Flat tire KS14D

Brandon Cohen

I was riding my 14D tonight and was going up a hill (steep, but not crazy steep). There were people coming around the corner so I stepped off and walked the corner. Then I got back on and notice it felt really weird. Turns out my tire went flat.

I was riding through some places I normally don't, big parking lot, grass, etc. But I don't see anything in the wheel.

I got home and reinflated the wheel and can hear the air coming out, but can't find a place on the outside.

I'm not very handy with this stuff so I have no idea how to go about changing the tire, tube, or anything else that could have caused this.

Suggestions please!

Spray some soapy water on your tire after you pump it up and look for the bubbles. If it's a hole and not too large slime might repair it, if it's a cut your going to have to replace the tube. 

If you find the leak make sure what ever causes it isnt there anymore. I hit a bottle on my mnt bike and there was glass in multiple places.

Hopefully it's a flat that slime can repair. Marty has a video showing slime fixing a puncture on one of his wheels. 

What was your tire pressure? A lot of flat tires reported here lately, but they are really rare, so I'm wondering if low tire pressure was the culprit. Pump it up to the max it says on the tire! Also, if you can hear the leaking from the outside, it's going to be a bigger gash and you need a new tube.

Here's an Original MartyTM disassembly video so you know what's waiting for you. There are lots of other videos, too. As for the tube, replace it or repair it like a bicycle tube (because that's what it is).

Another one. You don't have to remove the battery or anything, just separate the shell halves to get to the motor you don't have to separate the shell halves, see post by US69 below. Try to keep the motor cable (left) side on the motor and remove the other (right) side only (I assume that's possible). And a tip: remove the pedals first, or they'll always be in the way and annoy you to death.

First thing after opening should be disconnecting the battery and switching the wheel on until it dies to drain electricity.

edit: Maybe there is some way to drop the motor out of the shell, that would make it easier, I'm not sure. @US69

Yes, try the slime. If it doesn't fix the problem you will have to go through a lot of trouble to replace...

1. Get special innertube with bent valve (ewheels)
  2. Remove outer shell casing (many small screws)
  3. Disconnect battery (from the hub/rim)
  4. Separate hub from shell (big screws)
  5. Remove tire and replace innertube
  6. Reassemble (so many screws)

Unfortunately, it's a long drawn out process that seems very intimidating, but is mostly just time consuming.

I got a flat my first day out on a KS14C and it took me a month to figure out how to fix (but actual repair took about an hour). Watch the forum videos and don't worry, you won't forget how to ride.

21 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Another one. You don't have to remove the battery or anything, just separate the shell halves to get to the motor. Try to keep the motor cable (left) side on the motor and remove the other (right) side only (I assume that's possible). And a tip: remove the pedals first, or they'll always be in the way and annoy you to death.

Actually the Shell has NOT to been split for a tire Change....

Just:

- Open both sideplates(outer Shell parts)

- Disconnect the  Motor and sensor cables from board

- Unscrew all  5 pedal screws each side

- Now Drop out the complete Motor under the Shell....

And this process goes for ALL KingSong wheels KS14, KS16; KS18...no Need to seperate Shell halves...

I remember you wtiting that your daily route crosses rail road tracks. Maybe you started a leak going over tracks and worsened the leak with the route you described recently. 

The pinch leak might begin for dips or holes in your route for which the tire rim bottoms out.

Pinch flats:

https://bicycles.stackexchange.com/questions/16480/what-are-pinch-flats

"Pinch flats or snakebites are caused when the rim bottoms out and the tube gets pinched between the rim and the tire and punctures - usually 2 smallish holes 10mm (1/2 inch) apart, hence the name "snakebite" because that what it looks like."

21 hours ago, Brandon Cohen said:

Hellllp. I suck at this. Glad I got this used because I have damaged it quite a bit trying to take it apart :(

Here's where I'm at. Can't figure out how to get the case off. Watch the video above with no avail. (Had to be quiet cause the baby is sleeping)

I think you haven't removed the screws underneath the light strips. There is a tab to release (but don't force it). 

Once you get the light strips loose there are several more small screws...

On ‎11‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 5:45 PM, RayRay said:

I think you haven't removed the screws underneath the light strips. There is a tab to release (but don't force it). 

Once you get the light strips loose there are several more small screws...

I agree... That fact that your LED covers are still on would suggest that you missed these - there are four screws under each strip.

Use a small screwdriver or plastic blade and slide it in at the top end. You should be able to lever it up and out, then unplug and you will have access to the screws.

Archived