KS 16S as a commuter machine

gena

41 minutes ago, LanghamP said:

I don't like the way Tishawn swings his arms as if he needs to heave his wheel into the turns. A good wheel is so neautral that mere brain waves without any body motion controls your wheel, and the big Gotway wheels don't like turns.

With very few exceptions the videos of EUC riding are just riding in straight lines with 90% turns, and I think that is a poor review of wheel handling. Chooch is one of the few riders who does curves, and it's illuminating to see he totally hangs off his MSupers because the wheel tries to stay upright.

Why do Gotways not like turns? Bad tire profile, odd battery placement, maybe software related?

Not sure, but definitely not software related.  I felt this reluctance to turn sometimes in the V10F.  But can be overcome with how you turn.  Like in the V10F, I started experimenting with leaning with my toes and shifting my weight forward instead of back or neutral.  This allowed me to turn correctly and the body leaned as well.  Same seems to be with the MSX and when I tried for a brief period the z10.  

The V10F had some weird behavior when trying to turn using your upper body certain speeds.  Not sure.  Have to experiment more.  

3 minutes ago, gena said:

Actually the KS 18XL was first on my shortlist, msx second. Only circumstances  -- where can one buy the 18xl, at a chinese price, but with minimal confidence? -- and frustration -- do Kingsong plan to apply the same fix they did on 18(x)l trolleys to the ks 16s ? -- led me to this decision. I will try and post an update on how I find the ride on the msx compared to the 16s :)

The XL has an upgraded handle.  Magnesium and much better than the initial handle on the 18L. 

I hated the Msuper when I got it a year ago.  So much so that I refused to ride it.  I was just coming from the KS16 and KS18S.  

7 minutes ago, RockyTop said:

Heavier wheels ( the weight in the wheel is closer to the tire and less at the axle. This creates more centripetal force) + The shell has more weight further forward and back than some wheels.  ( and lower) 

This extra weight is a nice thing when you get struck by a dog from the side or get off balance for a second. It gives your body the ability to move without upsetting the wheel. This is one reason I like the extra force necessary to affect the wheels movement. 

The MSX has all the batteries above the center axel.  Only the 100V has more weight forward than backwards.  Otherwise the 84V has equal battery front and back on the upper compartment just above the center axel. 

Might have to do with the bigger heavier tire.  Like the Segway Z10 it has a really heavy tire and that seems to generate some inertia.  

I'm thinking how awful it must be to use the KS16s as a 20 mile each direction commuter wheel, although the expense compared to a car commute must be a lot. Let's see.

$0.50 per mile times 40 miles times 20 work days times 12 months = $4800 per year

Vs

$1300 + $50 times 3 tires = $1450 for the first year and $150 each year after that.

Methinks you should buy a Kingsong 18 xl or 18s.

55 minutes ago, LanghamP said:

I don't like the way Tishawn swings his arms as if he needs to heave his wheel into the turns. A good wheel is so neautral that mere brain waves without any body motion controls your wheel, and the big Gotway wheels don't like turns.

With very few exceptions the videos of EUC riding are just riding in straight lines with 90% turns, and I think that is a poor review of wheel handling. Chooch is one of the few riders who does curves, and it's illuminating to see he totally hangs off his MSupers because the wheel tries to stay upright.

Why do Gotways not like turns? Bad tire profile, odd battery placement, maybe software related?

I tend to think that, when commuting on a EUC in a big city, some degree of stealth and smoothness is needed, especially if it is illegal . Tishawn's riding style, required by the wheel physics or otherwise, might attract too much attention. Not too sure though, this being EUC riding.

I think Tishawn's riding style is just what feels comfortable for him, no more no less. I've seen the same differences in people skateboarding, and for that matter ice skating. If it feels natural to him, all the more power to him for it. There's nothing to complain about in terms of his agility on the wheel anyways... ;) 

If anything, I'm more creeped out by his "New York Taxi Driver" style of risk taking. Zipping pretty darn fast through minimal spaces by cars sides or even fronts, even when he can't possibly see what's on the other side - and with his helmet in a strap on the back, where it will do exactly zip, nil, nada of good in a crash.

19 hours ago, eddiemoy said:

The XL has an upgraded handle.  Magnesium and much better than the initial handle on the 18L. 

