GT16 Top Speed Test - Fall at 51km/h without protection

5 hours ago, eddiemoy said:

Weird thing is in his previous videos he at least was wearing a helmet.  Kind of like when i fell on my boosted board, i was wearing full gear except on the day that i fell.  LMAO.

Who was it that posted that video about the skater that got serious head trauma? It was like the only time he left the helmet home because he couldn't find it, and was in too much of a hurry to look...

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, Lutalo said:

If reading the safety warnings in the user manual is too exhausting for these individuals.

We all know that many people do not read manuals. More importantly, we also know that many safety warnings are completely out of any reasonable proportion. Just for example, we have seen EUC user manuals that restricts the riding age from 18 to 50, IIRC. My user manual says, for example

• do not conduct sudden turns
  • do not drive on grass, gravel road, wet and slippery roads
  • do not drive in the motor vehicle lanes

I am sure you have followed all these instructions, right?

6 hours ago, Scatcat said:

Who was it that posted that video about the skater that got serious head trauma? It was like the only time he left the helmet home because he couldn't find it, and was in too much of a hurry to look...

Yep, it only takes that one time!  

48 minutes ago, Mono said:

I am sure you have followed all these instructions, right?

Really? Dude, Come on. I feel like the context has been lost here. What exactly are you attempting to debate; that it makes sense for someone to jump their ass on a performance wheel and go balls out without protective equipment because it is not realistic to expect people to take reasonable precautions to protect themselves, as this behavior is somehow less ridiculous than the actual safety warnings in the manual? :confused1: 

We will just have to agree to disagree, and I am cooler than a popsicle with that.

1 hour ago, Lutalo said:

Really? Dude, Come on. I feel like the context has been lost here. 

This is how it went:

18 hours ago, Lutalo said:

I think that it should be quite clear to all riders that if you push the wheel beyond its limits it will fail,

17 hours ago, Mono said:

I can totally understand that a casual consumer does not expect a product to fail by design in an entirely unsafe way.

16 hours ago, Lutalo said:

If reading the safety warnings in the user manual is too exhausting for these individuals. Then, I suppose "shooting themselves to see if the bullets work" will have to do. 

3 hours ago, Mono said:

many safety warnings [in manuals] are completely out of any reasonable proportion [...] I am sure you have followed all these instructions, right?

1 hour ago, Lutalo said:

Really? Dude, Come on.

BTW, shooting themselves to see if the bullet works is a flawed analogy, as this means to get hurt when the product works as expected, while our problem is that we get hurt when the product fails and we argue over the question whether this failure must be expected by all "normal" users.

17 minutes ago, Mono said:

This is how it went:

BTW, shooting themselves to see if the bullet works is a flawed analogy, as this means to get hurt when the product works as expected, while our problem is that we get hurt when the product fails and we argue over the question whether this failure must be expected by all "normal" users.

:facepalm: This is cancerous. You are actually microscoping my analogy? Dude. Your friends and coworkers must consider you an absolute blast. My comment was about the video and a guy who obviously did something dangerous. Yet, you want to debate minutiae? Semantics? 

At the risk of another of my simple analogies undergoing the surgical knife I will try simile. This conversation is like a phone that I am hanging up; CLICK!

Even wearing a bunch of protection won't guarantee your safety plus sometimes it can give people a false sense of security making them go even faster.  Hopefully the Darwinian effect will prevail, and lessons will be learned.  It's often the luck of the draw when falling off these one wheeled death traps!

9 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Even with wearing a bunch of protection won't guarantee your safety plus sometimes it can give people a false sense of security making them go even faster. Hopefully the Darwinian effect will prevail

you can't quite mean the thing I had in mind when I read "Darwinian effect" :efef36327c:

9 hours ago, Master Ong said:

Since no one answered my topic. How do we unlock Rockwheel to get up to that speed?

Max speed is determined by the set tilt-back speed as 

told you.

Maybe this set tilt-back speed can be increased with darknessbot or wheellog. You stated that  darkness bot said, that it did not manage to apply - so this app had a problem?

You have tried to set the tiltback speed to 0 - maybe this deactivates tilt-back?

While trying to get your Gt16 speed up, maybe you want to take another look at these X-Rays posted here to stay cautious:

8 hours ago, Chriull said:

...self-censored...

Shouldn't we better stop giving such kind of hints or advise?

I mean, people may figure out this kind of stuff by themselves in which case they also may figure out the possibly devastating consequences. If they don't, why giving them a lead in the former?

49 minutes ago, Mono said:

Shouldn't we better stop giving such kind of hints or advise?

Maybe. If i remember the discussion right about deactivating tiltback for Gotways the forum was quite split with pro and contra?

As beeing a moderator this would also go on to think about allowing topics like the ninebot tiltback mods. Or just allowing topics reporting accidents in because of overleans after tiltback disabling?

Is allowing such posts/topics just a passive action or also active "aid"?

