New GotWay Nikola 17''

1 hour ago, meepmeepmayer said:

@zenleetech Cool use of a wheel! Looks like you enjoyed it. Though the pay seems to be bad for the time you have to put into it:mellow:

It may be more profitable to just rent out his EUC (maybe do it with a second, used one) http://euc.nyc does this. Another way to profit from your EUC would be to teach people for a fee.

On 7/27/2019 at 8:04 AM, meepmeepmayer said:

@zenleetech Cool use of a wheel! Looks like you enjoyed it. Though the pay seems to be bad for the time you have to put into it:mellow:

There's some other guys doing deliveries on EUCs: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=electric+unicycle+delivery

Totally not worth the time on most orders, but for some you literally have to pick-up the order and cross the street...I like lazy people in that regard:)

On 7/27/2019 at 10:07 AM, wheelr said:

It may be more profitable to just rent out his EUC (maybe do it with a second, used one) http://euc.nyc does this. Another way to profit from your EUC would be to teach people for a fee.

Yes, I'd wouldn't mind teaching people, but would be worried about liability issues, and they def wouldn't use my nikola :)

• Upvote 1

I would triple ask "You know, on passenger planes these are not allowed at all by international regulation, are you really sure? Dangerous goods etc." but that is great news. Just be careful not to be stranded in a foreign country and then you can't take your EUC back if there's no military flight back;)

3 minutes ago, zenleetech said:

Not sure if there is a broader euc forum to share this on, could be really helpful for some. 

You can start your own thread about this. Maybe post on Facebook (Insta? If that makes sense...) so people have a reference they can link to.

Edited by meepmeepmayer
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, neurokinetik said:

My 100V 1845Wh Nikola arrived today, straight outta Compton (eWheels).   eWheels did include the charger right in the box, no separate shipment.

First thing I did was the speaker mod (just the water-resistant material, left the actual speakers alone for now) and removal of the laceration letters and the GW ankle stickers.

I replaced the ankle stickers with some motorcycle tank grip, and used the stock pads as a pattern to make grips out of the same material.  This stuff is a great option for those who want grip without adding a bunch more width to an already wide wheel.  The material is 1/8" thick.  https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00DVOVIWQ/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_1aosDbZ13F2HZ

The pedal screws were laughably loose, though they did at least put some Loctite on them (was actually still wet to the touch).

Took a short test ride, and I am just so impressed right from the start.  How it can be so heavy compared to my 18L, yet more maneuverable and still rock-solid stable at the same time is crazy to me.  Despite being a slightly smaller diameter, it doesn't feel any worse at handling bumps.  BTW, I am running 40psi to start, which is also what I run on my KS-18L.  I weigh 160lbs.

The grip pads worked perfectly, they do exactly what I wanted, and I find the ride very comfortable.

IMG_2585.jpg

I love your term "laceration letters". Tell me about it. So I'm not the only person that got my fingers cut by that cheaply applied lettering?

It's a great wheel huh :cheers:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Marty Backe said:

I love your term "laceration letters". Tell me about it. So I'm not the only person that got my fingers cut by that cheaply applied lettering?

It's a great wheel huh :cheers:

This is not the first time I've run into these letters.  They were on a monitor stand I bought a while back, and after they cut me a couple of times, they earned their name.  This time I got rid of them before they could do their thing.

...and you were 100% right about the Nikola.  Can't wait to go on a proper long ride.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, neurokinetik said:

My 100V 1845Wh Nikola arrived today, straight outta Compton (eWheels).   eWheels did include the charger right in the box, no separate shipment.

First thing I did was the speaker mod (just the water-resistant material, left the actual speakers alone for now) and removal of the laceration letters and the GW ankle stickers.

I replaced the ankle stickers with some motorcycle tank grip, and used the stock pads as a pattern to make grips out of the same material.  This stuff is a great option for those who want grip without adding a bunch more width to an already wide wheel.  The material is 1/8" thick.  https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00DVOVIWQ/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_1aosDbZ13F2HZ

The pedal screws were laughably loose, though they did at least put some Loctite on them (was actually still wet to the touch).

