Jump to content
Lunar

Battery won't charge past 91%

Recommended Posts

Hey guys, just got my inmotion V10 and the battery won't charge past 91%. The device will never informs me that the charge is complete like it's suppose to. I'm in the period (new wheel) where I'm suppose to drain it (not all the way to 0, but low) then bring it back up to a higher percentage. The first time this happened, I didn't think I left it on enough. The second time, I left it on for hours and it just wouldn't rise past 91%. I reached out to inmotion, but I was wondering if anyone else ran into this issue, and if there was a fix. Thank you! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Lunar said:

Hey guys, just got my inmotion V10 and the battery won't charge past 91%. 

Afair that's either a charger issue (misadjusted - not enough maximum voltage), unbalanced cells in the battery pack or a misadjusted voltage measurement on the mainboard.

The charger can easily be checked with a multimeter - without load it should reach 84V.

Battery pack for a new wheel should be ok - but who knows, quality control is not perfect...

10 minutes ago, Lunar said:

 The device will never informs me that the charge is complete like it's suppose to. 

Normally the charger changes the led color if the charging current goes below some specifig threshold - this has to happen sometimes as the battery pack gets full. So the chances rise that a new charger could solve the problem?!

Or do you mean that the V10 does not inform you?

11 minutes ago, Lunar said:

I'm in the period (new wheel) where I'm suppose to drain it (not all the way to 0, but low) then bring it back up to a higher percentage.

Who supposes this? Never heard of such a thing in regard to li ion batteries (except the ones with "smart metering", which is not used with EUCs by now afaik).

Cell balancing happens (?at the end of?) after the full charge.

14 minutes ago, Lunar said:

The second time, I left it on for hours and it just wouldn't rise past 91%. I reached out to inmotion, but I was wondering if anyone else ran into this issue, and if there was a fix. Thank you! 

There were some topics like this lately (don't remember if also for the V10/Inmotion), so there should be some experience available here of frequent causes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you for your input! I just got the information from their main site about the battery charging when you first acquire the device, so I'm not too sure. The charger says LED:GREEN<400mA and the light was indeed green. I guess I'll have to use my multi-meter. 

The V10 is suppose to inform me when the charge is complete with a sound. There's a sound for it in the sound effects that says, "charge complete". That's what I meant, sorry for the confusion. I attached a pic of the charger info just in case. 

v10 Charger.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On my first wheel, the battery wouldn't charge to 100% right away. It needed a few steps of charging until the charger goes green, then draining the batteries a little bit, and then it would charge to a higher percentage. After a few times, it went to 100% and everything was good from then on.

So you could balance on it for a minute, even just indoors, to get away from "green light", and see if it charges to a higher percentage after that. If yes, it will fix itself this way. Some people also reported behavior like this, but it was very rare and was long ago, but maybe you're lucky.

Can you link to their battery info site? Never heard of the thing you mention. Sounds strange.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Lunar said:

Thank you for your input! I just got the information from their main site about the battery charging when you first acquire the device, so I'm not too sure. The charger says LED:GREEN<400mA and the light was indeed green. I guess I'll have to use my multi-meter. 

Would be the easiest option if the charger just delivers not enough voltage (the specified 84V) - either a new one or you are able to adjust it: (1)

Quote

The V10 is suppose to inform me when the charge is complete with a sound. There's a sound for it in the sound effects that says, "charge complete". That's what I meant, sorry for the confusion.

As the V10 is not charged fully, he has no reason to inform of a completed charge :ph34r:. So hopefully it's a misadjusted charger or some battery balancing is needed as posted from @meepmeepmayer. The most unfortionate case would be the voltage measurement at the mainboard being off... But let's see if you can "resolve" the first two points...

Edit: (1) would'nt recommend that since everything is still under warranty

Edited by Chriull

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, new wheel = you find a quick and easy fix, or it's the seller's job to do more.

Let's hope it's the case of strange battery cell/BMS behavior that will go away once 100% is reached. I'm sure the seller will have some more ideas what you can try.

@Chriull Do Inmotions measure charging voltage on the board? On Gotways afaik, charging goes right to the batteries, no board involvement (or even connection). So it's BMS only. KS I believe goes through the board. IM too?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Chriull Do Inmotions measure charging voltage on the board? On Gotways afaik, charging goes right to the batteries, no board involvement (or even connection). So it's BMS only. KS I believe goes through the board. IM too?

Not the charging voltage directly, but they measure the battery voltage supplied to the board. This is almost the charging voltage - just some voltage drop along the protection circuits. Imo the "natural"/easiest solution to play some sound by firmware once charging is done?!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Could you pls share the Serial Number of your V10? This is a software bug, actually your V10 battery and charger are OK. Pls contact service@imscv.com, cc jason@imscv.com, I will ask my colleague to arrange a USB Key for you, and tell you how to fix it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Jason Jiao said:

Could you pls share the Serial Number of your V10? This is a software bug, actually your V10 battery and charger are OK. Pls contact service@imscv.com, cc jason@imscv.com, I will ask my colleague to arrange a USB Key for you, and tell you how to fix it.

Thank you Jason Jiao! My SN is 1270985F12310070. I'll email those addresses now. Thank you guys for you your input. I just want to remind you guys, if I don't reply in time it's due to the forum restricting my posts per day. Thanks again Jason! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/23/2018 at 1:51 AM, Lunar said:

Thank you Jason Jiao! My SN is 1270985F12310070. I'll email those addresses now. Thank you guys for you your input. I just want to remind you guys, if I don't reply in time it's due to the forum restricting my posts per day. Thanks again Jason! 

Hi Lunar, we have got your email, My colleague will arrange to ship the tools to you soon, and offer the tracking number.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've also got this issue. Suddenly my battery is not charging past 93%. I've send email to @Jason Jiao about this also. 

I hope it's a bug that can be fixed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Has anyone been able to apply the battery fix via the USB dongle and if so can you provide instructions? I have the dongle,  but my laptop(s) are not recognizing the unit.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m having the same issue, battery not charging back to 100% but stopping at 95% what do I have to do?

I have a v10f

Edited by Zeno74

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Zeno74 said:

I’m having the same issue, battery not charging back to 100% but stopping at 95% what do I have to do?

I have a v10f

 

On 11/21/2018 at 4:03 PM, Chriull said:

Afaij that's either a charger issue (misadjusted - not enough maximum voltage), unbalanced cells in the battery pack or a misadjusted voltage measurement on the mainboard.

The charger can easily be checked with a multimeter - without load it should reach 84V.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Guys thanks for the suggestion, charger was 82,2 V and I had my V8 charger that is compatible and has a voltage of 84,3 V!

The wheel is back to 100% ;-)

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...