Recommendation for a first wheel?

Sly

I think a good V8 is a good wheel for a smaller person. (<150 pounds) or a gentle beginner.   I think the V8 was a great wheel 2 years ago. Wheels have improved greatly in the last 2 years ........except for InMotion.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, RockyTop said:

I think a good V8 is a good wheel for a smaller person. (<150 pounds) or a gentle beginner.   I think the V8 was a great wheel 2 years ago. Wheels have improved greatly in the last 2 years ........except for InMotion.

Hey @RockyTop your comment got my attention, you wouldn’t recommend an Inmotion product then?

I would not, but..............not everyone agrees. 

They are not all bad and you have to start somewhere. KingSong and GotWay have improved so much more than the other wheels in the last 2 years. 

The V8 has it’s fans and for a good reason. The V8  was a great wheel. I just think the company has gone down hill AND not kept up with the times.  Buying two that did not work and having to reverse funds though PayPal to get my money back has not improved my mood on the subject. (I sent the wheels back)

I have always suggested the KS16s to my friends. They say, gee that’s a lot of money! They buy one anyway and 6 month later end up buying a more  expensive wheel ( MSX or KS18 ).  ........ I have offered close to new price for their used KS16s and they refuse to sell. I keep $1,100 in my van just in case they change their mind. 

The V8 is still better than many old wheels and much better than nothing. 

43 minutes ago, RockyTop said:

I would not, but..............not everyone agrees. 

They are not all bad and you have to start somewhere. KingSong and GotWay have improved so much more than the other wheels in the last 2 years. 

The V8 has it’s fans and for a good reason. The V8  was a great wheel. I just think the company has gone down hill AND not kept up with the times.  Buying two that did not work and having to reverse funds though PayPal to get my money back has not improved my mood on the subject. (I sent the wheels back)

I have always suggested the KS16s to my friends. They say, gee that’s a lot of money! They buy one anyway and 6 month later end up buying a more  expensive wheel ( MSX or KS18 ).  ........ I have offered close to new price for their used KS16s and they refuse to sell. I keep $1,100 in my van just in case they change their mind. 

The V8 is still better than many old wheels and much better than nothing. 

You just restarted everything in my mind haha

I don't think Inmotion quality is anything to be concerned about compared to other manufacturers (or that much of a difference actually exists, though GW and KS indeed have more experience).

The KS16 non-S at 650 for a 680Wh wheel is a nice option, but it's getting into territory where you wonder if investing so much money into what might end up an in-between wheel is wise. It can't compete with more current, powerful wheels and it's heavier than the V8, so is it maybe too unwieldy for what you originally wanted in a wheel? But it's not a bad choice. And immediately available, no long waiting time.

Again, it ends up a question of what you actually want (Light wheel? Fast and powerful wheel?) and if you want to go for a nice and cheap (and light) wheel or a serious, big-investment, heavy and fast wheel.

That 350€ V5F offer is still open. For what you get for the money, this can hardly be beat.

About the 16S in general, of course it depends on the price, but it is the "new V8". A very nice wheel that isn't cheap but you might still want to get something "better" (faster, like the Tesla, or an 18 incher) if you spend that much money already. On the other hand, it is a perfectly nice powerful little commuter thing, great quality, big battery, enough speed, great form factor. It still has its uses, just like the V8 still has its uses. As always, it's a price question. A used 16S might be great, too, for what you get for your money.

• 1 month later...
On 12/14/2018 at 9:32 PM, travsformation said:

Small wheels are easier to learn on. Extra speed is always a danger, there's always the risky stage when confidence is greater than skills, but that can happen the same (in my opinion) if you learn on a Ninebot E+ and later buy a KS16, or if you buy an IM V8 directly. But of course, it depends on the person more than on the wheel, in my opinion

I can't comment on older V8's but mine has been impeccable since day 1. No problems with axles (I don't do crazy humps either though).

As to the V10F's water ingress fire issues, it's definitely bad rep for a company to release a wheel without proper QC. On the other hand, at least here in Europe, they recalled all units and offered free fixing (shipment costs paid by IM), or free shipmen of materials for users to fix it themselves, alongside a gurantee that wouldn't void the warranty.

I'm not an IM fanboy, just stating what I've heard, and based on my experience only, the V8 I bought 1 month ago and put 400km on has been absolutely problem-free

agree with u about V10 water ingress issue,  

great quality on V8 is not keep on V10, hope IM could do better.