As long as there is no specific forum "guideline" against tiltback disabling/mods i think i will just continue, maybe a little bit less active?. A long time vision of mine is to post a simple/nice/readable and understandable pinned topic about overlean and EUC limits. I have the feeling that my numerous links to https://forum.electricunicycle.org/topic/7855-anatomy-of-an-overlean/?do=findComment&comment=107721 get ignored? Too many numbers, some strange graphs and too complicated? In all the overlean topics i posted this there was never a reply - either the people took the information quietly or just ignored it (maybe not even clicking the link)? So i did a first quick "rework" on this with https://forum.electricunicycle.org/topic/11477-what-speed-is-safe-to-ride/?do=findComment&comment=201203, but i seems as that did not really change too much?

49 minutes ago, Mono said:

I mean, people may figure out this kind of stuff by themselves in which case they also may figure out the possibly devastating consequences.

Yes - the more time one has the higher the chance to also read some boring topics and learn something :ph34r:

@Chriull, for the time being my suggestion was a discouragement on an individual personal level for each and everyone to decide on their own. I didn't mean to invoke moderator actions.

21 minutes ago, Chriull said:

A long time vision of mine is to post a simple/nice/readable and understandable pinned topic about overlean and EUC limits. I have the feeling that my numerous links to https://forum.electricunicycle.org/topic/7855-anatomy-of-an-overlean/?do=findComment&comment=107721 get ignored? Too many numbers, some strange graphs and too complicated? In all the overlean topics i posted this there was never a reply - either the people took the information quietly or just ignored it (maybe not even clicking the link)? So i did a first quick "rework" on this with https://forum.electricunicycle.org/topic/11477-what-speed-is-safe-to-ride/?do=findComment&comment=201203, but i seems as that did not really change too much?

This is hard to measure, but I don't think so. What in general happens is that some people do read and understand. Then they serve as multiplicators to spread the knowledge. They may even have forgotten the source of their knowledge, hence the source will not get the credit it deserves, but at least it served the desired purpose.

I am definitely for make these more visible to get more multiplicators in the boat :)

BTW, I have the same feeling with my (few) safety related topic posts.

I almost think people should have to pass a test on how the EUC works and why the EUC has less power to hold you upright at higher speeds before they can ride one. As stated he had been up to 58km before so 51km should not have been a problem. It seems that people do not understand that a slight bump with an added pole and camera or a slight motion on the riders part can over power the wheel 51km while smooth riding at 58km might not over power the wheel. All they see is the speed and not the lack of ability to correct the off balance motion. 

I don’t like to see people get hurt but Darwin has really been getting robbed over the last 50 years.

@Mono & @Lutalo should I bring out the pop-corn?

As for tilt back on the GT16. The speed related tiltback is freely changeable, with the official app or with wheellog etc. The 80%-power tiltback is not, nor should it be. But as the tiltback on the GT16 is pretty mild, it is pretty easy to "ride the tiltback", with predicable consequences...

The official top speed is something like ~48kph at ~80% battery, but of course that depends on road and weight. When you're that close to the limit, running over a bloody earth worm could well be enough to send you flying. My personal top speed on the GT16 is 42kph, I really wouldn't go much faster than that unless fully kitted, with 100% battery, and a controlled environment. Keeping the max around 40kph, is plenty fast, and gives you some 20% margin for bad batteries and unforseen obstacles.

If there was any single thing I didn't like with the GT16, it was the 4p configuration of the packs. That means higher voltage drops compared to a 6p, which I imagine makes cruising close to the limit even more hazardous.

2 hours ago, adampj said:

The video seems to have been taken down... Curious to see. Does anyone have any alternative links?

That doesn't come as a big surprise. I have downloaded it but I will respect the will of the original poster and not put it online again. It's not super interesting in itself anyways.

4 hours ago, RockyTop said:

I almost think people should have to pass a test on how the EUC works and why the EUC has less power to hold you upright at higher speeds before they can ride one.

+1:thumbup: as a test to unlock speed, even though it's too impracticable to become reality any time soon.

4 hours ago, Mono said:

That doesn't come as a big surprise. I have downloaded it but I will respect the will of the original poster and not put it online again. It's not super interesting in itself anyways.

Boooo, and you know it if you are being honest.  Not super interesting?  Most interesting thing posted here since i joined. :P 

This is the internet, he uploaded it and its now ours.  Cant erase the internet.  Ask Beyonce or UC Davis.. :lol:  

Please post and save me the trouble of digging it out of archives.  Ill do it man, im crazy like that.

14 hours ago, Mono said:

you can't quite mean the thing I had in mind when I read "Darwinian effect" :efef36327c:

What thing did you have in mind?  I was just trying to point out that people who choose to do these sorts of tests hopefully soon learn that they aren't indestructible, and they evolve in their thinking and realize that there are some factors involved which are difficult to compute so doing these "maximum" speed tests are highly dangerous and not generally advisable.  The ones who don't realize this tend to continue on their way to more injuries and possibly the end of their riding days.  Isn't that a sort of natural evolutionary process at work?

Archived