Edit : MCM5 800Wh (p.2)

6 minutes ago, Boubalou said:

ED, it’s on an other wheel, it can’t be a MCM5.

Surprisingly, it is possible to reach those speeds. Here is a video that was posted a while ago. Cut off speed was 52 Km/h

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ED209 said:

Surprisingly, it is possible to reach those speeds. Here is a video that was posted a while ago. Cut off speed was 52 Km/h

Jesus! that looked awful.  A love the way the two pedestrians did ABSOLUTELY NOTHING.

• Like 1

Thanks @Smoother . I recalibrated with it vertical yesterday and it does seem less inclined to flop about. I do like tilt back though and I was having a lot of trouble getting that to work properly. I had set it up to 33km/h and it was still tilting at around 24km/h. I have resolved that now and I think the issue is that Wheellog does not adjust it. The setting is there and the wheel beeps when you change the speed, but it does not do anything. The trick is to use the Gotway app to do all the setup and then exit and go back to Wheellog. It is sweet now and I did a 25km ride today with 55% battery remaining indicated at the end. My average speed was 20km/h and my peak speed was 31.6km/h. Very happy with this wheel now it is dialed in and I have had a chance to get accustomed to it. The slim design is a winner as I have said before, but the power! That translates to a rock solid feeling up hill and down dale. It just does not move (on hard setting). It is a terrific wheel.

Edited by chopsywa
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Chopsywa happy to see that all is ok now. 

Yes yourtoys, I’m 68 kg and with a full charged battery the wheel began to beep (80% alarm) around 38 km/h but it’s always very stable, I never feel in danger... 

I’m so happy with this wheels. Today I received the two pads, I will do a try next week with to see if I can tighten the wheels and continue at high speed when the road is well bumpy. 

Also I would like to know if someone have a solution for water projection. We can easily think that the wheel is well covered but in fact no. This morning I was completely dirty in my back when I arrive to the job.

You can see here a picture which shows that the protection is not low enough...

7DF0658B-887A-455D-ACB8-E375CB71570A.jpeg

Edited by Boubalou
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Heyzeus said:

I saw somewhere (wish I remembered where and I would link it) where someone made a mudguard out of a flexible piece of plastic that they attached using some 3m type tape.

Perhaps something like this mudguard could be modified to fit

Now that you mention it, I wonder if @EUC GUY's new cork based MSuper mudguard would work on the MCM5. I'll have to take a look tonight.

• Like 1

On 1/9/2019 at 9:54 PM, Marty Backe said:

Now that you mention it, I wonder if @EUC GUY's new cork based MSuper mudguard would work on the MCM5. I'll have to take a look tonight.

Hi Marty,

Have you do a try to see if Msuper mudguard worked on the MCM5 ?

Yesterday was a sad day, the Solowheel is dead! These last days I learned the wheel to my wife, and as she was doing well I proposed a ride and I had the good idea to go along a river. I leave my wife hand to change sides and go to the side of the river, and as I slow down to pass behind her, she was unbalanced, she jumped and the wheel continued alone in the river 😄.

It took less than 2 seconds for it to sink and sink forever into bubbling bubbles. I could have come back and tried to fish it but it will make a better fish reef 🥴

Before leaving for the ride, I looked for something to hang the wheel to his pants but I found nothing fast so I did not look...

I’m looking to buy another wheel, perhaps with good opportunity a KS14s or KS16s.

I fall two times in the life of my Solowheel, and in this two times I arrived to jump and run but the wheel have done a big distance before to stop. The second time I arrive to sprint and take the wheel !!! 

For the third time I see this, I would like to find a solution to hang the wheel, I imagine if it hits a child! I think of something like a dog leash but with a carabiner instead of the handle. Do you have an idea ?

Edited by Boubalou
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Boubalou said:

Hi Marty,

Yesterday was a sad day, the Solowheel is dead! These last days I learned the wheel to my wife, and as she was doing well I proposed a ride and I had the good idea to go along a river. I leave my wife hand to change sides and go to the side of the river, and as I slow down to pass behind her, she was unbalanced, she jumped and the wheel continued alone in the river 😄.

It took less than 2 seconds for it to sink and sink forever into bubbling bubbles. I could have come back and tried to fish it but it will make a better fish reef 🥴

Before leaving for the ride, I looked for something to hang the wheel to his pants but I found nothing fast so I did not look...

I’m looking to buy another wheel, perhaps with good opportunity a KS14s or KS16s.

I fall two times in the life of my Solowheel, and in this two times I arrived to jump and run but the wheel have done a big distance before to stop. The second time I arrive to sprint and take the wheel !!! 

For the third time I see this, I would like to find a solution to hang the wheel, I imagine if it hits a child! I think of something like a dog leash but with a carabiner instead of the handle. Do you have an idea ?

Wow, that's so sad (and your story is funny :)) about the Solowheel. I think about this sometimes when I'm riding next to a river :cry2:

Just now I grabbed my extra EUC Guy MSuper mudflat and took it to the MCM5. Yes, it does look it would attach nicely. I haven't done so because the MCM5 has good enough protection for me.

