Black boxes & eWheels

Jason McNeil

All the big eWheel makers now have integrated Bluetooth data capturing capabilities. Esaj has shown how powerful this information can be for power users in general information gathering. The next logical step seems to be moving in the direction of integrated black-boxes with telemetry & GPS, so that the causes of accidents/failures can be identified with a fair amount of certainty.

There is a trend for reducing insurance rates for young drivers who opt to drive with a telemetry App on their smart phone, the same principle could be used to increase the acceptance of eWheels among policy-makers, especially in restrictive countries like Germany, Switzerland, Belgium, etc.

Would you as a rider have any qualms, hesitations, issue using a Wheel where you could be personally liable resulting from injury to bystanders & the evidence of your eWheel could be used against you?  

I don't like the idea of being tracked, so if the "black box" would continuously send out data (instead of just recording it), then I would have a problem with it (and would probably remove it from the wheel). Also if it were used to ticket you afterwards (ie. you get stopped and the police could check the blackbox data out immediately and see that you have ridden over the speed limit earlier ;)). If it's just for recording data and used for finding out what happened afterwards (ie. the whole wheel has to be dismantled to get to the box & read out the data), then I wouldn't have a problem with that.

But, probably this doesn't even concern me, as the the wheels are currently illegal anyway, and after they become legal, they're bicycles here, not requiring licensing, separate insurance or such.

Would you as a rider have any qualms, hesitations, issue using a Wheel where you could be personally liable resulting from injury to bystanders & the evidence of your eWheel could be used against you?  

Black box or not, if I cause an accident, I will be liable. Probably due to the current legal status, even if I wasn't at fault, there'd be repercussions. ;)

Already to much tracking, so no forced tracking or recording for me.

But it would be nice to set on a standard for the provided data, and make it available via a serial interface (like bluetooth if you enjoy wireless),

Archived