Edit : MCM5 800Wh (p.2)

36 minutes ago, Flying W said:

My mcm5 came today from ewheels. I put some slime in and pumped it up to 45psi. I was going to take it to work tomorrow but thought I should try it out first. Had about 30% battery.

My only other wheel is a 16s that just hit 600miles. I'm glad I tried it before just going to work. It is very different. When it leans it feels like turning the wheel in a car of that makes any sense. After about 5 min I was making very tight figure 8s. This wheel will turn much tighter than the 16s before the pedals touch. After getting some of the freshness off the tire I started turning at higher speeds and it felt great! 

I honestly was worried about build quality. I dont knkw anyone else with a wheel and it is alway stated that kingsong is better and they are but not nearly as bad as I was expecting. The trolly handle feels cheap but it doesnt wiggle like my 16s. It doesn't creak when mounting and I didnt hear any rattles. 

I really like the way the acceleration and breaking feels. It's very smooth, I guess that is the fabled "gotway glide". I was not expecting a 14in wheel to feel so smooth. It is stable,  but can also turn quicker than your leaning. In those first 5 min I almost hopped off and grabbed it from having the wheel turn way faster than I was ready for. 

I can see why this wheel isnt really a good fit if you dont have or never rode one before but if you already have a 16 or 18in wheel I can't imagine adding the mcm5 being a regretted decision.  

I really have to thank Marty for taking the plunge on this one, and I dont understand why there isnt a review on ewheels.  

I have side pads coming so I'll be trying this both ways, so far my little half hr session in front of the house in the dark just confirmed that this wheel doesnt need them. My dad on the other hand I know will prefer it with the pads. He has less than 20 miles under his belt and only gets to play with a wheel once a week tops. 

In still a little sad I couldn't get the ACM2 1600wh. More sad now after riding my first gotway. I hope they didnt drop it to replace it with the gotmotionbot in the other thread. 

I'll update more after I have some miles on her. 

Yes, I don't think the MCM5 is for beginners - it's an advanced wheel. Glad you're liking yours so far :thumbup:

BTW, keep an eye for group ride announcements. We ride down in your area periodically. Quite a few riders there.

Edited by Marty Backe
  • Upvote 1

@chopsywa You already mentioned the obvious solution, getting both;) As you have to decide, do what your gut says. Or maybe go over what you'd use the wheel for. More fun (nimble, torque-y 14 incher MCM5) or more serious (5 mile commute every day on a 16 incher)? Anyways, you're not in a hurry, so take your time and enjoy the decision process.

Logically, the Tesla might be the better wheel - 16 inch standard size, allrounder, little bit more battery/range. But somehow the MCM5 is just so nice... hard to decide!

@Flying W Good info! I wasn't thinking much of the MCM5 before Marty's video as well. To me the older MCMs always seemed like second-rate wheels compared to the 16 or 18 inchers. Weaker motor, comparably expensive for what you get, design etc. But the MCM5 seems to be a powerhouse joy like only Gotway builds. I find myself wanting one quite often, despite having no clear use case for it.

Edited by meepmeepmayer
spelling
  • Like 1

First ride this morning was to work. Definitely feels different not having my legs touching anything. Not bad just different, I kind of like it though. 

This wheel magnifies and turning preference you may have. With only 630 miles under me in about 3 months I still favor turning right. The mcm5 makes it very obvious that I dont turn my shoulders as much turning left. 

The funny part was getting the wobbles at 21mph and having to slow down to 12 for them to go away.  Riding too stiff. 

@ED209 , it really does feel like a more nimble 16in wheel, even over sharp bumps like sidewalk joints the difference was minimal.  

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

On 12/6/2018 at 3:54 PM, Marty Backe said:

The MCM5 pedals are the same ones that ship on the ACM, Tesla, and Monster. They are generally considered comfortable pedals. And if they really bothered you, the very large MSuper pedals could be installed (pedals are interchangeable among the Gotway wheels).

this is interesting... what are the dimensions of the ACM pedals relative to Msuper

40 minutes ago, Siggy said:

this is interesting... what are the dimensions of the ACM pedals relative to Msuper

I don't have dimensions handy, but there are a ton of pictures out there on the two pedal types, along with comparison pictures. A little Googling should get you what you want.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, ED209 said:

One wheel isn't enough!

