Jump to content

Recommendation for a first wheel?


Sly
 Share

Recommended Posts

Hello everybody,

I love and I’ve always been at ease with riding a board, snowboarding, windsurfing, wake-boarding etc. I’m currently working at a place where I have to park around 1.5km from the office and it takes more time to walk to the office than the drive from my place to the parking (5 km). I usually work in a suit and wouldn’t really want to wear a helmet to the office.

I’m considering any electronic vehicle that can be either for only this last "mile" or even for the full commute but I can’t really decide as I haven’t tried any. I’m looking for something portable that could fit in my trunk and be kept in the office, quite "light". Safe and with a max speed limiter so that I’m sure I’m not going above 12-14 km/h for this small commute and risking to get injured heavily. Something manoeuvrable and with which I could go a bit off-road (in the grass with some small hills). I liked the idea of a handle like the KS18 or the 8V have.

I liked the idea of the Kiwano but it doesn’t look agile as a wheel. I’m lost in this quest? What would you guys recommend? Is anyone from Belgium?

Thank you for reading me.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hello Sly,

 

There are for sure people from Belgium here.

Go to local meet ups in this forum - then look for Belgium - Brussels.

People can give you a adviece, also for the Belgium roads en curcumstances.

Good luck!

 

 

 

 

 

Edited by gotmotion2016
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'd go for the KS18L or XL. From from a I know, it's a very balanced, all-round wheel (will be my next purchase). Some people might recommend starting with a 14" wheel, the working your way up to a 16", and then a 18" or a Monster. I started with an Inmotion V8 (16", max. speed 30 km/h), and outgrew it after only 200 km. I can''t imagine how limited I would have felt if I'd bought a 14" ninebot. And in terms of risk...you choose the throttle: a 200hp car is as safe as a 60 hp one in the hands of a responsible driver ;)  For EuCs, higher power and max. speed don't mean more risk (as long as you're mindful). In any case, they're safer, as higher-powered motors give you more (electrically-dependent) margin for braking and acceleration.

I guess a lot of it depends on budget: if you can afford to buy 3 wheels over the course of a year and work your way up from a 14" to an 18", go for it! Start with a Ninebot or KS14 and work your way up. On the other hand, as I soon found out, once you learn how to ride, you'll soon find your starter wheel to be inadequate and yearn for more power. Even if you envision it only as for commuting, trust me, you'll get hooked very quickly and soon want something more powerful. 

I can only base my opinion on my own experience, but my starter wheel was a V8 and after a month I'm already looking into the next upgrade. The V8 is a tall wheel, and I don' think the learning curve from zero to riding on a 16" wheel will be any more than from zero to an 18" wheel. Then again, it also depends on what you're going to use it for: is your commute only urban,  and do you plan on using it only for commuting, or do you think that, once you get a taste of it, you might consider other use-scenarios (long-range excursions, etc.)?

Smaller wheels are more maneuverable,  no doubt about it, but also tend to have less range and are not as comfortable offroad. This is based on my experience only, but in retrospect, if I could go back in time, I would have skipped the V8 and gone straight for the KS18XL. The learning curve from one to the other is negligible, and while a smaller wheel might have its advantage in urban settings over a larger wheel, once you learn to ride, you should be able to control your wheel / adapt your riding style either way, and a KS18 would be a very good all-rounder that could serve your purpose (as well as scenarios you haven't yet anticipated) without creating an urge to upgrade any time soon.

But don't take my word for it, there are much more experienced riders out there with hundreds, if not thousands of miles on different wheels who can surely give you a more reality-based opinion than mine :)

Either way,  welcome to the community and, no matter which wheel you choose, I can guarantee, once you're over the initial learning curve, you're going to love it! (There's a before and after in one's life in terms of learning how to ride an electric unicycle!)

All the best from Spain!

