Edit : MCM5 800Wh (p.2)

I keep getting tempted by this wheel but I tell myself to hold off and see what KingSong will have soon with their new 16x.

If this wheel had the same taper shaped shell, but came in a matte black/rubberized look material, had no fake vents, the handle hole went all the way through to the other side, and the shell was continuously rounded/the lines of each side were clean(like if the shell didn't have the gotway logo sticking out at the bottom and if the shell sides were smooth with none of those ridges or rectangular dips/cutouts) the wheel would look so much better (IMO) and I would have a much harder time resisting and probably would have bought one.

MCM5 Stealth

@Jason McNeil suggest to gotway that having different shell styles would be cool.Ā  I understand variety would probably have to be limited due to costs but maybe even 1 additional style with a rugged clean minimalistic look for their wheels would be a nice option for those who hate the default look.

Ā 

Edited by Heyzeus

3 minutes ago, Heyzeus said:

Get Thee behind me Satan

I know, i'll just buy an MCM5 and duct tape a king song shell over it, greatest mashup of all time

:laughbounce2:

1 hour ago, Heyzeus said:

I keep getting tempted by this wheel but I tell myself to hold off and see what KingSong will have soon with their new 16x.

:confused1:Ā 16X will be a totally different class of wheel, and much heavier due to the 1600Wh (I suspect taller than the current 16S due to this reason as well).

Ā 

the handle hole went all the way through to the other side,

Easy fix.

Just buy an extra set of shells, then replace the non-cutout side shell with the extra cutout side, sealing off the empty trolley handle stick holes somehow.

Ā 

@Jason McNeil suggest to gotway that having different shell styles would be cool.Ā  I understand variety would probably have to be limited due to costs but maybe even 1 additional style with a rugged clean minimalistic look for their wheels would be a nice option for those who hate the default look.

Never gonna happen (at least from the manufacturer direct).

You're basically asking them to pay 5-6 figures for a new mold, combined with new engineering problems like cooling, water penetration isolation, alternating/interlocking mirrored design to minimize on cost, shell integrity (or lack thereof, Gotway haters would say), etc, etc.

This would be the realm of 3rd party 3D-printing I'd say, ala how @EUC GUYĀ 3D-printed himself a new Ninebot One 16" design.

Ā 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, houseofjob said:

Never gonna happen (at least from the manufacturer direct).

You're basically asking them to pay 5-6 figures for a new mold, combined with new engineering problems like cooling, water penetration isolation, alternating/interlocking mirrored design to minimize on cost, shell integrity (or lack thereof, Gotway haters would say), etc, etc.

This would be the realm of 3rd party 3D-printing I'd say, ala how @EUC GUYĀ 3D-printed himself a new Ninebot One 16" design.

Yeah, I would never realistically expect it to happen with the current model, but if there's enough demand out there perhaps on future models they might consider having 2 options of style (a la kingsong, though to be fair, king song only changes the color not the mold).Ā  I know in some cases Jason's gotten manufacturers to make changes (larger pedals, no kingsong logos) but I imagine in this case these changes would be a little too much for a model that is already in production.

Guess I'll have to buy a giant 3d printer and learn to use it someday.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Heyzeus said:

(a la kingsong, though to be fair, king song only changes the color not the mold)

LOL, even there, King Song has discontinued wide availability of alternate colors due to low, one-off type demand.

• Like 1

On 1/30/2019 at 7:16 AM, houseofjob said:

Just buy an extra set of shells, then replace the non-cutout side shell with the extra cutout side, sealing off the empty trolley handle stick holesļ»æļ»æļ»æļ»æļ»æ ļ»æsomehowļ»æ.ļ»æ

Even easier. Use a holesaw on the blank side to pass a lock through. When mine has a bit of "patina" I'll do it. šŸ¤˜

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...

And another question. How did you solve the feet thing against the plastic? (I can make up something myself but just for inspiration). It hurts so much compared to the mcm4 which had rubber down there. Thinking about glueing some rubber on the plastic.

3 minutes ago, Yffisch said:

And another question. How did you solve the feet thing against the plastic? (I can make up something myself but just for inspiration). It hurts so much compared to the mcm4 which had rubber down there. Thinking about glueing some rubber on the plastic.

