Brand new Z10 not charging

Emmanuel Schalit

1 hour ago, Fredda66 said:

So here’s an update, got shuffled around a bit when contacting Segway/Ninebot but finally got a hold of Martjin from Netherlands who gave me some good answers. Like always since they don’t sell them in Europe and this is an import from China they couldn’t help me with a battery swap.

He recommended me to send it back and wait for them to be on sale in Europe later on this year and then have the possibility to use the warranty and get a “good battery”. 
= Most likely the machines will be banned before I get a hold of one…

So I was thinking this back and forth but when looking through the French thread https://www.espritroue.fr/topic/6752-one-z-sortir-du-mode-deep-sleep-activation-batterie/ and the https://www.espritroue.fr/topic/3192-ninebot-one-z/ page with at writing a 160 pages of comments about the Nine-one-Z I’m figuring it can’t be that bad to just get the batteries going since everyone in France also seem to have “grey imported” their One-z’s. 

So, I did exactly this trick https://www.espritroue.fr/topic/6752-one-z-sortir-du-mode-deep-sleep-activation-batterie/ but bought the XT60 Male adapter to be sure to get good contact from the charger, I definitely don’t want to shortage the batteries or the BMS-system. 58volt 1kw is not to be played with I guess. The adapter came of Ebay https://www.ebay.com/itm/Male-XT60-Battery-Connector-Pigtail-Silicone-12AWG-10cm-Cable-Lead-Wire-PDB-ESC/264021461243?hash=item3d78e7c8fb:m:mRXSrDxvdpDlRdMabqKXjxg:rk:1:pf:1&frcectupt=true

Attached is a picture of how this looked when completed, very careful with the cords so that there was no chance in hell it could get in contact with anything it shouldn’t.
So, plugged it all in and let each of the batteries charge for exactly 2 minutes each, the charger LED turned red immediately when I attached it. After the total of 4 minutes I put the battery back in the machine and connected the white cable connectors and after that the charger started working. The lights on the battery pack started blinking blue and red, the charger kept blinking green and red for a couple of hours before turning completely red. I kept it on charge for the whole night (~8 hours) and when I woke up it was fully charged and everything seems to be working. Connected the yellow XT60 cables back and turned the wheel on, connected the app, updated the BMS firmware to 1.1.2 and now just cuddling with it for 3-4 months before spring arrives and I will get an actual chance to use the wheel. 

I’ll give a quick note once I’ve reached a few hundred kilometres with it and see if any problems arise. From the French thread it doesn’t seem to be likely.

Fantastic. Very happy for you that it worked :cheers:

Thanks for taking the time to give us an update so we can learn and most importantly others can benefit in the future.

• Upvote 1

I have to load nearly 15 minutes  with this solution as i continously checked the voltage of the battery.

As it reached 50 Volt I quit this and plugged the battery back in the wheel - with all plugs connected.

Connecting the charger the red chargerlamp blinks for around 60 minutes. After it, it gets red for normal loading.

• Upvote 1

A simple solution is to start the load directly to the battery output (XT60 plug), I have made an adaptor for that.

20181229_201734.jpg.071e74a91e362c3261757df5c6262fb2.jpg

I have send it to a friend that tried it today and the Z6 battery took the load immediately. 15 minutes after that he was able to load is battery by the normal way.

before to send it to him, I have tested the adaptor https://www.facebook.com/smallexis/videos/1001487490049175/

• Upvote 1

On 12/21/2018 at 2:32 PM, Chriull said:

"Let’s examine the inner workings of the cell more closely. A mild short will only cause elevated self-discharge and the heat buildup is minimal because the discharging power is very low. If enough microscopic metallic particles converge on one spot, a sizable current begins to flow between the electrodes of the cell, and the spot heats up and weakens. As a small water leak in a faulty hydro dam can develop into a torrent and take a structure down, so too can heat buildup damage the insulation layer in a cell and cause an electrical short. The temperature can quickly reach 500C (932F), at which point the cell catches fire or it explodes. This thermal runaway that occurs is known as “venting with flame.” “Rapid disassembly” is the preferred term by the battery industry."

When I was experimenting with salvaging lap top batteries (didn't work btw)  I would charge about 20 at a time in parallel.  In one batch there was one battery that got insanely hot, way too hot to touch.  Because they were all lined up in a row, it was easy to check the temp by hand, and stop the process.  I shudder to think what might happen if a cell like that was buried on the back side of a pack (i.e. undetectable) quietly heating up towards thermal run away, over night in a house where people are sleeping.

