New GotWay Nikola 17''

40 minutes ago, Ben Kim said:

So, I received my Nikola 100V today alongside my DOA Monster 3 (check @houseofjob posts regarding that fiasco), and it looks like they made a few fit and finish improvements, and a few things I noticed that were different from the first batch.  First time on a 100V wheel and took it up to 35 MPH and it was astounding how fast I was going without trying all that hard.  

The positives:

- The finger-slicing "Gotway Nikola" stickers appear to be adhered properly and covered with a piece of tape during transit.

- The GW sticker is on there nice and flush, no issues.  

- The USB/charge port covers are much easier to pull out, yet still firmly secure.

- The fan appears to be more silent than the first batch.

The negatives:

- the motor isn't nearly as silent at speed compared to the first batch.  

- the headlight isn't as bright as the first batch; it doesn't project very well and is a very dim useless light.  I will try to find a first batch 100V Nikola to compare, unless I am stupid and don't know how to change the intensity of the headlight?

I recently got a nikola 100v, the "y" in gotway was missing and it said "gotwa" on it.  The middle GW decal was peeling off.  The fan is loud and it just turns on w/o even riding.  Other than that, it's the best riding wheel that I've used at least.  I like it better than my msx 100v, except for trails msx wins still.  It weights 10 lbs more than the msx 100v though.  

Edited by photorph
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

The stickers being terrible quality and not sticking I'm not that worried about.  The fan is kind of annoying, loud and not sure why it turns on before I even ride it.  But really my main complaint is the noises it makes, walk into a coffee shop and turn this on/off and everyone will turn around and look at you.  I posted a video on my instagram (@photorph85) of the start up sound, it's mildly infuriating.  

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Ben Kim said:

So, I received my Nikola 100V today alongside my DOA Monster 3 (check @houseofjob posts regarding that fiasco), and it looks like they made a few fit and finish improvements, and a few things I noticed that were different from the first batch.  First time on a 100V wheel and took it up to 35 MPH and it was astounding how fast I was going without trying all that hard.  

The positives:

- The finger-slicing "Gotway Nikola" stickers appear to be adhered properly and covered with a piece of tape during transit.

- The GW sticker is on there nice and flush, no issues.  

- The USB/charge port covers are much easier to pull out, yet still firmly secure.

- The fan appears to be more silent than the first batch.

The negatives:

- the motor isn't nearly as silent at speed compared to the first batch.  

- the headlight isn't as bright as the first batch; it doesn't project very well and is a very dim useless light.  I will try to find a first batch 100V Nikola to compare, unless I am stupid and don't know how to change the intensity of the headlight?

I didn’t think it possible for them to produce a wheel with a worse light then they had on the 84 V. That’s depressing.  I would think that would be one of the easier things to get right but then they can’t figure out how to put stickers on the shells so...........

The Nikola plus seems to be the next best wheel. Still think the MSX is still a better all rounder for it’s mix of offround ground clearance and onroad capability.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 8/17/2019 at 4:16 AM, Patton250 said:

I didn’t think it possible for them to produce a wheel with a worse light then they had on the 84 V. That’s depressing.  I would think that would be one of the easier things to get right but then they can’t figure out how to put stickers on the shells so...........

worse light? i thought the light was fantastic i tested it out and it damn near lights up the entire trail at night.. no problem going 50 in the pitch black using that, then again ive never used an euc head light that i didnt think was way more than enough for any speed and conditions

9 hours ago, MBIKER_SURFER said:

Can anybody tell me, which connector is on the charger/nikola EUC?

Did anybody get his Nikola from Ali in the last 4 weeks with the updated motherboard('big' mosfets)?

same as every other gotway.. 84V is 4 pin aviation, 100V is 5 pin

51 minutes ago, Dzlchef said:

So I finally received a proper replacement board for my Nikola and the 2 LED strips so my plan is to swap tomorrow.  A couple weeks ago I ordered a CST-1488 replacement tire before all the 16X owners grab them up, and mine was wearing.  It came today and I compared to the current and was astonished to find the tread totally smooth, 1600 miles.   That’s a really soft tire, no wonder it has good road feel.  I guess tomorrow’s agenda includes a tire exchange but it’ll be like new again. 

