New GotWay Nikola 17''

8 minutes ago, UniVehje said:

I wonder why that is. It seems to do many things right on paper, yet no hype from this forum. 

I do like the tire size. At 1500 €/$ it should sell well. 

Huge wheel. Wide wheel with probably the worst handle (requiring two hands) ever made. A trolley handle design that few people like. The 1600wh version is rumored to be very expensive.

I'm not saying that I don't like it or that I'm not getting one. But there's no pent up demand like we saw with previous models.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Huge wheel. Wide wheel with probably the worst handle (requiring two hands) ever made. A trolley handle design that few people like. The 1600wh version is rumored to be very expensive.

I'm not saying that I don't like it or that I'm not getting one. But there's no pent up demand like we saw with previous models.

yes exactly.. i mean imo the trolley is way better than the msx but its no game changer.. the wheel is unnecessarily large yes... it it was a lot smaller i could see there being a big demand.. but its huge yes.. i too dont dislike it (a lot) but for every aspect of it, there would be something else that i would choose.. so unless it was either a lot cheaper, or a lot smaller.. i dont see the point to it

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, who_the said:

Name another 55 kph wheel smaller than 18 inches. 

i have only seen quotes of 50.. which would mean acm and tesla.. and even if it is 55 its not smaller than an 18 inch wheel lol.. its the same size or larger, yet has a smaller tire.. so it is as cumbersome as an 18-19 incher without actually having a tire as large making it less stable than say the msx

• Like 3

For me personally i don't like all the lights and shininess i like the z10 cause it's different ,i like gotway euc's because they are not all round, the new nikola is round nothing different in shape just like inmotion, kingsong now,  I'm sure it will be a torque machine and very nimble but for me I'll wait for something different I'm looking forward to something more than 1600wh also😊. Just my opinion each to there own 

4 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Not that apparently anybody actually wants the Nikola, based on the generally underwhelming response that it's received :confused1:

Seems like it's going to be a flop - do we know anyone who's expressed an interest in this wheel, like the MSX?

Does this mean there is a GW that is not on auto order for you @Marty Backe?

Now I have not followed the Nikola that close, but it is a small but still a contender to my second wheel.

I am not put off by a scorpion style trolley, at for lifting, I think it is a clever design. It makes less moving parts, yes you lift it lraning to your body, by that makes weight feel less.

I am not a fan of th GW logo rearlight.

But right now strongest contender for me is KS18XL or maybe KS16X depending on when and what Kingsong has cooking.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Not that apparently anybody actually wants the Nikola, based on the generally underwhelming response that it's received :confused1:

Seems like it's going to be a flop - do we know anyone who's expressed an interest in this wheel, like the MSX?

Perhaps the primary target group is sated already from the MSX release. The Nikola does not seem like a major step up compared to the MSX the way the MSX with regards to earlier wheels did when it was released, so I'm guessing MSX owners do not feel a great desire for it. Personally though I'm interested, but will wait to see what the price actually ends up being (and for some in-depth reviews, overheat hill @Marty Backe please? ;)). Don't mind a little bling either personally, and I'm comfortable with the handle design from the V10F.

Edited by Nils
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

You mean just like how no one was interested in the MCM5 and how everyone thought that wheel was a flop before it came out? 😉😄

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Unventor said:

Does this mean there is a GW that is not on auto order for you @Marty Backe?

Now I have not followed the Nikola that close, but it is a small but still a contender to my second wheel.

I am not put off by a scorpion style trolley, at for lifting, I think it is a clever design. It makes less moving parts, yes you lift it lraning to your body, by that makes weight feel less.

I am not a fan of th GW logo rearlight.

But right now strongest contender for me is KS18XL or maybe KS16X depending on when and what Kingsong has cooking.

You cut out the part of my quote that said I would buy one :D

I'm not saying that I don't like it or that I'm not getting one. But there's no pent up demand like we saw with previous models.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, houseofjob said:

Gotway possibly releases a 100v after launch, gonna be hard to pass up for moi. 😄

Count me In! 😜

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

You cut out the part of my quote that said I would buy one :D

Ohh I am so sorry, I read and typed my reply earliger as I got my lasagne served at lunch. So both hungry and missed out this vital part.

I am leaning towards the KS18XL  though 75%, KS16X 20% and Nikola 5%....decisions decissions. 

The sane and safe choice seems to be KS18XL...but once in a while I do crazzy stuff..GW...

Looking forward for review from you @Marty Backe

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Unventor said:

Ohh I am so sorry, I read and typed my reply earliger as I got my lasagne served at lunch. So both hungry and missed out this vital part.

I am leaning towards the KS18XL  though 75%, KS16X 20% and Nikola 5%....decisions decissions. 

The sane and safe choice seems to be KS18XL...but once in a while I do crazzy stuff..GW...

Looking forward for review from you @Marty Backe

For what it is worth, I learned on Kingsong, spent 6 months riding them and thinking no way to Gotway because of safety concerns / build quality.  Fast forward a year.  I own only Gotways (mTen3 & MCM5) and prefer them to the KingSong.  We have a local KingSong Dealer here and I've put maybe 100 miles on the KS18L - felt like an upgraded KS16s to me, and I much prefer the Gotway ride.  It's sort of like comparing a minivan (Kingsong - safe, practical, boring) to a 2 door coupe (oh yea).  Since I ride for fun and exercise, I've become a Gotway fanboy.

That being said, I'm looking hard at the Z10 (problems and all because of The Tire and what it does to the ride), but holding off till I see the information drop on the KS16X and Nikola (which I suspect is just too expensive for what it is).

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, houseofjob said:

I personally love when people 💩 on good wheels, subconsciously makes me think I'll be more unique riding, less ppl have my 💩.

