New GotWay Nikola 17''

20 minutes ago, houseofjob said:

Plus IMHO, the 3" wide wheels in the 16" Nikola and 18" MSX feel relatively the same to me, just like the 2.5" wide 16" V10F and 18" KS18L/XL feel relatively the same.

I agree somewhat on the V10F/18XL front, but I don’t think the physics of riding into a pothole (or other dangerous obstacle) care how wide the tire is. Surviving one is helped by a fast acting firmware, powerful wheel, and a large diameter tire.

The tire diameter is of course not the only thing to consider, but when going past 30mph I think it is crucial.

30 minutes ago, mrelwood said:

I agree somewhat on the V10F/18XL front, but I don’t think the physics of riding into a pothole (or other dangerous obstacle) care how wide the tire is. Surviving one is helped by a fast acting firmware, powerful wheel, and a large diameter tire.

At those sizes, 2" increase in tire diameter is not nearly as important as a 2" difference in tire width, and I've hit potholes plenty on all manner of sizes of EUC here in NYC. This is why I sold all of my 2.125" thin EUCs and will never buy/ride one again so long as I live in this swiss cheese paved city.

30 minutes ago, mrelwood said:

The tire diameter is of course not the only thing to consider, but when going past 30mph I think it is crucial.

I respectfully disagree, wheel weight (ie. the wheel being heavy) is much more important IMHO.

I went literally flying into a parked bus from hitting a bump at near max speed on the 37 lb MCM5, because it was too lightweight and too fast, a very bad combo looking back. If the wheel had more weight, it would have landed faster so I could have braked or maneuvered away in time.

This is also partly why I believe the MSX/Nikola & V10F/KS18L pairs feel & ride so similar, because of the tire dimension combined with similar overall weights.

Edited by houseofjob

13 minutes ago, houseofjob said:

If the wheel had more weight, it would have landed faster so I could have braked or maneuvered away in time.

Not correct. Objects of different mass fall at the same rate in a vacuum. In air, the one with the lowest air resistance falls faster.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, Jon Stern said:

Not correct. Objects of different mass fall at the same rate in a vacuum. In air, the one with the lowest air resistance falls faster.

Er, this is not some kind of math problem, the heavier wheel doesn't lift as high off the ground either as the lighter wheel.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

37 minutes ago, houseofjob said:

2" increase in tire diameter is not nearly as important as a 2" difference in tire width

I’m sure it isn’t. 2” increase is 12.5% to a 16” diameter, while 2” increase to a 2.125” width is 94%. But I fail to see how it helps with a vertical obstacle, other than having slightly more air volume to be compressed.

As replied by @Jon Stern, the weight of the wheel does not affect it’s vertical acceleration. But a light wheel with the same tire pressure will probably be bouncier, and could indeed get more air time. And:

51 minutes ago, houseofjob said:

and too fast

This seems to be the reason you crashed, but it has got nothing to do with tire diameter comparisons.

I was happy to notice that the 16S handles in a much more stable manner on various rough conditions after switching to 2.5”. But I was talking about a simple vertical obstacle, which I believe is the main reason for the wheel to get stuck in a pothole.

I have no doubts that the difference in handling between Nikola and MSX is small on a flat surface. But riding up tall curbs, or large roots, rocks and potholes is notably different on any 16” vs any 18” wheel, there’s no way around that.

16 minutes ago, mrelwood said:

But riding up tall curbs, or large roots, rocks and potholes is notably different on any 16” vs any 18” wheel, there’s no way around that.

Er, I have no mention pointing to this, let alone contradicting it, in any of my comments here *smh. :huh:

I’m sure it isn’t. 2” increase is 12.5% to a 16” diameter, while 2” increase to a 2.125” width is 94%. But I fail to see how it helps with a vertical obstacle, other than having slightly more air volume to be compressed.

In my experience, it's about the stability of the landing. 

No one ever rides into a pothole on purpose, it's by accident. The wider tire gives you a better chance of righting the ship when you land in the incongruous pothole dimensions, instead of falling.

Of course, if you can dramatically increase the diameter to shrink the depth of the pothole in comparison (ala 22" Monster) that is a big help as well, but just 2" bigger? Not as big a difference there that I would take over widening the tire IMHO.

As replied by @Jon Stern, the weight of the wheel does not affect it’s vertical acceleration. But a light wheel with the same tire pressure will probably be bouncier, and could indeed get more air time. And:

No, they're not being dropped from the same height in isolation like in some math problem: it's the total trajectory. The heavier wheel does not get as much lift off the ground and thus does not travel in the air longer than the lighter one.

Edited by houseofjob

How can you easily see how much battery life you still have? There's no indicator on it like on the Inmotion V8. I watch the volt screen. Do you always have to open the application to see the battery percentage?

On 5/18/2019 at 4:06 AM, Shinra said:

How can you easily see how much battery life you still have? There's no indicator on it like on the Inmotion V8. I watch the volt screen. Do you always have to open the application to see the battery percentage?

Use the voltmeter

i realised many prior don’t know how to read the voltage on their wheels and rely on percentage. 

Coming from an escooter background in singapore, we always look at voltage instead of percentage. 

For the nikola, it’s a 72V system(not 84V, that’s just max charge).

a 72V system is a 20S(20 series) system

full voltage would be: 20x4.2v=84.0V

cut off is 20x3.0v=60v

in essence, you have 24V to play with

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Hi everyone!

Question for Nikola owners: have you encountered any problems with front light? In my case during the night rides it sometimes turns the light off, then in a second light turns back on and the wheel plays the activation sound. It doesn't affect the ride itself, but definetely doesn't seem to be normal behaviour.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Ivan Zemlyachenko said:

Hi everyone!

Question for Nikola owners: have you encountered any problems with front light? In my case during the night rides it sometimes turns the light off, then in a second light turns back on and the wheel plays the activation sound. It doesn't affect the ride itself, but definetely doesn't seem to be normal behaviour.

Does it have a sensor to turn the light off if a bright light hits it like the Z10

On 5/21/2019 at 12:32 PM, Ivan Zemlyachenko said:

No, it rather looks like some kind of bug.

Hey Ivan,

I don't have that. The light stays on.

How many kilometers can you get after a full charge?

AliExpress selling the 100v nikola at 1230wh only 

All that space and still 1230wh , I'm sure you don't need top speed on a 16" wheel

£1,500.41  28%OFF | 2019 Newest GotWay Nikola monowheel electric unicycle 100V/1230wh speed 55km/h+, 2000W motor, Bluetooth speaker, prevent idling 
https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/bVllRTkM

On 5/26/2019 at 1:15 AM, Shinra said:

Is it possible to use a fast charger for the Gotway Nikola? A full charge in 5 hours would be awesome.

Yes, I got the one below together with my purchase of the Nikola:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33001218203.html?storeId=3896031&spm=2114.12010615.8148356.13.105d220ac8p5fi

Edited by Nils

On 5/26/2019 at 2:01 AM, Shinra said:

How many kilometers can you get after a full charge?

My common rides are around 50 km per day, app shows around 40% left after this. Need to mention my extra weight (108kg), that was one of the reasons for buying powerful wheel.

• Upvote 1

On 5/27/2019 at 10:23 AM, Ivan Zemlyachenko said:

My common rides are around 50 km per day, app shows around 40% left after this. Need to mention my extra weight (108kg), that was one of the reasons for buying powerful wheel.

About the same. I weigh 70kg, I drive fast and zigzag all the time.