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Dude he wants a light, unobtrusive short commuter. Not sure if an expensive forever wheel like an 18L is the best first recommendation. Though of course you can't go wrong with one:efee8319ab:

I want to add the IPS i5 exists, too. Supremely carryable. You'd have to get it from AliExpress.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Dude he wants a light, unobtrusive short commuter. Not sure if an expensive forever wheel like an 18L is the best first recommendation. Though of course you can't go wrong with one:efee8319ab:

Except it needs to off-road :blink:

 

I want a million dollars and a personal electric jet pack, but that's probably not realistic :lol::roflmao:

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Dude!, He does not know what he wants until I tell him!! :roflmao:

Sorry!  If you read the post from the start it is kinda funny when you understand where everyone is coming from. 

@Sly We are eager to make you one of us. Resistance is futile. ............. or  R = V/ I  

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

For anyone who thinks a 14D is not strong enough for the little bit the original post asks for... he even says it's better than the V5F (but also costs more).

Here's this guy's V5F video. Not exactly bad either. If you still can get it for 300€, that's a steal!

I'm not saying a bigger wheel is wrong, but it will no longer be "light" and easy to a handle when not riding. It would be a serious speed+power wheel investment.

Edited by meepmeepmayer
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I know what the OP said, but I also know you've been guessing how long it would take me to upgrade from the V8 @meepmeepmayer :P

My point being, maybe there are things he hasn't considered and won't realise until he gets bitten by the EUC bug ;) Might as well put all possibilities (even the ones he didn't ask for or hasn't considered yet :D) on the table so he can make an informed decision. 

Then again, it's probably wiser to start with a cheaper option for in case it's not your cup of tea.... (as opposed to spending 2k+...) 

Or even better, @Sly, find a friend with a wheel and learn on his so you can get a feel for riding and asses what you want out of your wheel based on your real life experience and impressions. At least that option is free (unless your friends claims damages for his scraped up wheel) :efee612b4b:

Sorry for my go-for-the-top-range tangent, I've been drooling over the KS18 for days and can't help myself... 

P.S. @RockyTop Have I unintentionally become an EUC missionary? 
 

 

 

Edited by travsformation
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, RockyTop said:

Dude!, He does not know what he wants until I tell him!! 

Exactly. I shall be billing you guys soon for the cost of my V8, since you failed to warn me to skip anything under 1600Wh...:P

OK, end of tangent... :efefb6a84e:

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

@RockyTop So what's your recommendation? (You must take sides:P)

Oh!   Right!   I thought people were getting tired of my line.  

I suggest the KS16S.  It is a compromise between the two suggestions. It is the smallest wheel that I would want to keep after Learning to ride. However the KS14s might fit the rules of the game better. 

If he gets hooked he will be happy with the KS16s or want a bigger wheel. (KS18XL) He can sell the KS16s without loosing too much in the process because the KS16s is a well know respected wheel. ..........

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, travsformation said:

P.S. @RockyTop Have I unintentionally become an EUC missionary? 
 

Happens to the best of us. I went through the same phase. For me it was the Opra Winfrey effect. I was the only one that could afford to buy the things. So I have been buying them for family members. “ You get a wheel!, and you get a wheel!, And I have a wheel for you!” 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Recommend you get a late model used wheel for your first.  And maybe second.  You get a lot more for your money that way than buying a cheaper new one.  Choices may be more limited and you gotta be flexible and take advantage of whatever may be available for sale at the time you are looking, but you also have the advantage of reading about the longer term experiences others have had with the wheels, the pros, cons, and caveats of each model.  

In my case I recently got a low mileage 14" Kingsong (14C) which I'm learning on.  Every time I drop it on the pavement as I learn, I remind myself that it didn't cost an arm and a leg, and anyway replacement cases are available.  I also know from reading older posts that the axles aren't as strong on this older model as they are on a newer 14D, so don't plan to jump any curbs with it.

I've only got a couple hours of practice with it so far, but I'm already looking at a used MSuper V3 as a second learner wheel.  This way I won't have to decide if 14 or 18 inches is the better option, I'll have both :)

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, RockyTop said:

Happens to the best of us. I went through the same phase. For me it was the Opra Winfrey effect. I was the only one that could afford to buy the things. So I have been buying them for family members. “ You get a wheel!, and you get a wheel!, And I have a wheel for you!” 