I am unique regardless of what I am riding. Cuz, like Digable Planets once said; "I'm cool like that." ✌;)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mike Paolini said:

We have a local KingSong Dealer here and I've put maybe 100 miles on the KS18L - felt like an upgraded KS16s to me, and I much prefer the Gotway ride

What's wrong with an upgraded 16S? I can accept this analogy If you are comparing an 18L to a minivan because it's well designed, well thought out, and well built. 

In terms of performance, there is certainly no analogy between an 18L and a minivan. Excitement? If a rider is bored with how an 18L rides; blame the rider. 

Any analogy attempting to set GW and KS up as polar opposites on basis of performance will fail miserably unless the comparison is extremely limited and very specific. 

We must guard against Well built, well designed, and refined wheels being made instantly analogous to boring. If we do that then we cannot expect or demand real improvement in the wheels. 

I ride a KS 18L and XL,  but I truly believe that I would have more fun on a GW. The reason is because my XL is so beautiful to me that I prefer to treat it gingerly; even though it could handle much more than I ever intend to dish out.

I feel certain that I would not have the same feelings of attachment to the roughly equivalent GW. I would be more willing to rough it up adventure riding because I don't like it as much as the KS (and I would only buy a used device).

18L? Minivan? Helllll nah! How about this for car simile:

KSXL - Benz S65 AMG coupé. 

KS18L - Benz E63 AMG 

MSX - Dodge Hellcat

😉👍

• Like 1

I thought the Nikola was ugly at first, its grown on me now. Like all Gotway products, if it out performs all other wheels its looks can be forgiven. If the reviews say crazy fast acceleration and high speed climbing I'm in. I think the large wheel body helps with maneuverability and is more comfortable. I think these ergonomics make the KS18L a big win. My KS18L is embarrassingly loud and a stiff ride over rough pavement, also 1000wh, if the Nikola addresses my KS18L gripes I'll make the switch.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Mike Paolini said:

I also should add in terms of Quality - everyone BUT Gotway screwed up the last release cycle.  KingSong had battery issues, lockups and motherboard issues.  Ninebot Battery issues and mother board melts.  InMotion waterproofing and overloading and so on.  Gotway's old reputation is maybe not it's current reputation...

That is because GW did nothing new; no added features. They got better building the same device they have always built; as they should have. MSX for example is a very simple wheel; GW improved the build components, and that improvement is great; but, quite normal and within the realm of what customers should be able expect if you are building basically the same shit over and over again.  

As with any product line new tech and features add complexity. Complexity adds problems. Reliability wanes as complexity increases. This will happen with all wheel brands that dare to step up their game. For example; all problems with the KS18L were related to the new features and added complexities; I know because I have experienced them all; except wheel lockup (I escaped the issue until after the FW upgrade and experienced only the fail-safe shut-down).

For GW, the Nicola represents an attempt at a more refined wheel. Let's see how many years it takes them to get this one right. I wish them luck. I think that it's certainly a good idea for them to pursue a more refined approach to wheel building. 

1 hour ago, Mike Paolini said:

For what it is worth, I learned on Kingsong, spent 6 months riding them and thinking no way to Gotway because of safety concerns / build quality.  Fast forward a year.  I own only Gotways (mTen3 & MCM5) and prefer them to the KingSong.  We have a local KingSong Dealer here and I've put maybe 100 miles on the KS18L - felt like an upgraded KS16s to me, and I much prefer the Gotway ride.  It's sort of like comparing a minivan (Kingsong - safe, practical, boring) to a 2 door coupe (oh yea).  Since I ride for fun and exercise, I've become a Gotway fanboy.

That being said, I'm looking hard at the Z10 (problems and all because of The Tire and what it does to the ride), but holding off till I see the information drop on the KS16X and Nikola (which I suspect is just too expensive for what it is).

Well I have tested a Z10 a bit. But still waiting on release to my reigon. But how 9B history is, I can't see how to invest in a company behaviour and policy.

You might not know this but I have this little "inside" joke with @Marty Backe and GW.

There are things I like about the Nikola, but I lnow what to expect from the KS18XL, and unlike you, I like my KS18L a lot.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lutalo said:

That is because GW did nothing new; no added features.

How do you define new?

The Tesla (and the ACM 2 for that matter) have the most powerful motors, 2000 watt, and largest battery sizes for a 16-inch wheel (1020 for the Tesla and 1600wh for the ACM2).

The MCM 5 while ugly IMO is the most powerful 14-inch wheel with its 1500 watt motor.  And the electronics are beefy using what's in the msx I believe.

What features does the 18xl have that the 16s doesn't (serious question not being sarcastic), isn't it primarily just an 18 in wheel with refinements to firmware and more power

I'm not really interested in the Nikola except to maybe snag a pair of those larger pedals.  And I'm looking forward to what king songs going to do with the 16 x which will hopefully be revealed any day now.

But to say gotway has done nothing new doesn't seem quite accurate, even if what they're doing that's new is pushing the limits of 14 inch and 16 inch wheels through refinement and upgrades.

If the 16x is just a more powerful 16s with a different shell design then by that logic that's not really anything new either.

Maybe we're at the point where to be considered to be breaking new ground manufacturers have to start doing some of the things people have been discussing in this thread: https://forum.electricunicycle.org/topic/12788-things-the-manufacturers-dont-tell-you/?page=3

Or adding waterproofing would be a really nice new thing to do

Edited by Heyzeus
  • Like 3

Yesterday I lost traction in some thick mud and couldnt catch my wheel.  I would love a water rating good enough to clean it with a hose. I will try to avoid mud from now on :rolleyes:

I would also ride in the rain to work of I knew the wheel was designed for it. Water proofing should be a high priority for the manufacturers.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2