Edited by Marty Backe

1 hour ago, Boubalou said:

Hi Marty,

If possible you should recover that wheel.  Over time the batteries will corrode and leach nasty chemicals into the water.  It would be the right thing to do to prevent this.  The environment is everyone's problem, especially if we ourselves cause a negative situation to exist.

Thank you Marty, I will buy one.

Yes Smoother, it’s the only thing why I’m sad know, because the wheel was at his end life and it’s not important for that...

Like it was near a lock, I went to the office to warn but there was no one, the office is closed the weekend and as the wheel continued alone, I can give a distance around 10 meters but not better when I come back to see if I can do something. 

The river is completely black, I don’t know the deepth, hard to climb, I can’t take the risk to go in the river for that 😕

I burned all my credits for this 6 years no car pollution 😖

Edited by Boubalou
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Boubalou said:

I burned all my credits for this 6 years no car pollution 😖

:roflmao: It's always something.  Maybe when the lock keeper comes back to work you can advise them.  There is probably a maintenance crew that keeps the river clear.  they can keep an eye out for it. Don't tell them it's your wheel.

On 1/14/2019 at 5:54 AM, Boubalou said:

I leave my wife hand to change sides and go to the side of the river, and as I slow down to pass behind her, she was unbalanced, she jumped and the wheel continued alone in the river 😄.

Sad and funny Boubalou. I have been taking my old MCM3 on the boat nearly every time I go out as it is great to get around the local holiday island. I load up and go out onto the floating jetty on my wheel. I have done this for 2 years without losing it, but it is always on my mind that one day. glug glug glug. :)

There's these offroad/winter tires with rubber knobs which work pretty well unless it's hard ice.

https://eunicycles.eu/en/tires/113-14-inch-winter-tire-duro.html

https://www.electricunicycles.eu/14_winter_off_road_tire_(tyre)_for_electric_unicycle_and_bike_(black)-c__312

Not sure about a tire with metal spikes/studs. Never seen one.

If you find an interesting new tire, post it in the Tire Thread:) (3rd post is my description of the tire from the second link).

I saw the Speedyfeet review of MCM5 and it seems to go 32km on one charging and 6 hours of charging time.

My MCM4 goes 32km without problem with avg. speed 25kmh and with 3 hours of charging time.

How come the MCM5 does not go longer? Or does it go 32km with avg. speed of 35kmh and my MCM4 goes 32km with avg. speed of 25kmh?
Does that mean that if I ride at 25kmh with the MCM5, it will go much longer than the MCM4 at the same speed, or how is this measured?

Ian from Speedyfeet always gets horrible horrible range in all his tests (there is no good explanation, he must be cursed or something;)). These ranges aren't comparable to the normal ranges you'd get for the wheels he tested.

So if the MCM5 battery is x% bigger than the battery in your MCM4, you would get x% more range with the MCM5 (same riding speed, of course).

There's no systematic way to test a wheel's range because it depends so much on the rider weight and speed (and on whether the rider is cursed, apparently;)). But most people ("normal" riders) get about the same range for a certain battery size. For an 80kg rider at 30ph, a realistic estimate for the 800Wh MCM5 is ~40km range.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Ian from Speedyfeet always gets horrible horrible range in all his tests (there is no good explanation, he must be cursed or something;)). These ranges aren't comparable to the normal ranges you'd get for the wheels he tested.

So if the MCM5 battery is x% bigger than the battery in your MCM4, you would get x% more range with the MCM5 (same riding speed, of course).

There's no systematic way to test a wheel's range because it depends so much on the rider weight and speed (and on whether the rider is cursed, apparently;)). But most people ("normal" riders) get about the same range for a certain battery size. For an 80kg rider at 30ph, a realistic estimate for the 800Wh MCM5 is ~40km range.

Thank you, that was the answer I expected! Otherwise it would have been so non-logical :) The only difference is the weight of 16kg instead of 14kg which should not make it break even.

3 hours ago, Yffisch said:

I saw the Speedyfeet review of MCM5 and it seems to go 32km on one charging and 6 hours of charging time.

My MCM4 goes 32km without problem with avg. speed 25kmh and with 3 hours of charging time.

How come the MCM5 does not go longer? Or does it go 32km with avg. speed of 35kmh and my MCM4 goes 32km with avg. speed of 25kmh?
Does that mean that if I ride at 25kmh with the MCM5, it will go much longer than the MCM4 at the same speed, or how is this measured?

What @meepmeepmayer just said above. I want to add that I've ridden 41.6 km's on my 640wh MCM5. That ride had a maximum speed of 37km/h and an average moving speed of 20.8km/h   My riding weight is ~80kg

Obviously the 840wh version would be much better.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

I did hear him say in one of his range tests that he doesn't go for max range but rides hard and over various surfaces, to get a minimum realistic range.  He also does a lot of his testing at very low temperatures, so this has a negative effect on range too. So if Ian says he got 32km you're pretty safe in assuming you will get at least that, and probably a lot more

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Can someone please do a lift test on the MCM5 800wh version with no load? Just want to know what maximum speed is reached, again with no load and 100% battery 🤔