Noob needs assistance in finding MSX Inner Tube!

Hi all,

Recently bought msx and was loving it but after only 3 weeks have had a puncture issue. Vender (speedy feet) suggested tyre weld but this seems to have just created a bigger problem as it all leaked out of the tyre valve. Vender now says unable to take it back for repair and also that he hasn't been able to get the 16" inner tubes in stock for over a year. 

1. What should I do to fix this? Are inner tubes possible to get hold of? Currently I can't even work out how I would physically go about replacing the tyre/inner tube so I need a lot of help please!

2. What should I do to prevent a recurrence of this issue? Can the tyre be made more puncture proof? I've seen talk of slime - what is that exactly and how does it work?

Thanks sincerely in advance.

Thomas

Hi.

Did you pump up the tire to normal pressure when you got the wheel? Also I'm surprised Speedy Feet wouldn't offer a tire change as a service or just keep you stranded alone with your problem:efeed51798: Any details on this? Ian just can't do anything without tubes, is that it?

msX should have an 18 inch tube, shouldn't it? Or 19? No idea where to get a right size one, but I'm sure other people here know.

1. A tube change is a bit of work (complicated and scary work in the beginning), but in the end it's not so hard. You essentially have to disassemble the wheel into its halves to get access to the motor. There's a lot of YouTube videos how to disassemble an msuper V3 or ACM, it's going to be the same here. In short:

• Remove pedals. Maybe not strictly necessary, but they'll be in the way otherwise.
  • Open up right side panel (board side) and disconnect the yellow battery connector just below the axle (held in place by a small plastic ledge). Switch wheel on until it is dead (capacitors drained of residual charge).
  • Remove all screws on this side of the wheel that keep the two shell halves together. Maybe one is hidden behind the battery, on the ACM it is, not sure about the msuper. See some video: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=msuper+x+tire+change
    Also here's a lengthy video about msuper X diy-ing, maybe not exactly the right thing, but maybe it answers some question that might show up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sDEbcsCkd0
    Make sure you don't lose one screw into the wheel, especially when reassembling. That is nasty. Don't ask me how I know^_^
  • Stick side panel back on to protect the electronics. Hold it with a few screws or duct tape or so.
  • Open left side panel and remove screws holding the two shell halves together.
  • Now you should be able to carefully flip open the wheel like a book (non-board, left side on top) and have access to the motor.
  • Change tire/tube like on a bicycle.
  • Reassemble. To reconnect the battery towards the end (last step before putting the right side panel back on and then putting the pedals back), quickly plug the yellow connector back together. Don't hesitate or something might spark. I believe @EUC GUY showed some trick to prevent sparks in one of his videos, not sure which (maybe his last one, which I linked to above?).

It's scary doing this with no experience, but it's not as bad in hindsight. Be careful not to break some flimsy plastic part, don't force anything open, make sure you don't damage anything (electronics, tight cables) etc - just take your time and keep calm:)

Don't start until you have your new tube. Having a disassembled, non-working wheel lying around is very unsatisfying. Don't ask me how I know^_^

2. Too low tire pressure gives you punctures easily.

I have no experience with slime. There's some info about it here on this forum. https://www.google.com/search?q=site%3Aelectricunicycle.org+slime

Basically some stuff you fill the tube with that will block a puncture from within when it is pressed out and comes in contact with the air. A bit like this if you know this scene:

tenor.gif

Good luck. Concentrate on getting a tube for now. And if you have any questions, people here can help you.

Thanks very much for the detailed reply. Still in contact with Ian and he is certainly trying too help but isn't sure he can get his hands on the tube. It is a 18" tube for the msx, yes. Not looking forward to the job you describe but here's hoping I can get a tube, then I'll give it a shot.

Thanks again,

Thomas

11 hours ago, Thomas Frederick said:

Hi all,

Recently bought msx and was loving it but after only 3 weeks have had a puncture issue. Vender (speedy feet) suggested tyre weld but this seems to have just created a bigger problem as it all leaked out of the tyre valve. Vender now says unable to take it back for repair and also that he hasn't been able to get the 16" inner tubes in stock for over a year. 

1. What should I do to fix this? Are inner tubes possible to get hold of? Currently I can't even work out how I would physically go about replacing the tyre/inner tube so I need a lot of help please!

2. What should I do to prevent a recurrence of this issue? Can the tyre be made more puncture proof? I've seen talk of slime - what is that exactly and how does it work?

Thanks sincerely in advance.

Thomas

I use Slime in all of my wheels and it has fixed many flats. I have not had to replace a tube yet because of a flat, over maybe 14-wheels.

The MSX uses a 18x3 tube. I know this doesn't help you now, but for others who may read this, I highly recommend buying a spare tube when you buy a new wheel. When I bought my MSX from EWheels I ordered and received at the same time a spare 18x3 tube.

If it's too late for you to use Slime (as demonstrated below for a MSuper) you'll have to open the wheel. Fortunately Gotway wheels are very easy to work on, including the MSX. It should be a ~1-hour job.

You may want to look at some of my Repair Playlist videos to get a feel for what's involved in working on your own wheel. Once you've dug into your first wheel you'll gain a lot confidence for future work and you'll feel much better about knowing how your wheel works. Here's the playlist if you're interested

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLY2UhJpoepXFnrco1H1I2wuNxLMYLaH6m

Maybe a mod can change the title to something more meaningful, maybe add (Where to get msuper X tube and how to change it?) to the title, so people who do know see this. Hidden in the Gotway forum plus generic title might be too much. 

But someone must have bought an msuper X tube some time!

@Marty Backe @US69 @Chriull

3 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Maybe a mod can change the title to something more meaningful, maybe add (Where to get msuper X tube and how to change it?) to the title, so people who do know see this. Hidden in the Gotway forum plus generic title might be too much. 

But someone must have bought an msuper X tube some time!

@Marty Backe @US69 @Chriull

As I said up above, I bought an extra MSX tube when I bought my wheel from EWheels. Another benefit from buying from a good dealer. So, EWheels sells them, but probably only to their customers.

I'll modify the title to this post.

12 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

As I said up above, I bought an extra MSX tube when I bought my wheel from EWheels. Another benefit from buying from a good dealer. So, EWheels sells them, but probably only to their customers.

I'll modify the title to this post.

Isn't the X an 18 incher? On ewheels, there's both 18 inch tire and innertube, but I don't know if the X is the same wheel as the older MSupers.

The MSuper is probably the one area I wouldn't go to AliExpress due to the extremely tight fit between shell and tire valve.

Interestingly, AliExpress does have varieties of the 18 inch tire that might be worth looking at a bit closer, including some pure off-road and some trail hybrids. If wheels were easier to change tires on, I'd probably get several different tires.

1 hour ago, LanghamP said:

Isn't the X an 18 incher? On ewheels, there's both 18 inch tire and innertube, but I don't know if the X is the same wheel as the older MSupers.

The MSuper is probably the one area I wouldn't go to AliExpress due to the extremely tight fit between shell and tire valve.

Interestingly, AliExpress does have varieties of the 18 inch tire that might be worth looking at a bit closer, including some pure off-road and some trail hybrids. If wheels were easier to change tires on, I'd probably get several different tires.

The MSX is "described" as a 19-inch wheel, but it uses a 18x3 tire and 18x3 inner tube. It is most definitely not the same as the MSuper V3.

Archived