What's next for InMotion EUC? You tell me

Inmotion Global

Hi,
Thanks for asking!!

Unfortunately, I have never ride an Inmotion (but I hope for the opportunity) so my wishes rely on over three thousand kilometers experience of driving with an another brand during the summer:

THE SHELL. I like simple and funtional designs and instead of a complicated light play on the sides of the shell, I would prefer two headlamps forwards. One LED light with less power for riding in the city and the other LED light as a remote light, strong enough for an safe traveling in the countryside or offroad.

Weather Resistant. In fact, it may start to rain or snow when we are outdoors. You can not always count on the weather forecast, not even for the next hour. It would also be good with a second port to load the wheel in the car as well. Then it would be possible to charge the wheel if we want to travel long distances in areas where there is not possible to find a place for "normal" charging.

THE WHEEL. I wish a tire of such a dimension that it would be easier for us to find new tires when it's time to replace it with a new one. It also needs to be of such a size that you can purchase a stud tire for winter time riding. 18'' - 20''.

CAPACITY. Many countries have regulated the maximum speed of this type of vehicle at 20-25 km / h, so it does not have to be a Formula1 EUC. As insured, the maximum speed in many countries is 30-50 km / h. Personally, I wish that it would be possible to ride at these speeds at least 90 km / charge.

Regards

Carl

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Liamfind said:

If there is anything I missed, just let me know. It means a lot for us. 

Weight, please! A wheel that will become popular and used by many people for short (<6km) and mixed commutes must be on the lighter side.

Larger, heavier, and faster is for long commutes, touring and leisure. To my impression, this is the use case of the majority of active members in this forum.

It is foreseeable that EUCs will become (more heavily) regulated when they become more popular. In particular heavy and fast wheels are bound to hit regulation limits sooner or later.

• Like 3

Can we get an EUC that has special design for climbing stairs?  A tire knobby thread design that can grip the edge of a stairs might work.  Lots of power to climb would be cool.  Large tire is nice to smooth out bumps but heavy has its disadvantages.  I'm enjoying my v8 very much so thanks a ton! :D 

Other interesting options:

1. Camera mount

2. Place to attach a trailer.  Wondering if I could carry my children in a trailer or use trailer to carry stuff.

Edited by DanCar

10 hours ago, Liamfind said:

This is Liam from InMotion HQ. I'm wondering if you have any advice for the new EUC of InMotion.  Can you do me a favor? I will collect the information and report it to our R&D crew.

Recently, I roll out a poll on Facebook about "What's the best Inmotion EUC" & " What‘s the features of your ideal wheel??" 

Hi Liam, I want this to be my next InMotion EUC! :thumbup:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Different people want different things. The two target audiences are commuters who value lighter weight and recreational riders who want higher speed and range. Having said that dealing with the tire is a common pain point.

• Have quick change tires. Fixing a flat may not be quick, but a faster way to access the tire would be really nice. 
    • Using the V10F as an example, you have to remove the foot pedals and outer shells before you can access the 8 hex sockets that secure the motor to the inner shell.
    • Why not have quick-access covers that allow you to remove those 8 hex sockets and unplug the motor?
  • Tubeless tires may also reduce the chance of flats.
  • Easy access to the air valve. Having to use a valve extender is annoying.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

The V8 was a good wheel back in the day because it had a good balance of qualities.

I see that most people that have responded want a lighter smaller wheel with a longer range. This might be a good direction for InMotion.

InMotion could make small wheels for storage and tricks. Maybe start a kid's line. 

This also tells me that most people over 150 pounds and aggressive riders have given up on InMotion ever having a wheel that they can ride. That is OK. Luckily we have GotWay. 

The most important thing is to keep the fans that you have by making good quality wheels for them. (seriously , I would beef up the electronics)

Edited by RockyTop

17 hours ago, adampj said:

It would be great to see better availability of covers for the V10 and V8. A better handle for the V10 because of its weight. Keep up the good work! 

@adampj  Don't worried. We will improve the handle using experience in the next EUC.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dieterGRAMS said:

I stated my thoughts in another thread but I'll also state them here:

I think you guys should build a high-performance 14" wheel. Using a 14x3" tire would add stability and lifting the pedal height would also add safety. 

With the EUC market maturing, you will see an increase in sport usages. Such as Polo! The 14" wheels have a HUGE advantage in things like Polo. 

14" wheels make better errand wheels. I hate using my MSX to go grab beers from the store. Even the Tesla was a bit annoying to grab for a short run VS my MCM4. But now, the pedal clearance on the mcm4 makes it nearly impossible to ride coming from the MSX daily. 

Unless you are going to best Gotway at their own game in the 18"+ class of wheel, don't bother.  People are having a hard enough time accepting the 18L spec sheet vs the MSX and the 18l is a perfectly fine machine IMO. Most of us in NY are waiting for a Monster update but it doesn't sound like you want to take it to that level.

• 14" x 3" tire
  • high pedals
  • 45km/h
  • balanced weight
  • +800wh batt.

While everyone thinks the 14" wheel is a beginners wheel, I beg to differ. The 14" wheel gives a true "hover" feeling. They are smooth, and snappy.

Build one for experienced riders! Be the king of small EUC!

Ummmm.... what he said. :lol:

There are VERY few options for a city settler wheel where you spend majority of your time riding on sidewalks (thus often quite uneven surface), among people, going up/down stairs, carrying over high curbs. A light, relatively small, nimble and stable, but somewhat powerful wheel is needed for that. I don't feel the need for big battery as distances are relatively short and you have plenty of places to charge your wheel, neither there is a need for 40+ km/h speeds as there is simply no room for you to safely fly at that speed for long enough. However, more than 800w power is needed so that I could aggresively and safely accelerate from 5 km/h to 30 km/h or go uphills at decent speed.

