New GotWay Nikola 17''

2 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Jason has confirmed that he is getting one of these pre-production Nikola's sent directly to me from Gotway. Hopefully I'll have it within a month. Than the testing begins :dribble:

Yipee! Looking forward to your review. Gee, I wish I had a close friend like @Jason McNeil 😂

• Like 2

According to @EcoDrift's comment on the disassembly video, the mosfets used in the Nikola are called HY3712P and the package seems to be called TO-220.

Someone more knowledgable must tell us what that means and how they compare to the TO-247 and the old Tesla level mosfets. Max current seems to be 170A but I really don't know how to properly interpret the data sheet I found: https://datasheet.lcsc.com/szlcsc/HUAYI-HY3712B_C330371.pdf

Credit goes to @eddiemoy for asking about the mosfets first:P

Edited by meepmeepmayer
clarification
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Anyone know the Tesla and MSX mosfet designations? Not the package names? Trying to find data sheets to compare to.

Found 200A rated/nominal/continuous and 600A max for the MSX ones - compared to 170A rated/585A max (???) on the Nikola ones - but not sure if these numbers are correct.

If they are, it's not such a big downgrade as it may seem.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Anyone know the Tesla and MSX mosfet designations? Not the package names? Trying to find data sheets to compare to.

Found 200A rated/nominal/continuous and 600A max for the MSX ones - compared to 170A rated/585A max (???) on the Nikola ones - but not sure if these numbers are correct.

I haven't been able to watch that video yet. Are there indeed only 6-MOSFETs?

14 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Are there indeed only 6-MOSFETs?

No, just smaller ones compared to the MSX (there's nothing new in the video compared to the extensive photo disassembly article). But there seem to be 12 (screws in the middle of the board, just like the MSX board which only seems to have different mosfets but is otherwise the same) .

I believe the 6 might be the MCM5 (3p instead of 6p battery = half the current = half the mosfets, maybe?) or maybe thast's just a rumor, never seen a picture of an MCM5 board.

Monokoleso-Gotway-Nikola-razbiraem-24.jp

So basically a 15% downgrade from the MSX, which isn't that bad. (Hardware downgrade, they seem to have a new motor control algorithm so that will do something.)

Edited by meepmeepmayer
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

No, just smaller ones compared to the MSX (there's nothing new in the video compared to the extensive photo disassembly article). But there seem to be 12 (screws in the middle of the board, just like the MSX board which only seems to have different mosfets but is otherwise the same) .

I believe the 6 might be the MCM5 (3p instead of 6p battery = half the current = half the mosfets, maybe?) or maybe thast's just a rumor, never seen a picture of an MCM5 board.

Monokoleso-Gotway-Nikola-razbiraem-24.jp

So basically a 15% downgrade from the MSX, which isn't that bad.

BTW, notice how Gotway spells Nikola

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Who's right? Original name is with k, but if they use a c... it's their decision after all... who's right?

Can't even reliably blame their incompetence now;)

2 minutes ago, eddiemoy said:

Nicola, the Chinese way.  LMAO

Seems to me we should use their designation.

But watch, their shipping boxes will probably say Nikola :lol:

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

the mosfets look to be pretty significant.  i know the mosfets are used to switch current to the different phases in the motor to simulate a 3 phase motor.  not sure if they are used in parallel.  if they are nothing to really worry about.  that 6x 170amps or 1020amps.  

1 minute ago, eddiemoy said:

the mosfets look to be pretty significant.

They look so small compared to the TO-247 huge blocks, but if they're good (someone knowledgable please tell us), I'm happy with that.

Now if the wheel was smaller and cheaper, it would be the perfect 16 incher spec-wise.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Jason has confirmed that he is getting one of these pre-production Nikola's sent directly to me from Gotway. Hopefully I'll have it within a month. Than the testing begins :dribble:

It'll eventually be in @houseofjob's hands for the city testing, but this time you get to wait :P

Congratulations Marty!  Wow....an East/ West competition!  Stay strong @houseofjob! :thumbup:  I’m sure Marty will work out all of the bugs before it arrives at your doorstep. ***Be sure to shake Nikola before riding. California Scorpians can be deadly. ;)

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

It’s easy! Just buy 13 wheels from @Jason McNeil:)

To be fair, I've only bought 8-wheels from @Jason McNeil. Well, I guess 9 if you include the 18XL B)

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

To be fair, I've only bought 8-wheels from @Jason McNeil. Well, I guess 9 if you include the 18XL B)

Sorry for my fuzzy math. Sooo hard to keep tabs on all of your purchases. ;)

Jason(J) JJ China(C)C JJ C C JJJJ

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

You bought one?

I'm very impressed with the KS18XL. For how I ride, it never gave me tilt-back, even after the very long rides and low battery. And after multiple range tests I concluded that the XL has about 10-percent more range than the MSuper line of wheels. Jason's  letting me buy the test wheel that went across the country. Maybe since it's used that doesn't count towards my total :confused1:

3 minutes ago, houseofjob said:

giphy.gif

:laughbounce2:

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Marty Backe said:

Jason's  letting me buy the test wheel that went across the country. Maybe since it's used that doesn't count towards my total :confused1:

Chooch used? Ok, I agree. ;)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

20,000!!! Congrats Marty!! 

Ohh at first I thought you were putting in a bid to @Jason McNeil on that test KS18XL demo unit...

Until it hit me that you count in us$ and that might be a little high price to pay, unless you had it signed Approved by The Marty wheelman in gold. Since he is famous. 

Then I saw @Marty Backe forum score, gratz Marty.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

I'm very impressed with the KS18XL. For how I ride, it never gave me tilt-back, even after the very long rides and low battery. And after multiple range tests I concluded that the XL has about 10-percent more range than the MSuper line of wheels. Jason's  letting me buy the test wheel that went across the country. Maybe since it's used that doesn't count towards my total :confused1:

Wow, I'm surprised. Now finally you can sell your old msuper V3 and still have a backup 18 incher.

"Only" 10% difference is in line with the diode of evil in your MSX. So both wheels seem to have the same range under normal circumstances.

Chooch-used, indeed. But if the price is good...

20 minutes ago, Unventor said:

Or standing order on anything new, works too. 🤩

If I were rich, that's what I'd do. Contact every manufacturer and say "you got something, send one over, here's my CC" *smug smile*.

1 minute ago, Unventor said:

Ohh at first I thought...

I wondered at first if Marty had somehow spent $20k on wheels. Not quite there yet... or is he?

-

To stay on topic: I'm sure the next wheel will be a Gotway again. It's called Nikola (or Nicola? Nicole? Something like that.).

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1