Brand new Z10 not charging

Emmanuel Schalit

Just received my brand new Z10 from eWheels USA. Very bad surprise; unit does not even charge. Battery is fully depleted but charger LED goes green immediately and no charging happens. There is enough power for me to connect with the App but the battery readout is fully at zero and inconsistent.

Has anybody encountered this condition. I have re-packed the Z10 and will ask eWheels to exchange it for a functioning one but this is really a drag. I am curious is this is a frequent issue with new Z10s

2018-11-17 17.26.16.png

2018-11-17 17.27.16.png

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Bummer :crying:

If I remember correctly, this has happened to other owners. There is a user solution, but I can't remember what it is. Hopefully someone else can chime in. Also, I expect Jason knows the solution too. I think you may have to open the wheel, but that'll be preferable to the hassle of returning the wheel for warranty service.

Good luck.

Edited by Marty Backe
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Emmanuel Schalit said:

Just received my brand new Z10 from eWheels USA. Very bad surprise; unit does not even charge. Battery is fully depleted but charger LED goes green immediately and no charging happens. There is enough power for me to connect with the App but the battery readout is fully at zero and inconsistent.

Has anybody encountered this condition. I have re-packed the Z10 and will ask eWheels to exchange it for a functioning one but this is really a drag. I am curious is this is a frequent issue with new Z10s

2018-11-17 17.26.16.png

2018-11-17 17.27.16.png

Fortunately it is not a frequent issue! But shit happens. Take it easy, but take it. I suffer with you. It is a drag. Reminds me of me waiting almost one year on my new Z10. Hang in there. It’s worth it. 😊 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Emmanuel Schalit said:

Hopefully Jason reads this forum and will chime in. Somebody on a facebook Z10 group suggested opening the wheel and reconnecting the battery but it seems strange if this is a battery connection issue given that I do have enough power to turn on and connect with teh App

You're correct, obviously the batteries are connected.

I would not depend on @Jason McNeil seeing this thread - he's a busy guy. Use the EWheels website or his e-mail to get in contact with him.

The Z10 is in such short supply that if you demand on returning it for a new one, you might be waiting for a couple of months. If you're willing to potentially open the Z10 for a simple fix, you might want to consider this. The thing is, we are in Model-T days with EUCs, which means we are expected to get our hands dirty maintaining our wheels. If you can maintain that attitude you will have a much better experience.

When I received my MSX I had to open the wheel to connect the batteries (because they are shipped disconnected, for safety reasons). Opening the wheel shouldn't be considered a bad experience. One of my MSuper's had a software issue that required me waiting a few wheels to get fixed, and the wheel had to be opened.

Sometimes we don't get a perfect wheel out of the box. But since we can't go to our nearest Walmart to pickup another one, we have to be prepared to put up with inconveniences sometimes.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

You're correct, obviously the batteries are connected.

I would not depend on @Jason McNeil seeing this thread - he's a busy guy. Use the EWheels website or his e-mail to get in contact with him.

The Z10 is in such short supply that if you demand on returning it for a new one, you might be waiting for a couple of months. If you're willing to potentially open the Z10 for a simple fix, you might want to consider this. The thing is, we are in Model-T days with EUCs, which means we are expected to get our hands dirty maintaining our wheels. If you can maintain that attitude you will have a much better experience.

When I received my MSX I had to open the wheel to connect the batteries (because they are shipped disconnected, for safety reasons). Opening the wheel shouldn't be considered a bad experience. One of my MSuper's had a software issue that required me waiting a few wheels to get fixed, and the wheel had to be opened.

Sometimes we don't get a perfect wheel out of the box. But since we can't go to our nearest Walmart to pickup another one, we have to be prepared to put up with inconveniences sometimes.

It’s like Marty says: You own it, when you fix it! 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Toshio Uemura said:

It’s like Marty says: You own it, when you fix it! 

Where have you been Toshio? I expected to see some nice Insta360 videos from you :). I wanted to see more beautiful Japan riding from you :popcorn:

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Jason McNeil said:

If we're not able to come to reasonable terms with Ninebot, I see no choice but to discontinue the Z10.

It’s such a wonderful wheel. Please don’t discontinue the Z10. A lot of folks in the US would suffer from such a decision.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Jason McNeil said:

@Emmanuel Schalit, have you checked you email, I replied to your message about two hours ago...

Obviously it's a disappointment to get a brand new Wheel only for it not to work out-of-box, but please be a little patient, there is a standard process for troubleshooting faults. 

