Battery won't charge past 91%

Lunar

Hey guys, just got my inmotion V10 and the battery won't charge past 91%. The device will never informs me that the charge is complete like it's suppose to. I'm in the period (new wheel) where I'm suppose to drain it (not all the way to 0, but low) then bring it back up to a higher percentage. The first time this happened, I didn't think I left it on enough. The second time, I left it on for hours and it just wouldn't rise past 91%. I reached out to inmotion, but I was wondering if anyone else ran into this issue, and if there was a fix. Thank you! 

Thank you for your input! I just got the information from their main site about the battery charging when you first acquire the device, so I'm not too sure. The charger says LED:GREEN<400mA and the light was indeed green. I guess I'll have to use my multi-meter. 

The V10 is suppose to inform me when the charge is complete with a sound. There's a sound for it in the sound effects that says, "charge complete". That's what I meant, sorry for the confusion. I attached a pic of the charger info just in case. 

v10 Charger.jpg

On my first wheel, the battery wouldn't charge to 100% right away. It needed a few steps of charging until the charger goes green, then draining the batteries a little bit, and then it would charge to a higher percentage. After a few times, it went to 100% and everything was good from then on.

So you could balance on it for a minute, even just indoors, to get away from "green light", and see if it charges to a higher percentage after that. If yes, it will fix itself this way. Some people also reported behavior like this, but it was very rare and was long ago, but maybe you're lucky.

Can you link to their battery info site? Never heard of the thing you mention. Sounds strange.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Lunar said:

Thank you for your input! I just got the information from their main site about the battery charging when you first acquire the device, so I'm not too sure. The charger says LED:GREEN<400mA and the light was indeed green. I guess I'll have to use my multi-meter. 

Would be the easiest option if the charger just delivers not enough voltage (the specified 84V) - either a new one or you are able to adjust it: (1)

The V10 is suppose to inform me when the charge is complete with a sound. There's a sound for it in the sound effects that says, "charge complete". That's what I meant, sorry for the confusion.

As the V10 is not charged fully, he has no reason to inform of a completed charge :ph34r:. So hopefully it's a misadjusted charger or some battery balancing is needed as posted from @meepmeepmayer. The most unfortionate case would be the voltage measurement at the mainboard being off... But let's see if you can "resolve" the first two points...

Edit: (1) would'nt recommend that since everything is still under warranty

Edited by Chriull

Yes, new wheel = you find a quick and easy fix, or it's the seller's job to do more.

Let's hope it's the case of strange battery cell/BMS behavior that will go away once 100% is reached. I'm sure the seller will have some more ideas what you can try.

@Chriull Do Inmotions measure charging voltage on the board? On Gotways afaik, charging goes right to the batteries, no board involvement (or even connection). So it's BMS only. KS I believe goes through the board. IM too?

31 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Chriull Do Inmotions measure charging voltage on the board? On Gotways afaik, charging goes right to the batteries, no board involvement (or even connection). So it's BMS only. KS I believe goes through the board. IM too?

Not the charging voltage directly, but they measure the battery voltage supplied to the board. This is almost the charging voltage - just some voltage drop along the protection circuits. Imo the "natural"/easiest solution to play some sound by firmware once charging is done?!

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Jason Jiao said:

Could you pls share the Serial Number of your V10? This is a software bug, actually your V10 battery and charger are OK. Pls contact service@imscv.com, cc jason@imscv.com, I will ask my colleague to arrange a USB Key for you, and tell you how to fix it.

Thank you Jason Jiao! My SN is 1270985F12310070. I'll email those addresses now. Thank you guys for you your input. I just want to remind you guys, if I don't reply in time it's due to the forum restricting my posts per day. Thanks again Jason! 

• Like 1

On 11/23/2018 at 1:51 AM, Lunar said:

Thank you Jason Jiao! My SN is 1270985F12310070. I'll email those addresses now. Thank you guys for you your input. I just want to remind you guys, if I don't reply in time it's due to the forum restricting my posts per day. Thanks again Jason! 

Hi Lunar, we have got your email, My colleague will arrange to ship the tools to you soon, and offer the tracking number.

• Upvote 1

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Zeno74 said:

I’m having the same issue, battery not charging back to 100% but stopping at 95% what do I have to do?

I have a v10f

On 11/21/2018 at 4:03 PM, Chriull said:

Afaij that's either a charger issue (misadjusted - not enough maximum voltage), unbalanced cells in the battery pack or a misadjusted voltage measurement on the mainboard.

The charger can easily be checked with a multimeter - without load it should reach 84V.

• 5 weeks later...

I have the same issue. I have a relatively new V10F with 250km on it, never charges fully, the last blue battery LED on the wheel continues to blink while charger LED turns from red to green.

Not sure if it's related but the wheel also doesn't reach 40km/h, yells at me at 34-35 km/h and tilts back a bit. Checked with GPS on flat surface with no wind. I'm 67kg. And the range is around 40km, with 90-100 advertised.

Charger is the original one, marked 84V and multimeter shows 84.1V in open circuit.

@Jason Jiao could you please advise? Should I submit a ticket somewhere?

Thanks.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, ( _ ) Alexey said:

I have the same issue. I have a relatively new V10F with 250km on it, never charges fully, the last blue battery LED on the wheel continues to blink while charger LED turns from red to green.

Not sure if it's related but the wheel also doesn't reach 40km/h, yells at me at 34-35 km/h and tilts back a bit. Checked with GPS on flat surface with no wind. I'm 67kg. And the range is around 40km, with 90-100 advertised.

Charger is the original one, marked 84V and multimeter shows 84.1V in open circuit.

Thanks.

What charge percentage do you see in the inmotion app after a night on the charger?

Check the max speed setting in the app too.

17 hours ago, ( _ ) Alexey said:

Thanks.

The battery might be full but there is a bug that sometimes shows less percentage. It has to be fixed by a hardware usb stick. Contact your dealer or Inmotion HQ. 

Make sure you are on "Comfort" mode. In "Classic" mode there is still a bug that limits the top speed to that. 

Your range is normal. That advertised range is in special conditions and all the brands have similar discrepancy between advertised and real life. Most wheels consume about 15 wh per kilometre, depending heavily on rider weight, riding style, speed, terrain, hills etc. 

• Like 1

I'm now also experiencing this problem on my V8. With 82.4V on the battery (cells fairly balanced around 4.08-4.12V) the wheel won't take more of a charge even after a night on the charger. 

I have two V8's and two chargers so I know for sure the charger is fine outputting the right voltage. I've measured them with a multimeter.

It worked fine for 10000km so I don't understand how it's a software bug. I've been running the same firmware for 8000km. Did anyone get this issue solved?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

also I always have the same problem with the v10 the multimeter marks the charger at 82V and the V10 does not go beyond 87% -90%

very soon I will try a new charger

Edited by alex5454