Took a short test ride, and I am just so impressed right from the start.  How it can be so heavy compared to my 18L, yet more maneuverable and still rock-solid stable at the same time is crazy to me.  Despite being a slightly smaller diameter, it doesn't feel any worse at handling bumps.  BTW, I am running 40psi to start, which is also what I run on my KS-18L.  I weigh 160lbs.

The grip pads worked perfectly, they do exactly what I wanted, and I find the ride very comfortable.

IMG_2585.jpg

Thanks for the first impressions. Looking forward to a longer term report😉👍🏿. Love the stickers on the 18L. 😆😆😆

Edited by Lutalo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Dzlchef said:

Yesterday was a first for me, my Nikola quit working while I was riding it.   Thankfully I was padded up and the wheel died when I was only going 8mph so no injuries at all.   WheelLog immortalized the moment the board blew, see pic.  

The wheel was totally dead and wouldn't give any response to pushing the power button.   I opened up the wheel and saw one of the LED strip lead wires (white/red/black) unattached and dangling loosely between the heat sink and control board.   About 3 days ago the left LED strip stopped working.   It looks like the 3 wires separated from the base of the LED strip and the wires were just flopping around loosely over the control board, since the left LED comes over the top of the board from the other side.   I assume the wires caught one of the MOSFETS and shorted the board.   I've attached a picture of the left LED wire and it looks like it just separated cleanly from the base of the LEDs.   I swapped everything back to the original board and everything works except both LED strips.   Obviously the left wasn't going to work but the right is out now too.   Probably blew when the voltage hit the other loose wires since they are spliced together on the board.

Now what to do???   I hadn't touched the LED strip so don't think it's my fault that it separated, which caused the failure of the new board and the other LED strip.   I'm getting very tired of opening up this wheel and now I'm nervous that it'll dump me again.   Argh!!!

LED strip wire Nikola.jpg

Wow :shock2:

I guess this highlights never to ignore failures that arise in our wheels. Take a peak inside and see what's happening. Also, incredibly bad luck. Glad you weren't hurt, which can still happen at 8mph - doesn't sound like that was a fun time!

Seems to me that this is a warranty repair if there ever was one. And I'm glad that you discovered the cause because otherwise a random board failure is not good news for you or the community. 

Edited by Marty Backe

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

Wow :shock2:

I guess this highlights never to ignore failures that arise in our wheels. Take a peak inside and see what's happening. Also, incredibly bad luck. Glad you weren't hurt, which can still happen at 8mph - doesn't sound like that was a fun time!

Seems to me that this is a warranty repair if there ever was one. And I'm glad that you discovered the cause because otherwise a random board failure is not good news for you or the community. 

I wrote Jason an email asking for warranty assistance.   Hopefully he comes through as usual.

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, Dzlchef said:

This year's product releases (Nikola and 16X) seem especially messy with issues. Maybe it was like this last year, and I just wasn't around to witness it. But wow.  :blink1:

Edited by erk1024

42 minutes ago, erk1024 said:

This year's product releases (Nikola and 16X) seem especially messy with issues. Maybe it was like this last year, and I just wasn't around to witness it. But wow.  :blink1:

Sure isn’t inspiring to hear of the difficulties some of the forum members are experiencing. I am putting my purchase of the 2100wh Nikola on hold till I see more long term reports, plus I ll be on an off road trip for a few weeks at the start of September so won’t have much time to play with it anyways. 

• Upvote 1

I should probably point out that my Nikola has one section of the ring LEDs out as well from day one.  I was going to ignore it since it just seems like a cosmetic thing, and I didn't see anything obvious when I had the side panel off, but I guess now I'd better tear into it further and figure out what is going on.

IMG_2584.jpg

Edited by neurokinetik
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, neurokinetik said:

I should probably point out that my Nikola has one section of the ring LEDs out as well from day one.  I was going to ignore it since it just seems like a cosmetic thing, and I didn't see anything obvious when I had the side panel off, but I guess now I'd better tear into it further and figure out what is going on.