This particular batch of Z10s had their batteries installed & power-on tested in Tucson before shipping out. As suggested in the email, can you remove the side panel & try reseating the power connectors? If that doesn't work, then we'll coordinate exchanging the battery pack. 

@Marty Backe the Out-of-box reliability on the Z10s has been pretty awful & Ninebot's help even worse. We have to buy our own parts for all repairs, & even then, has taken over a month to produce. If we're not able to come to reasonable terms with Ninebot, I see no choice but to discontinue the Z10. We'll procure a stash of parts for existing Customers, but then that's it.  

Wow, that's disconcerting to read Jason. I'm conflicted because I enjoy riding mine so much and continue to recommend it. But you have real-world statistics on your side.

It's funny how the Z10 has the aura of quality based on how it looks and the finish materials. But I guess it's all smoke and mirrors.

I sure hope mine continues to function. 

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Holy shit, sounds like Ninebot fucking over Ian suddenly. Either they don't care for the long term or are trying to kill third party sellers (once again?).

Why is every manufacturer so moronic/stubborn in some regard?

@Emmanuel Schalit This is very frustrating for you, but you're in good hands.

How did Ian enter this picture :blink1: He also may be getting screwed by Ninebot, I don't know, but Jason is the one suffering in the States

Edited by Marty Backe

6 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

How did Ian enter this picture :blink1: He also may be getting screwed by Ninebot, I don't know, but Jason is the one suffering in the States

2 years ago (or whenever) Ninebot suddenly and without warning stopped selling wheels and replacement parts for existing wheels!!! to Ian and other dealers. Apparently trying to get into direct sales or whatever stupid idea they had. This situation reminded me of that.

I edited my other post, it was indeed easy to misread.

Edited by meepmeepmayer
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

2 years ago (or whenever) Ninebot suddenly and without warning stopped selling wheels and replacement parts for existing wheels!!! to Ian and other dealers. Apparently trying to get into direct sales or whatever stupid idea they had. This situation reminded me of that.

I edited my other post, it was indeed easy to misread.

Oh, now I get the reference. The way it was worded I thought you were posting about Ian and not Jason. :thumbup:

14 minutes ago, Jason McNeil said:

Ha! There's definitely varying degrees of this: King Song, followed by Gotway are probably the best companies making Wheels these days. Hubris is a factor, with the success of the Scooter rentals market, the prevailing attitude has been one of 'you're small fry & don't really matter in our universe'. Which I guess is true, but why spend 2.5+ years making a cool product, if the position is going to be to confine it to the middle-kingdom, as an unloved orphan child?    

Whether Ninebot's scooter thrust works out or not, it is always a bad idea to get too arrogant in the business world. They may get a rude awakening when they see bureaucrats in full gear. Twelve years ago an auto chain flooded the market here in Pennsylvania with cheap gas scooters. Many riders were careless and dangerous in their driving habits. The end results was "all" kick scooter types (gas/electric) were and are still banned in the entire state. Given the profile of the average EUC enthusiast, I doubt you will lose many sales steering people to the KS18XL or MSX.  The alternative would be to lose your good name or go broke. 

• Like 2

@Jason McNeil I proceeded as per your instructions. I checked, disconnected and reconnected battery connectors. No change at all.

Also, as per this picture the battery has its 2 blue leds which indicates most likely that the battery is not faulty and that 

Finally, as indicated, I am able to power on the unit, even though it will not charge and the data from the battery is inconsistent.

This sound more like an issue with the controller board.

I will use the return label you sent me (thanks for that) and ship it back to you today as I have the time to go to a Fedex store.

Emmanuel

2018-11-18 13.22.26.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jason McNeil said:

I know, but one has to face facts, if 12% of the Wheel don't work out of the box, the supplier is completely indifferent to product quality, & you're met with a wall of silence, it would be ruinous to continue the program.   

Despite my own experiences with the wheel, with a failure rate like that I can’t in good conscience recommend a Z10 to anyone, and makes me worried about the overall longevity of the wheel.  Such information really should get tagged to the top of the forum to warn off anyone considering such a big gamble.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

This is not encouraging at all. This might be last chance saloon for Ninebot EUC market share. The P was a disaster too with failures. Talk about shooting once foot. :facepalm:

• Like 1

Very bad news on the Z10 failure rate, I better find out if I'm in the same boat, it's been too cold here. I hope the Z10 remains available so that parts will be available and easily accessible.  Ninebot better not mess this one up or their EUC days could be over; the sad thing is that may not even bother them.