May I suggest that if you are having feet problems with the shell, the problem is with your stance on the wheel? There really is no reason for your feet/legs to be touching the shell on a continuous basis. Certainly not the feet/ankles. As I ride, only the upper parts of the shell will bounce between my legs as I ride and turn, but I'm not pressing my legs against the shell.

Whenever I hear people complain about the wheel hurting their ankles, I know it's because they are 'grabbing' the wheel with their legs. This is understandable if you are new to riding, but as you progress in your skills you should move away from this stance.

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

May I suggest that if you are having feet problems with the shell, the problem is with your stance on the wheel? There really is no reason for your feet/legs to be touching the shell on a continuous basis. Certainly not the feet/ankles. As I ride, only the upper parts of the shell will bounce between my legs as I ride and turn, but I'm not pressing my legs against the shell.

Whenever I hear people complain about the wheel hurting their ankles, I know it's because they are 'grabbing' the wheel with their legs. This is understandable if you are new to riding, but as you progress in your skills you should move away from this stance.

That may be the solution. I am not new since i have 3500km om my mcm4. But I will try!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Yffisch said:

That may be the solution. I am not new since i have 3500km om my mcm4. But I will try!

We all tend to fall into habits of doing things a particular way, and that includes riding. But I've learned that by practicing, I can change a behavior. As an example, I made a point of actively practicing my mounts so that I can start riding with either foot, confidently. I also worked on avoiding the "jump" mount. Likewise, I worked on getting my feet away from the shell and that's why I now advocate that padding on most wheels is really not needed, particularly on the MCM5, with it's sloping shell.

So maybe you just never got out of the "bad" habit of pressing the ankles against the shell.

Good luck.

• Like 1

Everyone rides a little differently. Look at those guys from NYC, one foot forward, one back, crazy leans during carving, all difference stances. But one things for sure, if there is pain involved, it's probably not the right way for you on that wheel! OnĀ my MTen3, my leg never touches the wheel. I can say the same about the MCM5 when I first got it, but after a lot of BOUNCY mountain riding, I felt the need to Jerry-Rig some ninebot pads so when hit those bumps I have a little bit of stability.Ā 

20190418_190453-COLLAGE.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, maltocs said:

Everyone rides a little differently. Look at those guys from NYC, one foot forward, one back, crazy leans during carving, all difference stances. But one things for sure, if there is pain involved, it's probably not the right way for you on that wheel! OnĀ my MTen3, my leg never touches the wheel. I can say the same about the MCM5 when I first got it, but after a lot of BOUNCY mountain riding, I felt the need to Jerry-Rig some ninebot pads so when hit those bumps I have a little bit of stability.Ā 

What's with all the duct tape? What have you been doing to that poor wheelĀ ;)

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

13 hours ago, maltocs said:

That is a good idea! Too much effort for me though. I was considering duct taping a sponge om each side. That is my level of ambition šŸ˜

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Yffisch said:

That is a good idea! Too much effort for me though. I was considering duct taping a sponge om each side. That is my level of ambition šŸ˜

you give me WAY too much credit. I just happened to have those ninebot sponges and some velcro tape lying around! And as you can see as previously pointed out, I also had A LOT of duct tape lying around.

20190419_105630x.jpg

Edited by maltocs
grammar
  • Like 1

Yeah, but still ;)

Btw, today I heard some strange noise from my wheel every 10 seconds. I was at 39 degrees celcius and the fan started for 3 seconds and stopped again. Then it started after 10 seconds again and then repeat over and over. Sounds loud asĀ an old computer fan. Is this a natural behaviour? I get worried when it just starts and stops like that.Ā 

19 hours ago, Yffisch said:

Yeah, but still ;)

Btw, today I heard some strange noise from my wheel every 10 seconds. I was at 39 degrees celcius and the fan started for 3 seconds and stopped again. Then it started after 10 seconds again and then repeat over and over. Sounds loud asĀ an old computer fan. Is this a natural behaviour? I get worried when it just starts and stops like that.Ā 

All the Gotway fans can get in a mode where they are turning on and off like that. It occurs when the board temperature is close to the fan turn-on temperature (~41-degrees Celsius). Gotway really needs to add a bit more hysteresis in the firmware.Ā Ā 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Smoother said:

I had to look that one up.

My degree is in electronics although the last 20-years I've spent moving bitsĀ :mellow:

• Like 1