3DC1B1E5-DFD2-4E01-92B8-6E1F98DB8D13.jpeg

wow.. ive had multiple eucs with twice that mileage and the tire looked way better than that.. that thing is almost perfectly smooth lmao, you riding on sandpaper or something xD

• Upvote 3

58 minutes ago, Rywokast said:

wow.. ive had multiple eucs with twice that mileage and the tire looked way better than that.. that thing is almost perfectly smooth lmao, you riding on sandpaper or something xD

My 16S has over 2500 miles and only looks half worn.  This tire just wears fast, at least the way I ride.  Glad it’s not too expensive.

• Like 2

Just now, Dzlchef said:

My 16S has over 2500 miles and only looks half worn.  This tire just wears fast, at least the way I ride.  Glad it’s not too expensive.

hmm, thats a shame.. nikola seems like a more difficult GW wheel to get to the wheel heh,, yea thats good at least

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, mrelwood said:

GX16-4 and GX16-5 might give more results on Ebay or Ali.

thanks i never knew the actual name haha, i should remember that.. in 3d printing we usually just refer to them as aviation connectors

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, Dzlchef said:

I'm at 1800 on the 16s but its basically bald, the mcm5 only gets about 1k miles. I'm still hoping for a wheel that has easier tire changes.  Better tire availability would be great also, or at the very least knowing what is pictured is what they will send out when you buy one. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Flying W said:

I'm at 1800 on the 16s but its basically bald, the mcm5 only gets about 1k miles. I'm still hoping for a wheel that has easier tire changes.  Better tire availability would be great also, or at the very least knowing what is pictured is what they will send out when you buy one. 

ikr.. i would way prefer something that had easier tire changes than something that looked perfectly clean from the outside.. make one small panel on either side to access the screws holding on the inner casing, and another to access the motor cable.. instead of having to access and unplug lights, remove pads and the whole outer shell just to get to those screws and the motor connector.. i would definitely pay more if it meant that i didnt ever have to remove pads, unplug lights and forcibly remove side panels just to access the tire.. theres no reason why they couldnt make access panels with just a couple screws to remove in order to unplug the motor cable and separate the inner shell from the pedal arms.. at the very least make it so no one ever has to rip off adhesive pads and make those pads clip in like ninebot and inmotion and affix the outer shell with some hex screws going into brass inserts, no more prying and forcibly ripping off outer shells

Edited by Rywokast
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Dzlchef said:

I can testify that changing the tire on the Nikola is a real PITA!  You have to take out every screw on both sides of the shell to separate so you can access the tire.  For the tire change, I suggest tire lube and patience or significant amounts of swearing, whatever works for you.  

Feeling good to have a new Nikola again, new tire, new board, new LEDs.  It only took 6 hours of my time!

I know you don't like to create videos, but man, it sure would have been nice to document the effort for others.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

I know you don't like to create videos, but man, it sure would have been nice to document the effort for others.

Yeah, but it’s enough of a pain to do the repair in the first place and I only have a phone for video.  The design with identical sides results in the need to take every screw out, after removing the board.  It’d be nice to drop the wheel out the bottom of the shell for a tire change, and it looks like it’s possible but I couldn’t figure out how to remove that section.

You need to be careful putting the sides back together, feed the cutoff switch wire back inside the slit in the interior shell before joining.  Make sure the cutoff switch is floating free and not pinched when joining.   The rest is just time wrenching and applying silicone. 

• Like 3

I love this wheel!

I hate this wheel!

I love this wheel!

I hate this wheel!

Argh!!!

Taking the wheel out for a tire “break-in” and got only a couple miles when I noticed the wheel riding and carving funny.  Thought that I might have got the tread direction flipped, but no.  I got a severe leak and ended up walking the wheel home.  I don’t have time for this bullish!t!

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Dzlchef said:

Taking the wheel out for a tire “break-in” and got only a couple miles when I noticed the wheel riding and carving funny.  Thought that I might have got the tread direction flipped, but no.  I got a severe leak and ended up walking the wheel home.  I don’t have time for this bullish!t!

Slime! Sliiiiimeee!