Tethering your wheel to your leg

7 hours ago, Heyzeus said:

< description of crazy wheel behavior >

That's the "Gotway dance". All Gotways before the Tesla did that, but the current ones don't and it's a thing of the past. The wheel falls over for quite a bit, and THEN (too late) decides to try and save itself and speeds up. Crazy.

It is indeed very stupid, exactly as you described it, and there is no excuse for it as other manufacturers and later Gotway just don't have it. Simply shitty firmware. At least it's gone now...

It only spins in place. No danger of it running away (except maybe if it happens on a steep hill). But still stupid.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

That's the "Gotway dance".

I like it, that's a much more concise way of saying all that crap I said.  Bravo.

Glad to hear that it's not in the newer gotway wheels.

Everytime it happens I just face palm, and get self conscious if anyone is near by.

Stahp, no, stahp, your upside down, it's time to stop gotway, no, go home your drunk

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, Heyzeus said:

Stahp, no, stahp, your upside down, it's time to stop gotway, no, go home your drunk

:efee612b4b:

Yep exactly. But it's not only embarassing and perplexing, it also tries to murder your shins, and scratches itself and rips the side pads off when going crazy. That's the less funny part.

I once showed two kids how to ride. They were worried about damaging/scratching the wheel (which they saw as very expensive). So I said that it doesn't matter, and showed them by letting the wheel fall over. And it did its dance in the dirt for a second. That were some BIG surprised eyes I got from them:efee612b4b: (but they still tried).

(I think "Gotway dance" was coined by Marty, so credit goes to him.)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Yes run aways do occur.  My learner wife has panicked several times and jumped off and the V8 has gone for several seconds before falling over.  Once it crossed a road, did a nice 90 degree turn then ran into a parked car.  Luckily the owner, who was sitting on it and got a huge fright, didn't care.

I also got bounced off my (new arrgh) KS18L and it ran away.  Luckily into a fence not the heavy traffic I was riding next to.

So, yes, a tether or clever cutout would be good.  I'm thinking of an elasticised waist tether.  The stretchy dog lead shown earlier looked good.

• Upvote 2

I'm not advocating either way on straps, but one really needs to consider run-aways, and their potential consequences.

Last year i was descending a steep hill made of bumpy grass with dips and holes in it.  My wheel fell in a hole and I went down on my ass.  The wheel then took off down hill.  I yelled to the only walker below me and he scrambled aside as 35lbs of king song flew past him, sometimes bouncing at head height.  The guy was holding his sunglasses at the time and in the scramble he snapped one of the arms off.  We chatted for a while, his sun glasses cost over £400 Why? I have no idea.  marketing probably.  I have prescription sunglasses that cost less than half of that. After I found my wheel, 50m further down the hill in bushes I headed out of there rather sharpish.  I felt really bad about his sun glasses, and vowed never to put myself (or someone else) in that position again.

Further down that same range of hills it gets even more steep and more bumpy.  At the bottom is a cafe with outside seating.  I WILL NOT ride down that hill.  A run-away wheel could kill someone.

Sometimes there is a place for a strap, or to get off and trolley.

Edited by Smoother
  • Upvote 3

Guest PogArt Artur

I went throughout those comments,and it's pretty scary reading all those situations suddenly happened to you guys.

It means nothing else,but sooner or later I might experience the same.

All above ideas,how to stop the EUC running away are more or less targeting to the point,how to make the wheel to fall near by...

My clue is to use the STRONG MAGNETS.

One mounted on the wheel,the other to the ankle?

They might be loosely attached, on velcro stripes for example?

Just imagine getting on the wheel.., then the loosely attached magnets "CLICK" making strong bond connection, and you off to go!

In the bad case scenario you will fall off the wheel, but the magnets grip will last until the very last moment, causing the wheel losing its balance immediately,by being pulled to the direction of magnets connection, left or right, not letting it go in straight line any further.

Regarding the magnets grip, we can avoid being tied to the wheel with any physical wired connection - for safety.

THE MAGNETS THING,;

I'm talking about VERY STRONG MAGNETS, not wardrobe ones ;)

I have such magnets home,that I've purchased some time ago on Amazon.

My magnets are not the strongest ones I could buy,I just had no reason to get stronger.

I forgot the strength of those, but just imagine,that once connected you can not take them apart with your hand's grip.

You'll have to use some sharp edge, to force the slide, then with effort you can try your best to separate them...

I remember the letter warning that came with the parcel, to avoid holding them loosely near by, as the connect impact might cause unknown consequences to the human body or objects on its way...

I am sure, that the strength of that bond connection will be sufficient,to cause the wheel to lose its balance,and yet,there won't be any tied wire to the leg, if you know I mean.

Those magnets are expensive, but the money shouldn't be considered regarding the safety and well being people or objects (cars,traffic) around us...

They're different sizes, I'm attaching the photo to give you an idea what they look like.

I am newbie, so please be gentle to my point of view, it's just my personal idea.