IMG_2584.jpg

well its one continuous strip.. not working in that one section means that just after the last light that turns on the connection was broken, its probably just a cheap ass led strip like you can get off amazon for five bucks lol.. if you really wanted that section to work you could just cut it anywhere and reattach another piece or cut out the bad one and reconnect them.. im assuming they used one just like this waterproof flexible strip with adhesive on one side since those are the cheapest and easiest route though i havent actually seen it,, you can cut across this line anywhere along the strip, i bet you if you cut out the first LED after the last working one and then reconnected it they would all work you can use any wire or buy a connector for probably 25 cents at an electronic shop

20190806_163623.jpg

• Like 1

Yeah, it stops working at the bottom of the wheel, and not at a joint between sections.  I don't see any other issues in any of the wiring, so I'm pretty sure it's just a break in the LED strip.  It doesn't bother me enough to want to fix it.  If I did, I'd just jumper over the non-working LED and call it a day.

The strip they use is almost identical to the one you showed, but only three connections instead of four.  But it is waterproofed on top and self-adhesive on the back.

Edited by neurokinetik
  • Like 1

I just got my 100V. Put about 10 miles on it. It sat not being ran for 30 minutes, turned it back on and the fan just runs and runs. Been going for 10 minutes, wheel temp at 36C. Anyone else getting this? Is it normal?

13 minutes ago, Acturbo said:

I just got my 100V. Put about 10 miles on it. It sat not being ran for 30 minutes, turned it back on and the fan just runs and runs. Been going for 10 minutes, wheel temp at 36C. Anyone else getting this? Is it normal?

its not normal, no.. did you let it run for a few mins to see if it ever shuts itself off?

44 minutes ago, Jia Liu said:

It seems lots people have some issues with their Nikola's, and mine has the most desirable feature problem, the speakers don't work :roflmao:

that power-on sound is SO annoying!

8 hours ago, Rywokast said:

its not normal, no.. did you let it run for a few mins to see if it ever shuts itself off?

Yup let it run for quite a while and it never shut off.  Had to turn the wheel off for it to turn off.  

23 hours ago, Dzlchef said:

Yesterday was a first for me, my Nikola quit working while I was riding it.   Thankfully I was padded up and the wheel died when I was only going 8mph so no injuries at all.   WheelLog immortalized the moment the board blew, see pic.  

The wheel was totally dead and wouldn't give any response to pushing the power button.   I opened up the wheel and saw one of the LED strip lead wires (white/red/black) unattached and dangling loosely between the heat sink and control board.   About 3 days ago the left LED strip stopped working.   It looks like the 3 wires separated from the base of the LED strip and the wires were just flopping around loosely over the control board, since the left LED comes over the top of the board from the other side.   I assume the wires caught one of the MOSFETS and shorted the board.   I've attached a picture of the left LED wire and it looks like it just separated cleanly from the base of the LEDs.   I swapped everything back to the original board and everything works except both LED strips.   Obviously the left wasn't going to work but the right is out now too.   Probably blew when the voltage hit the other loose wires since they are spliced together on the board.

Now what to do???   I hadn't touched the LED strip so don't think it's my fault that it separated, which caused the failure of the new board and the other LED strip.   I'm getting very tired of opening up this wheel and now I'm nervous that it'll dump me again.   Argh!!!

LED strip wire Nikola.jpg

Screenshot_20190805-135310_WheelLog.jpg

Man, that sucks - glad you're OK!

I noticed some time ago that my left side LED ring stopped working, been meaning to open the wheel up again at some point to investigate, but.. there are only so many times I want to open the wheel up in any given period. Anyway, my cables are tied up in cable ties so I have a hard time seeing anything flopping around in that unfortunate manner. Still, with regards to LEDs I know @Tobbe84 received his Nikola with a faulty LED stripe on one side as well. Not disconnected like it appears yours is, but damaged at the middle. The LEDs do not appear to be  best of breed.

Anyway, I'm using my original board now as well for now. I have high confidence in that as that's been well proven over time. If you make sure everything is tightened down then hopefully you won't any additional issues.

Edited by Nils