GT16 Top Speed Test - Fall at 51km/h without protection

2 hours ago, Nic said:

The law does (and should) favour the rights of those more vulnerable over those less vulnerable. That is why disabled people are allowed to drive their mobility scooters on sidewalks (4 mph max), but cars and motorcyles are not allowed on sidewalks. The sidewalk and footpaths are the only place that pedestrians can feel safe. If you are suggesting that pedestrians give up the sidewalk to electric powered vehicles such as scooters and EUCs, then pedestrians have nowhere safe to go and I can't see anyone else allowing this to happen. If pedestrians feel unsafe, then it is the thing that is causing them to feel unsafe that will be banned. Please use the roads if you want to armour up and ride fast.

Happens all the time with mixed use pathways.  There is no issue, there is no problem, there are only people with opinions.

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Scatcat said:

I think what triggered us, was the idea that you should negate your own safety to be "nice" to pedestrians. It sounds like a rationalization much like those who refuse to consider a bike-helmet and point to some obscure statistics about helmets and accidents.

You are right, it sounded too moral, over the edge. I don't wear helmets, it worked fine for me, but I am not advocating for it, gearing up is fine  :) 

The problem is that you will fall, sooner or later, even if you never top 15mph. When you do, all the reasoning in the world about reasons not to wear at least basic gear will come back and bite you violently.

That was what trigged me, Marty said that too, I really hope time will keep proving you wrong, but we will see I guess. :)

4 hours ago, travsformation said:

I know. We're talking about the same thing. My girlfriend's purse scares the living crap out of me....it's a perceived threat; I can't help but think that if she drops it on my foot, or swings around and hits me in the face with it, it'll be the equivalent of being whacked by a brick :efee612b4b:

Chocolate and flowers at strategically times...and of course the occasional compliment..not too frequently but yet when they have most impact, and knowledge of thread of that handbag..then you are relative safe..almost 😉

@Hunka Hunka Burning Love is the dodgemaster of handbags or so I have heard.

:D  Everyone loves me when they see me riding!  Especially little dogs with loud barks!  :blink:  What scares me when driving in my car are those aggressive drivers with big Monster trucks, super large tires, missing muffler, front tubular fender bumpers and a raised chassis.  If they drove by at legal speeds, didn't tailgate and shared the road politely I would have no problem with them.  I guess they feel more secure and protected with those modifications to their ride... :whistling: 

f5843ee2a12687ac00534d89fb94feb1.jpg

13 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Especially little dogs with loud barks! 

in my ninebot c+, firmware 1.4.3 for e+ did miracles on that aspect. :)

before it was like I was calling them from a distance, now they mostly ignore me, some sound frequency must have changed. :)

16 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Even small sheep seem finely attuned to our rotating EUC shield frequencies!  :whistling:

That sheep has got a st*ffy just looking at that EUC ... I am assuming its the EUC.:wub:

This makes a good case for the rider (and sheep) to wear protection. :innocent1:

is it me, or does the guy say go to his dog as he lets it loose? :blink:

this makes a good case for not wearing gear, that way you can hear clearly while riding, go back and ask him if he did that on purpose, throw him off the cliff and continue the beautiful ride. 

3 hours ago, enaon said:

but why is it a matter of right/wrong, why should it be our way or the highway? :)

I get what I am trying to say, apparently, but also get what you or Marty say, all can happen in the same time as long as the reasoning is valid. If I am on the sidewalk riding and I see you coming on the other direction looking like the Green Goblin from spiderman, I will just slow down and take cover, you will pass by and life will go on, just like you let a suv go first when driving a bike. Safety first. :)

As I have found out, a good headlight when riding in the dark makes pedestrians feel unsecure. The wheel is very silent, the light just kreeps in behind them and makes them jump, I always see it comming and slow down to counter for it, have a little chat and off I go. I am not against lights, but it is a reality I have faced. I have two light sources now, a far throwing source and an ambient one, I only ride with the ambient on when on sidewalks. :)

I feel what you are saying. In the final analysis. Let's just ride guys,  respect each other, ourselves, and other people and everything else will work itself out. 

