar to a 14S that was basically a 14S with a motor as powerful as the mcm5.

If kingSong had a 1500w 14S do you think you would prefer that over the mcm5 or would you still prefer the gotway

Edited by Heyzeus
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Heyzeus said:

I figured KingSong with it's generally higher reliability and safety record would be a better candidate for getting around campus and managing the hills around where I live.

Less risk of cut outs and better tilt back handling/speed warning handling.

I'm not super experienced with many wheels so maybe things have changed?  My impression from what I had read in various things on this forum was that KingSong tended to be a bit safer.

I managed to snag a used, almost new (4 months old) 340wh mcm4 hs version with less than 30 miles on it for $300 (seemed like a good deal) and it's generally pretty great but that battery voltage drop when going up hill really worries me.  I'm not trying to up at full speed but I can be showing green power level, like 80% at the bottom of the hill and as soon as I start going up it will drop down to the 30% range, sometimes even 20% range on wheellog.  Makes me worry that it will cut out, really wish I had the extra 340wh battery in there for 680wh. 

Is this voltage drop/battery percentage drop normal when going up hills.  When i'm back on a flat surface it will go back to showing like 75% or so.

Anyways the mcm4 tides me over for now but my hope was that king song would come out with something similar to a 14S that was basically a 14S with a motor as powerful as the mcm5.

If kingSong had a 1500w 14S do you think you would prefer that over the mcm5 or would you still prefer the gotway

Yes, all indications are that KingSong wheels are built to a higher standard. Yet if you aren't pushing wheels to their extremes, they are all very safe (for an electric unicycle that has no inherent redundancy). I've never experience an out-of-the-blue wheel failure yet (knock on wood).

The MCM5 has very robust electronics, only matched (not exceeded) by the MSX. During my mountain stress tests I've shown how it has more torque than any other wheel in existence (I'm not exaggerating) and runs cooler than any other wheel. It just may be the toughest wheel yet made.

You absolutely cannot compare the MCM4 to the MCM5. Different beasts entirely.

I can't answer your theoretical question so easily. I suppose if KingSong had a wheel that was identical to the MCM5 except with the KingSong build quality, then yes I would certainly buy the KingSong version. But that wouldn't be the case. I think the MCM5 is unique in its shape which contributes to the great handling.

Remember that KingSong has never produced a wheel that matches the performance of Gotway wheels. So based on that track record I have my doubts that they will have and MCM5 killer. And frankly, KingSong has such a long release cycle (look how long it took them to finally get the KS18L into peoples hands) that by the time they release their next 14-inch wheel, the MCM6 will probably be available. I'm serious.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

I feel for you. I know it's a tough decision.

Only a lot! I am leaning toward the MCM5 though with its sleek profile. It looks really comfortable and I like the sound of it being so tough. Thanks for the tips.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Hey Dan, if you missed the recent discussion (in one of the thousand threads that I follow :unsure:) on soft vs hard mode, try the MCM5 in soft mode. I just got turned on to this (by default I pick hard mode) by @houseofjob. The MCM5 seems more enjoyable in this mode - it's my new MCM5 default.

Sorry I did miss that discussion. Thanks for the advice. I will give it a try.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Is the Tesla 850Wh a 84V wheel or a 67.2V wheel? I wouldn't buy a 67V variant. edit: Looks like it is 84V, so it's good.

What is the effective difference between 84v and 67v, like say the battery capacity is.the same, what does 84v give you that 67v doesn't.  Is it just a higher safety margin for handling current spikes?  Or does it result in a wheel with more power/torque?

I have a an MCM5 and a Tesla in my cart. Can't pull the trigger. I do wish more people in Aus had these so I could see one. The MCM5 looks like it would be so comfortable with that narrow profile and sloping sides. The Tesla is such a bruiser, but I wonder if I would have to hang my feet outside the pedals like I do on my MCM3 to clear the sides. Eeny meeny miny moe. 🤔

1 hour ago, chopsywa said:

I have a an MCM5 and a Tesla in my cart. Can't pull the trigger. I do wish more people in Aus had these so I could see one. The MCM5 looks like it would be so comfortable with that narrow profile and sloping sides. The Tesla is such a bruiser, but I wonder if I would have to hang my feet outside the pedals like I do on my MCM3 to clear the sides. Eeny meeny miny moe. 🤔

If you really want to clear the sides that'll be tough with the Tesla. It's a relatively wide wheel (compared to something like the V10F) with a tall shell.

The MCM5 shell absolutely does not touch your legs. It's a beautiful design in that regards. It tapers gently up and away from your legs. The MCM5 is one of the only wheels that makes it easy not to touch the sides as you ride.

• Upvote 2

51 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

The MCM5 is one of the only wheels that makes it easy not to touch the sides as you ride.

Ha ha. Yes I saw that on your videos and while it makes you look dorky like an awkward teenager when your knees touch it looks like it would be super comfy to ride. 🤣. The obvious answer is get both, but that's not going to wash.

Edited by chopsywa
Typo
  • Like 1

My mcm5 came today from ewheels. I put some slime in and pumped it up to 45psi. I was going to take it to work tomorrow but thought I should try it out first. Had about 30% battery.

My only other wheel is a 16s that just hit 600miles. I'm glad I tried it before just going to work. It is very different. When it leans it feels like turning the wheel in a car of that makes any sense. After about 5 min I was making very tight figure 8s. This wheel will turn much tighter than the 16s before the pedals touch. After getting some of the freshness off the tire I started turning at higher speeds and it felt great! 

I honestly was worried about build quality. I dont knkw anyone else with a wheel and it is alway stated that kingsong is better and they are but not nearly as bad as I was expecting. The trolly handle feels cheap but it doesnt wiggle like my 16s. It doesn't creak when mounting and I didnt hear any rattles. 

I really like the way the acceleration and breaking feels. It's very smooth, I guess that is the fabled "gotway glide". I was not expecting a 14in wheel to feel so smooth. It is stable,  but can also turn quicker than your leaning. In those first 5 min I almost hopped off and grabbed it from having the wheel turn way faster than I was ready for. 

I can see why this wheel isnt really a good fit if you dont have or never rode one before but if you already have a 16 or 18in wheel I can't imagine adding the mcm5 being a regretted decision.  

I really have to thank Marty for taking the plunge on this one, and I dont understand why there isnt a review on ewheels.  

I have side pads coming so I'll be trying this both ways, so far my little half hr session in front of the house in the dark just confirmed that this wheel doesnt need them. My dad on the other hand I know will prefer it with the pads. He has less than 20 miles under his belt and only gets to play with a wheel once a week tops. 

In still a little sad I couldn't get the ACM2 1600wh. More sad now after riding my first gotway. I hope they didnt drop it to replace it with the gotmotionbot in the other thread. 

I'll update more after I have some miles on her. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1