13 minutes ago, stephen said:

Have you rode out yet. Give us your feedback

Yes, 5km the first day playing around and 20km on Sunday. For a first wheel it’s heaven on earth. I rode mostly off-road in quite cold weather around 0°, frozen grass and old mud through park/forest path. I love it so much.

The wheel is stable, super manoeuvrable, powerful, as a good range and has a sick look.

1 hour ago, Sly said:

Yes, 5km the first day playing around and 20km on Sunday. For a first wheel it’s heaven on earth. I rode mostly off-road in quite cold weather around 0°, frozen grass and old mud through park/forest path. I love it so much.

The wheel is stable, super manoeuvrable, powerful, as a good range and has a sick look.

Z10? Great choice! You've got a hell of wheel that you're going to enjoy for a long time! Congrats!

:cheers:

And 20 km...sounds like you're getting the hang of it! Yay! (Wasn't your commute from the parking lot just a couple of km? :whistling::efefa6edcf:) Know that from now on..it'll just keep getting better and better, and more and more fun, the more you ride and explore! You'll find yourself discovering new places not that far from your house that you'd never realized were even there, just because you can't stop riding and want to go EVERYWHERE on your new wheel! Enjoy it! :thumbup:

(and make sure to gear up; the only deterrent to enjoying a wheel is getting hurt...so don't overlook the importance of safety gear!) ;)

P..S.:  Petty "I-told-you-so" sidenote: @meepmeepmayer, @RockyTop & @houseofjob What do you have to say now about me recommending a KS18? Bunch of smart-asses...I told you I knew what he needed from the start :efee612b4b:

16 hours ago, travsformation said:

P.S. Petty "I-told-you-so" sidenote: @meepmeepmayer, @RockyTop & @houseofjob What do you have to say now about me recommending a KS18? Bunch of smart-asses...I told you I knew what he needed from the start :efee612b4b:

What?:confused1: ....... We were working the reverse psychology angle. I thought you knew that.  I thought we were a team. You were playing your part so well. .........." Get a real wheel"  "No don't try to sell him a real wheel. He just wants a toy."  ...... :D  Then at the last moment I had to throw some doubt in. 

On 12/14/2018 at 3:35 PM, RockyTop said:

They say, gee that’s a lot of money! They buy one anyway and 6 month later end up buying a more  expensive wheel ( MSX or KS18 )

:D

14 hours ago, travsformation said:

Z10? Great choice! You've got a hell of wheel that you're going to enjoy for a long time! Congrats!

:cheers:

And 20 km...sounds like you're getting the hang of it! Yay! (Wasn't your commute from the parking lot just a couple of km? :whistling::efefa6edcf:) Know that from now on..it'll just keep getting better and better, and more and more fun, the more you ride and explore! You'll find yourself discovering new places not that far from your house that you'd never realized were even there, just because you can't stop riding and want to go EVERYWHERE on your new wheel! Enjoy it! :thumbup:

(and make sure to gear up; the only deterrent to enjoying a wheel is getting hurt...so don't overlook the importance of safety gear!) ;)

P..S.:  Petty "I-told-you-so" sidenote: @meepmeepmayer, @RockyTop & @houseofjob What do you have to say now about me recommending a KS18? Bunch of smart-asses...I told you I knew what he needed from the start :efee612b4b:

1 hour ago, RockyTop said:

What?:confused1: ....... We were working the reverse psychology angle. I thought you knew that.  I thought we were a team. You were playing your part so well. .........." Get a real wheel"  "No don't try to sell him a real wheel. He just wants a toy."  ...... :D  Then at the last moment I had to though some doubt in. 

:D

Yes I can't stop thinking about riding it, yesterday I started to practice on one foot, it brings me back 20 years ago when I use to skate... I LOVE THIS WHEEL.

Ordered new wrist guards, looking for a new full face helmet and probably a vest and knee pads...

4 hours ago, Sly said:

Yes I can't stop thinking about riding it, yesterday I started to practice on one foot, it brings me back 20 years ago when I use to skate... I LOVE THIS WHEEL.

Ordered new wrist guards, looking for a new full face helmet and probably a vest and knee pads...

Awesome!, Glad you are enjoying the wheel. I am sure that you got a great wheel. I know that you will learn quickly. :thumbup:

Archived