I hated the Msuper when I got it a year ago.  So much so that I refused to ride it.  I was just coming from the KS16 and KS18S.  

I think when push comes to shove, it ends up in what you prefer. You are clearly a KS guy, and love their wheels. Good for you, I salute you for it. I'm not sure if my preferences would be the same, but I will at least be able to compare wheels with @Unventor at some point. He'll bring his 18L and I'll bring my MSX, and we can both be jealous of each other :D 

1 hour ago, Scatcat said:

I think when push comes to shove, it ends up in what you prefer. You are clearly a KS guy, and love their wheels. Good for you, I salute you for it. I'm not sure if my preferences would be the same, but I will at least be able to compare wheels with @Unventor at some point. He'll bring his 18L and I'll bring my MSX, and we can both be jealous of each other :D 

You are more than welcome to set up a time and place. We do it old western style a real high noon show down...or just lagom (Sorry for the lagom, Swedish joke) 😎😁

Ohh wait a minute MSX.That is a Gotway? Btw @Scatcat I think we need to bring @Jens Ronnedal into this as I understand he has a KS18XL incomming..soonish.

By mid December I expect to revive my Ruroc helmet. So maybe some sort of advent meet up, maybe.

Also I am much better geared up in case we end up like last we met, like my accident. Elbow skin rash is still not 100% healed up yet. 

42 minutes ago, Unventor said:

You are more than welcome to set up a time and place. We do it old western style a real high noon show down...or just lagom (Sorry for the lagom, Swedish joke) 😎😁

Ohh wait a minute MSX.That is a Gotway? Btw @Scatcat I think we need to bring @Jens Ronnedal into this as I understand he has a KS18XL incomming..soonish.

By mid December I expect to revive my Ruroc helmet. So maybe some sort of advent meet up, maybe.

Also I am much better geared up in case we end up like last we met, like my accident. Elbow skin rash is still not 100% healed up yet. 

Still not healed up? How much skin did you lose really?

Well, I get mine next week hopefully. And when and how depends a lot on the weather I suppose. If it continues like this, I will stud my tire just about the first thing I do. Luckily I was smart enough to order an extra tire just in case...

22 hours ago, LanghamP said:

I'm thinking how awful it must be to use the KS16s as a 20 mile each direction commuter wheel, although the expense compared to a car commute must be a lot. Let's see.

$0.50 per mile times 40 miles times 20 work days times 12 months = $4800 per year

Vs

$1300 + $50 times 3 tires = $1450 for the first year and $150 each year after that.

Methinks you should buy a Kingsong 18 xl or 18s.

Yes, riding for a long commute is not as pleasurable. You tend to just go straight, mumbling after the other "road" users. Hopefully there will never be any road rage, the wheel is a potentially dangerous weapon :(

Compared to a car, the wheel wins hands down, yes. But compared to public transports, the wheel does't make much sense here. The underground is twice as fast, costs the same, does not try to hurt you, etc ... But it is less reliable, and definitely less fun :)

2 hours ago, Scatcat said:

Still not healed up? How much skin did you lose really?

Well, I get mine next week hopefully. And when and how depends a lot on the weather I suppose. If it continues like this, I will stud my tire just about the first thing I do. Luckily I was smart enough to order an extra tire just in case...

As much as when you put index anf thumb together to make a circle...the key here is how deen an asphalt burn...at the deepest almost like 5-7mm. Don't sound like much but deep enough the healing skin can't decide it is healed and act as outer/upper skin. It looks like I have a permanent sport on my elbow of dandruff...just without hair.  A nice reminder fun comes at a possible cost 😁

14 hours ago, Unventor said:

As much as when you put index anf thumb together to make a circle...the key here is how deen an asphalt burn...at the deepest almost like 5-7mm. Don't sound like much but deep enough the healing skin can't decide it is healed and act as outer/upper skin. It looks like I have a permanent sport on my elbow of dandruff...just without hair.  A nice reminder fun comes at a possible cost 😁

Oh I had a serious friction rash a few years ago after stumbling into a concrete flower pot (don't read mail on your cell, unless you actually know there are nothing waiting to kill you ahead). I still have a slight scar. That kind of damage is scary.

Archived