You faulty Zseries owners need to think long and hard about your safety precautions when recovering the batteries in these units.

Edited by Smoother
  • Like 1

On 1/7/2019 at 10:36 PM, smallexis said:

A simple solution is to start the load directly to the battery output (XT60 plug), I have made an adaptor for that.

20181229_201734.jpg.071e74a91e362c3261757df5c6262fb2.jpg

I have send it to a friend that tried it today and the Z6 battery took the load immediately. 15 minutes after that he was able to load is battery by the normal way.

before to send it to him, I have tested the adaptor https://www.facebook.com/smallexis/videos/1001487490049175/

Hi, I have thesame issue too.. do you still have this wire to send to me? I am reading 4.23v

On 1/20/2019 at 4:56 PM, Afeez Kay said:

Hi, I have thesame issue too.. do you still have this wire to send to me? I am reading 4.23v

No matter but first my friend have to send it back to me, and when I will get it, I will be able to send it to you. let 's keep contact

On 1/20/2019 at 4:56 PM, Afeez Kay said:

or try this : https://www.espritroue.fr/topic/6752-one-z-sortir-du-mode-deep-sleep-activation-batterie/?do=findComment&comment=161113

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Hello,

I acquired a Z10 last fall and only used it for a few kilometers before storing it for winter. I made sure the battery was fully charged before storing it. For work reasons I couldnt start back using it soon and it stayed stored for about 4 months. When I took it from storage the battery seemed dead so I charged it for several hours and even after that it was not starting. I searched for solutions and finally found this forum and I tried what was suggested in this video: https://youtu.be/zPJRfPdS8Fo

As you can assume it didnt work. In the video the charger turn red (charging). Mine just stay green, nothing is happening. It is not charging. So now I am stuck with a big paper holder that has less than 70km on it.

Any suggestion? I am quite short of ideas and I dont know of any shop to help me here in Budapest.

Thanks,

S.

• 1 year later...

Just to be clear, there are 2 very different issues highlighted in this thread with the Z, although I think most are past issue 1 now..

Issue 1. Vampire drain. The Z will drain approx. 1% of batt per day even when switched off. Mine hasn't been used since last August, so we are now at 6 months. If I had not kept the battery topped up it would be long dead by now. So every month I switch it on to see what how many bars are lit (out of 5 bars). If it's 2 or less it gets a top up to 4 bars. It will soon be getting a full, long balance charge as the weather has been good recently and my daughter is itching to get back out on it.

Issue 2: Water in power switch. The primary tell-tale of this problem is that the wheel won't turn off. The switch itself is a tiny item that is extremely sensitive to moisture. I don't believe it uses a 'normal' voltage driven push to make circuit. I suspect it uses some kind of resistance to trigger on/off. This is based on the fact that even the smallest amount of moisture will cause it to malfunction. I took my switch out and dried it fully externally with kitchen towel and a hairdryer, put it all back and it still wouldn't turn off the wheel (although it turned on fine). Angry wasn't the word, its a right pain to remove and refit.

So, when I got the switch back out again, I actually separated the components from the small board. This involves opening up the 4 small legs on the switch housing and carefully removing it from the board. Under the housing theres a little plastic button (the switch button itself) and under that a convex metal disc (clicker disc). Between the disc and the board was a tiny amount of moisture. I couldn't even say it was enough to call it 'wet'. I dried all the components out fully, saw no lasting water damage had been done and re-assembled it all. It worked totally fine after that. It has only happened the once, but then I have only ever been caught in the rain with it once. I partially blame (although no proof) the 3D printed 'switch protector' that I had fitted to avoid accidental activation of the switch. I suspect that because it surrounds the entire button, it allowed water to 'pool' directly on top of the switch and lead to ingress that would not normally have happened. I believe that the switch assembly itself is 'splash proof' providing that the rubber gasket and surrounding areas are in order and not compromised in any way.

You could of course just buy another switch assembly (it comes with the board and wires) but it wasn't cheap when I looked and neither did I want to wait weeks for it.

• Like 2

Started to :whistling: think if ill dare to try one z10  as my next wheel. Se the longer range beasts is exstream heavy to handle like tossing in the car... hmm but also the risk of the battery drain n charge risk on arrival...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Planemo said:

It does have its handling quirks, but you can certainly learn to live with that. Just look at Roberace on YT.

His Z10 videos are so cool. He pretty much defined the whole riding aesthetic.

@RoberAce just doesn't look right riding a Kingsong.

Edited by litewave
  • Like 1