Amanda

Speeds up

Hi

Not too sure if I’ve put this in the right place. My sons board is new. Three times now it’s suddenly speeded up. It’s thrown him off and scared him. Is this something that can happen? -should it go back to the shop? The last time it did it, the red light showed and beeped. I recalibrated it and it went back to normal. But I don’t trust it now. 

Any help, greatly appreciated

Amanda 

1 hour ago, Amanda said:

Hi

Not too sure if I’ve put this in the right place. My sons board is new.

Me neither - i assume you mean a hoverboard with "board"?

1 hour ago, Amanda said:

Three times now it’s suddenly speeded up. It’s thrown him off and scared him. Is this something that can happen? -should it go back to the shop? The last time it did it, the red light showed and beeped. I recalibrated it and it went back to normal. But I don’t trust it now. 

Amanda 

Hard to say? Too much imbalance from your son that the board cannot handle? Or maybe the battery is too weak (old/bad battery cells)?

Red light showing up an beeping imo should mean the board is/was overpowered (BMS shut off?) or the battery is empty?

Maybe you write a bit more details and so some experienced members can chime in?

Yes it is a hover board. He was riding it really well, very good balance. It’s done the speeding thing 3 times, where he’s just been thrown off it as it went so fast. It is now not riding in a straight line...my son says he feels a vibration and like the left and right sides are fighting against each other. 

Thanks for trying to help.

amanda 

5 minutes ago, Amanda said:

Yes it is a hover board

And what brand and model?

I have never ridden a hoverboard nor any theoretical experience - just got that some models have specific weaknesses?

I'd assume you have already tried a google and youtube search?

And you did some "visual inspection" - if something is broken, differences between both sides, dirt or hairs got caught around one wheels axle (if this is possible at all?)

10 hours ago, Amanda said:

My sons board is new

And i have overread this! Since it's new the first step is to contact the reseller for repair/replacement! There is definitely something wrong with the board.

PS.: This is a forum mainly frequented from electronic unycycle riders - although some of them have hoverboards, too. And some "pure" hoverboarders come by from time to time. I hope you also tried to get informations from "real" hoverboard forums.

On 11/21/2018 at 2:49 PM, Amanda said:

Hi

Not too sure if I’ve put this in the right place. My sons board is new. Three times now it’s suddenly speeded up. It’s thrown him off and scared him. Is this something that can happen? -should it go back to the shop? The last time it did it, the red light showed and beeped. I recalibrated it and it went back to normal. But I don’t trust it now. 

Amanda 

So the board speeds up and accelerates ahead of the point where he can balance?  He's falling off the back of the board?  Hmm...  Being thrown forward is generally what happens in my experience.  We have two different brands of hoverboards and when exploring the upper limits of speed and acceleration, both will just shut down and nearly put me on my face.  Otherwise they seem to stay well balanced.  I've never had one throw me off by speeding up too much.  Assuming your son isn't suddenly rocking his feet forward (toes downward), I'd guess there's a problem with the hoverboard which should be taken up with the seller.  I'm not sure how much that helps but it's about all I can say without riding it myself.