Edit : MCM5 800Wh (p.2)

• 6 months later...

I had to dig several pages to find the "general" MCM5 thread ... anyway, while getting my first real ride in since I just got the euc, I noticed a funny warble sound "WAHrrrWAHrrrWAHrrr", then I realized I felt like I was bouncing sometimes.  Sure enough when I got home, the tire has a 1-1.5mm off-center wobble (around the circumference, not axial) when on its side next to a chair leg.  It really wrecks the ride!  The bounce kinda resonates sometimes which is highly unsettling.  Going to deflate, massage the tire, and hope for the best on inflation.  Not sure how else to better center the tire on the rim.

My other issue is that one of the pedals is overly tight in the down position.  So, it doesn't flip all the way down until forced, and when down, it's very tight and doesn't fold up right away, like when I ditched it off-road today.

Another observation is that the pedals feel like they tilt forward when I corner, but I'm not sure, but that's the sensation compared to my MTen3 and 16X.  The tilt sensation is kinda all over the place actually.  My MTen3 pedals are rock solid compared to this MCM5.

UPDATE: My first attempt didn't change much, so the second attempt I rotated the tire 180 on the rim, and that got it close enough.  There's still a wahwahwah, so I guess that's inherit to the power circuitry algorithm.  I also bumped the psi from 30 to 45, it rolls pretty quick and feels more confident now.

Edited by xorbe

@xorbe I too had a "sticky" pedal when mine was new. I sanded the pedal a little where it was making contact with the pedal hanger. 

Pedal tilt is usually related to calibration. When calibrating you need to make sure the wheel is level left to right as perfect as you can get it. I've never been able to get the tilt to go completely away. Hard mode has the least tilt but it is still there. 

Lately I've been taking longer rides so I'm riding in soft mode with the tire at 54psi (4lbs over tire max) to get more range and soft mode to help with some of the bumps. 

I calibrate my pedals with a 3 degree rearward tilt (tilting back a little) to help with breaking on commute surprises and to combat some of the ground clearance lost to the forward tilt in corners. 

I have almost 2700 miles on my mcm5 and I ride it at least 5 times a week. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Flying W said:

@xorbe I too had a "sticky" pedal when mine was new. I sanded the pedal a little where it was making contact with the pedal hanger.

Yeah that's what I concluded, not enough clearance between pedal and hanger bracket.  I'll try to open the gap a little.

Welp, I was off road today, just bumbling along very slowly.  Was spaced out and caught a ditch and stepped off the wheel.  Not a big deal, just continued on.  Got home, realized the case was cracked, and the plastic was popped out from both sides!!!  Used a rubber mallet to get the tabs back in, and luckily the crack is small.  But what bad luck, it must have precisely landed on a rock exactly head on with maximum point pressure.  Man I was just toodling slowly on dirt and rocks, absolutely not in a hurry, 5-6 mph?  Already adding love dents!!!  It must have bounced up and come down hard, vs a forward velocity impact.

Edited by xorbe

So I calibrated my MCM5 such that the pedals are tilted back slightly, and then cornering levels the pedals out, which seems better than having the pedals level, then tilting forward in turns.  Tilting forward really throws me off, removes control.  So calibration doesn't affect the tilting behavior in general, that's a shame.  The MTen3 is rock solid.  I don't think I would recommend the MCM5 due to this pedal behavior.  I'm sure I can get used to it, but it seems wholly unnecessary unnaturalism ...

Edited by xorbe

Mine are pretty rock solid, the trick is keeping as perfectly level left to right when you calibrate.

I use a wall and get to just slightly tip away so when I hold it tight to the wall its its level....or as level as I can get it to be.

Even off just a tiny bit causes my pedals to less solid in the turns. Sometimes I'll calibrate, test ride for a second, and calibrate again until it get it just right. 

Its 2% luck, but that last 2% can be a real bitch sometimes. Good thing is it stays calibrated pretty good ....  until it tumbles :whistling:

• Like 1

Well then, I'm wondering if mine is defective.  It just seems awfully radical, and nobody would use the word solid to describe the pedals on my MCM5.  I have calibrated several times, and it's super easy to do with the handle extended.  I was trying low speed maneuvers, and the sudden tilt was basically nearly tossing me off the wheel, if calibrated level.  Slow sharp turn and bam the front drops.  I have got it set now with it split with half back / half forward ... but then it's never level.  I'm either backward or forward leaning.

That sounds like a defect to me. Even when my calibration is a little off there are zero sudden movements. It never feels like I'm going get ejected.

No matter what I do if I have a long turn (like a U-turn) going up hill my pedals will be tilted forward by the end of the turn but not by very much. Carving side to side or normal turns on a bike trail produce no movement whatsoever. 

I had to set the peddles back to level.  Otherwise, with the pedals calibrated to slightly back, I was getting dangerous fishtail wobbles before even the first warning beep.

I'm trying to come up with a way to record the amount of forward lean a turn causes so it can be quantified in degrees.

The death wobbles do go away eventually. When I got mine I couldnt understand what was going on, had 1k miles on my 16s but it didnt matter one bit on the smaller wheel.  I couldn't adjust my feet without it going into crazy wobbles even at modest speeds. 

I have come realize the the foot placement front to back is more sensitive on the mcm5. Too forward equals breaking wobbles and too far back is just wobbles period. 

I'm used to the wheel not being very stable now and ride at 22 to 26 mph a lot. I also have padding on the sides to contact my legs a little bit and that helped a lot. 