2 hours ago, enaon said:

That was what trigged me, Marty said that too, I really hope time will keep proving you wrong, but we will see I guess. :)

That we will. I hope you're right, or at least that it won't be too painful if you're not...

---

Hello all you veteran riders here @Marty Backe, @The Fat Unicyclist, @eddiemoy, @meepmeepmayer, @Hunka Hunka Burning Love, @Rehab1, @esaj, @YoshiSkySun, and all you others that I failed to use as examples. How many of you have managed not to fall flat at least once - in a way that made you happy to have gear on, or unhappy you didn't?

We'll see what kind of replies we get...

2 hours ago, Scatcat said:

How many of you have managed not to fall flat at least once - in a way that made you happy to have gear on, or unhappy you didn't?

Well put, @Scatcat

In less than two months I've lost track of the falls already, but protection has saved me from knee and elbow damage every time; an unfortunate slow-speed fall (wearing wrist guards) ended up in an articular contusion, but without the wrist guards...who knows...Broken wrist maybe?

All I can say is that the one day I didn't wear any protective gear (10' run to do some errand, where's the risk...?), I got hit by a car, and was extremely lucky to come out with only a few minor bruises. Protection is a MUST in my book.

And linking back to the "protective gear being perceptively threatening to pedestrians" sub-thread, I'm of the opinion of @meepmeepmayer. Change and progress are inevitable. People have to adapt, whether they like it or not, and whether we're talking about EUCs, wind turbines ("They ruin the idyllic view", as detractors tend to say), smartphones or twitter ("Damn youth and their electric gadgets!"). If the mainstream media can adapt to include Trump's incessant tweets in the evening news (and people have not only accepted that tweets are now newsworthy, but take them for granted), I reckon they can also adapt to non-polluting electric personal mobility vehicles. Yeah, there might be a learning curve associated with change...but it's an undeniable fact that that curve exists for everyone and starts with the startling contrast of exiting the womb and entering the outside world... yet I don't see anyone complaining about birth and how traumatic it is to have to adapt to such a sudden and drastic change ;):efee612b4b:

Our riding season is short here (unless you live in Edmonton :whistling:), and I rode for over 2200 combined kms with only one fall that left me with lingering injuries.  The other 2 or 3 ended up with minor scratches and run offs.  I consider that not too bad of a record!  :w00t2:  Over the years I've geared up more and more, but I realized that it's still no guarantee to keep you safe.  It does help minimize the injuries that can be minimized though that's for certain.  I value my skin, bones, and joints as well as noggin so I try to protect them as much as possible.  Other people have different priorities, and that's up to them.  If people want to make their gear decisions based on what pedestrians might think, that's certainly their choice.  I respect that, but I also respect that gravity will eventually change their minds.  :popcorn:

53 minutes ago, Scatcat said:

That we will. I hope you're right, or at least that it won't be too painful if you're not...

---

Hello all you veteran riders here @Marty Backe, @The Fat Unicyclist, @eddiemoy, @meepmeepmayer, @Hunka Hunka Burning Love, @Rehab1, @esaj, @YoshiSkySun, and all you others that I failed to use as examples. How many of you have managed not to fall flat at least once - in a way that made you happy to have gear on, or unhappy you didn't?

I am glad I had my gear on when a Volvo V90 decided to pass a car holding still and then the V90 used my lace despite I came head on to him. This forced me into a water filled pot hole as he left me no room to manoeuvre. I had less than 50 cm between curb and V90. Pot hole was more than 20cm wide. I ended up slowing down but my V8 at or still as it hit the buttom sending me forward into a twisting half tumble cushioned by my Flexmeter and hardshell backpack and d30 hip padding in my MC pullover trousers.

The crash happen at 10-15 kmh as I kinda anticipated it happening. 

1 hour ago, Scatcat said:

---

Downtown DC. KS18AY. This particular FP was a cutout. I was wearing a helmet, wrist,  elbow & knee pads. Sustained some bruising to my hip area, and managed to lacerate a finger, but overall walked away unscathed. Embarrassed, but quite glad to be wearing gear that day. As I said in my earlier post on this thread. When I know I am hitting the streets of DC I gear up lovely. The older and more cautious I get the more I seem to be choosing to armor up. 