Hahaha I guess my expression of the same phase, as a poor-ass bastard, is "Gotta get the best bang for your buck, don't follow the "capitalist and misleading upgrade path", dodge the consumerist trap and go straight for the wheel you will eventually wish you had but don't yet realise you want" :efee612b4b::efee612b4b::efee612b4b:

I now see the irony...Maybe I'll calm down once I get the KS18....

By the way, speaking of being able to afford to buy wheels for loved ones...you do know that, although we just met, I love you dearly, right? :wub::efefa6edcf:

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

lol EUC golddigging, I'm in. Anything for a wheel.:roflmao:

To stay on topic, I say KingSong KS14D. Used (cheap) or new (extremely easy to sell if you want to upgrade).

I second that. The 14D AND the golddigging! (as long as @meepmeepmayer pays!)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

lol EUC golddigging, I'm in. Anything for a wheel.:roflmao:

Hahaha Just gimme a shovel!

10 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

To stay on topic, I say KingSong KS14D. Used (cheap) or new (extremely easy to sell if you want to upgrade).

Now that I've overcome pushing the KS18XL on anyone, no matter what they're after, I think I second the KS14D too. Here's a pretty lengthy review for added info
 


 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

lol EUC golddigging, I'm in. Anything for a wheel.:roflmao:

To stay on topic, I say KingSong KS14D. Used (cheap) or new (extremely easy to sell if you want to upgrade).

Sign me up for some of that gold too :)

While I agree on the recommendation of a KS14D if you're buying new, for a used wheel I wouldn't pass up a deal on an MCM4 or KS14C if the price was right, since being out of production means their used prices are significantly lower than the current crop of wheels like the 14D or MCM5.  Both of these older wheels are also 14" and 800 watt motors.  

Of course it all depends on what's available on the used market at any given moment.  If someone were selling an MCM5 used already, for example, I'd be all over it :P

Since your first wheel is gonna get beat up as you learn to ride, if my current experience is any guide, it makes sense to me to limit your initial investment.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hello guys, thank you so much for all your replies your community looks awesome!

On 11/30/2018 at 4:44 AM, gotmotion2016 said:

Hello Sly,

 

There are for sure people from Belgium here.

Go to local meet ups in this forum - then look for Belgium - Brussels.

People can give you a adviece, also for the Belgium roads en curcumstances.

Good luck!

 

 

 

 

 

@gotmotion2016 Thank you for the link!!

On 11/30/2018 at 12:09 PM, meepmeepmayer said:

KingSong 14D or Inmotion V5F.

Maybe this still works? V5F for 300€! Last day!

 

@meepmeepmayer wow this looks like a bargain. I’ve only had one bad experience with long shipping and expensive product. What about the customs fees?

On 11/30/2018 at 3:10 PM, travsformation said:

I'd go for the KS18L or XL. From from a I know, it's a very balanced, all-round wheel (will be my next purchase). Some people might recommend starting with a 14" wheel, the working your way up to a 16", and then a 18" or a Monster. I started with an Inmotion V8 (16", max. speed 30 km/h), and outgrew it after only 200 km. I can''t imagine how limited I would have felt if I'd bought a 14" ninebot. And in terms of risk...you choose the throttle: a 200hp car is as safe as a 60 hp one in the hands of a responsible driver ;)  For EuCs, higher power and max. speed don't mean more risk (as long as you're mindful). In any case, they're safer, as higher-powered motors give you more (electrically-dependent) margin for braking and acceleration.

I guess a lot of it depends on budget: if you can afford to buy 3 wheels over the course of a year and work your way up from a 14" to an 18", go for it! Start with a Ninebot or KS14 and work your way up. On the other hand, as I soon found out, once you learn how to ride, you'll soon find your starter wheel to be inadequate and yearn for more power. Even if you envision it only as for commuting, trust me, you'll get hooked very quickly and soon want something more powerful. 

