EcoDrift

New GotWay Nikola 17''

38 minutes ago, DrakeParagon said:

One problem: each time I fell the handle whipped open and got more and more damaged

This was one concern I had about the scorpion style handle that doesn't lock. In other models with that handle type, in a fall that handle can whip open and hit the rider. 

But yes, it's a good idea to pad up the wheel before trying to learn, especially THAT wheel with the hard, translucent shell. And, yes, there's a learning curve. I hope you watched a bunch of learning videos. I used some bubble wrap and gaffer's tape which worked well. 

There is also a "learning to ride" thread pinned to the top of this forum with lots of good info.

Edited by erk1024
  • Upvote 3

32 minutes ago, DrakeParagon said:

I just bought a Gotway Nikola - it's my first wheel.  I just got back from my first attempt to learn how to ride it in a parking lot with a railing for me to hold on to. I had a helmet, knee pads and wrist guards, however I fell a bunch of times and got a pretty bad scrape on my elbow. Now getting elbow pads are definitely on my list! 

The sides of the wheel, and the pedals are now awfully scratched up which makes me wish I had covered the whole wheel with neoprene foam…especially while I’m learning. I will definitely do this soon!  

One problem: each time I fell the handle whipped open and got more and more damaged, and the last fall broke it off. Now I have a new handle on order from RCGeeks for £55 GBP ($70 US)! 😳

I was thinking that maybe the handle might not have gotten damaged if I had secured it down in place somehow.   Has anyone done this? I think I might try to velcro it down when install the new handle.

I'm sure I'll figure out how to ride it eventually, but man!  It was a lot harder than I thought it was going to be..

Bummer man. Yeah we say all the time to everyone cover your wheel.  There is no way you’re not going to fall at least 100 times     I took my v8 on grass to learn     Crazy you already broke the handle.  Man. You deff learned the hard way...   

i tightned my handle all the way down then bent it ever so slightly to one side so now it takes pressure to take it out and put it back in.   So no more just flying out .. I covered my wheel with stickers and covered the white edges with carbon fiber molding so my wheel is pretty protected.     Don’t give up.   When I was learning I thought I made a mistake and I thought I’d never get it.. but I kept on trying and eventually it just clicked and it’s the best feeling you can get from and “sport”. It’s great.   Good luck.  And protect yourself.   And your poor nikola 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, DrakeParagon said:

I just bought a Gotway Nikola - it's my first wheel.

What happened to the MSX? Anyways, both wheels are great! Happy to see you here:efef62fc70:

Where did you buy your wheel from? The first batch Nikolas have a pretty gnarly assembly problem that needs to be fixed unless you wan to crash sooner or later. So either you chose a good dealer or it is best to double-check for yourself.

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

What happened to the MSX? Anyways, both wheels are great! Happy to see you here:efef62fc70:

Where did you buy your wheel from? The first batch Nikolas have a pretty gnarly assembly problem that needs to be fixed unless you wan to crash sooner or later. So either you chose a good dealer or it is best to double-check for yourself.

Hi Meepmeep.  Thanks.  I bought my wheel on eBay.co.uk from a store called pro-optics based in the Netherlands.  They had 580 positive votes, no negative votes, a good price + they shipped to me in Scotland from within the EU so I didn't have to pay VAT.  But they mistakenly sent me a Nikola instead of the MSX that I ordered.   They said they would arrange for return shipping and give me a refund.  But after seeing it I decided that I wanted to keep the Nikola.  I'm thinking that the Nikola may be more comfortable than the MSX for longer distance open road trips, which is what we will probably be using it for most.

Thanks to Marty's overheat hill video I was able to verify that my Nikola had the first generation faulty board.  So pro-optics said that they would ship me the new board soon.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

27 minutes ago, stephen said:

I wrapped mine in carpet underlay 😁

Yeah. You know, you can probably remove that now.

:lol:

22 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

It's not common at all for EUCs to quit working at 20 mph, but rarely for whatever reason they can (eg. due to overspeeding, bad battery, unseen bump in a sidewalk while running high tire pressure, etc) so you have to be able to deal with any possible consequences.  We all hope that any falls are manageable, but things can go south really quickly so unless you're a Ninja you really need to be padded up and be prepared as much as possible.  I've got a job that is physically demanding with tight tolerances so manual dexterity is critical. 

My shoulder is 99.99995% better, but there still is a tiny bit of not happy tissue in there that twinges in certain positions.  A big problem is that over time riding feels so safe that you forget the possible hazards and end up going faster and faster or taking that bump a little quicker or just miss seeing that pothole or road ridge up ahead...  :blink:  Still it's crazy fun zipping around on one wheel.  I miss it so much.  :crying:

Have you quite riding forever? If not, is there a plan/schedule?

• Upvote 1

@DrakeParagon   I'm no my 2nd day riding. Today I went to a park and couldn't get the wheel moving from stop, was so frustrated wanted to quit.