• 3 weeks later...

I got better with the fishtail wobbles, though I also played with tire pressure.  I changes pedals from soft to hard, and got my bubble level out and set the wheel to just a hair of tiltback (vs trying to eyeball it, I was way overdoing it).  I've been riding since then pretty happy for a couple weeks now.  I got up to 32 kph, that feels scary fast for me on this euc.  I vastly enjoy commuting on the MCM5 more vs the MTen3.  MCM5 tracks straight over surface imperfections where the MTen3 wants to dart left and right, etc.

• Like 1

After many miles its crazy how well the mcm5 rides even on the beep with a full charge. 

At my weight that's 26 mph or so. It will still cruise at 23 to 24 mph at half battery under load too. 

Smooth pathways are key of course! 

Glad your enjoying the wheel!

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Flying W said:

After many miles its crazy how well the mcm5 rides even on the beep with a full charge.

Hey can you explain the beeps?  I know 1st alarm is 2 beeps.  2nd alarm is 3 beeps.  What are the beep patterns and when after that?  You must have to disable tiltback which is limited to 36 kph (22.4 mph) per the app, if you are going 26 mph?  Not that I plan to do that, but I want to know.

Edited by xorbe
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, xorbe said:

Hey can you explain the beeps?  I know 1st alarm is 2 beeps.  2nd alarm is 3 beeps.  What are the beep patterns and when after that?  You must have to disable tiltback which is limited to 36 kph (22.4 mph) per the app, if you are going 26 mph?  Not that I plan to do that, but I want to know.

I have 1st n 2nd alarm disabled and I set tiltback to 45kph. I get the 3rd alarm on flat ground before tiltback but going down hill on a full charge I dont want to exceed the advertised top speed. 

Having on the 3rd alarm which is charge dependant and speed mean anytime I hear a beep I slow down a little. 

Where I do most of my riding is pretty smooth though so there are times, especially with no wind or a slight tail wind, where the 3rd alarm comes as a surprise because it really doesnt aeem like your going that fast. 

In places where it's more bumpy or unfamiliar I'm usually only going 12 to 18mph. The known paths that are perfect is the only place I cruise just under the 3rd alarm. 

For me, Foot placement is a bit touchy too. Too far back and it'll wobble durring normal riding and too far forward it'll wobble under breaking. I have about the same amount of overhang with my toes and heals. 

Back to alarms (sorry for the tangent haha) I like it set up with only the 3rd alarm. If it makes a noise just slow down. I do a lot if rides where I never hear it beep at all since conditions do need to be pretty ideal to go that fast on such a small wheel. 

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
1 hour ago, yuweng said:

Interesting concept :thumbup: Though you should have included a future proof design of upgradable to 5440WH battery pack of 18650/ 21700 or may be a 3/ 3.5 inch wide tyre :lol:

I will think about it :) Now the main thing is to put the pillows softer. And a folding handle for transportation. The weight, by the way, turned out to be the same as that of the stock shell.

• 4 months later...

MCM5 V2 (2.5") NOISE

Today I got this awesome EUC.
I was coming from a MCM5 V1 (great wheel but I was so tempted by the comfort of a 2.5" to go for an upgrade).
Everything is sooo good and I'm happy after short ride I've made today.

But... there's something that impressed me (coming from the old MCM5): the noise! of the fans!

Is it normal that they are so loud compared to the previous version? Immediately after you turn on the wheel they start making this noise and they keep going until you turn it off.
Not a big deal, riding you cannot hear that noise but when you stop...well... let's say it is impossibile to forget the wheel turned off when you come home :)

So, you MCM5 V2 owners are having the same experience?
Thanks so much.

• 2 weeks later...
On 03/10/2020 at 23:58, Snowball said:

BRUIT MCM5 V2 (2,5 ")

Aujourd'hui, j'ai cet EUC génial.
Je venais d'un MCM5 V1 (super roue mais j'étais tellement tenté par le confort d'un 2.5 "d'aller faire un surclassement).
Tout est tellement bon et je suis content après un court trajet que j'ai fait aujourd'hui.

Mais ... il y a quelque chose qui m'a impressionné (venant de l'ancien MCM5): le bruit! des fans!

Est-ce normal qu'ils soient si bruyants par rapport à la version précédente? Immédiatement après avoir allumé la roue, ils commencent à faire ce bruit et continuent jusqu'à ce que vous l'éteigniez.
Ce n'est pas grave, rouler on n'entend pas ce bruit mais quand on s'arrête ... enfin ... disons qu'il est impossible d'oublier la roue éteinte quand on rentre à la maison:)

Alors, vous les propriétaires de MCM5 V2 vivez la même expérience?
Merci beaucoup.

Hey, for me yes it's exactly the same. Listen here https://drive.google.com/file/d/1KxBdHWuR6Lmd1POGnCcMUf7dNhhQi9gI/view?usp=drivesdk

12 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

No, but I'd love to ...

I ordered mine but I won't have it for 1 month.  It is a version with bluetooth speaker and a shell modified to have a through handle.  I want to lend it to you for a test! ... you just have to come for a little tour in France ... 😂 OK?

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Sanchez said:

I ordered mine but I won't have it for 1 month.  It is a version with bluetooth speaker and a shell modified to have a through handle.  I want to lend it to you for a test! ... you just have to come for a little tour in France ... 😂 OK?

:laughbounce2:

• Like 1