That’s exactly what @Marty Backe said a few years ago. His stable of 11 wheels        ( did I miss any) is not enough. :P This sport can be addictive. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, chopsywa said:

Well trigger pulled. A MCM5 800Wh on its way. Thanks for all the great feedback guys.

Congrat's. Be sure to drop us a line to let us know what you think of it.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Wow, thank you for all this very interesting informations! 

In my dream I have a MCM5 16” :))

My first inquiry about the MCM5 is the 14” wheel but I read here that the MCM5 is so powerful that it’s a little bit as a 16” wheel.

My solowheel is very good but I’m always looking for rising small bumps because she don’t has power. I always became lighter :) when I’m rising a bump else I need to decrease speed and at the maximum speed, now approximately 10 miles (snif snif) I don’t want to decrease my speed.

So for sure I need to buy a MCM5, because  she is :

- lighter (I think it’s the maximum weight to be confortable in my use)

- earlier and nice :)

- has the button at the hand to cut the motor (sorry I don’t have the word, my English is so poor). It’s also a very good option for my all days use. 

Now I have two choice to buy. In France the 800wh isn’t sold, so I can buy the 800wh model in China for 1000$ with 60 days delivery, or the 650wh model in France for 1400$ with 7 days delivery... I think the 800wh is perfect for security because in my use I will be always at more than 50% battery. Tomorrow I will ask to French sellers if they can do a special order but I don’t think or perhaps with 60 days delivery... 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Boubalou said:

Now I have two choice to buy. In France the 800wh isn’t sold, so I can buy the 800wh model in China for 1000$ with 60 days delivery, or the 650wh model in France for 1400$ with 7 days delivery... I think the 800wh is perfect for security because in my use I will be always at more than 50% battery. Tomorrow I will ask to French sellers if they can do a special order but I don’t think or perhaps with 60 days delivery... 

800Wh!!!

Speedyfeet has the MCM5 800Wh. Does he not ship to France because of some stupid (illegal in EU) Gotway sales restrictions?

1400€ https://www.speedyfeet.co.uk/collections/electric-unicycle/products/mcm5

• 2 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, Boubalou said:

Thank you meepmeep, I’ve ordered this afternoon on speedyfeet after few days to choose with all this elements. 

I was at two finger to order a KS16S for her serious and very high secure products but she is 2 years old now and the difference between motors are so big with MCM5 ! I’m impatient to see the evolution of the Ks16S, I’m pretty sure it will be my next wheel. 

I read the Marty faceplant on his Tesla, and it froze me for a Gotway. I forgive, but at a medium speed, it’s normally not! 

Finally I give my chance to Gotway and I decided to take the risk of lower reliability to have more speed, I know, it’s a little bit crazy...

So, the winner iiiiiiiiissss a MCM5 800Wh!!!! :)

I’m so exited to try. Imagine the new world for me. An old 6 years Solowheel at 15/18 kmph max whithout any power, and always afraid to don’t have battery after 9km 😁 and now waiting for a MCM5. 

Big big thanks to my Solowheel who was always at maximum capacity sometimes with an near empty batterie without any fall. Not a performing wheel but for a 6 years wheel and all weekdays use, for sure a so big reliability !

thank you all for the community helps 

Congrat's :cheers: I think you are going to be very impressed with the MCM5. It's going to be an amazing change from the Solowheel.

Please let me know what you think of it after you get it and ride for a bit.

• Like 1

Thank you Marty,

I’m sure to be impressed ! And yes, I will do a new post to help at my turn the EUC community giving my feedback. 

Edit : Gotway must to thank you to have a free ambassador like you. Your mountain stress tests finished to convinces me.

Edited by Boubalou
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Boubalou said:

Thank you Marty,

I’m sure to be impressed ! And yes, I will do a new post to help at my turn the EUC community giving my feedback. 

Edit : Gotway must to thank you to have a free ambassador like you. Your mountain stress tests finished to convinces me.

I'm pretty sure that Gotway doesn't know that I exist :)  No matter.

Glad that my mountain stress test videos were useful to you. The MCM5 really surprised me when I climbed those hills.

Looking forward to your feedback :popcorn:

• Like 1

The MCM5 is such an incredible wheel. So much power and immediate instant torque. I am also getting one myself.