I feel like people asking for super high power, high capacity, high speed wheel are already fairly well covered by V10F, 18L, Z10, MSX.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Meng Yang said:

I ride a V8 and Tesla.

Legal device: Must be UL-2272 certified. Otherwise, come 2019, it is illegal (by law) to sell any other non-certified EUCs in my country.

Weight: Hope to see it remains under 20 kg. I carry my V8 up and down 4 floors multiple times a day.

Motor: 3000W motor. Even Tesla's top speed & acceleration isn't able to satisfy me. Perhaps something with more acceleration and top speed (60-70 kph) will be nice.

Music: I don't ride without blasting music. My main aim is safety coz people ahead knows I'm coming through at high speed. I hope to see internal speakers with more power (and BASS) than the typical JBL Flip 4.

Lights: Must have rear red light. More importantly, hope to see a front white light of at least 1500 lumens, coz I dare not go fast at night as both my V8 and Tesla's front light aren't bright enough to see far ahead. I have a 1000 lumens handheld flashlight, but its also not enough for high speed.

Buttons: Swap the way the power and lights button operates. Why? It's scary when you just accidentally touch the power button and wheel powers off suddenly. Better to make it "Long Hold" to power ON/OFF. Lights can be operated by single press.

Battery: At least 1500wh. I want to go really far!

Wheel: 18-19 inches would be nice. 16 inch is not great for high speed. Wider tires too, would be nice.

Pedals: Even higher pedals would be nice, coz neither V8 or Tesla have high-enough pedals. I often scrap pedals on the ground when I do sharp corners. :(

Protective Cover: An even thicker protective cover than the one currently offered for the V8. It's a really good thing to have.

App: To allow electronically LOCKing of wheel.

Auto-pilot: We've seen the Segway mini-Pro self moving towards or follow the user (when not ridden). We've also seen companies like BMW prototyping motorcycles that can self-balance/ridden with or without the rider. Thus, I dream of a day an EUC wheel can auto-pendulum itself to balance and follow its owner (on foot) around without being ridden. Then, we can do away with the trolley handle.

In short, V10F will not be my next upgrade. If Inmotion doesn't come up with a stronger wheel than Tesla, then my only upgrade path in future is MSuper X.

p/s: Tell you a secret, I still like my V8 a tad more than my Tesla coz its a more practical and usable wheel overall. ;p

This!!!

19 hours ago, Meng Yang said:

Motor: 3000W motor. Even Tesla's top speed & acceleration isn't able to satisfy me. Perhaps something with more acceleration and top speed (60-70 kph) will be nice.

@Meng Yang  Sorry. Top speed at 60-70 kph will hard for us to accomplish. 60-70 kph is too dangerous even if you are wearing a helmet and other protective staff. Don't you think? 

19 hours ago, Meng Yang said:

Auto-pilot: We've seen the Segway mini-Pro self moving towards or follow the user (when not ridden). We've also seen companies like BMW prototyping motorcycles that can self-balance/ridden with or without the rider. Thus, I dream of a day an EUC wheel can auto-pendulum itself to balance and follow its owner (on foot) around without being ridden. Then, we can do away with the trolley handle.

In short, V10F will not be my next upgrade. If Inmotion doesn't come up with a stronger wheel than Tesla, then my only upgrade path in future is MSuper X.

p/s: Tell you a secret, I still like my V8 a tad more than my Tesla coz its a more practical and usable wheel overall. ;p

It sounds like a good idea for distance riding.  I sure that the next EUC will be stronger. Let's wait. 

Among all the InMotion wheels, V8 is also my favorite one. No doubt for sure.

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, Chriull said:

Also when the regulations in germany come and if they allow EUCs at all they'll need wheels limited to something like 20-25 km/h and some limited motor power...

@Chriull   Yep. The local regulation for the motorized vehicle is still very strict in Germany. For the current situation, no need to improve the top need in Germany. Still waiting for the new regulation.

22 hours ago, Chriull said:

A "motor" sound (from muscle car to star trek ion drive) could be real nice - especially if it gives audible feedback like a car motor sounds different when under burden and coming near the rev limit. Maybe with speed dependend loudness control (or optionally just to be heard via earphones and the phone app)

Really? Like the movie Furious? I guess the only way to make it is to driving Motorbike or car.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Demargon said:

I like the v10 handlebar, is very usefull. Allow the lovelly thin body desing, and keeps the IP in 55, not IP45 like v8 with his weak handlebar.
The v10f is really good euc, I would keep his shape and maybe give it a seat option.
Make it ligther, faster and last longer would be great, but first it needs to fix the miscalibration/pedaldiving in sharp turns and make the tire acces easy.
Also it need tougth bumpers/mudguards, pedals axis and cranks.

@Demargon   So here comes the question. Many other EUC guys think that the handlebar of V8 design is better and more ergonomic but it's weaker than V10. 

Sometimes, you just have to make a decision when nothing's perfect. 

• Upvote 2

41 minutes ago, Liamfind said:

@Demargon   So here comes the question. Many other EUC guys think that the handlebar of V8 design is better and more ergonomic but it's weaker than V10. 

Sometimes, you just have to make a decision when nothing's perfect. 

If you keep V8 handlebar design, then at least adjust it in the way that if it gets broken, you can still disassemble the wheel.

When my handlebar got stuck, I had big trouble accessing the wheel, because in order to remove the side panel you need to pull out the handle... which was stuck. Catch 22.

• Upvote 1