I can only base my opinion on my own experience, but my starter wheel was a V8 and after a month I'm already looking into the next upgrade. The V8 is a tall wheel, and I don' think the learning curve from zero to riding on a 16" wheel will be any more than from zero to an 18" wheel. Then again, it also depends on what you're going to use it for: is your commute only urban,  and do you plan on using it only for commuting, or do you think that, once you get a taste of it, you might consider other use-scenarios (long-range excursions, etc.)?

Smaller wheels are more maneuverable,  no doubt about it, but also tend to have less range and are not as comfortable offroad. This is based on my experience only, but in retrospect, if I could go back in time, I would have skipped the V8 and gone straight for the KS18XL. The learning curve from one to the other is negligible, and while a smaller wheel might have its advantage in urban settings over a larger wheel, once you learn to ride, you should be able to control your wheel / adapt your riding style either way, and a KS18 would be a very good all-rounder that could serve your purpose (as well as scenarios you haven't yet anticipated) without creating an urge to upgrade any time soon.

But don't take my word for it, there are much more experienced riders out there with hundreds, if not thousands of miles on different wheels who can surely give you a more reality-based opinion than mine :)

Either way,  welcome to the community and, no matter which wheel you choose, I can guarantee, once you're over the initial learning curve, you're going to love it! (There's a before and after in one's life in terms of learning how to ride an electric unicycle!)

All the best from Spain!

 

@travsformation These wheels are looking super good but I never rode one and around 2k it’s quite a heavy budget. I’m really struggling, looking at heaps of videos, reviews, vlogs...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Sly said:

@meepmeepmayer wow this looks like a bargain. I’ve only had one bad experience with long shipping and expensive product. What about the customs fees?

In terms of what you get vs. money, a V5F this cheap is clearly the best option. But a KingSong KS14D is a better wheel. You really can't go wrong with either.

Or if you change your original plans and get a bigger model, you won't be disappointed. Take your time and do a bit of research and ask questions if you're unsure what you want.

Custom fees etc. are included in the price.

Here's the current version of this offer, white V5F for 350€. There may be another China sales day coming up on 12.12. (like there was on 11.11.), so waiting a few days might have some good results (maybe other models available, who knows). Not sure if there will be one. @jojo33 Any ideas on that?

 

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/30/2018 at 6:47 PM, meepmeepmayer said:

For anyone who thinks a 14D is not strong enough for the little bit the original post asks for... he even says it's better than the V5F (but also costs more).

Here's this guy's V5F video. Not exactly bad either. If you still can get it for 300€, that's a steal!

I'm not saying a bigger wheel is wrong, but it will no longer be "light" and easy to a handle when not riding. It would be a serious speed+power wheel investment.

 

@meepmeepmayer The 2 videos make it hard to decide, but the V5 (not the V5+) at 300€ looks like a really good deal to start with. The KS14D is around 1k already. Is the difference worth 3 times the price?

Edited by Sly
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/30/2018 at 7:20 PM, travsformation said:

Or even better, @Sly

, find a friend with a wheel and learn on his so you can get a feel for riding and asses what you want out of your wheel based on your real life experience and impressions. At least that option is free (unless your friends claims damages for his scraped up wheel) :efee612b4b:
2
4

@travsformation I’d love to but I haven’t even seen someone with a wheel in Belgium and all my friends are more making fun of the idea than supporting it. Anyone up for an initiation in Brussels? :rolleyes:

Edited by Sly
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Every "first wheel" thread is filled with kingsong 14"ers. 

Get a Gotway MCM5. I put 800 miles on my mcm4 as a daily commuter over the summer. It was also fast enough for a few group rides. Even at 340wh

The MCM5 trolley and handle are awesome. Just buy it and don't look back. If I had borrowed someone's wheel to learn on, I would have thought this whole segment was stupid and walked away. Thank god I dove right in. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...