• Like 1

I have 102 miles on mine now, boubalou, ed209, you both will not be disappointed at all! 

If Marty didnt spearhead this one for us I dont know how many of us would have one. 

Marty, please do a range test when you get your 800wh battery. 19 miles of mixed terrain left me with 46% at rest, dipping into the low 30s under hard acceleration.  Ave speed was pretty low for the trip at 11mph. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Flying W said:

I have 102 miles on mine now, boubalou, ed209, you both will not be disappointed at all! 

If Marty didnt spearhead this one for us I dont know how many of us would have one. 

Marty, please do a range test when you get your 800wh battery. 19 miles of mixed terrain left me with 46% at rest, dipping into the low 30s under hard acceleration.  Ave speed was pretty low for the trip at 11mph. 

I do plan on a range test if I ever get the upgrade. I'm curious to see how it compares to the 840wh KS14S, where I got 40 miles once with 20% battery remaining.

22 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

I do plan on a range test if I ever get the upgrade. I'm curious to see how it compares to the 840wh KS14S, where I got 40 miles once with 20% battery remaining.

That's really good! I'm down in mission viejo so it's never really flat. I managed 29 miles with 28% remaining at rest on my 16s, also 840wh. Riding weight is just under 200lbs

I think the biggest hindrance to the mcm5s range is the crazy acceleration. Its addictive,  I've also dropped to 30% at rest in 12 miles. I was in shock how fast it would climb a dirt trail up to a lookout point, and all without getting hot. 

My 16s will go into the low 60s on the same climb but the mcm5 only hit 55c. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Flying W said:

That's really good! I'm down in mission viejo so it's never really flat. I managed 29 miles with 28% remaining at rest on my 16s, also 840wh. Riding weight is just under 200lbs

I think the biggest hindrance to the mcm5s range is the crazy acceleration. Its addictive,  I've also dropped to 30% at rest in 12 miles. I was in shock how fast it would climb a dirt trail up to a lookout point, and all without getting hot. 

My 16s will go into the low 60s on the same climb but the mcm5 only hit 55c. 

Yeah, the MCM5 runs cool for sure. You're correct that when you use all of the power for acceleration fun, it's going to kill your range. But I didn't really get the MCM5 for range - more for fun :D

• Like 2

Marty's 18 mph faceplant has nothing to do with Gotway! He overlooked a bump in the path. Would have happened with every wheel.

The new Gotways (with the new TO-247 mosfet board) seem to be very very good. MCM5 is the only wheel with no problem reported at all (in ewheels). MSX with the same board pushed a car for 6 minutes before giving up!

• Like 3

Wow, speedyfeet seems really serious!!! Without any regret to pay a little bit more than Aliexpress to have good services.

At the order I have a problem with my computer to valid my VAT number, I sent an email to contact them and 10 minutes later I have an answer from them to solve.

Now I've had a Fedex mail to say me that the scheduled delivery is the 28/12 ! Yeeeeeeeeees she is on the way !!!

Meepmeep, yes you're right and it was in my balance to choose.

With all your messages I'm so excited to receive !!!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Boubalou said:

Wow, speedyfeet seems really serious!!! Without any regret to pay a little bit more than Aliexpress to have good services.

At the order I have a problem with my computer to valid my VAT number, I sent an email to contact them and 10 minutes later I have an answer from them to solve.

Now I've had a Fedex mail to say me that the scheduled delivery is the 28/12 ! Yeeeeeeeeees she is on the way !!!

Meepmeep, yes you're right and it was in my balance to choose.

With all your messages I'm so excited to receive !!!

I wonder why it's going to take so long to get to you? When I bought my wheels from Speedyfeet, it took literally 5-days from England to California. But I'm glad yours is on the way.

Me too...

On the website, shipping is not clear. I have four solutions : a free one whithout delivery date... the second one 20£ 4 days, a third one at 60£ one day delivery and a fourth one at 200£ also 1 day delivery (WTF) :)).

Like I have a Solowheel I don't need the MCM5 fast, so I choose the second option at 20£ to have a date of delivery and finally it's not 4 days but 10 days delivery... Perhaps I paid 20£ for nothing... After I was saying me that the delivery date are for England and not for France... Blablabla, I don't care, I have a wheel so it's the essential for the moment.

• Like 3