1 hour ago, Scatcat said:

That we will. I hope you're right, or at least that it won't be to painful if you're not...

---

The one time I fell is off my boosted board when I was learning.  Two weeks into it I got bold and stop wearing my full gear.  That is the day I fell avoiding a car.  Worst fall of my life, still hurting from it 9 months later.  Looking back it was stupid and I do wish I was wearing my gear.  Everytime I don't wear gear, I am taking risk.

The other time I fell testing the braking on the new V10F, I didn't feel a thing because I had my moto elbow/forearm guards on, forgot my gloves.  Didn't break skin.  I popped back up like it was nothing.  Huge difference.  

Those are the only two falls I've had, I don't want to jinx myself... LOL

8 minutes ago, RockyTop said:

It would not be so bad if they didn't increase the effects of gravity every year. :angry:

I don't know why but those magical blows (no cheeky comment needed @Hunka Hunka Burning Love) a mom do when you were 4 or 5 years old and you had a fall or finger got stuck in a door slamming shut, don't seem to work anymore when you are 40-50 years old...

12 minutes ago, eddiemoy said:

The one time I fell is off my boosted board when I was learning.  Two weeks into it I got bold and stop wearing my full gear.  That is the day I fell avoiding a car.  Worst fall of my life, still hurting from it 9 months later.  Looking back it was stupid and I do wish I was wearing my gear.  Everytime I don't wear gear, I am taking risk.

The other time I fell testing the braking on the new V10F, I didn't feel a thing because I had my moto elbow/forearm guards on, forgot my gloves.  Didn't break skin.  I popped back up like it was nothing.  Huge difference.  

Those are the only two falls I've had, I don't want to jinx myself... LOL

For whatever reason it seems you need that incident to learn the lesson on everyone here is warning not to take the risk....we see these post happening time after time...But I am a bit puzzled that they still keep comming....ohh wait I did that too...But wearing my full gear at the time....upgraded after that.

The faster you ride, the more protection you need. I'm thinking something like...

• Max speed below 10 mph ... no protection required.
  • Max speed below 15 mph ... cycling helmet and gloves.
  • Max speed above 15+ mph ... full-face helmet, gloves, wrist guards, elbow and knee pads.

Wear as much protection as you feel is necessary so if you want to gear up for all trips, then do it.

Age and fitness level plays a part.

What do you guys think? I don't really like wearing all the protection gear, so if I can get away with it on slower trips, then why not?

OK, glad that nothing happens, but Sorry I can't understand why the guy who fell Is so unbelievable stupid. Maxing out without protection isn't a good idea...and somebody wrote that he did fell in the past already...

I am really pissed by this stupidity-this is bad for all euc riders and our and other euc communities. Even that TV channels in Spain have reported over that crash...in Germany this would have been end in a total Desaster, the German state would have banned everything according to eucs - even a euc helmet would have been forbidden here, because eucs and euc riders are *the pure evil coming from hell* and driving only rude and intolerant. 

If you wanna Kill yourself, you can do it, but do it with legal stuff like bicycles, motorcycles, your car our a knife - but please not with an euc, because the community and all others will suffer from that. 

1 hour ago, RockyTop said:

It would not be so bad if they didn't increase the effects of gravity every year. :angry:

Decrease the effect... join weight watchers. ;)

22 minutes ago, Nic said:

The faster you ride, the more protection you need. I'm thinking something like...

• Max speed below 10 mph ... no protection required.
  • Max speed below 15 mph ... cycling helmet and gloves.
  • Max speed above 15+ mph ... full-face helmet, gloves, wrist guards, elbow and knee pads.

Wear as much protection as you feel is necessary so if you want to gear up for all trips, then do it.

Age and fitness level plays a part.

What do you guys think? I don't really like wearing all the protection gear, so if I can get away with it on slower trips, then why not?

I'd tend to disagree with that...you can loose all your teeth at 5 mph...and with a 15 mph faceplant, I don't think a bicycle helmet will be of much help... better go for a full face helmet. And knee, wrist and elbow guards will save you a lot of pain, not only below 15 mph (which isn''t that slow if you think of it in terms of bones hitting solid ground or soft flesh grating against coarse asphalt), but in any fall, at any speed...

Archived