But went back to enclosed tennis court, and got some good practice in there. I'm only wearing wrist pads and helmet, but not moving too fast. 
Lots of videos on yt, been doing the exercises in this one.   

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, who_the said:

Apologies if this has been posted before. But in the front/back light mode on the Nikola, did you know the front bar of lights (purple here) is a battery meter? I haven't mapped out the breakpoints  yet, but eight LEDs in the front section is "full." They decline from the top. #TheMoreYouKnow

20190711_155027.jpg.bb4c235503599cce61112460b5ff420c.jpg

I had not picked that fact up yet (of course my Nikola continues to be unrideable, so how would I know :().

Kind of a bummer that it only works in this mode. I don't know about you, but the voltage indicator is useless to me. I don't think in terms of volts.

Thanks for the post - great to know :thumbup: 

1 hour ago, who_the said:

Apologies if this has been posted before. But in the front/back light mode on the Nikola, did you know the front bar of lights (purple here) is a battery meter? I haven't mapped out the breakpoints  yet, but eight LEDs in the front section is "full." They decline from the top. #TheMoreYouKnow

20190711_155027.jpg.bb4c235503599cce61112460b5ff420c.jpg

I stumbled onto that mode about a week ago and still selected.  I use an app for the % but it’s a cool function they didn’t say anything about in the owners manual. 🙄

Day 3 of riding. Was able to ride in new areas: road on bike lane to restaurant , through parks on pavement, and a few other places. 
Little bumps/grooves/distortions in the road really hard to control right now even at low speeds. The Nikola starts to feel
different when I'm riding straight for long periods, like its higher up or the pedals are different spot, maybe my legs falling asleep
or muscles getting used to the new feelings. 

really need to figure out the $1 fix for slipping off the pedals as that seems to be a big issue now. Even little bits of water really make riding
hard. Going dig through forum for the info on pedal fix, think it was in this one. No injuries except i lifted it up with the trolley arm, and the wheel
went crazy and spun into me when i set it down, need to make sure to lift it by handle with button pressed so wheel doesn't spin.

Overall its fun, but think I should of gotten a scooter or bike :0 Getting lots of attention and meeting new people. Put a lil video 
on my instagram: zenleegaming. Do any of you have Ig i can follow?

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, zenleetech said:

Day 3 of riding. Was able to ride in new areas: road on bike lane to restaurant , through parks on pavement, and a few other places. 
Little bumps/grooves/distortions in the road really hard to control right now even at low speeds. The Nikola starts to feel
different when I'm riding straight for long periods, like its higher up or the pedals are different spot, maybe my legs falling asleep
or muscles getting used to the new feelings. 

really need to figure out the $1 fix for slipping off the pedals as that seems to be a big issue now. Even little bits of water really make riding
hard. Going dig through forum for the info on pedal fix, think it was in this one. No injuries except i lifted it up with the trolley arm, and the wheel
went crazy and spun into me when i set it down, need to make sure to lift it by handle with button pressed so wheel doesn't spin.

Overall its fun, but think I should of gotten a scooter or bike :0 Getting lots of attention and meeting new people. Put a lil video 
on my instagram: zenleegaming. Do any of you have Ig i can follow?

My Nikola pedals are slippery too. How could GW mess this up after already building so many wheels????? 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, zenleetech said:

@Patton250 no idea, but I'm pretty sure I saw a cheap fix in the forums, going be looking for it.

just any old skateboard grip tape, pull the rubber off and trace the shape on to the sandpaper

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, zenleetech said:

yea... couldnt tell you, never been into a skate shop and im in a different country so not a clue in hell what it goes for normally lol.. i bought mine off amazon for about that price too. yup just peel it off.. just a flat plate easiest process in the world

Edited by Rywokast
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, Patton250 said:

My Nikola pedals are slippery too. How could GW mess this up after already building so many wheels????? 

I replaced mine. I've posted about it in my Nikola thread.

1 hour ago, zenleetech said:

@Marty Backe I received my new board for Nikola, have you not received yours yet? When you do, are you going to make a video on the installation process?

A couple of weeks ago. I did not make a detailed video of the operation. I believe you received a PDF with the instructions.

9 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

A couple of weeks ago. I did not make a detailed video of the operation. I believe you received a PDF with the instructions.

you still planning on doing an overheat hill run when the new board gets all sorted? or tired of all the waiting and not wanting to risk it?

I replaced my crappy plastic grips with the 3m treadsafe grippy stairliner paper that @Marty Backe suggested   As he said earlier he has a link on his nikola thread. It was 12$ and was worth 100$ cause my feet don’t budge at all.  I can accelerate and brake so much more confidently and riding in the rain is no worries at all.  I would suggest it for anyone with the plastic pedals .

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I'm joining the Nikola club now that eWheels is selling the 100V 1845Wh version.  Can't wait.  Hopefully it's enough range!  :D

• Like 1