Upgrade from V8 - hilly country!

travsformation

If I get close to 40 miles range on the 18L, I'll be stoked! I weigh close to 180. My V5F can do close to 14 miles range and that's what I'm used to, so I think I'll be content for at least 6 months or so... I might just get the V8 next though for my dancing habit...😜

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn. I was hoping for 2300 max for you (and everyone else expecting reasonable wheel prices):efeeab781c:

Me too! The dealer (this is a kind of drug, after all) usually offers discounts but said that he can't do so for a wheel that's just been released. To wait, or not to wait, that is the question... 😂

My brain says wait : you might be able to get it cheaper in a few months' time, and maybe even dodge the manufacturing issues that often come with first batches. 

But my heart says "you only live once, go for it!", while also trying to convince my brain that a 3-4 month wait might result in frying my V8 on these hills. 

I've NEVER been in debt, had a mortgage, or paid for a car in instalments (the 18XL costs almost as much as I paid for my second hand, 1996 Suzuki Vitara) , but as you said,  "that's what I get for getting into EUCs" 😅😂

Or to summarise, as soon as I get confirmation that there are still units available, I'll pre-order. And if my brain tries to get in the way of my impulsive decision, I'll just get drunk and use my CREDIT card 😂

Ask if you can get the wheel with the bigger pedals instead of the default ones. Only Jason's wheels come with the bigger pedals by default (as he's the one who basically forced KS to finally make bigger pedals and paid for it), the rest of the 18XL come with the normal old KS pedals unless someone tells them to include the bigger pedals right away. You'd save an extra 100 or so.

51 minutes ago, travsformation said:

The dealer (this is a kind of drug, after all)

51 minutes ago, travsformation said:

Or to summarise, as soon as I get confirmation that there are still units available, I'll pre-order. And if my brain tries to get in the way of my impulsive decision, I'll just get drunk and use my CREDIT card 😂

Second quote confirms the first:efee8319ab:

If someone had told you this would happen before you got your V8, what would you have thought?:efee8319ab:

Well, nothing else to say here than: Congratulations on the nice wheel!

There are still units available! And I have confirmation abut the bigger pedals:

2h2fsi1.jpg

:eff034a94a::thumbup:

17 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Second quote confirms the first:efee8319ab:

Hahahaha that's for sure. If I end up living under a bridge, at least I'll still have my wheel! :efee612b4b:  (I'm glad I have a motorhome as backup housing. Next step will be to figure out whether my current solar panel setup [150W] will be enough to feed the wheel...

If someone had told you this would happen before you got your V8, what would you have thought?:efee8319ab:

Hahaha

Congratulations on the nice wheel!

Thanks dude! When I get it (waiting for confirmation whether it'll be week 51, 52, or 1st two weeks of January). Will add to this thread when I get it, as it might be useful info for anyone else living in similarly hilly areas and wanting to upgrade.

10 minutes ago, Rama Douglas said:

Well, I received enough pressure from the community to hold out for the XL! Gonna pay the difference $oon, and wait it out! Stoked, but man, more waiting! 😬

When you do get it,let us know and we'll take it out for a proper group ride shake down.We can even get that @Marty Backe dude to join us if you don't mind.:D

2 hours ago, Rama Douglas said:

Well, I received enough pressure from the community to hold out for the XL! Gonna pay the difference $oon, and wait it out! Stoked, but man, more waiting! 😬

Cool! Hope I didn't unwillingly push you, via my enthusiasm, yo get the XL! But if I did contribute to tip the scale...all the better. I think it's worthwhile to pay extra and not find yourself wanting an upgrade 6 months from now. On the other hand...damn, is the waiting hard!!!! Anyway, congrats on the wheel! I think you made the right choice! :thumbup:

19 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

"The big pedals will be available also" is not the same as "your 18XL comes with the big pedals right away". I'm trying to help your wallet and sanity with this by keeping the overall price under 2500

I know, thanks. :) I figure that since my distributor won''t be receiving the XL for another couple of weeks, I'd give him a break for today (I've been pestering him all day long) and push the subject gradually, see if I can get them included with the XL instead of paying extra. Let's just hope my patience pays off...(then again, it'll be the second wheel I buy off him in 2 months' time...for any distributor, I'm clearly a valuable customer worth pampering a bit with free upgrades, I reckon) :efefa6edcf:

Archived