New GotWay Nikola 17''

On 12/30/2018 at 9:18 PM, Marty Backe said:

I have no engineering insight to Gotway's solution, but to say go with the bigger MOSFETs "just because", feels a bit like a religious argument. Unless we are provided with the schematics of their circuit design we don't have much basis for an argument, unless the new wheel starts burning up control boards.

We just need to find some Gotway early adopters :ph34r:

:clap3::thumbup: Good job Martry, you get first go on this....

But on the more serious side, despite what others think here, I kinda like the looks so far, beside the batman wannabe GW logo as taillight. 

And I don't know how the release of the scorpion tail would work with gloves on.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Unventor said:

And I don't know how the release of the scorpion tail would work with gloves on.

I was wondering that since the first time I saw it, but at that time they said it was a prototype so I figured they would sort that out, maybe not.

BTW I like the blingy look of the Nikola.  I think it is the one wheel that might get women talking to you rather than curling up their top lip and looking at you with disdain.  Or is that just my experience? :(

Edited by Smoother

9 minutes ago, Smoother said:

I was wondering that since the first time I saw it, but at that time they said it was a prototype so I figured they would sort that out, maybe not.

BTW I like the blingy look of the Nikola.  I think it is the one wheel that might get women talking to you rather than curling up their top lip and looking at you with disdain.  Or is that just my experience? :(

Maybe they should have made it look like a designer handbag.:thumbup:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Gotway is releasing some additional details via Facebook.

• The side lights go all red during overspeed (when you lift the wheel and let it rip). Cute, but can't see the value
  • This one is interesting - the headlamp is variable, from 500 to 1200 lumen, in a smooth gradient. 1200 ? :shock2:  Don't know how the brightness is controlled.
  • An improvement to the handle. A teaser with details on Friday.
  • Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

The side lights go all red during overspeed (when you lift the wheel and let it rip). Cute, but can't see the value

Bad accidents have happened because of overspeed.  People have missed the warning beeps.  The red lights would add to the notifications available that you are about to be dumped.

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, DanCar said:

Bad accidents have happened because of overspeed.  People have missed the warning beeps.  The red lights would add to the notifications available that you are about to be dumped.

I'm not convinced this overspeed LED signal corresponds to the 3rd alarm sound that we can't hear at high speeds. If it is, then you are correct.

9 hours ago, DanCar said:

Many will view the red lights as a target to achieve.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

King Songs do that now (LEDs go red during overspeed)  All it means is you have crashed, and your wheel has careened off, God knows where; to fetch help, probably, hence the red, emergency lights.

Edited by Smoother
  • Like 2

Those nikola pedals look beefy.

I hope Jason stocks some extra pairs, would be tempted to buy them, rip off the rubber and put on the sandpaper like grip tape. Hopefully they will be compatible with the acm/mcm eucs

My size 12 feet need larger pedals than the acm/msuper pedals.  

Edited by Heyzeus
  • Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/1/2019 at 3:36 AM, Nic said:

Looks like they haven't fixed the handle yet ... it can still guillotine your fingers off when closing. :wacko:

Good that it's sturdy enough that you can now pick the wheel up by the handle though!!!  Has to be considered an improvement on that original convoluted latch mechanism IMHO.

Edited by fbhb

Nikola pre-order pages are starting to go up, no indications of pricing on these pages though:

Urban360 Nikola pre-order

eroue Nikola pre-order

ecoDrift.ru Nikola pre-order

Wheel & Kick, a PEV distributor out of Korea, is reporting Nikola production will start end of March, with their first Korean pre-orders arriving tentatively early-to-mid April. In passing, they also estimated that the 1300Wh config Nikola, which they currently have on demo, will cost 1.6M ₩ / $1,417 USD.

Edited by houseofjob
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, houseofjob said:

Nikola pre-order pages are starting to go up, no indications of pricing on these pages though:

Urban360 Nikola pre-order

eroue Nikola pre-order

ecoDrift.ru Nikola pre-order

Wheel & Kick, a PEV distributor out of Korea, is reporting Nikola production will start end of March, with their first Korean pre-orders arriving tentatively early-to-mid April. In passing, they also estimated that the 1300Wh config Nikola, which they currently have on demo, will cost 1.6M ₩ / $1,417 USD.

On Facebook, Gotway just wrote May 1st

See this thread

• Upvote 2

31 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

On Facebook, Gotway just wrote May 1st

See this thread

Yes, Korea normally gets their wheels ahead of our US market (being right next to China), so +1 month for boat delivery does set US ETA around this stated May 1 date.

Edited by houseofjob
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, houseofjob said:

Yes, Korea normally gets their wheels ahead of our US market (being right next to China), so +1 month for boat delivery does set US ETA around this stated May 1 date.

Not that apparently anybody actually wants the Nikola, based on the generally underwhelming response that it's received :confused1:

Seems like it's going to be a flop - do we know anyone who's expressed an interest in this wheel, like the MSX?

3 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Seems like it's going to be a flop

I wonder why that is. It seems to do many things right on paper, yet no hype from this forum. 

I do like the tire size. At 1500 €/$ it should sell well. 

10 minutes ago, UniVehje said:

I wonder why that is. It seems to do many things right on paper, yet no hype from this forum. 

I do like the tire size. At 1500 €/$ it should sell well. 

it literally has nothing special about it.. everything about it has been done better by something else.. i think the handle is the only good thing about it lol