20190317_172402.jpg

Edited by PogArt Artur

Guest PogArt Artur
2 hours ago, Smoother said:

2 hours ago, Smoother said:

@PogArt Artur Magnets.......ehhh....nnnnno.  You concentrate on learning to ride.  Then you'll realize why magnets on the ankles is not going to get the Dragons Den dragons excited.;)

Hahahaaa ;)

The magnetic pole... on the other hand... might help me to keep the balance just right ;)

If I'd buy enough of strong magnets and mounted them on the kitchen's floor, and then few underneath the pedals, then the magnetic field would be for newbie best ever idea to learn!!!

I think I'll go for it!

Why would I go outside ever?

I could start fb group - Interior EUC Riders - and become famous admin!

Hahahaaa  :)

Best regards Smoother ;)

Edited by PogArt Artur

On ‎3‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 1:26 AM, smarty said:

So, yes, a tether or clever cutout would be good.  I'm thinking of an elasticised waist tether.  The stretchy dog lead shown earlier looked good.

You don't want the wheel attached such that it could wrap you up in it or hurt you in an accident, yet at the same time you don't want it running off and hitting someone.

A tether switch cutout would have the problem of if it got pulled out by accident by getting caught on a branch or something you were going by then it could cause you to crash.

Perhaps if the tether switch got pulled out the wheel would slowly reduce speed until it stops, like it engages tilt back.  If the tether was pulled out by accident it slows you to a stop, you put it back in and go on your way.  If you had to bail because of something then it slows the wheel down automatically till its slow enough it falls over.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Heyzeus said:

Perhaps if the tether switch got pulled out the wheel would slowly reduce speed until it stops, like it engages tilt back.  If the tether was pulled out by accident it slows you to a stop, you put it back in and go on your way.  If you had to bail because of something then it slows the wheel down automatically till its slow enough it falls over.

Unfortunately, that's not possible to implement with any of the current wheels, AFAICS. Uniwheel had allegedly sensors to know whether a rider is on the wheel, but it's not produced anymore.

I posted this a few months back on some other tether-related thread, but apparently, not here. This is what I use:

1ffq6t.jpg

It's basically a wrist leash so children don't run away from their parents / into the road

wwknq9.jpg

I strap one end to the handle on my wheel, and the other end to my belt (but using a carabiner, so it's easier to put on and take off)

When coiled, it's short enough that it goes up in a straight line from the trolley handle of my wheel to my waist, so there's no risk of it getting stuck on anything. That same aspect means there's no risk of getting my leg/foot tangled in it when dismounting/bailing, etc. But the main reason is that it has enough flex to let the wheel get 1.5 m (5 ft) away from me before it tugs on my waist, and when it does, it isn't strong enough to hold the wheel: either the belt end or the wheel end will snap, so I'm no bound to the wheel, but the tug should (I haven't tested this yet) be enough to pull the wheel on it's side and prevent it from running away. Another plus is that I got 2 for 6€ (which is good since it's pretty much a one-use/one-bail item).

Another option could be retractable gear tethers, like the T-reign ones:

erweit.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/T-REIGN-Outdoor-Retractable-Universal-Attachment/dp/B0088MQGBO/ref=sr_1_3?crid=T7DC4IGM37LY&amp;keywords=retractable%2Bgear%2Btether&amp;qid=1552927326&amp;s=gateway&amp;sprefix=retractible%2Bgear%2B%2Caps%2C252&amp;sr=8-3&amp;th=1

Edited by travsformation

Guest PogArt Artur
5 hours ago, Smoother said:

1ffq6t.jpg

Wow! @travsformation ,what a coincidence. That's what I use too; only mine must be an older version because the tether is much shorter.

pink-blue-handcuffs-isolated-on-260nw-57 

hahahahahaaaa !

I don't wanna know what else your "stuff" can be used for hahahaaa ;)

7 hours ago, Smoother said:

Wow! @travsformation ,what a coincidence. That's what I use too; only mine must be an older version because the tether is much shorter.

You must really enjoy your wheel. ;) You should sell these as an accessory like @The Fat Unicyclist.

47365962792_eb5534592e_b.jpg

• Like 2

On 3/19/2019 at 3:03 AM, Smoother said:

pink-blue-handcuffs-isolated-on-260nw-57 

:roflmao:

I'm curious to know who's tying up who, and whether the submissions roles are changed from time to time. Then again, if it's too personal a question.... :efef2e0fff:

Also, what did you say your wheel's name was again? :efefa6edcf:

Edited by travsformation

• 4 months later...
On 11/19/2018 at 8:18 AM, LanghamP said:

Not adult will ever be hurt by a runaway wheel

Haha, was reading some old posts. I guess you were wrong in the case of the hospitalized elderly woman.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Flyboy10 said:

Haha, was reading some old posts. I guess you were wrong in the case of the hospitalized elderly woman.

Was it a runaway wheel or was the rider still on it?

10 minutes ago, LanghamP said:

Was it a runaway wheel or was the rider still on it?

The rider was not on from what I heard but I haven't read the article.

Edit: Just the the article. It says that the wheel hit her but the latter statement makes it seem like the rider hit her. In my (limited) experience with hitting curbs, the wheel stops. 

"where a man reportedly lost control of the unicycle before it collided with a pedestrian" 

"It is believed that a man who was riding a mechanically propelled unicycle lost control, hit a kerb before colliding with a pedestrian." 

Edited by Flyboy10
  • Upvote 1