Z10 MAX SPEED UNLOCK TO 56km/h TESTS REPORT

GyroRideRz

6 hours ago, who_the said:

At speed approaching or exceeding 30 mph on any wheel, be sure to practice your hard braking and downhills. Every "big" wheel I've ever ridden wants to wobble under emergency braking until you 1) you grasp the dynamics and 2) nip the oscillation in the bud with a pre-emptive squeeze high and back on the frame. The MSX, Z10, Monster and 18XL want to behave like this in my experience but can all be tamed.

I was wondering if this was normal under hard braking. I just assumed it was something I would have to get used to. My Z10 and Monster both want to wobble under hard braking. I am going to try the high squeeze you mention with my Monster, but I am gun shy about it on the Z10. I got bucked from it trying to get the brake wobble out by squeezing the case not long ago.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/29/2019 at 9:07 AM, who_the said:

I have ridden almost 300 miles on this unlocked firmware, about 100 of that after unlocking to 34.1 mph about a week ago. The Z10 has been super solid, absolutely nothing sketchy whatsoever at either unlock level. No problems at speed even over bumps, ruts or moderate potholes. This unlock allows the wheel to perform adequately at its rated speed (~ 28 mph), which out of the box it does not, beeping and tilting north of 25.

I'm prepared to recommend this unlock, but only to expert riders who 1) ride with full gear (anybody riding at 30+ needs helmet and gear — period) and 2) can feel and know how to respond to feedback from their wheel's motor. One of the great things about the Z10 is the physical feedback from its motor. It always lets you know when it's working hard, either under acceleration or braking (which is much improved from the prototype in the current firmware). You feel sort of a buzzing, a stepping, a rhythmic pulse that lets you know the motor is working.

At speed approaching or exceeding 30 mph on any wheel, be sure to practice your hard braking and downhills. Every "big" wheel I've ever ridden wants to wobble under emergency braking until you 1) you grasp the dynamics and 2) nip the oscillation in the bud with a pre-emptive squeeze high and back on the frame. The MSX, Z10, Monster and 18XL want to behave like this in my experience but can all be tamed.

Thanks @MRN76 for your work on the firmware, much appreciated! Truly "unlocks" the potential of this very cool and unique wheel.

Totally agree. 

I would add that you have to constantly getting focus on the road and ride being prepared to see something appears sunddently in front of you.

Doing this is a great way to prevent emergency brake in case of danger.

@MRN76 is my hero :-D

Edited by GyroRideRz
  • Like 1

woah so much written .. im very late...  

Im testing the Z6 and i unlocked the speed limit to 46 to avoid the noise of the limit. i was worried about overleaning forward or something like that and got 44.3Km/h and it was "hard for me to faster" at that moment. i felt like woah, im not reaching this speed in most of my tracks and now i have avoided the annoying noise. :thumbup: 

now i see that this topic explains much better than me the same feelings and for the moment my Z6 is very well, havent noticed battery decrease or so, im very happy, but of course, i have been ridin 2-3 years and the hack isnt for everybody. if the Z is your 1st wheel Dont apply the hack... because for example in my case in some curves i went almost out of the road and i work as a segway trainer/tourist guide and i see a lot of dumb people. Anyway i believe wheelers know by themselfs if they can do it or not.  

Im still testing... i shouldnt because i dont have all the protections but im gonna try again, to be honest i dont pretend to stablish another record, i am ok with my Z16 

69d3ee5c-7d02-47ee-98cb-7c528e9da860.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, Javierito Gar Costinha said:

because for example in my case in some curves i went almost out of the road and i work as a segway trainer/tourist guide and i see a lot of dumb people. Anyway i believe wheelers know by themselfs if they can do it or not.  

Im still testing... i shouldnt because i dont have all the protections but im gonna try again, to be honest i dont pretend to stablish another record, i am ok with my Z16 

I'm glad the hack is making your regular riding experience better, but I want you to read the bold sections above and, pretending someone else wrote it, then give "that person" some advice that you would wish someone would give you in the same situation.

I don't want hear about two of these in the same month:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Javierito Gar Costinha said:

because for example in my case in some curves i went almost out of the road and i work as a segway trainer/tourist guide and i see a lot of dumb people

Are there ninebot elite of them?

On 1/29/2019 at 3:20 PM, Girth Brooks said:

I was wondering if this was normal under hard braking. I just assumed it was something I would have to get used to. My Z10 and Monster both want to wobble under hard braking. I am going to try the high squeeze you mention with my Monster, but I am gun shy about it on the Z10. I got bucked from it trying to get the brake wobble out by squeezing the case not long ago.

I have had the same thing 

on my way back from work about a 15 degree decent  my wheel went on to a nasty wobble I was wetting my pant managed to slow down  but it  felt like it went on for ever

I had a nasty fall  / highside afew  weeks ago  still nursing a sore shoulder

• Like 1

4 hours ago, gidimille said:

I have had the same thing 

on my way back from work about a 15 degree decent  my wheel went on to a nasty wobble I was wetting my pant managed to slow down  but it  felt like it went on for ever

I had a nasty fall  / highside afew  weeks ago  still nursing a sore shoulder

It may be worth giving @houseofjob s asymmetric braking force technique a try. He's owned a lot of wheels and he's ridden more than any particular handful of us combined, so his thoughts on the subject come from a lot of experience.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, ir_fuel said:

Don't know if I should call this amazing or simply completely crazy :lol: 

The top speed or the total distance :blink:

I have a hard time imagining how much riding it takes to accumulate that kind of distance in ~5-months.

I've never ridden a wheel at those speeds. I hope he manages to stay healthy.

• Like 1