Wheel Guard for MSuper X

Are there any wheel guards available for the MSuper X?

I was riding my wheel whilst wearing a long coat with the tail flapping in the breeze when all of a sudden the tail of my coat got caught in the wheel causing it to jam! I believe I was doing about 30km/h at the time and hit my head quite firmly on the pavement. Fortunately I was wearing a bicycle helmet at the time but I was non the less still quite affected and spent a night in hospitable with a fairly serious concussion and took the better part of a week to recover.

Obviously I would like to prevent this from happening again so have been trying to think of a way to build a guard around the wheel. I know there are mud guards available to prevent water and muck being thrown up on you but I want something more substantial that rather than protecting the rider from stuff being thrown out will actually prevent debris entering. Something that comes down and actually covers the wheel such that you can't see the wheel from behind.

Something a little like this:
baron-custom-road-star.jpg?itok=JHe6QBSS

I am considering slitting a short length of 5" Polly pipe in half lengthwise and finding a way to attach one of these "trough-shaped" pieces over the back of the wheel, but I am not sure how I'm going to do it. Has anyone done anything like this themselves?

5 hours ago, Slartibartfast said:

I was riding my wheel whilst wearing a long coat with the tail flapping in the breeze when all of a sudden the tail of my coat got caught in the wheel causing it to jam! I believe I was doing about 30km/h at the time and hit my head quite firmly on the pavement. Fortunately I was wearing a bicycle helmet at the time but I was non the less still quite affected and spent a night in hospitable with a fairly serious concussion and took the better part of a week to recover.

Glad you recovered! The cause of your accident might actually be a first on the forum. 

5 hours ago, Slartibartfast said:

Obviously I would like to prevent this from happening again

I would first consider wearing a shorter coat while riding. Even with a mud guard if you turn the long coat could still possibly lodge under the wheel from the side. 

16 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

I would first consider wearing a shorter coat while riding.

Yep that's the answer.

16 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

The cause of your accident might actually be a first on the forum. 

Tishawn Fahie had a crash on his Monster when his jacket got caught in the tire. It was one of the videos where he is on the West coast. So if that video was posted here, it's not technically a first on the forum *nitpick*:efeebb3acc:

2 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Yep that's the answer.

Tishawn Fahie had a crash on his Monster when his jacket got caught in the tire. It was one of the videos where he is on the West coast. So if that video was posted here, it's not technically a first on the forum *nitpick*:efeebb3acc:

Good recall! I should update the EUC Wikipedia site and list you as a trivia virtuoso. 

It appears to be a sleeve that slides on over the top and it looks as though Eddi makes them himself. He (I assume he) sent me a few extra photos:

Cuering.thumb.jpg.ea16a2306273fea4ed0b424c3dc193ff.jpg

Fiber.thumb.jpg.672ee24f903e90d7b6ad0c490aa8fd3e.jpg

It would seem the sleeve covers the vertical lights:

Lights.thumb.jpeg.c2d85c07ee6e528a6f61310aae09a7f6.jpeg

However Eddi seems capable of doing relatively elaborate custom work:

Skull.thumb.jpeg.a7faa68c87c9ab06bd08b8e0f4cfbe8c.jpeg

Looks like good work but I have no idea about pricing or shipping.

Slartibartfast, thank you for your post. The final look of this cover is fabulous but I think it is formed of fiberglass. As far as I know this is rather a brittle material, unless I'm wrong... Regarding vertical lights I'm not a big fan of those and in fact I don't use them at all, so them being hidden would never bother me. I'd love to here from "eddi" how strong this material is and how resistant to smashing. Also if he would be willing to make such a thing again and sell it and how much he would charge for it. Hopping for him/her to answer...

I believe you'd do it with fiberglass mats + epoxy resin (glue). It can be VERY strong, boats are made of this. Rowboats, sailboats, motorboats... pretty much anything under 25m will be fiberglass by default (unless built from metal for some reason). Maybe 1 or 1.5cm thick fiberglass used there.

You'd build it by covering the wheel shell with something (plastic so nothing sticks to the wheel), and then cut and glue layers of fiberglass mats on it until it is thick enough. Let it cure, cut the edges clean and straight, and paint it. Just like boat, fiberglass car parts (carbon fiber is the same with mats woven from carbon fibers instead of glass fibers), etc.

Look up boat works videos or "How to build fiberglass X" on YouTube. Lots of stuff.

As @meepmeepmayer states above, fiberglass can be VERY, VERY strong! After all along with all the applications meep has already mentioned, all crash helmets were once solely made using fiberglass construction!

On 12/5/2018 at 5:54 PM, meepmeepmayer said:

You need to build some kind of mold where you can lay out the mats in the right shape. Usually from plywood with a cover of paint making it smooth and non-sticky.

Yeah grateful material, heck even carbon fiber if wanting something a bit more special and/or follow it's existing looks is not as expensive these days as it once was although more problematic and how many got vacuum/autoclave capabilities at home, honestly? :lol:

I played around with a few simple fast to make fenders myself at home cause I realized to be fully dry on wet days that fender need to extended a lot just like that painted full sleeve, that looks like a smart solution by the way and give some options in regards to custom looks overall without messing up the original part even, clever.

I did a few in .5 (mm) Alu and .5 Stainless and can be done in 30 min if one have access to any decent machine shop, just make a paper stencil and when happy cut out the piece then bending brake for final shape and slight 90 degree tab for attachment. 

But surface of the Msuper is not perfectly flat even if almost looking like that (for attachment) and a ever so slight radius might be needed to fully seal the fenders attachment points to the case and picky + I want to play a round and often only got some minutes over when home from work so tried thin plastics and works even better for testing out different solution until I feel happy and want to make a final solution, can also be bent easier to follow the not 100% flat backside of the case. Everyone have got plastics at home right, just attach with double sided tape for testing )or final), plastics, scissors and a carpet knife is all one need and anyone can do it, just allow imagination to flow free. Does not have to complicated or even need a brake to make perfect bends, can also cut ever so slightly in a straight line into the plastic but just at the surface on the opposite side of which you intend to bend it and will come easy and natural, endless possibilities if not limiting ourselves and anything from the simplest 10-15 min fender to works of art taking a lot of time to make?

What I do not like about the MSX is these (imho nasty leds), not a lot of surface on the inside to attach to, space is occupied but outside work too a decent double adhesive will keep it in place but can also be removed later, or attach rails if must take it on/off all the time, I got of sick of exactly just that come autumn , early winter here

• 4 weeks later...

If you look up "ass savers" on Amazon then you'll come up with these plastic fenders that sorta work on the rear of your MSuper. I have tested mine on my MSuper and it would work to stop your tailcoat from fouling the wheel as well as preventing a rooster tail, but it does require a bit of ghetto tape.

You must tape these fenders on; I've found half a dozen laying on the ground over the years at my local large park, and I lost mine (on my bike) a few times. 

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, Williepimpin said:

There is no way this is real or how can it slip on with the handle going all the way through? I would love to hear more about this. If I'm wrong then very nice and I look forward to hearing more.

easy.. because there is a gap here.. that is the shell of the MSX youre seeing where the red circle is.. this cover slips over top with a gap there, just the lighting makes the two hard to distinguish, of course it would be impossible without that gap

Lights.thumb.jpeg.c2d85c07ee6e528a6f61310aae09a7f6.jpeg

Archived